Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How do Steam accounts get compromised? Is it mostly because someone clicked a link and entered their stuff? Could it be from compromised Steam integration in websites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

why do ppl hate Epic? too lazy to use a different storefront?

i like their free games
personally it's because i used it to play fortnite with a coworker for a few months and then like half a year later i started getting "someone is trying to log into your account" emails like four times a day and their support was like "don't worry about it it's just an fyi" when i asked if i should be concerned that someone is trying to break into my account multiple times a day for weeks in a row. the emails only stopped when i deleted my account.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ghostlight posted:

personally it's because i used it to play fortnite with a coworker for a few months and then like half a year later i started getting "someone is trying to log into your account" emails like four times a day and their support was like "don't worry about it it's just an fyi" when i asked if i should be concerned that someone is trying to break into my account multiple times a day for weeks in a row. the emails only stopped when i deleted my account.
Exact same circumstance with me and I never even got around to trying Fartnight. Not worth it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like El Paso: Elsewhere is out. Anyone know if it's stylish-but-not-actually-great-to-play like the demo was?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

err posted:

How do Steam accounts get compromised? Is it mostly because someone clicked a link and entered their stuff? Could it be from compromised Steam integration in websites?

How it happened to me: friend had his account hijacked. Asked me to vote on a site for his team. The site mimiced a steam guard login overlay. I didn't pay enough attention and entered the details. They got access to my account via web interface only so they didn't actually have my login credentials or access to the client itself, just the web version. But they immediately started to use this to send more invites via the chat Interface on the steam web site which I could not notice from the client side. Someone on the forums sent me a dm which caught my attention that something was wrong and indeed I had an active client session from Russia.

I revoked everything and updated my passwords etc. and it's been quiet since then.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

FrickenMoron I love you but I want to username/post combo you so badly and I'm afraid it won't seem good-natured

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Squiggle posted:

FrickenMoron I love you but I want to username/post combo you so badly and I'm afraid it won't seem good-natured

It's ok

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Antigravitas posted:

Wow, I just read the Steam reviews on Cyan's Firnament.

The first three are extremely :smith:
Broke my heart. I expected better of them on both accounts: puzzles and art.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Obduction was really good and I enjoyed it a lot. I learned the weird numbering system, I made pages of notes. I was waiting for a patch or two to buy Firnament, but those reviews are devastating. :smith:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The idea of typing in my credentials anywhere boggles me. No, I don't care about your coolz website, I ain't telling you poo poo! My Steam account probably has more (digital, fake) worth in it than the specific chequeing acct I use for real online banking.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Firmament seems like it had a rough development. I backed it, but didn't really follow it much before release, I was very surprised when I found out the helper bot from the early demos had been turned into a hookshot type thing on your arm that just flipped switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBei3U5xuSI

I almost wonder if the game was basically a write off or something. Like they had so much trouble with it and just wanted to get it out the door so they could focus on the Riven remake? I'm probably being too rough on it though.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 26, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

The idea of typing in my credentials anywhere boggles me. No, I don't care about your coolz website, I ain't telling you poo poo! My Steam account probably has more (digital, fake) worth in it than the specific chequeing acct I use for real online banking.

yeah if you use a password manager, as you should, you'll immediately know something is up if you run into a fake version of a site because it won't autofill

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh, poo poo, Endless Space 2 is getting a poo poo-ton of new balance changes and overhauls, long after I thought the game was done. Guess Amplitude found some spare dev time after Humankind flopped? Not sure if it forebodes new Endless 4X content but either way I am so loving here for it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It did always strike me as a little odd that the studio known for 4Xs where their factions were wildly different decided to make a direct Civ competitor. Civ civs have some mechanical stuff to them but I never felt like they were all that diverse and that seems to be a large part of what brought Humankind down to my understanding.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

I am constantly driven mad because character creators will lack a haircut that is just 'about an inch and a half long all over, slightly untidy'. You can be Fashion Anime Boy or you can be Stern Crewcut Boy but you can't just be a guy.

Same for me except as a beautiful bald bastard. The head stubble I always see doesn't cut it. I need to glisten.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ragequit posted:

Same for me except as a beautiful bald bastard. The head stubble I always see doesn't cut it. I need to glisten.

More games will start to implement that now that Nvidia offers full Ray-Traced Path-Tracing, so the blinding gleam off a dome can be properly rendered in all it's eye-searing glory.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The solution to the eternal problem of bad video game hair; bald heads so shiny they blind you the moment they render.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
:hmmno: Samurai sword glint
:hmmyes: Bald head glint

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Talos Principle 2 got a release date for Nov. 2nd: https://store.steampowered.com/app/835960/The_Talos_Principle_2/

Very reasonably priced as well. If you own the first game you can save an extra couple bucks with the bundle.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 27, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

For the two people that haven't played The Talos Principle, it's a really great puzzle game with some interesting philosophizing. It's also $3 right now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anno posted:

Talos Principle 2 got a release date for Nov. 2nd: https://store.steampowered.com/app/835960/The_Talos_Principle_2/

Very reasonably priced as well. If you own the first game you can save an extra couple bucks with the bundle.

lol the 1+2 bundle costs 1 cent less than preordering 2 alone
unfortunately i played it on EGS so I can't get the 3bux off

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mordja posted:

Looks like El Paso: Elsewhere is out. Anyone know if it's stylish-but-not-actually-great-to-play like the demo was?

At least according to some of the reviews I've seen come out, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py89RMQHFDg it kinda seems to match what you are fearing (and what I similarly feared when trying the demo as well), in that it is a bit of a style-over-substance situation where the draw seems to be the interesting story and presentation, but the gameplay, while initially fun, can get quite repetitive easily.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Looking at that vid they made a max payne-style game with mostly melee enemies????

Bullet time is fun because in max payne, you'll get absolutely shredded to pieces from a distance if your aren't leaping and head shotting enemies from cover to cover

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

I think the original game was first priced at $40. Strange to see the sequel go for even less. Very excited though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fez_machine posted:

Looking at that vid they made a max payne-style game with mostly melee enemies????

Bullet time is fun because in max payne, you'll get absolutely shredded to pieces from a distance if your aren't leaping and head shotting enemies from cover to cover

Yeah that was my problem. That and the arenas were all too small and you'd end up shootdodging into a wall half the time. I replayed the second demo level without using it at all and found it much more effective, leaving you with a subpar third-person shooter.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 27, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HopperUK posted:

I am constantly driven mad because character creators will lack a haircut that is just 'about an inch and a half long all over, slightly untidy'. You can be Fashion Anime Boy or you can be Stern Crewcut Boy but you can't just be a guy.

Speaking of, Baldur's Gate 3 was the first time I could pick a hair that looked like mine in a RPG and I was absurdly delighted at that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of, Baldur's Gate 3 was the first time I could pick a hair that looked like mine in a RPG and I was absurdly delighted at that.

This you?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Antigravitas posted:

Wow, I just read the Steam reviews on Cyan's Firnament.

The first three are extremely :smith:

Steam Thread: hardcore valve swiveling

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can see my face holes in some extremely specific shots and it's great lol

that's rad

err posted:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 27, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

aw gee but my friend's team could win in the voting contest!!!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im going to log in to steamc*mmunity.com and you cant stop me

i had to censor that url because adding the missing 'u' turns it into an actual steam scam website

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ErrEff posted:

I think the original game was first priced at $40. Strange to see the sequel go for even less. Very excited though.

I fear it might mean the new game is substantially shorter than the first one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

They're just so wise

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I unironically hate the lack of the "I got a number 4 a couple months ago" haircuts and do not understand it at all.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ill share my password i need help finishing these games

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

edit: nvm

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know if it was talked previously but this Jacob Geller's video put Wanted: Dead on my radar and made me want to eventually try it out, if not for all the unique strange things and design choices they put into making this game.

https://youtu.be/GS5NeNglQYw?si=yWeM210a-iONRbAC

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1981610/Wanted_Dead/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TeaJay posted:

I don't know if it was talked previously but this Jacob Geller's video put Wanted: Dead on my radar and made me want to eventually try it out, if not for all the unique strange things and design choices they put into making this game.

https://youtu.be/GS5NeNglQYw?si=yWeM210a-iONRbAC

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1981610/Wanted_Dead/
Wanted Dead seems like the exact sort of game made for people who actually played Devil's Third and wanted more of that sort of incredibly janky first person shooting and third person slashing. All 15 of them. Are you one of them? Only one way to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3TJtEgd0Fs

Also there's a part where you go on a rampage with a chainsaw and giant CENSORED bars pop out when you cut people in half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-JFRnqJls

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The core gameplay of Wanted: Dead has some cool ideas but they really aren't executed very well.
It reminded me a lot of Bloodrayne 2. Cool ideas with mediocre execution that I wish someone competent would take a crack at doing instead.