Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

tenderjerk posted:

it rules that we have gaslit ourselves as a society to where summer flu is a thing you get every summer and I think has always been a thing??

Lmao and the year long "allergy season"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Thoguh posted:

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

It's kind of crazy that it feels like there was a catastrophic change in the administrative capacity of the US in the last 20 years but nothing that happened in the last 20 years quite feels dramatic enough. Like I can't draw a line between 9/11 and "we no longer attempt to improve health outcomes for our citizens" and nothing else that's happened since then is nearly as dramatic.

And I know that the actual answer is "the cumulative effects of reactionary judges finally broke the back of the administrative state and now the only force in the country is inertia" but like, future historians are going to want to point to some singular event like the Battle of Manzikert or something.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I have literally never heard of this stuff before

https://twitter.com/BigBadDenis/status/1706616232420802781

It's almost as if we just suddenly had our population become immunocompromised for some reason that's allowing other obscure diseases to make a surge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the facade of public health was always hollow it just took covid to point it out

capital was never going to do the things necessary to combat covid

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

euphronius posted:

I think the facade of public health was always hollow it just took covid to point it out

i think giving up on covid made it illogical to do anything but give up on anything less immediately dangerous than covid, which unfortunately is most aspects of public health. so we just gotta give up as hard as we can wherever we can, forever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tulip posted:

It's kind of crazy that it feels like there was a catastrophic change in the administrative capacity of the US in the last 20 years but nothing that happened in the last 20 years quite feels dramatic enough. Like I can't draw a line between 9/11 and "we no longer attempt to improve health outcomes for our citizens" and nothing else that's happened since then is nearly as dramatic.

And I know that the actual answer is "the cumulative effects of reactionary judges finally broke the back of the administrative state and now the only force in the country is inertia" but like, future historians are going to want to point to some singular event like the Battle of Manzikert or something.

It was the election of Obama being used as a wedge to vilify any and all government action OP

as stated a few posts up, the smoking bans were the last effective public health measures we ever did and they're also the last effective public policy things we ever did. the right leveraged racism to make the government illegitimate in all ways

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i do wonder if we'll eventually see MAID pushes for people who are on their tenth infection or whatever in the US.

someone might make some nice money on it. picture a pharma ad depicting a 35-year-old walking over a hill toward a lovely sunset.

"you've had a good life, but when you know, you know. quietus: end it on your terms."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

really breaking my brain that people are just saying “well it’s cold and flu season so”

it’s September !!!

edit

look at this PTO email I got :

HAPPY TUESDAY! First of all, it's cold and flu season so your [school] could use TISSUES! LOTS OF TISSUES! Please deliver to the school

to be fair, the US CDC kicks off the next flu season next Monday

but also,

what could possibly be happening here?!??

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I got a slut juice appointment at CVS for Friday. Now, I'm just waiting for inevitable text informing me that they've run out of vaccine and to try rescheduling another appointment at a future date.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

To add to the great points being made about public health, the mass adoption of social media seemingly fused together and further aligned the existing overlap between the batshit conspiracy theory crowd , the 'crunchy' crowd, and the far right. This created such a powerful, reactionary, and insulated environment, that it's nearly impossible for any outside voice to break through.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
The new trend from Long Covid denialists/BPS school proponents/FND pushers seems to be re-branding their forty year old regurgitated garbage as "bold" and "new" and "fresh" and "a paradigm shift". gently caress these people.

https://twitter.com/AlanCarson15/status/1705674937497751842

https://twitter.com/benryanwriter/status/1706436832022471162

(Also, who the gently caress is that Eli Klein dude? He shows up in literally every Long Covid thread making GBS threads on patients. He seems to do nothing but harass the sick and disabled, what a vile, ugly, horrible little man.)

A good rebuttal in which Dr. Iwasaki is trying her goddamned best to not betray her incredulity at the lack of evidence or even a convincing disease mechanism offered by the FND proponents.

https://twitter.com/AnilvanderZee/status/1705051650405069241

(ME/CFS history pt. 4 coming at some point, last three months have been 80% in bed, and when I was up I was building a Linux based Plex streaming server for my parents/me to use and populating it with pirated legally obtained media.)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Thoguh posted:

And at the same time gloves weren't standard PPE for doctors either.

And 20 years ago if you went to a bar you had no choices that didn't include being surrounded by secondhand smoke. Now smokers are basically banned from being in public. No way we'd pull that off now.

it's time to let me smoke in bars again.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zodium posted:

hot take: it would reduce Covid transmission in bars

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Really not feeling optimistic about the future generally.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Really not feeling optimistic about the future generally.

Wow, do you want Donald Trump to win?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mdemone posted:

hot take: it would reduce Covid transmission in bars

It would do the opposite as we already have several studies that shows that air pollution increases covid transmission by both damaging the lungs and give the virus another comfy seat hitching a ride on the particles

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

It would do the opposite as we already have several studies that shows that air pollution increases covid transmission by both damaging the lungs and give the virus another comfy seat hitching a ride on the particles

well, poo poo.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

NeonPunk posted:

It's almost as if we just suddenly had our population become immunocompromised for some reason that's allowing other obscure diseases to make a surge

I think the only thing that might even register to people in general is a significant enough lethality, since covid propaganda has eased people into thinking if a disease doesn't kill you there's no problem.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zodium posted:

the things that we think of as dangerous as compared to covid, which is over, are nuts.

drunk driving? gently caress, positively responsible compared to indoor dining.

if you're over 40, a covid infection is more dangerous than piloting small planes for several hundred hours.

maybe i'll learn how to fly sailplanes if i'm not done in by having kids in school by then. hard to get exact figures, but looks like 100 hours of that is about equivalent to a single covid infection.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Insanite posted:

oh my loving god, i called to check on things and give the pax/remdesivir spiel and he told me that his doctor told him to "wait a day, and then test again" just to be sure.

forgot to mention that he's taking immunosuppressants, too. lol. loving wisdom. loving america.

:stare: Sorry everything is so stupid. Like, what's even the benefit in waiting another day? Why are doctors like this?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It's really getting harder and harder to combat all of this bullshit. The worst people in the world have thoroughly won the information war, and not only were they able to rewrite history, but they've somehow managed to rewrite what's actually taking place in real time. It's absolutely insane.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cybernetic capitalism ftw

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

euphronius posted:

celadon posted:

i think giving up on covid made it illogical to do anything but give up on anything less immediately dangerous than covid, which unfortunately is most aspects of public health. so we just gotta give up as hard as we can wherever we can, forever

:hmmrona:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

this was big time early LAST winter in these parts. lol just going from region to region doing the virus boogie

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

celadon posted:

I forget which country it was but the "kids can come to school with symptomatic chicken pox because asymptomatic chicken pox exists and that's too hard to deal with so who cares, go nuts" thing was a nice crack-ping the other day.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I forget which country it was but the "kids can come to school with symptomatic chicken pox because asymptomatic chicken pox exists and that's too hard to deal with so who cares, go nuts" thing was a nice crack-ping the other day.

at least their parents aren’t forcibly infecting them with chickenpox like my generation

shouldn’t the chickenpox vaccine be administered before school age anyways? oh right we have recently learned that vaccines don’t grant immunity and a lot of people will go out of their way to not get vaccinated

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Covid doesn't exist and is mild, therefore all infectious disease doesn't exist, is unavoidable, and is mild.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much of the income podcasts like Stuff You Should Know make is from live events and Chapo is no different. They were doing live shows into April 2020 when it was already well known that large gatherings killed people. So gently caress ‘em.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

free pfc! christman is a murderer!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Why Am I So Tired posted:

https://twitter.com/Alitis__/status/1704937105678327914

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

i do wonder if we'll eventually see MAID pushes for people who are on their tenth infection or whatever in the US.

someone might make some nice money on it. picture a pharma ad depicting a 35-year-old walking over a hill toward a lovely sunset.

"you've had a good life, but when you know, you know. quietus: end it on your terms."

You're going to have the following choice at the voting booth in like fifteen years:

Democrats: we need to enable means tested access to ethical medically assisted dying so that all the people maimed by our policies can quietly and mildly kill themselves, bless
Republicans: parasites are sucking the blood of our pure white society and must be purged

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

You're going to have the following choice at the voting booth in like fifteen years:

Democrats: we need to enable means tested access to ethical medically assisted dying so that all the people maimed by our policies can quietly and mildly kill themselves, bless
Republicans: parasites are sucking the blood of our pure white society and must be purged

seems like it's shaping up to be the most important election of our lifetimes

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

RadiRoot posted:

free pfc! christman is a murderer!

dont want to eat a 6er for covid scolding or w/e but one chapo covid thread-related thing i remember is felix going from following and posting about eric fiegl-ding to following and posting about chise, right around the time they did their 2020 tour, and i thought it was kind of a funny trajectory

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been reading about the covid wave and wondering when it'll hit people I know. Well:

Suddenly, just today, my son is sick and we kept him home.
Someone I know in another state is sick. Someone I know in colorado is sick. 2 people I know in CA are sick. This is just today!!! I've been hearing nothing from people I know until now. It's like suddenly it's all 'coming together' as it were.

edit: looks like we're past the peak of the wave, according to the walgreens covid index. Somehow it's hitting people I know today though.

https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare-solutions/covid-19-index

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it is covid season.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we're on the back side of the wave that will become the trough until the holidays when the actual wave hits

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeonPunk posted:

I mentioned this last year but my coworker who was a totally healthy - never missed a day of work kind of guy - after his 3rd covid infection got hospitalized from CMV - a virus that normally only is a risk to literal babies.

We are really in a new world with medical poo poo. It took them over a week to even diagnose him because it wasnt a virus they were looking for in a 40 year old healthy man.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

redreader posted:

I've been reading about the covid wave and wondering when it'll hit people I know. Well:

Suddenly, just today, my son is sick and we kept him home.
Someone I know in another state is sick. Someone I know in colorado is sick. 2 people I know in CA are sick. This is just today!!! I've been hearing nothing from people I know until now. It's like suddenly it's all 'coming together' as it were.

edit: looks like we're past the peak of the wave, according to the walgreens covid index. Somehow it's hitting people I know today though.

https://www.walgreens.com/healthcare-solutions/covid-19-index

My team at work is about a dozen people. Since mid august we've had 1 or 2 people from that group pop positive every single week. The intern was this week's sacrifice to Applebee's.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

we're on the back side of the wave that will become the trough until the holidays when the actual wave hits

I'm not even sure what the trough is gonna look like. Iowa has been riding high since at least the 4th of July and isn't showing signs of going down yet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

*looks in direction of Honeywell half-mask respirator*

it may be time again, my sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Due to being a broke bitch with broke bitch healthcare I can’t get my covid booster anywhere right now. This sucks. Wish there was still government money for these kinds of things.