Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's behind a paywall so I can't read the details but my surface level reaction is a giant yikes, the studios are going to absolutely gently caress them on that 100% no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Studios will be able to train their machine learning models on writers’ work. There might be more nuance in the details, but it looks like WGA at least partially buckled on their demand.

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/hollywood-studios-can-train-ai-models-on-writers-work-under-tentative-deal-aedae589

not great. salary increases aren’t going to matter much when writers are obsoleting themselves

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It'll be interesting to see if the membership accept it. Personally I'd be inclined to say no if I were a writer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m sure the same info will be available soon on the trade rags. But here’s my copy paste of the relevant sections from that WSJ article:

“Hollywood studios are expected to retain the right to train artificial-intelligence models based on writers’ work under the terms of a tentative labor agreement between the two sides, people familiar with the situation said.

The writers would also walk away with an important win, a guarantee that they will receive credit and compensation for work they do on scripts, even if studios partially rely on AI tools, one of the people said. That provision had been in an earlier offer from the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the group representing studios, streamers and networks.

[…]

AI bots, which provide sophisticated, humanlike responses to user questions, are “trained” on large amounts of data.

Entertainment executives didn’t want to relinquish the right to train their own AI tools based on TV and movie scripts, since their understanding is that AI tech platforms already are training their own models on such materials, people familiar with the matter said.

Entertainment companies are looking at the use of AI tools for everything from summarizing scripts to special-effects to promotional marketing, The Wall Street Journal reported.”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think wait and see the whole package on AI before judging based on a completely-devoid-from-context snippet leaked to the WSJ.

And really, the studios *own* the scripts. It's really hard to see the case against them being allowed to use AI tools to, say, analyse what works and what doesn't in the scripts they have. Writers have strong interests in not having AI replace them for writing and re-writing materials, and this might be a case of the contract saying "we agree to not use AI to write any material, but we're reserving the right to run AI analytics" or whatever. We don't know!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I hope there is something more concrete there otherwise all the strike did was give the writers a slightly nicer severance package for the next few years as AI eliminates the industry

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hoping for the best for the SAG strike on video games, of course, but the publishers feel more blood from a stone than the studio execs.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Feldegast42 posted:

I hope there is something more concrete there otherwise all the strike did was give the writers a slightly nicer severance package for the next few years as AI eliminates the industry
It will only eliminate the industry if the studios actually try to use it, as it will fail miserably.

I like this clause, as it sets a precedent that permission is required, thus helping to gently caress with the other LLMs that don't get it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Writers are going to want to use AI as a tool, because when well applied, it can be a very useful tool. It is not creative in any way and is certainly not 'intelligent.'

I totally get that writers are wary of AI and they have good reason to be - not because writers are in any danger of being replaced by AI, but rather that studios will create an outline out of some AI tool, then ask writers to 'punch it up,' allowing studios to not give writers full credit for their work. That to me is the really big problem, and it's the problem that I'm reasonably confident that the contract will address.

With regards to training AI on their work, I think it's a reasonable thing to give a little bit on as long as the former issue is dealt with. I know AI gets thrown out as a boogeyman and the messaging has been very negative on AI, mostly for good reasons. But giving this little bit (assuming that's all they are giving) doesn't seem like a bad trade to me. We'll see, I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Am I misremembering or wasn't there a recent court decision saying that AI-generated writing and/or art can't be copyrighted?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC they draw a distinction between something that has been fully generated by an AI and parts of a work that are human-generated. So you could generate a script, then have a writer take a second pass at it and copyright the derivative work.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Writers are going to want to use AI as a tool, because when well applied, it can be a very useful tool. It is not creative in any way and is certainly not 'intelligent.'

I totally get that writers are wary of AI and they have good reason to be - not because writers are in any danger of being replaced by AI, but rather that studios will create an outline out of some AI tool, then ask writers to 'punch it up,' allowing studios to not give writers full credit for their work. That to me is the really big problem, and it's the problem that I'm reasonably confident that the contract will address.

With regards to training AI on their work, I think it's a reasonable thing to give a little bit on as long as the former issue is dealt with. I know AI gets thrown out as a boogeyman and the messaging has been very negative on AI, mostly for good reasons. But giving this little bit (assuming that's all they are giving) doesn't seem like a bad trade to me. We'll see, I guess.

Yeah I've been trying to think of things the studios could do with AI trained on their scripts and whatever proprietary data they have and having the ability to take a script and ask "how many days of filming will this take? what's the estimated budget range on this script? how many distinct locations are there?" seems like it should be unobjectionable for writers.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn't there a recent court decision saying that AI-generated writing and/or art can't be copyrighted?

The raw output of an AI model isn't copyrightable, but as soon as you introduce any amount of human expression, that becomes copyrightable. That can be changes because of editing, a deliberate arrangement and juxtaposition, a whole bunch of stuff. There was a court case upholding the copyright office's guidance on this.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Copyright Office's guidance document on this is fairly readable (and makes a lot of sense to me). Section III is the most relevant part.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah I've been trying to think of things the studios could do with AI trained on their scripts and whatever proprietary data they have and having the ability to take a script and ask "how many days of filming will this take? what's the estimated budget range on this script? how many distinct locations are there?" seems like it should be unobjectionable for writers.

Should it? In what universe would such tools and analysis ever result in anything other than reduced budget and deadlines, the same crap they always want, with AI modeled after a century of them overworking underpaid people on too short of deadlines + whatever snake oil code techbro of the week wrote.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Not real until it's from the union itself of course, but if it's true I'm not surprised. The AI stuff always seemed like a sacrificial bargaining chip to make the case for the financial and room size stuff stronger.

When I saw actual writers talk about the strike, they always discussed residuals and room size first and foremost. The AI bit always felt very ancillary to me, it's just Twitter poisoned bloggers who seemed to believe it was more central to the union demands than it really was.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The end result of AI is people being fired, and anyone who thinks otherwise is drinking the tech bro Kool Aid. It's not a matter of if, it's when.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, it's a shame they gave ground on AI, but maybe there's thought any real enforceable structure on AI will have to come from the government anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm curious if they gave ground on AI learning from writers, but put in place stricter rules on not allowing AI written content to be used? I don't know if that's knowable yet, and even if so, that's probably a band-aid at best. And I'm just guessing here.

Basically, I want to know more.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I'm curious if they gave ground on AI learning from writers, but put in place stricter rules on not allowing AI written content to be used? I don't know if that's knowable yet, and even if so, that's probably a band-aid at best. And I'm just guessing here.

Basically, I want to know more.

What’s the point of making a training model for AI if it can’t be used though?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fart blood posted:

What’s the point of making a training model for AI if it can’t be used though?

It doesn't have to output the same kind of thing that you trained it on. They could use the AI to summarize scripts for lazy execs to read, they could use AI trained on scripts to fine-tune recommendations on streaming services, they could use AI tools to say "split this script and send relevant portions to each crewmember", whatever.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The end result of AI is people being fired, and anyone who thinks otherwise is drinking the tech bro Kool Aid. It's not a matter of if, it's when.

You could say that about all technology. The end result of replacing horses with cars is that a lot of horse trainers and horse poo poo cleaners lost their jobs. Some jobs opened up in terms of making the new horseless carriages and laying asphalt, among other things. The Trump chuds scream that shutting down a coal plant that spews pollution into the air means that coal plant workers get fired, and it's true. Intelligent switchboard technology meant that manual operators were ultimately unneeded. But then again someone has to learn the new tech and how to fix it, how to maintain it, etc.

New tech makes old jobs obsolete. People get fired. New jobs arise in their wake. This isn't some new silicon valley thing, it's just the way things work.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Curious what this means for the actors.

Actors buckling on AI is far less likely but I can see them approving AI scanning but only with written consent, but that’s a flawed compromise because studios will simply stop agreeing to hire actors that refuse to allow a scan.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I rather take a wait and see approach to this.

It seems like a story to make the WGA look like they lost the strike because they didn't do enough to protect themselves from A.I.

and Union busters will absolutely try and make it seem like they lost the strike like they did in 2007.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

This isn't some new silicon valley thing, it's just the way things work.

It's not really working out though. The dark bright side I can see here is that execs jobs seem like something AI could handle now with the added bonus of the AI can't get into all the same kind of gross abuses execs get up to. They also don't need executive level pay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Should it? In what universe would such tools and analysis ever result in anything other than reduced budget and deadlines, the same crap they always want, with AI modeled after a century of them overworking underpaid people on too short of deadlines + whatever snake oil code techbro of the week wrote.

Bolded the relevant point. I'm far from pro-AI but you said it yourself, they're gonna want to squeeze budget and deadlines with or without it. Having a shinier tool to point to instead of an Excel sheet isn't going to change that.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Khanstant posted:

It's not really working out though. The dark bright side I can see here is that execs jobs seem like something AI could handle now with the added bonus of the AI can't get into all the same kind of gross abuses execs get up to. They also don't need executive level pay.

Yeah but can you imagine the fire and fury if execs had their "work" used to train AIs. That level of business is about nothing but deceptive manipulation and exerting control. They know exactly what they want to do with other peoples real work so they will form diamond hard solidarity when those tools get directed towards culling their cushy jobs.

You aren't wrong that from an actual financial business stand point using AI to "lessen the strain" of being a C-suite is a good idea, but it's good idea for the shareholders. It's all long games when tech like this is be developed. Right now the shareholders need the AI supplanting workers to be normalized before the upper leadership can be eliminated by the same tech.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

E. Revenant posted:

Yeah but can you imagine the fire and fury if execs had their "work" used to train AIs. That level of business is about nothing but deceptive manipulation and exerting control. They know exactly what they want to do with other peoples real work so they will form diamond hard solidarity when those tools get directed towards culling their cushy jobs.

You aren't wrong that from an actual financial business stand point using AI to "lessen the strain" of being a C-suite is a good idea, but it's good idea for the shareholders. It's all long games when tech like this is be developed. Right now the shareholders need the AI supplanting workers to be normalized before the upper leadership can be eliminated by the same tech.

It's the same reason lawyer and politician jobs will be the last to be automated, if ever: when your entire job is making and interpreting the rules of society and commerce, it's trivial to use those rules to protect your own labor.

That said, I can absolutely see AI tech starting to supplant paralegal and campaign staffer work before too long.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Even if the writers had a guarantee of no AI consumption of their material…how would they prove the studios were using it? Right now LLM’s spit out “hallucinations” when the source dataset is known. Good luck proving Bing chat didn’t at one point scrape your google docs folder.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Let's become major shareholders and sue the executive team for not replacing themselves with AI execubots knowing it would make the company more profitable than a massive layoff round of actual workers already being underpaid. When the executives rally to pass laws protecting themselves we swoop in with a rogue pro-human senator to change the wording to protect people instead. All we really need to pull this plan off is immense amounts of wealth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ashpanash posted:

You could say that about all technology. The end result of replacing horses with cars is that a lot of horse trainers and horse poo poo cleaners lost their jobs. Some jobs opened up in terms of making the new horseless carriages and laying asphalt, among other things. The Trump chuds scream that shutting down a coal plant that spews pollution into the air means that coal plant workers get fired, and it's true. Intelligent switchboard technology meant that manual operators were ultimately unneeded. But then again someone has to learn the new tech and how to fix it, how to maintain it, etc.

New tech makes old jobs obsolete. People get fired. New jobs arise in their wake. This isn't some new silicon valley thing, it's just the way things work.

We're not talking about technology that makes physically dangerous or repetitive jobs obsolete, though. We're talking about creative arts. A car replacing a horse isn't the same as a computer replacing a writer or actor, and to even try and equate the two is completely insane to me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
An AI cannot write a script on its own right now, though. If we're worrying about hypothetical future generations of AI tech, maybe then, but ChatGPT -- impressive as it is -- falls down pretty spectacularly as soon as you find one of its limits and press at it. (For example, it has absolutely no concept of truth, and will merrily lie about anything if it thinks you'll like the answer better that way.)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes, I am not talking about tomorrow, I'm talking about 5, 10, 20 years from now.

Actually, maybe it's for the best. I watch too much TV anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CapnAndy posted:

For example, it has absolutely no concept of truth, and will merrily lie about anything

Wow, no wonder execs are so enamored with it! :haw:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-guild-strike-end-1235600992/

thr posted:

A historic Hollywood labor battle will soon be over.

The 148-day writers’ strike, the second longest in Writers Guild of America history, will conclude on 12:01 am PT Wednesday thanks to a vote from guild leadership that officially authorized some 11,500 members to return to work. Tasks that for months were prohibited by strike rules — pitching, selling scripts, taking meetings, responding to notes — will then be sanctioned, while writers’ rooms can reconvene.

“This allows writers to return to work during the ratification process, but does not affect the membership’s right to make a final determination on contract approval,” the WGA negotiating committee stated.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

We're not talking about technology that makes physically dangerous or repetitive jobs obsolete, though. We're talking about creative arts. A car replacing a horse isn't the same as a computer replacing a writer or actor, and to even try and equate the two is completely insane to me.

The palm pilot started the end of the rolodex and the end of a lot of secretarial jobs. (Not all of them, of course, but a lot of them.) CAD software killed off the jobs (or at least change them significantly) of some industrial artists. A modern CMS does the job that it used to take a whole dedicated team to do when putting together a newspaper. Why do I need an entire photography lab and staff when I have aftereffects?

Those are just off the top of my head.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck for those who get replaced. Of course it does. I wish we had a reasonable social net so those who lose their jobs can get back on their feet without going through in some cases abject poverty and debt. It's terrible what people have to go through when they lose their jobs. But that, in and of itself, is not a reason to stop innovating. Which, to be clear, I recognize that is not what you said - you said the end result of tech is people getting fired.

And you're right. And that sucks. But we should also recognize that it also does amazing things for people and opens up new jobs, new opportunities, new creative options, and sometimes entirely new ways of doing things - in some cases, much better ways. It isn't all doom and gloom, and accepting a bit of AI here and there isn't going to destroy the entire industry. In my view, do it slowly and carefully and put big guard rails on it - that is probably a lot better than just being tech-bro laissez-faire and letting whatever happens happen, while hopefully giving us more benefits with less pain.

It's not a certainty, but it's worth trying in the face of the inevitability of it all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
do you people workshop your talking points in a discord or something, all of you sound the loving same

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Summary of the agreements is now out, and the guild leadership have voted to end the strike as of midnight tonight PDT.

https://www.wgacontract2023.org/the...member-meetings

Someone actually in the industry will have to explain if they're satisfied with this, though.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

do you people workshop your talking points in a discord or something, all of you sound the loving same

Sorry for trying to have a conversation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, somewhat moot, because the WGA's larger summary seems to say that AI can't be used to write or rewrite by the studios. Writers can use AI tools to help them writer stuff but can't be required to, and if a studio has used AI to generate any material given to a writer, they have to disclose it.

The residuals thing sounds pretty decent too, to my non-industry eye.

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 27, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

This... seems like a good thing? Haven't we all been yelling for more mid-budget films for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

This... seems like a good thing? Haven't we all been yelling for more mid-budget films for years?

Yes, but my fear is the streamers would be doing it not to fill a gap in the market, but to avoid having to pay the improved terms.