Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lord fifth posted:

im gonna be real those two cities are the same in my head

nonsense, miami actually has interesting poo poo and vibrant communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lord fifth posted:

they are pretty different and like 5 hours away from each other

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

miami, coastal, famous beaches, "capital of latin america", fraud and cryptocurrency capital of the united states

orlando, swamps, most disney place on earth, convention centers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
orlando is a shithole literally like immediately outside of disney world

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

orlando is a shithole literally like immediately outside of disney world

and also inside it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so far the main affect this has had on adult transpeople here in tampa has been that everyone had to sign a new form when they reupped their HRT saying "you are a DIRTY loving SINNER and this is POISON that will KILL YOU sign here if you are ok with this"

however if you're under 18 and trans you are ultra hosed

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shame Boy posted:

google says orlando but i didn't actually verify that :shrug:

anyway the cities are still mostly Fine for now if you ever do have to come visit but i totally understand wanting to stay as far the gently caress away as possible

it's partly the principal. also when i hear people say the cities are still Fine it's ended up that the hate crime doers were just more subtle. idk it's fine not your fault, but Florida is probably the worst state in the country by far

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

principle? who cares. eat arby's

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

it’s also home to a forgettable basketball team owned by Erik Princes family

the way I tell the two apart is that every basketball player or athlete is pumped to get traded to Miami and actively avoids every other city like the plague (except Tampa for hockey)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

so far the main affect this has had on adult transpeople here in tampa has been that everyone had to sign a new form when they reupped their HRT saying "you are a DIRTY loving SINNER and this is POISON that will KILL YOU sign here if you are ok with this"

this is a registry for the death squads they're planning, i guarantee you

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
next ur gonna tell me columbus is different from cleveland

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

it's partly the principal. also when i hear people say the cities are still Fine it's ended up that the hate crime doers were just more subtle.

i mean maybe? we got a pretty large and vibrant queer community and the general hatred floating around the more rural areas has compressed all the lefties and gays and gay lefties into the cities so idk

heck we even elected a gay mayor! i mean she used to be the loving chief of police so that more than cancels it out but still!!!

Lady Radia posted:

idk it's fine not your fault, but Florida is probably the worst state in the country by far

yeah i wish it wasn't but it sure is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is a registry for the death squads they're planning, i guarantee you

nah it's a harmonized prior consent form that's private medical record poo poo kept at your doctor

it's not all that different from the existing prior consent forms, it's just now it's... specifically dictated by the state for no reason

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, i hope you're right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

good thing no one under 18 needs inspiring events or job opportunities

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they have much easier ways of compiling lists for death squads anyway

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

as a Woman in tech ive found you'll have a much easier time if you accept that most institutional DEI stuff is about appearing to Do Something and getting the people who are already underrepped to do a bunch of extra, uncompensated labor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

good thing no one under 18 needs inspiring events or job opportunities

i can't quite tell if this is a joke at me or at the conference but just in case and to be clear like, i am not telling anyone to come to florida or support this conference being here, just saying if you have to you probably won't get murdered or arrested.

it's kinda hard to believe but poo poo's actually better now than when i was in highschool, at least in terms of "queer people not getting murdered." like in 9th grade my fuckin' biology teacher's son was beat to death by two drunk guys who thought (incorrectly afaik) he was A Gay, and everyone got to watch mr. borden crying on the nightly local news (and then we all gave him a hug when he finally came back to work :smith:). things were different way back in the backwards old days of, uh... 2005

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

honestly don't know that it is a joke about anything at all. the differentiation involved in the "it's fine if you are x" is so tiring. but more so for you than me so probably shouldn't comment. though i am tired.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sat on my keys! posted:

as a Woman in tech ive found you'll have a much easier time if you accept that most institutional DEI stuff is about appearing to Do Something and getting the people who are already underrepped to do a bunch of extra, uncompensated labor.

yeah it owns lol. in a previous org i tried to get mine to Do Stuff and they basically told us we needed to create documentation to better help employees influence local politicians. it was great and very cool. then they announced that the company did this great work providing that documentation

now im mad. gonna get another coffee.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at the new place from what i gather when they needed to Show Diversity they'd just go and ask The One Lesbian Girl what they should do

now i guess they'll prolly ask me too, which should double our diversity!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iirc one year google spent 125 million dollars on dei programs and diversity in new hires increased 0.1%

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Our university's dei program amounts to "we will do absolutely everything to make sure that people of all kinds are represented, supported, and respected at the university, except for paying anyone enough money to raise a family."

Every year we have this town hall with the administration:

"What can we do to stop losing our diverse faculty to other universities?"
"Pay a competitive wage, which is especially important for scholars of color because they usually have less generational wealth than your average white professor with two white university professor parents."
"Anything EXCEPT that!!" :mad: "can't we come up with a committee or an initiative instead?"

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Our university's dei program amounts to "we will do absolutely everything to make sure that people of all kinds are represented, supported, and respected at the university, except for paying anyone enough money to raise a family."

"Pay a competitive wage, which is especially important for scholars of color because they usually have less generational wealth than your average white professor with two white university professor parents."
"Anything EXCEPT that!!" :mad: "can't we come up with a committee or an initiative instead?"

Probably really can't just pay people more. Need to set up a committee to study the initiative.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
we dont have a dei program but no one has noticed that like 2/3 of the people ive pushed to hire are women of color

like yeah, id prefer if it were easier to just openly say 'hey we should be more representative because that's good' but if thats not possible (because my company is run by white male nerds who go beep boop most advanced diploma is most important), im just going to quietly do this dei thing from the shadows

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shame Boy posted:

huh, i read that they eliminated the ability of nurse practitioners to give hormones out, super loving over adults' access to them. have i been misinformed?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

tk posted:

Need to set up a committee to study the initiative.

the committee is from deloitte. they are paid 4 million dollars over 5 months. they are all straight white people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raminasi posted:

huh, i read that they eliminated the ability of nurse practitioners to give hormones out, super loving over adults' access to them. have i been misinformed?

oh yeah that too, didn't really think of that i guess cuz we have two different robust networks of trans clinics that everyone goes to and they kinda dealt with it behind the scenes so there hasn't been any interruption to anyone i know as a result, but i'm sure that's absolutely not the case everywhere else.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Florida is/tried to also make prescribers personally liable for people who regret transitioning and banned insurance companies from covering trans care as well

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that's something uw was good about. they were willing to pay 150k for someone to play with bind, dhcpd, and bgpd all day

not high end money for seattle, but enough to be comfortable in the metro area. i was thinking about trying to go back for an hpc scientist gig that pays 140ish -- far from faang or even a well funded startup, but def survivable.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

transpeople here in tampa

lol rip

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

have they tried faculty pizza parties on fridays?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Honestly, I think that a huge step towards more diversity in tech would be to stop having such strict requirements on the backgrounds of applicants. Almost every time I've refered a woman / person of color / lgbt person / whoever, they've been rejected without so much a phone screen because they don't have the exact technical degree or exact experience that the recruiter is looking for. I know they can do the job well, but they don't even get a chance to try to demonstrate that! The narrow technical fields that companies are hiring from are overwhelmingly white, male, and cis, so of course they will have trouble with diversity if they insist on only hiring from that pool of people.

caveat: I'm a white dude, so treat this dei opinion accordingly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still get asked about my degree and course work by recruiters and I graduated 25 years ago

or my favorite mega-elitist question "so why haven't you gone to grad school?"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

hiring a bunch of people is one thing. then if you keep PIPing them or every one leaves with way less tenure than comparable white cis guys for mysterious, unknowable reasons, your numbers won’t go up. interesting. much too consider.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

I still get asked about my degree and course work by recruiters and I graduated 25 years ago

what was your gpa

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

what was your gpa

I didn't have one, ucsc narrative evaluations bihtc

I did once send all 70 pages of my transcript to one place that said they required it, they never paid me back for the processing fee either

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
a google recruiter acted like she was doing me the biggest favor on earth by scheduling an interview before I forwarded them my complete transcripts from 20 years ago

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had to give a PII sharing permission to my university so HR could validate my degree was real, pretty sure my first job after graduation didn't actually do that but hey, maybe I was cheesing it for the last 15 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's actually a bunch of people with fake degrees out there but they tend to be ivies or something, if you're going to lie say you graduated from stanford, not chico state