Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

My wife is watching Ready or Not with her younger sister for spooky season and god I forgot how much the entire cast brings it.

EDIT: oh my god her sister doesn't know what a Faustian bargain is and she's had to explain why there are all these rules and requirements for the game, this has been incredible watching

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Making my list for the horror challenge and I'm wondering if The Toxic Avenger would count?

I mean, I plan on re-watching the original before seeing the remake but I'm not sure if it counts as "horror" enough to include it. Troma tends to straddle that line at times and while stuff like Poultrygeist can be considered horror a dark, exploitive parody of superhero films might be a stretch. If not, it'll just be something I watch on the side...no biggie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah it counts. He’s a gross goopy monster

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Justin Godscock posted:

Making my list for the horror challenge and I'm wondering if The Toxic Avenger would count?

I mean, I plan on re-watching the original before seeing the remake but I'm not sure if it counts as "horror" enough to include it. Troma tends to straddle that line at times and while stuff like Poultrygeist can be considered horror a dark, exploitive parody of superhero films might be a stretch. If not, it'll just be something I watch on the side...no biggie.

he brutally murders people it counts

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

100%

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ready Or Not fucks. It fucks hard.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have like 6 episodes of Succession left, we're not going to have time to finish by spooky season and we'll forget everything that happened by Nov :sweatdrop:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Shrecknet posted:

Alert! :siren: Freeway (1996) holds the gently caress up, absolutely stellar and the highlight roles of Keifer and Reese's careers. It's far more thriller than horror but it can get dark as all gently caress and there's so much to love. Highest possible recommendation if you want something not-quite-horror before full spooktober begins.

Great movie. The Big Bad Wolf scene at the end scared me more than most things on late night HBO

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

My wife is watching Ready or Not with her younger sister for spooky season and god I forgot how much the entire cast brings it.

EDIT: oh my god her sister doesn't know what a Faustian bargain is and she's had to explain why there are all these rules and requirements for the game, this has been incredible watching

I got to visit a prop shop a few weeks ago that made a bunch of stuff for RoN, and got to see the game box they made which actually pops open when you press a button. So cool

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched the Mimic sequels to prepare my mind and body for the coming month. The straight-to-DVD era allowed a goofy indie charm that is all but replaced by a kind of rote efficiency.

2 is about the best friend from the first film, now a teacher in a run-down elementary school, and her entire character seems to be based off her telling a story of a bad date from the original film. Her life is now full of bad dates, and it's a kind of weird romance between her and the cockroach man. Some fun faces pop up in supporting roles.

3 is Rear Window. Yep, one of the kids who nearly died in the pandemic described in the first film is a bubble boy who takes photos of his neighbours. Amanda Plummer and Lance Henrikson pop up.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ready or Not rules.

Also, finally finalizing the lineup for our 24/7 horror channel this year and somehow we have accidentally created something with the atmosphere of "the kind of movie channel that's always playing in a slasher movie" :allears: Don't get me wrong, there's lots of stuff we love, but I could totally see some CRT playing The Uninvited, VIY, Dracula's Daughter, or Sole Survivor right before the power cuts and a guy in a mask smashes me through my TV. Looking forward to seeing some of these for the first time. That TV isn't going off for a second. :hai:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ready Or Not loving slaps.

Very funny and I love that the ending is full-tilt camp.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If we’re still suggesting challenges:

Watch a movie with a notorious bathroom scene (e.g Psycho, Glorious)

Watch a supernatural movie by a director who shares your birth sign (or watch any horror by one who shares your birthday, keeping in mind you’d be publicly sharing your birthday)

Watch a movie and its Asylum studios knockoff.

Horror movie starring your favorite a or b list actor or actress.

Roll a random d&d weapon (eg club, great axe, crossbow) and watch a movie where it’s used for at least one kill.

Watch a movie about the dangers of contemporary livestreaming.

Watch a movie from as close to your SA reg date as possible.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there an asylum rip off or Saw?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

AWL

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Is there an asylum rip off or Saw?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Honestly can't tell if that's real or a photoshop because it seems plausible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Honestly can't tell if that's real or a photoshop because it seems plausible.

Real: https://letterboxd.com/film/slaw/

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hahaha, that's a pretty good Photoshop goof, SLAW, and it's got Big Sexy Kevin Nash, good one, you almost go--

Wait what?! :2monocle:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not asylum but captivity which either in post or decided on early took the horrific saw aesthetic and dialed it up

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Kevin Nash power bombing someone in a green lit warehouse. Is this a saw ripoff or just 2000 WCW?!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nash and Gallows? This match is gonna have such poo poo workrate

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the whole premise of jigsaw's deal, finding out if you really love life and want to keep it and poo poo, is what happens every time i find 3 week old coleslaw in the fridge and try to decide if i should put it on my hot dog anyway

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

the whole premise of jigsaw's deal, finding out if you really love life and want to keep it and poo poo, is what happens every time i find 3 week old coleslaw in the fridge and try to decide if i should put it on my hot dog anyway

You know you can just buy kimchi right.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Itching for the October horror movie marathon thread.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I guess I should finally get round to watching Ready or Not next month then.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #89 posted:

Itching for the October horror movie marathon thread.

48 hours

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I can’t wait.

My weekend is horror movies, decorating the house and baking stuff with apples.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, I've already got my list of potential watches (even before the challenges) at 40 movies, and ordered my Saw X ticket for Friday.

It's the high season soon, folks. :spooky:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I super super didn't think Freeway aged well (it's mean-spirited 90s White Guy Trash) but to each their own.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I gotta make my selfish personal list here soon

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ready or Not is the best use of Adam Brody outside of Jennifer’s Body. Also it kills the poo poo out of the disgusting shitkids which always scores points with me.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Got just a whole hodgepodge of horror flicks planned for Spooky Season here, sort of fitting a few themes but mostly they seem fun or I've wanted to watch them for a bit now: https://letterboxd.com/rooneymcnibnug/list/october-2023-spooky-times/

EDIT: I can't believe the Criterion Channel will have Frankenhooker streaming this October lmao

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Got just a whole hodgepodge of horror flicks planned for Spooky Season here, sort of fitting a few themes but mostly they seem fun or I've wanted to watch them for a bit now: https://letterboxd.com/rooneymcnibnug/list/october-2023-spooky-times/

EDIT: I can't believe the Criterion Channel will have Frankenhooker streaming this October lmao

All 5 of the movies I've seen on your list (BODIES BODIES BODIES, Shin Godzilla, NOPE, Ravenous and eXistenZ) are absolute bangers and you're going to love them.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Of what I've seen on that list, I'll go to bat the hardest for Ginger Snaps.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99og_g7rXnA

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I very much enjoyed No One Will Save You despite not being scared.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I saw it in the theater I might’ve been spooked. The grey scene in Nope where it was hanging upside down made me yelp

But it’s hard to be spooked when we watched it at dusk while I was eating super spicy hot wings lol

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Shrecknet posted:

All 5 of the movies I've seen on your list (BODIES BODIES BODIES, Shin Godzilla, NOPE, Ravenous and eXistenZ) are absolute bangers and you're going to love them.

hell yes, I'm excited for all of these - never seen any of them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

Ready or Not is the best use of Adam Brody outside of Jennifer’s Body. Also it kills the poo poo out of the disgusting shitkids which always scores points with me.

I've seen him be really good in a bunch of (mostly non horror) things lately. I enjoyed him quite a bit in Fleischman In Trouble and American Fiction.