Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

This... seems like a good thing? Haven't we all been yelling for more mid-budget films for years?

Think "Wal-Mart scheduling people for 29.5 hours a week to avoid paying benefits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

An AI cannot write a script on its own right now, though. If we're worrying about hypothetical future generations of AI tech, maybe then, but ChatGPT -- impressive as it is -- falls down pretty spectacularly as soon as you find one of its limits and press at it. (For example, it has absolutely no concept of truth, and will merrily lie about anything if it thinks you'll like the answer better that way.)

It can't yet and that's why you don't want it training on scripts as writers keep writing them. Nobody is worried about this gen of AI replacing creative arts, we just don't want to see it happen at all.

This isn't the kind of technology that brings new jobs -- eventually the goal is for these AIs to be able to replace even those who make them, people who already don't have a good grasp of what the gently caress they are doing or what impacts choices they make have -- and certainly no regard for those impacts and consequences.

This isn't the kind of technology that brings innovations, it regurgitates an imitation of what is put in.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

Does anyone know what the average budget for a direct-to-streaming movie is?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
AI taking over in tech is going to rapidly accelerate the death of our current society for better or worse. Hopefully this forces UBI and UHC discussions/actions decades faster than it may have otherwise happened organically (at least in the US).

If not, white collar America will be on the sidelines with the rest of society and that’s how we get Thunderdome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm not too up to speed on the language the unions are using, what happened with regard to publicizing streaming numbers? Or is that a SAG thing?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

abelwingnut posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-guild-strike-end-1235600992/

“This allows writers to return to work during the ratification process”

Aren’t they going to honor the actors’ picket lines?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I'm not too up to speed on the language the unions are using, what happened with regard to publicizing streaming numbers? Or is that a SAG thing?

Never a demand for either guild to have streaming numbers be publicised. WGA asked for better information be shared with them, and seems to have gotten some version of that.

WGA also asked for compensation to be tied to success of shows on services, so that writers would be better paid if shows became a huge hit. What they got here seems to be kinda the minimum face-saving thing that they can bring back to their members and say "we got something": if an episode of a series is viewed by 20% of a streaming service's membership in the first 90 days it's available, they get a few thousand dollars' bonus as a one-time thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

Aren’t they going to honor the actors’ picket lines?

Seriously though, the NYTimes is saying the writers begin going back to work on Wednesday. The sooner the better so I can get back to work eventually, but why are they supposedly going to cross the SAG lines now? I must be missing something

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Seriously though, the NYTimes is saying the writers begin going back to work on Wednesday. The sooner the better so I can get back to work eventually, but why are they supposedly going to cross the SAG lines now? I must be missing something

I imagine most of those writers are not working on set. I’m not sure how many offices are being picketed, SAG is more concerned with filming not taking place.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maxwell Lord posted:

I imagine most of those writers are not working on set. I’m not sure how many offices are being picketed, SAG is more concerned with filming not taking place.

E- nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E- nm

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2023

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'm not sure if WGA can continue to strike for SAG's sake when they've already struck a deal -- it might count as a solidarity strike, which is illegal in the US according to Wikipedia. I am definitely not an expert on labor law, so if someone else knows better please correct me :v:

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Here is a summary of the WGA MBA Contract.

I skimmed it over but it looks like the writers got almost everything they wanted.

Here is the part about AI.

WGA Contract posted:

We have established regulations for the use of artificial intelligence (“AI”) on MBA-covered projects in the following ways:

AI can’t write or rewrite literary material, and AI-generated material will not be considered source material under the MBA, meaning that AI-generated material can’t be used to undermine a writer’s credit or separated rights.
A writer can choose to use AI when performing writing services, if the company consents and provided that the writer follows applicable company policies, but the company can’t require the writer to use AI software (e.g., ChatGPT) when performing writing services.
The Company must disclose to the writer if any materials given to the writer have been generated by AI or incorporate AI-generated material.
The WGA reserves the right to assert that exploitation of writers’ material to train AI is prohibited by MBA or other law.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mappo posted:

Here is a summary of the WGA MBA Contract.

I skimmed it over but it looks like the writers got almost everything they wanted.

Here is the part about AI.

That seems reasonable. Of course until studios start using loopholes to "hire" writers who only write with AI and then quietly phase out anyone who doesn't, but that's an exploitive creeping bridge to cross in the future, I guess.

For now, well done WGA. Hope SAG-AFTRA gets as many of their demands met as well.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kurona_bright posted:

I'm not sure if WGA can continue to strike for SAG's sake when they've already struck a deal -- it might count as a solidarity strike, which is illegal in the US according to Wikipedia. I am definitely not an expert on labor law, so if someone else knows better please correct me :v:

You don’t need to be on strike to not take a job, but yes I think you’re right about solidarity strikes.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I am slightly sad that this presumably heralds the end of Strike Force Five! (⚡️)

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

That seems reasonable. Of course until studios start using loopholes to "hire" writers who only write with AI and then quietly phase out anyone who doesn't, but that's an exploitive creeping bridge to cross in the future, I guess.

For now, well done WGA. Hope SAG-AFTRA gets as many of their demands met as well.

I'm of the opinion that large language model "AI" isn't going to be the writer-killer app that the studios envisioned it to be. The hype around AI has cooled over the last few months, I hope the studios spent a lot of money trying to fight for something that was never going to work out.

The SAG-AFTRA deal will be interesting as they are up against studios wanting to keep digital scans of actors to use as VFX. Which, as far as I know, is a real technology that they could use.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mappo posted:

I'm of the opinion that large language model "AI" isn't going to be the writer-killer app that the studios envisioned it to be. The hype around AI has cooled over the last few months, I hope the studios spent a lot of money trying to fight for something that was never going to work out.

The SAG-AFTRA deal will be interesting as they are up against studios wanting to keep digital scans of actors to use as VFX. Which, as far as I know, is a real technology that they could use.

Writers have been much more sanguine about AI assistance tools than some creatives have been this past year. Art Twitter had some flare-ups about novel and article writers that drew the line at actually writing with AI, but had no problem generating covers or article header images.

Looking at the details, this really seems like the best compromise the parties could ask for: studios get to hold on to the false hope of eventually automating their writing staff away, while said writing staff get almost full control over how much they get to use AI in their actual process. Very much tossing out the bathwater but not the baby, I feel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

vote_no posted:

I am slightly sad that this presumably heralds the end of Strike Force Five! (⚡️)

It was planned for 12 episodes, and we're already at episode 8. Anastasio Debayle's pants need to make an appearance when the Late Show comes back, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At least for right now, exclusively using artificial “intelligence” in the creative fields to create works is going to be a dead end sooner than later, primarily because they only know how to connect things that are “supposed” to be connected together by the sum of what they’ve been fed.

In other words: it’s going to be a lot of lowest common denominator stories that get shoveled out… which then promptly eat poo poo when nobody is interested in them because they already know how the plots are going to unfold, and the characterization, worldbuilding, etc. is as spicy as expired mayonnaise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1706902068349317316

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Gaz-L posted:

I do wince at the whole '$30M budget movie for streaming' bit though, because that just screams that we see a lot of $25M-$29M budget films suddenly happen.

That's not going to happen. Writer compensation, even with the gains from this new contract, is roughly 3% of the total budget of a feature film on average. Once you are in production, no line producer is going to be cutting shoot days or canning locations in order to avoid giving writers slightly better residuals.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

That doesn't seem like it'd be much of a help since said writers would still have to receive WGA scale.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tree Reformat posted:

Writers have been much more sanguine about AI assistance tools than some creatives have been this past year. Art Twitter had some flare-ups about novel and article writers that drew the line at actually writing with AI, but had no problem generating covers or article header images.

Looking at the details, this really seems like the best compromise the parties could ask for: studios get to hold on to the false hope of eventually automating their writing staff away, while said writing staff get almost full control over how much they get to use AI in their actual process. Very much tossing out the bathwater but not the baby, I feel.

Yeah, I use ChatGPT to help with running role playing games and it's a great tool. I'm typically running vampire, so typing in "10 female name and surname for a woman in northern Mexico circa 1800" and choosing from a list is a lot quicker than spending an hour googling to find a single name. Having the program actually write something though, you start seeing the cracks before the second paragraph.

Typing a prompt of "Lurid description of an empty city street in the dead of night" can spit out a couple phrases or attributes that I can take and craft into something actually good, but if I just copy and pasted what was spit out, my players would poo poo over how little sense it made.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Soonmot posted:

if I just copy and pasted what was spit out, my players would poo poo over how little sense it made.

This could be funny if your player rolled a particularly poor perception roll and you could somehow generate some nonsense on the fly

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mappo posted:

I work in a field that only a few months ago was told would be obliterated by AI and after using it I am floored that anyone feels threatened by it.

I'm not saying there aren't dangerous and dicey precedents, nor am I saying 5 years from now things won't be different, I'm just saying right now AI is that's 15% efficiency tool, 15% grift, and 70% very very good marketing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Clip from John August (on the negotiating committee) I found interesting. It sounds like his sense is that the studios are also not currently enthusiastic about using AI for creative works, and rather focused on potential liability from it.

https://i.imgur.com/nTyOK6S.mp4

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Pinterest Mom posted:

Clip from John August (on the negotiating committee) I found interesting. It sounds like his sense is that the studios are also not currently enthusiastic about using AI for creative works, and rather focused on potential liability from it.

https://i.imgur.com/nTyOK6S.mp4

Not surprising. I have a few clients that were instructed by their lawyers to, and I quote, "stay the gently caress away from AI."

Nothing OpenAI can't solve with some lobbyists, I'm sure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fart blood posted:

I work in a field that only a few months ago was told would be obliterated by AI and after using it I am floored that anyone feels threatened by it.

I'm not saying there aren't dangerous and dicey precedents, nor am I saying 5 years from now things won't be different, I'm just saying right now AI is that's 15% efficiency tool, 15% grift, and 70% very very good marketing.

The main change I've seen working in graphic design is the type of clients who used to send us a lovely cellphone screenshot of Google image searches or maybe a rough mockup from some template site, sometimes now send their crap attempts at getting an AI to make a design or logo for them, asking us to make something printable out of it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

The main change I've seen working in graphic design is the type of clients who used to send us a lovely cellphone screenshot of Google image searches or maybe a rough mockup from some template site, sometimes now send their crap attempts at getting an AI to make a design or logo for them, asking us to make something printable out of it.

AI in its current form is only a threat to design, illustration, and photography in the eyes of people who know absolutely nothing about all three disciplines.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Looks like the streamers are already starting to regroup from all this:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1706763068246728748

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
lol at the "the streamers are uniting" narrative in the article ... with the minor exceptions of apple, amazon, and alphabet/google/youtube

i saw this mentioned yesterday with a fairly different angle, but that's the trade mags for ya

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1707051193279648110?s=20

Say goodbye soon to...

vote_no posted:

Strike Force Five! (⚡️)

Though they probably recorded some episodes ahead of time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

The two streaming services that have most steadily gotten worse and worse over the last two years are going to lobby the government to allow them to get even worse somehow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Good thing the labor unions are legally barred from doing the same thing, otherwise it would be unfair to the studios

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Dan Murrell has been following and reporting on the strikes since they started. He's posted his rundown of the broad points of what the WGA originally asked for, what the studios had countered with back in August and what the final contract gave ground on. For those outside the industry trying to parse the good points, it's a nice rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_u5t97wuUo

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Seems like there should be a word for when supposed competitors band together and indulge in a little legal bribery as a treat.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

The two streaming services that have most steadily gotten worse and worse over the last two years are going to lobby the government to allow them to get even worse somehow

Looking forward to the inevitable California ballot initiative that reclassifies screenwriters as livestock

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I guess I was wrong. Looks like the AMPTP is in no hurry to get actors back to the table after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’d give the AMPTP about a month before they need actors, given the turnaround time of filming for Spring television.