Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My recollection is that the camera lenses are covered by sapphire and so you shouldn’t need scratch protection because of how hard the material is. And the circles are small and thus relatively stiff so you don’t really need to worry about cracks either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

All my iPhones have ended up with scratched up screens but my job is unforgiving that way. Now I have the iUP so I don’t care, I’ll pay the premium to have a new phone every year and not have to worry about hosed up screens and clogged charging ports that barely work.

What I would like is something to cover the back glass, not to protect it but to make it a little less slippery. Does that exist without using a full case?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

looks like this iphone 15 overheating thing is widespread across models, but especially Pro (Max)?

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-pro-overheating/
https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-overheating/
https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-pro-overheating-updates-fix/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255147042

concerning is that multiple people report it heating up when just talking on the phone

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Mine has been perfectly normal temp wise but I don’t know what this “phone call” is so I don’t think I can recreate this issue

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 27, 2023

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I would in fact say the 15 Pro has been noticeably cooler at all times than the 13 Pro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watch them throttle the phone in a software update to solve Heatgate and we'll all rue the day we complained

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard that the iPhone 15 was thermal throttling Genshin Impact after a few minutes, which sounds like a feature to me. :11tea:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

vote_no posted:

I would in fact say the 15 Pro has been noticeably cooler at all times than the 13 Pro.

Just play Boy Genius to cool it down.

https://youtu.be/gPuIUFtesYk?si=AWsMieRdSBYhe_9Z

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard that the iPhone 15 was thermal throttling Genshin Impact after a few minutes, which sounds like a feature to me. :11tea:

I will say it’s not but also I’m running at sane settings (medium 60fps) for battery life reasons and not trying to flex to YouTube about running max settings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

njsykora posted:

I will say it’s not but also I’m running at sane settings (medium 60fps) for battery life reasons and not trying to flex to YouTube about running max settings.

I was making a joke that Apple was intentionally discouraging people from playing it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’ve been having heat issues since the OS release, but on a pro 14. It’s also weird since I have been on the beta since June without that problem, at least.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

illcendiary posted:

My recollection is that the camera lenses are covered by sapphire and so you shouldn’t need scratch protection because of how hard the material is. And the circles are small and thus relatively stiff so you don’t really need to worry about cracks either

Ok good. I wouldn’t even be asking if the covers weren’t coming free with the thing I actually wanted to buy.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I know multiple people with broken camera lenses on iPhone 12/13/14 pros, but they're garbage people who treat their phones as such.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

pmchem posted:

looks like this iphone 15 overheating thing is widespread across models, but especially Pro (Max)?

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-pro-overheating/
https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-overheating/
https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/26/iphone-15-pro-overheating-updates-fix/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255147042

concerning is that multiple people report it heating up when just talking on the phone

One of those articles mentioned Instagram and I just saw a video today where a guy claimed Instagram was the problem. He checked the temperature and it went up to about 90 degrees just with his Instagram profile open, not actually scrolling anything.

Could it be an iOS 17 problem?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

One of those articles mentioned Instagram and I just saw a video today where a guy claimed Instagram was the problem. He checked the temperature and it went up to about 90 degrees just with his Instagram profile open, not actually scrolling anything.

Could it be an iOS 17 problem?

lol instagram is always causing problems it seems like. It also hosed up cameras last year with OIS freaking out iirc.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

xzzy posted:

I'm in the camp warning people away from Anker now. I've had enough of their charging gadgets fail after 1-2 years that I'll never buy their stuff again.. up to two phone stands and one power brick.

Phone stand sits on your desk never moving and then one day it's all "nope, no more power for you".

Anker stuff (especially the expensive stuff) has a good warranty, and they’ve been good to work with. You email, send a receipt, description of the problem. They dispatch a replacement to you via Amazon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I never cracked a screen but have a cracked camera lens in my 14 pro because the dumb lenses stick out so far and the edge must have hit something when either me or one my kids dropped it.

I honestly had no idea until my .5x zoom disappeared from the UI and then I started getting warnings in settings that I had defective or unauthorized camera parts. I can’t remember what Apple charged me to fix it, like 100-200, but they only repaired parts behind the sapphire and the crack is still there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol instagram is always causing problems it seems like. It also hosed up cameras last year with OIS freaking out iirc.

That one was Apple's fault. It could be caused by any app with its own camera software, Instagram is just the most popular.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My 15 Pro got super hot last night, but it was also downloading like 500 apps from the icloud restore so we’ll see if that repeats under normal use

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I mean mine heated up that first day during the transfer but it’s been a week now and even though my 3d printers have dialed up my temperature resistance I can’t say the phone has felt too hot since.

I’m also not a “gamer” or anything, I don’t want arthritis from being a phone gamer doing anything more intense than Candy Crush

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The Dave posted:

I never cracked a screen but have a cracked camera lens in my 14 pro because the dumb lenses stick out so far and the edge must have hit something when either me or one my kids dropped it.

I honestly had no idea until my .5x zoom disappeared from the UI and then I started getting warnings in settings that I had defective or unauthorized camera parts. I can’t remember what Apple charged me to fix it, like 100-200, but they only repaired parts behind the sapphire and the crack is still there.

Wait what the gently caress?

I have like every apple thing and its all bareback so I'm at the apple store getting some random poo poo fixed like a couple times a year easy. And not once, ever, one single time, did they actually fix my device. They just gave me a completely new one. There has never even been a discussion of some poo poo getting fixed, they just slide me over a new box, and that's the end of the transaction.

Did you go to a certified repair place or something? None of that makes sense, especially that they would just leave the crack on after the repair? What in the world, where do you live dawg

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They didn’t get it replaced with some backwoods repair shop, the phone was just complaining about the camera module itself and that’s what the cue something was wrong was

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heating is going to be an issue for their upcoming AAA games with ray tracing that they heavily touted.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

They didn’t get it replaced with some backwoods repair shop, the phone was just complaining about the camera module itself and that’s what the cue something was wrong was

Yeah I mean I'm no expert it's just weird that the Apple store repaired his actual device instead of slappin' him a new one, and even more weird that they apparently just left the crack on there like both of those things make no sense to me :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Taima posted:

Yeah I mean I'm no expert it's just weird that the Apple store repaired his actual device instead of slappin' him a new one, and even more weird that they apparently just left the crack on there like both of those things make no sense to me :shrug:

Yeah you’re right, that is weird. If they couldn’t repair it they’d usually just replace it outright. Either way, no more crack

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah. The reason I asked about third party repairs is that if you have a repair you need done, the Apple website will give you a list of places you can repair.

But a lot of those aren't Apple, they're "Apple Certified Repair" places, and they're all mixed in with actual Apple Stores, so it's confusing.

It's never a good idea to go to these third party shops unless you are far away from an Apple Store.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I got my XR's camera module replaced at Da Froot Stand when it was still under warranty. Apple definitely does not just do whole device swaps if it's a repairable component these days. No idea why they left that dude's lens cracked or whatever but yeah.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Huh, well fair enough. I've had so many repairs but to be completely fair it's always just like, someone sat on my ipad pro 12.9 once and cracked/bent it, and all the other times it was just case and screen damage. They've never actually repaired a single thing ever.

Never had to replace a camera though so that tracks.

I've also always had Applecare, I think. I wonder if that matters?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It was at the Apple store in Center City Philadelphia, and the fix took at-most 90 minutes, from the time of the device leaving and getting back into my hands. I imagine it's a common job for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

Huh, well fair enough. I've had so many repairs but to be completely fair it's always just like, someone sat on my ipad pro 12.9 once and cracked/bent it, and all the other times it was just case and screen damage. They've never actually repaired a single thing ever.

Never had to replace a camera though so that tracks.

I've also always had Applecare, I think. I wonder if that matters?

It doesn't matter, and which they do depends on a variety of factors.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple Stores absolutely will do a number of repairs if they have the equipment

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah what I've always understood is they'll repair it if they can that day, else they'll just give you a new device while the broken one is sent off.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Snowy posted:

All my iPhones have ended up with scratched up screens but my job is unforgiving that way. Now I have the iUP so I don’t care, I’ll pay the premium to have a new phone every year and not have to worry about hosed up screens and clogged charging ports that barely work.

What I would like is something to cover the back glass, not to protect it but to make it a little less slippery. Does that exist without using a full case?

Maybe a dbrand skin will work for you?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

njsykora posted:

Yeah what I've always understood is they'll repair it if they can that day, else they'll just give you a new device while the broken one is sent off.

That's what happened to me when I dropped off my 7 Plus for service. Shattered screen. Dropped it off at 4pm and it was repaired by 7pm

Though when I hosed up my screen on the 14 Pro Max they advanced me a replacement, but also part of my reason for going that option is because I moved to a city where there is now only one Apple Store and it's not exactly a short drive anymore

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wild, guess I was just lucky. I'm like 12 to 0 on full replace vs repair.

Literally every single time was just slid a new device, zero repairs ever suggested even once.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't imagine breaking my phone 12 times

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was probably so gross they didn't want to touch it

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
*Breaks poo poo 12 times*

"Guess I'm just lucky"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Taima posted:

Wild, guess I was just lucky. I'm like 12 to 0 on full replace vs repair.

Literally every single time was just slid a new device, zero repairs ever suggested even once.

it's store policy to get you specifically out as quickly as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Better to not end up with 20 broken display models.