Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Coldrice posted:

I actually think the term “Long Covid” sucks, and turns into another “mild” label. I feel like it downplays it, and gives people an easy “out” for their newfound health problems. It insinuates an unfortunate random happenstance that will go away at some point - just slightly later than other people.

It does, but of course it is just what the initial sufferers labelled it as, when they needed to communicate that something was still wrong with them. I prefer post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's called malingering :smugdog:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poppers posted:

The wording on this makes it sound like it won't work for me since my HMO covers it in full, but only at in network locations, none of which have stock yet. Also my hospital employer isn't offering it to employees for free either. Is so stupid...

:whitewater:

I am suddenly reminded of back in 2021 when my wife worked for Kroger and they told all their employees to get a free flu shot. They directed everyone upstairs to get the free shot, and all employees had to wear a "get your flu shot today" badge. My wife didn't do it only because we'd just gotten our flu shots through a drive thru clinic

A couple weeks later Kroger said that actually the flu shot in question isn't the one covered by union insurance, so they went to each employee and shook them down for the cost of the shots lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Regarding biomarkers, I don't think this was ever posted. It is a small study at a single location, but I think the implications here are pretty bad, while offering an accessible diagnostic tool for some PASC (here called PCS) sufferers:
"Persistent endothelial dysfunction in post-COVID-19 syndrome and its associations with symptom severity and chronic inflammation"

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10456-023-09885-6 posted:

Abstract
Background
Post-COVID-19 syndrome (PCS) is a lingering disease with ongoing symptoms such as fatigue and cognitive impairment resulting in a high impact on the daily life of patients. Understanding the pathophysiology of PCS is a public health priority, as it still poses a diagnostic and treatment challenge for physicians.

Methods
In this prospective observational cohort study, we analyzed the retinal microcirculation using Retinal Vessel Analysis (RVA) in a cohort of patients with PCS and compared it to an age- and gender-matched healthy cohort (n = 41, matched out of n = 204).

Measurements and main results
PCS patients exhibit persistent endothelial dysfunction (ED), as indicated by significantly lower venular flicker-induced dilation (vFID; 3.42% ± 1.77% vs. 4.64% ± 2.59%; p = 0.02), narrower central retinal artery equivalent (CRAE; 178.1 [167.5–190.2] vs. 189.1 [179.4–197.2], p = 0.01) and lower arteriolar-venular ratio (AVR; (0.84 [0.8–0.9] vs. 0.88 [0.8–0.9], p = 0.007). When combining AVR and vFID, predicted scores reached good ability to discriminate groups (area under the curve: 0.75). Higher PCS severity scores correlated with lower AVR (R = − 0.37 p = 0.017). The association of microvascular changes with PCS severity were amplified in PCS patients exhibiting higher levels of inflammatory parameters.

Conclusion
Our results demonstrate that prolonged endothelial dysfunction is a hallmark of PCS, and impairments of the microcirculation seem to explain ongoing symptoms in patients. As potential therapies for PCS emerge, RVA parameters may become relevant as clinical biomarkers for diagnosis and therapy management.
(..)

(..)

Article on the matter:
"Eyes Don’t Lie: Unlocking Long COVID Secrets Through Blood Vessels in the Eye"

https://scitechdaily.com/eyes-dont-lie-unlocking-long-covid-secrets-through-blood-vessels-in-the-eye/ posted:

A standardized eye examination might reveal in the future whether people are suffering from long Covid / post-Covid. A team of scientists was able to demonstrate a clear connection between the disease and certain changes to the blood vessels in the eye.

During an eye examination, the diameter of small blood vessels (left) and the dilation of vessels in response to light pulses (right) can be measured. Both are altered in people with long Covid. Credit: Department of Nephrology / TUM
(..)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It was the election of Obama being used as a wedge to vilify any and all government action OP

as stated a few posts up, the smoking bans were the last effective public health measures we ever did and they're also the last effective public policy things we ever did. the right leveraged racism to make the government illegitimate in all ways

The issue I have with this is if we date it from an election, then the election of Reagan's the thing, and the passing of the smoking ban becomes inexplicable.

And again I'm thinking about this from a historian's eye view, because I really like the thought experiment of "what if I take the way people explain things that happened 2000 years ago and apply them to my present." I don't know how much it helps me make sense of the present, but it does help me a bit empathize with the people of the past and feel a little more perspective about the limits of my explanations for long dead people.

Pingui posted:

It does, but of course it is just what the initial sufferers labelled it as, when they needed to communicate that something was still wrong with them. I prefer post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC).

I prefer "permanent disability" but eh.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Cowards at STAT changed headline from:

to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
thick Covid

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

Cowards at STAT changed headline from:

to

:pathetic:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

goddamnit I just realized I said epithelial when I meant endothelial. somewhere upthread.

I blame Covid brain

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

It's called malingering :smugdog:

western society is going to manage long covid with a combination of accusing sufferers of malingering, saying that people who got covid just didn't follow precautions and are chuds, and with anecdotal claims of "well XYZ got covid twice and they are fine."

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

U-DO Burger posted:

:whitewater:

I am suddenly reminded of back in 2021 when my wife worked for Kroger and they told all their employees to get a free flu shot. They directed everyone upstairs to get the free shot, and all employees had to wear a "get your flu shot today" badge. My wife didn't do it only because we'd just gotten our flu shots through a drive thru clinic

A couple weeks later Kroger said that actually the flu shot in question isn't the one covered by union insurance, so they went to each employee and shook them down for the cost of the shots lol

Lol epic. Grim but epic indeed.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Soap Scum posted:

been a little confused about this for a while, wondering if anyone has any theories.

so my area of the city (tracked in the graph below) has an enormous student population, like maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the residents are students. around late december 2021 / early january 2022 -- so, while most of these people were likely out of the city for the holidays -- there was a massive, massive spike in covid in wastewater analysis which has never been approached before or since:

i'm wondering exactly how it got so loving huge, especially given that case counts / hospitalizations / deaths / etc. -- which are monitored, i would say, pretty okay (obviously not great) here -- didn't seem so monumentally worse at that time compared to other times that are like, local maxima in that graph. (anecdotally, things are roughly as bad or maybe worse right now re: case counts here as they were at that time)

my two hypotheses are [a] the variant popular here at the time shows up in uniquely copious amounts in the GI tract, or [b] there was less wastewater from "non-individual" things (restaurants, businesses, whatever), leading a given case count in the population to register way higher per milliliter than it would had that same case count occurred in, like, mid february.

not just boston — every graph of cases or wastewater looks like this. and i do think that was truly a unique time when everyone started getting covid.

here are some other fun hypotheses:

[c] there's something fundamentally and universally off with the wastewater adjusting. remember, it's normalized against levels of a pepper virus: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9303839/

[d] there was an intraspecies jump in this time period, and all of the sewer rats (and maybe animals that drain into sewer) got covid at the exact same time and fed right into the system

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

Regarding biomarkers, I don't think this was ever posted. It is a small study at a single location, but I think the implications here are pretty bad, while offering an accessible diagnostic tool for some PASC (here called PCS) sufferers:
"Persistent endothelial dysfunction in post-COVID-19 syndrome and its associations with symptom severity and chronic inflammation"

Article on the matter:
"Eyes Don’t Lie: Unlocking Long COVID Secrets Through Blood Vessels in the Eye"

COVID is stored in the (eye) balls

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

KlavierVogel posted:

seriously short staffed :smith:
this was anecdotal, but i'll share it now

i visited seattle this summer. i live in nyc.

from the moment i landed at seatac, it was nothing but delays and short-staffing and unavailability.

1) there was no ground crew available for our flight. which arrived on time. we have to hold at the gate for about 20 minutes until one showed up.

2) baggage took nearly 30 minutes to arrive. i asked the delta baggage office if there was a problem while waiting, they said "lots of people gone today"

3) the bus to take me to the car rental area was running on a "modified" schedule. i just assume this is due to a lack of driver. i could be wrong!

4) the car rental plaza, which is massive at seatac, had no one at the hertz counter. empty. a handwritten sign that said to proceed to the "checkout" area. where there was one dude, and a line a couple dozen deep

5) swung through a fast food place at 9pm on a saturday. lobby was locked and closed, said you had to use the drive through, which was around the building. it was clear inside there were maybe four people working. again, not a strange time to be visiting such a place.

6) at the hotel i stayed at downtown for one night, a very nice hotel, there was no one at the desk. i looked around, asked someone else waiting (who also wondered where people were), and eventually someone came from around a corner, apologizing, saying that there was no housekeeping that night and she had to "help out."

7) i was also alerted that there as no room service that night, explicitly due to low staffing. it was a saturday night, at a luxury hotel, in seattle. (i didn't want such a thing, but it was remarkable)

8) the unaffiliated restaurant/bar that was at the hotel closed at 9pm. on a weekend. a restaurant run by a known chef in seattle. again, not something i wanted, but remarkable.

after my wife and i got to the room, we had a real "what the gently caress is going on here" talk. things can be weird from time to time in nyc, but this was bizarre, and was our first time spending serious time in another city since the pandemic started.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Sep 26, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Petey posted:

[c] there's something fundamentally and universally off with the wastewater adjusting. remember, it's normalized against levels of a pepper virus: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9303839/

There is some evidence that if they used tampons they'd get better results than just taking random samples.

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/art...rce%20settings.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-covid-testing-wastewater-tampons-20220725-hwau5aoljnherdlegumfa7yigm-story.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

euphronius posted:

I think the facade of public health was always hollow it just took covid to point it out

capital was never going to do the things necessary to combat covid

Public health entered terminal decline on 24 June 1970.

The Oldest Man posted:

Even if this was true, the sheer prevalence of COVID makes it a unique, novel problem. It's not true, but even if it was, it wouldn't matter. And the number of people with untreated CFS and poo poo wouldn't be changing.

So really they're just transparently showing their asses here.

Watches a metric megaton of vipers slither down the streets of Manhattan.

“People have always been envenomated by snakes! You can’t fund animal control! You will regret this!”

Coldrice posted:

I actually think the term “Long Covid” sucks, and turns into another “mild” label. I feel like it downplays it, and gives people an easy “out” for their newfound health problems. It insinuates an unfortunate random happenstance that will go away at some point - just slightly later than other people.

“It's long covid not forever covid”

🙃

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I had my appointment at Walgreens- they hadn't heard of the bridge program but the head pharmacist was really helpful, immediately getting online and reading up on everything and making sure that I didn't have to pay for the shot. I hope that it helps any future uninsured people coming to that location.

Phizered up for my 7th shot. I'm hoping it doesn't kick my rear end. just about 2 hours since I got it and feeling ok so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Health is dead. Health remains dead. And we have killed it. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	702	 +2
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Recent
Collection	Cases	Change
2023-09-10	1	+1
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Summer '23	4	-
Spring '23	12	-
Winter '22	35	-
Fall '22	147	-
Summer '22	465	-
Spring '22	1	-
Incomplete	37	+1
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Zantie has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Sep 27, 2023

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

thick Covid

covid should be thicker

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Coldrice posted:

any term you give it becomes meaningless immediately. you could call it Flipmode Squovid and nobody would change their behaviors or opinions.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this was anecdotal, but i'll share it now

i visited seattle this summer. i live in nyc.

from the moment i landed at seatac, it was nothing but delays and short-staffing and unavailability.

1) there was no ground crew available for our flight. which arrived on time. we have to hold at the gate for about 20 minutes until one showed up.

2) baggage took nearly 30 minutes to arrive. i asked the delta baggage office if there was a problem while waiting, they said "lots of people gone today"

3) the bus to take me to the car rental area was running on a "modified" schedule. i just assume this is due to a lack of driver. i could be wrong!

4) the car rental plaza, which is massive at seatac, had no one at the hertz counter. empty. a handwritten sign that said to proceed to the "checkout" area. where there was one dude, and a line a couple dozen deep

5) swung through a fast food place at 9pm on a saturday. lobby was locked and closed, said you had to use the drive through, which was around the building. it was clear inside there were maybe four people working. again, not a strange time to be visiting such a place.

6) at the hotel i stayed at downtown for one night, a very nice hotel, there was no one at the desk. i looked around, asked someone else waiting (who also wondered where people were), and eventually someone came from around a corner, apologizing, saying that there was no housekeeping that night and she had to "help out."

7) i was also alerted that there as no room service that night, explicitly due to low staffing. it was a saturday night, at a luxury hotel, in seattle. (i didn't want such a thing, but it was remarkable)

8) the unaffiliated restaurant/bar that was at the hotel closed at 9pm. on a weekend. a restaurant run by a known chef in seattle. again, not something i wanted, but remarkable.

after my wife and i got to the room, we had a real "what the gently caress is going on here" talk. things can be weird from time to time in nyc, but this was bizarre, and was our first time spending serious time in another city since the pandemic started.

ok i do want to blame covid but most of this is all extremely normal 2019 seattle stuff, especially ground crew staffing and gate assignments at seatac being totally hosed, the only thing in that list i would not 100% have expected to happen four years ago is the hotel services being unavailable

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just remembered the guy who got a human interest piece written about him because long COVID made him unable to perform at his day job: being a Leonardo DiCaprio look-a-like.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

That owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Animal-Mother posted:

Manager randomly says he hasn't been able to taste anything since Mother's Day. :psyduck:

do you know why we have therapy, and why humans were sane before we invented therapy? it's probably the same reason we used to like fortune tellers and mystics: it gives us someone to speak frankly to about our difficulties without any judgment, and that's part of the cycle of emotional catharsis. your boss can't move on without materializing this statement as truth to someone who won't judge them for it.

by telling you this, you have become your manager's Seer. i suggest you renegotiate your hourly rate accordingly

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Two chefs out with Covid, one manager who is "very sick" but is running around the kitchen doing three peoples' jobs. Maybe a third of the crew wearing masks. I could count the masked customers on one hand. And they don't even go outside to eat, they take off their mask inside, near coughing people. It's kind of amazing to watch. N95's, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m passing this along because Aura for sixty cents apiece is a great deal and it looks legit, but still, caveat emptor.

quote:

3M Aura 9205+ 20 pack on sale for $11.99 with free shipping from Quest Safety Products, Inc. (official 3M distributor) on Amazon US (self.Masks4All)

submitted 19 hours ago * by Timeworm

https://www.amazon.com/Particulate-9205-Respirators-Individually-Comfortable/dp/B09FM2P1KF/?m=A1BKRSO8YEY5VT&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know many are wary of ordering these from Amazon because genuine masks have gotten mixed up with counterfeits from third-party sellers in Amazon warehouses, but this is shipped and sold by Quest Safety Products, which you can see is an official 3M distributor on 3M's marketplace here:

https://ui.mkpl.3m.com/buyingOptions/7100232219

If you order from their Amazon store right now you get this good sale price, but without the risk of possible counterfeits from Amazon warehouses, since it comes straight from Quest.

Just make sure it's coming from the seller Quest Safety Products, Inc.

There's also some heavily discounted listings for the 440 pack of these, but going through the list and cross referencing to 3M's site I didn't see any sale prices from official distributors. Quest just has them at the normal price. Some of the sellers could be reliable, but none of them are listed on 3M's marketplace. GroveMed looks like they might be an actual PPE distributor though, if anyone can vouch for that.

It's a really great price on the 20 pack right now, so I just wanted to let y'all know.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2023/09/neil-saunders-3rd-place-under-50mb.mp4

quote:

Human cells fuse and die upon infection by SARS-CoV-2. Holotomography, 60x (objective lens magnification).

Taken from the Nikon Small World Competition

:stare:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think I've seen it posted before: I made "the backpack" into a multiclass air cleaner. The MERV 13 for COVID and wildfire smoke, and the full size carbon filter for motel smells.

I just want to be pure.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Platystemon posted:

caveat emptor.

Grove Med is the seller we use. We get a sealed case of masks, still in the box from 3M. Shipping is pricey, but I just ordered a case yesterday and even with shipping it was about fifty cents per mask.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wow Animal-Mother's restaurant is cooking up some weird poo poo here.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

quote:

Instead, the authors of the new study argue that the symptoms are common among upper respiratory viruses.

Even if everything in the study is high quality accurate, people aren't catching the flu 3x a year.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

Wow Animal-Mother's restaurant is cooking up some weird poo poo here.

It's off menu, but you can get it at practically any restaurant.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

ok i do want to blame covid but most of this is all extremely normal 2019 seattle stuff, especially ground crew staffing and gate assignments at seatac being totally hosed, the only thing in that list i would not 100% have expected to happen four years ago is the hotel services being unavailable

if you live there, I’ll defer to you, but I’ve been to Seattle many times for work prior to 2020 and never had these problems.

stayed at the same hotel too

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

begotten 2 definitely topical

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

been a little confused about this for a while, wondering if anyone has any theories.

so my area of the city (tracked in the graph below) has an enormous student population, like maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the residents are students. around late december 2021 / early january 2022 -- so, while most of these people were likely out of the city for the holidays -- there was a massive, massive spike in covid in wastewater analysis which has never been approached before or since:

i'm wondering exactly how it got so loving huge, especially given that case counts / hospitalizations / deaths / etc. -- which are monitored, i would say, pretty okay (obviously not great) here -- didn't seem so monumentally worse at that time compared to other times that are like, local maxima in that graph. (anecdotally, things are roughly as bad or maybe worse right now re: case counts here as they were at that time)

my two hypotheses are [a] the variant popular here at the time shows up in uniquely copious amounts in the GI tract, or [b] there was less wastewater from "non-individual" things (restaurants, businesses, whatever), leading a given case count in the population to register way higher per milliliter than it would had that same case count occurred in, like, mid february.
Wastewater counts use controls to estimate the size of the population they're sampling. For example, one is PMMOV, a virus that very commonly infects peppers. That's a widely-eaten food, so you can get an okay estimate of how many people are poopin' in your watershed based on PMMOV levels. IIRC PMMOV is on the way out as a wastewater control because there are better ones, but you get the idea.

OTOH, there are undeniably some people who shed many many standard deviations of virus more than others, like the one cryptic lineage carrier around the Columbus, OH area. It's a messy field, both literally and figuratively.

e: beaten by Petey

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Sep 27, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat, covid playing puyo puyo with my cells

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Wifezwang and I watched a livestream service for Yom Kippur. About half the congregants were unmasked while the other half were almost entirely in properly-secured N95s or KF94s. I've never seen so many in one place. The bimodal distribution was pretty drat striking.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Zugzwang posted:

Wifezwang and I watched a livestream service for Yom Kippur. About half the congregants were unmasked while the other half were almost entirely in properly-secured N95s or KF94s. I've never seen so many in one place. The bimodal distribution was pretty drat striking.

Half of my Jewish friends possess a demeanour as such I can only describe as "zen fatalist" and the other half are some of the most wonderfully neurotic people I've ever been blessed to know, so that distribution absolutely tracks for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I don't think I've seen it posted before: I made "the backpack" into a multiclass air cleaner. The MERV 13 for COVID and wildfire smoke, and the full size carbon filter for motel smells.

I just want to be pure.

might be useful after eating beans too!