Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Got a rice cooker already, problem is it takes longer than the cars we usually use

I bet it's cheaper though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Microplastics posted:

I bet it's cheaper though

CARBS! Dang autocorrect.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

Fair enough but mainland UK manages it OK and I don't think our ne'er do wells are any less feral than NI's, so ???

ooh you have no idea lol

what's wrong with just buying a ticket from the conductor once you're on the train?

or getting there in good time??? :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

what's wrong with just buying a ticket from the conductor once you're on the train?

If you try to do this in GB they charge you more, because essentially there would otherwise not be an incentive to buy tickets at all in case they don't have someone checking them, so the logical solution is to treat anybody trying to buy tickets on the train as attempting fare evasion, which obviously makes people really want to use the train a lot.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Always noodles tbh.

Guess who eating Sharwoods noodles today that he bought in 2016. :blush:

Still perfectly good unless sunlight & heat get to them; causes chemicals to leech from the plastic making them inedible (for me at least). :barf:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Guess who eating Sharwoods noodles today that he bought in 2016. :blush:

Still perfectly good unless sunlight & heat get to them; causes chemicals to leech from the plastic making them inedible (for me at least). :barf:

Uncooked rice is probably also fine that long if properly stored

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

If you have cooked a large batch of rice then don't leave it in the cooker all day or overnight at a wonderful bacteria amenable temperature, eat what you need and get the rest in the fridge asap. :)

Even in the fridge you should eat cooked rice within 3 days.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Uncooked rice is probably also fine that long if properly stored

Brown rice goes rancid eventually but white rice, yeah. If you store it somewhere air-sealed, dark, cool, 30+ years apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Even in the fridge you should eat cooked rice within 3 days.
I'd try and get out of the fridge first. :dadjoke:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hey Bugman

I said I'd send you some stuff after work re budgets but I see you have had numerous responses on here so I won't.
The only thing I might add is
how do you keep track of spending?
do you know what your annual spending is split into maybe :
- essential & out of your control without moving (rent/mortgage/council tax/standing charges),
- essential but some flex (how much electric/gas/food) mobile
- car or other transport depending on your circumstances
- essential but can postpone quite often (eg clothes)
- savings for a rainy day (boiler goes bang, roof collapses etc)
- presents (any 21sts, weddings etc expected?)
- make life worth living but not essential: cinema / gigs / holidays / pub / whatever floats your boat / netflix / avocado toast / plasma screen tv etc
- and don't forget the things you pay annually - road tax, insurance etc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

re GBNews launching an investigation:

Doesn't exactly need Mrs Marbles or Hector Parrot to watch a vid and see what happened. What's to investigate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How much Wooton was lying when he said "I thought the texts were cheeky bantz, I didn't really expect him to come on air and act like that".

Which given that Wooton didn't terminate the call when Fox did act like that, is either 'lying' or 'lying bigly'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Presumably the investigation gives GB News the time to talk to his agent/lawyer and work out whether he's willing to quit, or if they're gonna have to fire him.
The wider reaction against Wootton still seems oddly toned-down, so I suspect this will be a "I did nothing wrong, but to avoid becoming the news, I'm going to step away" situation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

How much Wooton was lying when he said "I thought the texts were cheeky bantz, I didn't really expect him to come on air and act like that".

Which given that Wooton didn't terminate the call when Fox did act like that, is either 'lying' or 'lying bigly'.

Interesting how Trump introduced a couple of new words into the language:
doing something 'bigly' and 'covfefe'

Wootton was smirking throughout that interview so it was a bit disingenuous of him to try denying it today. I think he knew the second the first few complaints had banged in on Twitter before it got to ofcom stage that he'd done a baddie. Wonder how much GBNews viewing figures will plummet when even the 'freedom of speech' channel has its limits?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In a vacuum, I'm not sure that 'bigly' is that much worse than Warren Harding's use of 'normalcy', which got him mocked in the US and UK, but is probably more common than 'normality' in Southern Africa.

Maybe in a few decades bigly will reach that status. Can't see that happening with 'covfefe' though, because nobody knows what on earth it means.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The method by which words achieve cromulence is truly fascinating.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I guess the evening coke is kicking in
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1707097617329533391
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1707100041985339878

He's really not taking this well :allears:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i guess that wooton guy still has lots of sexual blackmail on much of fleet street then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

He's really not taking this well :allears:
He has a good point though, maybe he should be quiet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe in a few decades bigly will reach that status. Can't see that happening with 'covfefe' though, because nobody knows what on earth it means.
If there was one thing I do wish I could time travel for, it's to see future etymologists tearing their hair out and going "But why? Where does it even loving come from? How?"

Sort of like how unless future linguists know that P is next to O on a standard qwerty layout, where pwned comes from.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I finally managed to track down what Ava Evans said that Fox was responding to and I don't think it's that bad to be honest. Why it set off Fox I don't know, unless there's something I'm missing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am being killed by not getting to talk on the news. Literally murdered.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The method by which words achieve cromulence is truly fascinating.

you're literally right

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If there was one thing I do wish I could time travel for, it's to see future etymologists tearing their hair out and going "But why? Where does it even loving come from? How?"

Sort of like how unless future linguists know that P is next to O on a standard qwerty layout, where pwned comes from.
In the original context it was "Despite the constant negative press covfefe"

So maybe it means something like wu wei or hakuna matata or no worries.

Despite the constant negative press coverage, I am unfazed. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like covfefe.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Wait, Lawrence Fox is getting killed? When is this going to happen, I want to put it in my diary

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am being killed by not getting to talk on the news. Literally murdered.

I have a feeling he’s been watching Succession, as they often use killed to mean ‘taken out of the corporate game/fired’. I can practically guarantee it’s this. Which is funny because he’s like a more hosed up, less likeable, more right wing, older, uglier Roy kid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

Wait, Lawrence Fox is getting killed? When is this going to happen, I want to put it in my diary
My sources say the death penalty, for being a big oval office, being considered for @LozzaFox

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is he still trying to be London mayor?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

There is an interesting article on the physics of languages in August's Physics World.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-physics-of-languages/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1707084029269336076

:toot:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What's stopping normal schools setting themselves up as charities?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Surely they won't ditch the 20% VAT charge as well :allears:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3AM00DH0Zo&t=23s

The ditching of pledges reminds me so much of this South Park bit about investments.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quite seriously, apart from everything in their platform they plan to ignore, what does Starmer Labour stand for? Like, do they have any expressed principles at all?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There is an interesting article on the physics of languages in August's Physics World.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-physics-of-languages/

Cripes, gonna have to read that with my morning coffee, looks interesting. :peanut:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

josh04 posted:

Wanted to remind myself of the origin of "No, to the contrary" which is one of those fun little sentence fragments that has embedded itself in my psyche:

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/1039472978126417920

I made a joke based on this, forgot about it, then asked someone what they were talking about when they made a joke about it.

The past 7 years have been wild.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quite seriously, apart from everything in their platform they plan to ignore, what does Starmer Labour stand for? Like, do they have any expressed principles at all?

1. Not the tories.
2. Tory policy, but done competently.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Doing torying better than the tories. What are their policies? Ask the tories, then trust that labour will do it more/better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely I can't tell you what actual policy differences they have, they've announced and then abandoned so many things while giving the general impression of not wanting to do anything different that that's legitimately the best, most serious suggestion I can give you. Nothing is really going to change, but you can rest assured that there's a steady hand on the wheel as the ship continues to plough through the minefield that it's been going through for my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1) Getting donations from the wealthiest people possible
2) Getting orders from the wealthiest people possible