Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MJ12 posted:

The megacorps drilled into the Akashic Records, the font of all knowledge, to get more bandwidth and cloud storage space, and this is why everything is now better if you turn its wi-fi on.

This is, as far as I can tell, more or less the canon explanation.
There was more human sacrifice and breaching weird new forms of metaplane but yeah basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RFID doesn't seem too much of a stretch considering SR:HK adds an induction datajack installed under the skin of the user's hand.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 13, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wonderslug posted:

I've always thought this was a brilliant-in-hindsight bit of foreshadowing because it's exactly like Ku Feng: trying to be aloof and mysterious, doesn't actually know what it's doing (if you compare it to an actual recording it's only Moonlight-Sonata-shaped even before the obvious mistake), fucks it up, desperately wings it.

this is a good post and you're totally right, imo

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MJ12 posted:

The megacorps drilled into the Akashic Records, the font of all knowledge, to get more bandwidth and cloud storage space, and this is why everything is now better if you turn its wi-fi on.

This is, as far as I can tell, more or less the canon explanation.

paragon1 posted:

There was more human sacrifice and breaching weird new forms of metaplane but yeah basically.

I really wish they had made this as cool as it should've been.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I love how fitting it is that in a world where nearly everyone is part of a fantastic species, has magical capabilities, or has so much cyberware into them they could be called cyborgs, we're also bound to meet people who did find some power but never were in a position to make the most use of it.

Gaichu was a red samurai trained from birth before adding the power of a ghoul. Duncan is a well-trained, muscle bound cop. Gobbet has been running deadly missions long before she was of legal age, and from what little we know Isobel had to claw her way out from where she was born. Recter has deadly machinery at his beck and call.

Oh, and our troll is a walking engine of destruction.

But Ku Feng? She's just an accountant who is appropriately a pushover and improvising with a position she never expected or wanted. Gaichu may scold her, but he's talking from a position she simply doesn't know. He's been taught absolute loyalty and strength from birth. Ku Feng probably went to school to find a well paying job and hope she'd never had to use a gun or get shot. And now she just happens to be in a position where a lot of people would love to drill a hole in her head for quick cash.

In her situation, many of us would do the same, try to make the best with what we have even without a bigger plan on the horizon. I wanted another job than the one I have, still ended up working where I am unexpectedly, and I'm trying to put that together with the other aspects of my life. Ku Feng is trying to figure out the next day without some further plan on the horizon, I am, I'm sure that describes some of you as well. "I still have to wash my hair and pay for parking" I find her a very humane and relatable character in that sense.

I also believe the developpers have a thing with food. Between Gobbet the recycling bin, Gaichu who describes the way he prepares sashimi, us taking bites and sips when food is already prepared and there's nobody around, and Ku Feng professing her love for steamed buns, I suspect they put some of their own love for food in game. And I won't complain.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 15, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Well said, but I also think that in a game where everyone is either a physical and/or mystical badarse or an oligarch who can hire and command badarses, she also looks feckless. When everyone is an average joe, the average joe is relatable. When everyone is a power unto oneself, the average joe looks like a damp squib.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mindopali posted:

I also believe the developpers have a thing with food. Between Gobbet the recycling bin, Gaichu who describes the way he prepares sashimi, us taking bites and sips when food is already prepared and there's nobody around, and Ku Feng professing her love for steamed buns, I suspect they put some of their own love for food in game. And I won't complain.

The devs are based in Vancouver, which has an excellent food culture, especially for East and Southeast Asian food.

So yeah, it tracks.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Isn't that bias due to our protagonist's point of view though?

Heck, even the way I worded the first sentence in my previous reply shows that bias.

Our group is fighting mercenaries and monsters on the daily, but that's just us. Shadowrun never hid the fact that it's also full of office drones, poor workers and managers who are just ecking out a living. Sure, they might have a few more teeth than usual, but they are still your average working joe. Ku Feng has an advantage on them on account of being infected by a strain putting her above said average joe, but that's about it. It also put a target on her back and the the potential attention of a lot of bullets.

What was she going to do? Go public and risk the guillotine? Hiding and trying to carve out a discreet place for herself is basically trying to stay alive and not in complete squalor. The opportunity of an actor offering you gifts and money and thus taking care of a lot of your worldy problems isn't even punching above her weightclass. She found another shmuck who happens to be rich. She couldn't have known said schmuck would attract the attention of a boxfull of murderous and connoisseur of fine cuisine mercenaries who routinely carve holes through abominations for breakfast.

If that's feckless, what about out group?

We're forced in a situation we didn't expect - like Ku Feng - where we have to work for a fixer who could execute us if we so much as displease her, routinely fight armed mercenaries and monsters for bobbles and trinkets we ascribe no value to but other people do, merely to stay alive and - perhaps - get some information about a disappeared person we know preciously little about while also having a gigantic bounty and an entire government wanting us deader than dead.

Take away the prism of this piece of media being a videogame that has to go forward, and say you"re someone who knows of the team and the current situation, what odds would you give them to get out of it on top?

We got a bad hand and are trying to make the best of it. On that accoutn, we're not so different from Ku Feng. We're just better at the murdering thing.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 15, 2023

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Of course the PC and our crew are badass, otherwise this would be a very different game. genre constraints are just, well, what they are. the vast majority of characters, if you sum up everyone we've met, are not, though.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The devs are based in Vancouver, which has an excellent food culture, especially for East and Southeast Asian food.

So yeah, it tracks.

HBS is Seattle, not Vancouver. The logic still probably stands, though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 15, 2023

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mindopali posted:

I mean there is that one random NPC hanging around town just for the flavor whose only deal is being a mercenary grade babysitter, and making really good lumpia.

So yeah, seems like.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Psion posted:

HBS is Seattle, not Vancouver. The logic still probably stands, though.

Huh. Don't know why I thought they were here. But yeah, Seattle is pretty similar food-wise.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Huh. Don't know why I thought they were here. But yeah, Seattle is pretty similar food-wise.

Too much bad 90s tv?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 32 - Eavesdropping

Rich parties and weird vampires are behind us, the streets of Heoi are in front of us, and 4 Karma (+1 for our deal with Ku Feng) are in...side of us? Or something, either way we gotta go report back to Shenyang on a job well enough done.

Oh, probably better to take this call first.

Hello, Auntie.

You sound excited, Auntie.

[She lets out a cold little chuckle.]

Oh yes, my sweet. Yes, I am. I'll see you shortly.

Sounds like there might have been some positive developments. The doc should be in the mahjong parlor anyway, so no extra steps required from our end to see our bigger boss there first.

The crew is indeed all here, with Gobbet doing her best to blend in to the local plants. And it doesn't look like anyone's getting executed this time, so that's nice.

Nice to see you all. Should we grab a table for some mahj?

Shut up, Taz. I have important news.

[Kindly Cheng takes out her PDA and gently places it on the table in front of her.]

The wire tap we placed on the police force has borne fruit.

Whoa.

This should be good.

Should we take a seat?

Unfortunately, it's only a snippet. There were some technical difficulties with the tap.

[She glances at Bao, who nods back at her.]

The person responsible has been sacked.

Guessing the sack responsible has ended up somewhere deep as well.

Talk about taking the concept of plastic surgery to heart. And face.

<<That's what I thought you said. I'm not *making* excuses, mister. I have a department to run-->>

<<Not for much longer, if those two Westerners aren't found. They're linked to this Raymond Black somehow and my client wants them out of circulation immediately.>>

<<The two runners are his accomplices, too - the little ork and the dwarf with the cyberdeck.>>

[Gobbet looks at Is0bel wide-eyed and swallows hard. Is0bel winks back reassuringly.]

<<I'm aware, Inspector. Thank you. We don't know how much any of them know and my client is adamant that the risk be mitigated immediately.>>

<<I've already made this the SDU's highest priority. If Josephine wants more resources on it, I'm going to need allocations from elsewhere in the department.>>

<<That is a problem that can be easily dealt with. My client wants this over, NOW. No more excuses. No more gently caress-ups. No more cops floating in the river.>>

[Kindly Cheng smiles at that and pours herself a shot.]

<<Tell her we're redoubling our efforts.>>

<<Very good. Dead or alive, you bring them to me. My client requires my personal verification that the threat has been eliminated.>>

<<Hang on, this line is getting worse...>>

That's the guy we saw in the surveillance footage. The one who killed Raymond Black.

[She leans in to the PDA.]

That plastic face looks a lot cooler close up.

I think it's kind of pretty.

That video doesn't tell us much. I mean, we already know that there's an APB on us. All we're sure of now is that the man with the plastic face is definitely working for someone else. This "Josephine."

Is that all we have, Auntie? A first name?

It's not just a first name, Gobbet dear. It's *the* first name. Josephine Tsang. *She's* the one pulling the strings.

[Kindly downs her shot and slams the glass upside down on her table.]

That disease-riddled dog-fucker... I should have known it was her from the beginning.

[She drums her fingers on the table in front of her.]

And she had *nerve* to call down the heat on MY runners? On Nightjar? Oh, that scabrous fossil is going to *pay.*

So... friend of yours?

Bet only real friends get to call her that. Also can we get a recap for the er, audience?

Remind me who this Executive Council is again?

But, of course, you don't vote for them - that would be too... unpredictable. Instead, every two years, two Executive Council slots come up for election and the corporations on the Board of Governors put up some possible candidates and vote among themselves in a closed door session.

Closed door? I'm shocked.

Of course, every single one of these candidates is on some corporation's payroll, somehow. Wham, bam. Instant government.

And this woman is a CEO too, huh? What do you know about her?

She's was Hong Kong Philanthropist of the Year in 2054 and 2055 - children's hospitals, homeless shelters, food distribution centers...

Not very villainous by itself, unless they supply the third with the first two.

Good causes - and the kind that get good PR because people are too lazy and myopic to look for the *real* people doing the *hard* work. The face-to-face-with-the-poor work.

Don't be so cynical, Is0bel.

[Auntie Cheng smiles at her sweetly.]

Coming face-to-face with the unsanitized-for-video poor is distasteful, dear. You know that.

[Her face gets stony.]

Beyond being a CEO and a philanthopist, I also know that Josephine Tsang is a lying, conniving bitch.

Sounds like you two have a history together.

Whatever gave you that impression, my sweet?

[Her wolfish smile returns.]

Yes, my darling, I don't like Josephine Tsang. And I'm going to gently caress her up. I'm going to gently caress her up *bad.*

Care to elaborate on that, Auntie?

What, again? At least check the guest list for vampires, please. And accountants too, just in case.

So, what is Tsang Mechanical Services exactly?

Josephine's baby. It was a B-rated corporation before she married into the Tsang family, but after she fought for and won the contract to rebuild Kowloon Walled City, their fortunes rose. High. They began a rise to power that eventually landed Josephine on the Executive Council.

Walled City? THE Walled City?

Yes. The same place Raymond Black hired my runners to take him. I've already connected the dots. I don't know what it means, but it clearly means *something.*

And what do you think the connection is between Josephine Tsang and this Plastic-Faced Man?

That I also don't know yet. But I *will.*

He called her his client. That may be some sort of lead we can follow.

[Cheng nods at Wu. Her glance lingers at his biceps a moment before continuing.]

Right now, all we know is that he is her instrument - the one who killed Raymond Black.

Raymond's not dead.

Yes, you may have mentioned that before, Gun Show.

[She smiles at him reprovingly.]

Regardless, the Plastic-Faced Man is still our best lead for figuring out what's going on.

Then let's cut to the chase. What's our next step?

If Tsang thinks she can take out two of my runners and get away with it, I'm going to have to *explain* things to her.

[She pulls out a thin black cigar and runs it beneath her nose.]

We're going to *find* the Plastic-Faced Man and we are going to *hurt* him. We'll hurt him until we know everything he does. And then we will use that to strike back at Josephine Tsang.

[She lights her cigar and takes a deep, deep pull.]

You will have your vengeance and I will have my own... satisfaction.

Wouldn't want to be that guy, Kindly's probably going to recycle his mug into an actual mug. Got a lot to chew on here, but before we head back to our boat, let's give our report to the pile of butter that hired us.

Let me tell you about the night we had.

Vampires in the trid industry... a vampire *queen,* no less. Whatta nightmare. At least you got me Wong, and poor Neville's show is dead. That's something. All right, kid. I'll send payment to your Matrix drop. You earned it.

Glad to be able to help.

[Dr. Shenyang is about to speak, but his commlink begins to buzz. Irritated, he answers it and switches to speaker mode.]

Yeah, who is it? Whaddya want?

[Dr. Shenyang eyes the image of Neville Ma with deep suspicion.]

You don't sound too mad, Nev. What's the catch here, anyway? You must have the next big thing lined up already...

Oh, Doctor. There's no need for it. Do you want to know why I keep winning our little contests, and you're always playing catch-up? It's because you think people like Miss Wong actually *matter.* They don't. Stars are crafted - molded out of talent, yes, but ultimately constructed. With enough time and effort, anyone can be made into a star. It's just a question of manipulating public perception.

Maybe so... But I got her now, and your show's dead in the water without the star. What do you think of that, eh?

I think that I'm going to do what any good soap opera producer would do - write her character out with a tragic death, and bring on someone new. You labor under the misapprehension that viewers have loyalty. They don't. They have only appetite.

Go on, kid. We're done here. Thanks for all your help, but I gotta get going. I gotta talk to a guy about buying a buncha snakes.

Showbiz sure can be brutal, almost makes you glad for only having to deal with being a hunted outlaw fighting for your life on a daily basis. We even have our own outlaw boat to spend miserable nights in, how grand.

First and foremost we have the usual post-run business to take care of.

quote:

>>From Dr. Shenyang
>>to: Taz

Good work out there, kid. Here's the money I promised ya.

-Dr. Shenyang

Pretty meager for vampire hunting, but then it wasn't supposed to be a very complicated job, so guess we'll take it.

The museum shipping manifest we put up for sale last time nets us some extra cash, and we put up the Repulse Bay construction plans we picked up in the hopes of another haul later.

We'll pick up our next job a little later, for now let's relax a little and see what the hot topics are in the Hong Kong Shadowlands today.

[Looking for experienced decker for a discreet milk run on a low-level corporate lab. Potential for a longer term arrangement. We’re a team that’s been together for years, running your basic heists and the occasional transport gig. We’ve got a reliable fixer and long list of happy clients.

Requirements:
1. You must not take experimental stims during runs.
2. You must have a good sense of humor.]

- gimmesomenuyen888 <04:21:36/08-15-56>

[Weren’t you just looking for a decker a little while back? I saw your ad, but I was wrapping up a one-time run with an old partner who’s moved away. I’d be interested in meeting. Isn’t MuffinTopNinja your phys ad?]
- runswithscissors2056 <04:52:06/08-15-56>

[Did someone call my name?]
- MuffinTopNinja <05:14:52/08-15-56>

[Hey, MTN! Long time no beer. We gotta catch up, sensei. Bring me on as your decker! I guess the kid who answered your last ad didn’t work out?]
- runswithscissors2056 <05:27:32/08-15-56>

[Uh, that’s an understatement. I think we can count on you to not consume any drugs during runs, most specifically drugs that were part of the payload. Fatal experimental drugs that were part of the payload.]
- MuffinTopNinja <05:39:57/08-15-56>

[Ouch.]
- runswithscissors2056 <05:43:24/08-15-56>

[That’s not even a rookie error. It’s just… lack of common sense. A real shame, that. Anyway, I’m glad you’re on board, runs! We’re not going to have a problem with you.]
- MuffinTopNinja <05:49:18/08-15-56>

[I acquired a huge supply of cutting-edge cybernetic eyes. My fence did a runner, so I’ve got eyes up to my eyeballs, as it were. Make me an offer!]
- shankmeister007 <10:02:39/08-15-56>

[They’ve got the whole nine yards: 20/10 vision, camera, low-light and thermographic modes. One size fits all. Sold in pairs only (boxed set).]
- shankmeister007 <10:13:20/08-15-56>

[Colors: brown, blue, violet, hazel, green, green flecked with gold, chrome. And you’ve got to install them yourself.]
- shankmeister007 <10:24:52/08-15-56>

[Trade you a Ranger Arms SM-3. Comes with a matching briefcase.]
- SquintyFace <10:38:02/08-15-56>

[Deal. Message me.]
- shankmeister007 <10:40:57/08-15-56>

[Can I swap you my old cybereyes for a new set?]
- lextalionis <10:43:11/08-15-56>

[Seriously, anything but that.]
- shankmeister007 <10:47:25/08-15-56>

[Can I buy one blue and one brown eye?]
- HunkyDory71 <10:56:53/08-15-56>

[No, but you can buy two pairs. Sheesh.]
- shankmeister007 <10:59:38/08-15-56>

[If anybody ever has the hankering to go to to Uncle Tse's House of Pork in Tai O, I can only say one thing. For the love of all that's holy, don't. I haven't been able to leave my house in two days. The only reason I can even post here is because of the RAS override on my deck.]
- Beeli <06:57:12/08-15-56>

[What did you eat? Maybe you were just unlucky.]
- SirYumYumCha <07:12:31/08-15-56>

[All I had were some shumai and ribs! That's pretty basic, and hard to mess up. Unlucky is when I get a bad orange at the market. This isn't unlucky. This is something else. This is some kind of vile, gastro-intestinal sorcery.]
- Beeli <07:19:45/08-15-56>

[Oh my god. I only ate their once - once! I still have nightmares. It felt like I'd eaten a wasp nest, if the wasps were made of rusty razors. And also on fire.]
- Maofuu <07:24:10/08-15-56>

[I thought I was being clever by getting the pulled pork sandwich, when I ate there. Nope. Aside from basically being a pile of congealed sludge and the bread being moldy, it was a week before I could hold down anything more solid than congee.]
- LeTipex <07:29:31/08-15-56>

[What, are you all a bunch of children? Yeah, the kitchen is dirty. But I've eaten there dozens of times, and not once have I gotten sick. Grow up and learn to eat adult food.]
- RatStar123 <07:32:13/08-15-56>

[Wait a second, aren't you the person who was raving about that food cart on the corner of Kimberly and Observatory? You told me to get the yuzu-glazed horse tripe?]
- Maofuu <07:35:54/08-15-56>

[Yeah! How'd you like it? Pretty good, huh?]
- RatStar123 <07:41:05/08-15-56>

[If by 'good' you mean 'the consistency of tar and old tires,' yes. The tripe must have been a week or more old, and I'm pretty sure I smelled rot once the initial citrus blast wore off. Take note: this user's advice on food is not to be trusted.]
- Maofuu <07:43:23/08-15-56>

[Oh god. Reading that actually got me to push past the RAS override. Now my deck is covered in vomit. Thanks, guys. I mean it. Nothing I love more than being sick *and* disgusting.]
- Beeli <07:45:29/08-15-56>

[I'm uploading another Walled City report. This one old - from just after they built it. I ended up digging into the history of the place. It's just archival plaintext.]
- Is0bel <12:02:16/08-15-56>

quote:

CONSOLIDATED PRESS - HONG KONG DESK

Tsang Mechanical Services ("Tsang") was again accused in a joint lawsuit, headed by Wuxing, Inc., of embezzling hundreds of millions of nuyen during the construction of the Walled City Low Income Housing Project.

The plaintiffs filed an official complaint on Monday, stating that construction contractors had been heavily pressured by Tsang to use cheap construction techniques, while kickbacks, graft, and mis-routing of funds caused several hundred million nuyen to vanish. Tsang's legal team strenuously objected to the accusations, citing lack of proof and the corporation's own damaged fortunes. Legal team spokesman Li Quishan had this to say:

"The Walled City contract was a disaster for my client. The project was sabotaged at every turn by union activists and competing corporations. TMS struggled heroically to complete the project despite this interference. These parties have now added insult to injury by fabricating charges of malfeasance, based on the very obstacles which they themselves created. This has truly become theater of the absurd."

Is it true? According to Consolidated Press Financial Analyst Gertrude Schoen, it seems unlikely.

"Tsang has struggled financially since the Walled City project. Tsang stock (Ticker Symbol TMQ, Hong Kong & Tokyo exchanges) is trading at around 40% of its peak, which it reached just after receiving the Walled City contract, four years ago. Although investigators have indicated there is evidence of possible misconduct, no misappropriated funds have been found - and CEO Josephine Tsang recently sold her Victoria Peak estate, citing financial difficulties. If TMS or the Tsang family have benefited from stolen Walled City funds, they're not showing it."

[Huh, I always thought that Tsang rocketed to success on the back of the Walled City. They sure trumpet that, in their PR.]
- Dongjiang <12:37:21/08-15-56>

[Yup. It's a brilliant piece of historical revisionism. The Walled City was a huge loss of face at the time - but somehow they've rebranded the whole fiasco over the last couple decades. Maybe their underbidding made them seem like a real sucker, and brought in the contracts.]
- Amonita <12:42:33/08-15-56>

[Is0bel, I find the fact that you posted a financial article to be charming.]
- White Prism <12:44:05/08-15-56>

[White Prism, did you just hit on Is0? Amonita's gonna skin you.]
- Freedom Cowboy <12:50:42/08-15-56>

[No, that's just WP. He's incapable of flirting. Would you date a woman named "Amonita" and then try to charm someone else on the BBS? WP is just an agro mentat with a poor social filter.]
- Amonita <12:54:14/08-15-56>

[You two must have an interesting relationship.]
- Freedom Cowboy <12:57:12/08-15-56>

[Let's just say we radically complement each other.]
- Amonita <13:03:22/08-15-56>

We also have some personal mail.

quote:

>>From: Gobbet
>>To: Taz
>>Subject: Auntie Cheng and Josephine

Hey Seattle,

I think I can add a little context to that thing between Auntie and Josephine Tsang - you know, the thing that makes Auntie hit the sauce and talk revenge. This a combo of stuff I heard and stuff I put together myself, so your mileage may vary.

For years, the Yellow Lotus acted as tax collectors within the Walled City. Since the Walled City was built by Josephine Tsang, and the Yellow Lotus was run by Auntie Cheng, they must’ve had a working business relationship... for a while, at least. From what Nightjar told me (he was her favorite - you got that, right?), Auntie was known as a real up-and-comer back then. She was on the fast track to be the next Yellow Lotus 438... that’s a big-deal gig, Seattle. Money and power galore.

Now, you need to know that there were a lot of triads and corps doing biz in the Walled City. All sorts of stuff. Sometimes they work together nicely, and sometimes people get bloody. The way that I heard it, Auntie came up with some sort of grand plan to consolidate business in the Walled City. The power would be split between the Yellow Lotus and Tsang’s company, and everyone else would get cut out. If her plan worked, Auntie would rise in the Lotus like nobody’s business, and Josephine Tsang would make long bank.

There was a catch, though. In order for the plan to work, both women would need to jump through a LOT of hoops. There'd be street-level maneuvering and power-plays on Auntie’s side, and blackmail and negotiations on the corporate level from Josephine Tsang. My info gets sketchy here. From what I've pieced together, Tsang went behind Auntie's back and took her plan to her boss, a 438 named Wong Lun Fat. They cut Kindly out of her own plan.

Why’d Tsang do that? My guess is that she saw Auntie as some sort of threat. People in the know say that Wong Lun Fat is weak and greedy - she can be manipulated if her palm remains well-greased. Long story short: power WAS consolidated in the Walled City, just like Auntie planned. Only she didn't wind up getting any of it. Her climb up the Lotus ladder came to an abrupt halt; she's still a Straw Sandal, just like she was before Tsang backstabbed her. And now she’s stuck in Heoi like a fly in amber.

I’d be pissed too, if it were me.

-Gobbet

Let's check up on our childhood pal before hitting the bunk, he tends to get restless whenever Raymond's name comes up.

You're gonna wear a hole in the floor that way.

[Wu keeps pacing.]

Need something?

Yeah, a drink. Looks like you could use one, too.

I hear Club 88 has two-for-ones between four and six o'clock - but you'll have to drink 'em both. I don't put drugs or alcohol into my body.

Anymore, you mean. You don't put crap into your body *anymore.*

That's right. I'll own that. *Anymore.* I don't need my judgment impaired like that *anymore.* We both know what can happen when I drink.

Are you going to be okay?

Yep. Just trying to maintain. Pacing helps. Been thinking about Josephine Tsang. What she did to our family. What she did to Carter.

[His pace increases a bit, and his tusks jut forward slightly.]

Josephine Tsang. Goddamn Josephine Tsang.

And?

And how I'm going to make her pay for it.

All that thinking and pacing, and that's what you came up with? That you're gonna make her pay for it?

I was thinking of all the *ways* I could make her pay.

Come up with anything fun?

Oh yeah. I can be creative when I want to. The old Duncan is coming out to play.

Points for spirit, but there's a reason why you've never been the Plan Guy of this team, Duncan. Or even the Vice Plan Guy. Hell, by the time we're down to "Duncan" in the Plan Guy chain of succession, the team's probably down to just you and the slower one of Gobbet's rats. And let's face it, the brighter one didn't have a whole lot left to work with by that point.

Kidnap a member of the Hong Kong Executive Council while there's an APB out on us?

Think about it, Shin! They'll never see it coming. This is the way to go. My way.

Whoa. Did you just say that?

Raymond Black, our benevolent dictator. No questioning his rules. No falling short of his expectations. It was his way or the wrong way.

Or you'd get the full-on Raymond treatment.

Oh, hell yes. It took me a long time to straighten out and fly right. Do things Raymond's way. You remember what happened a few years after we moved out of the squat and into his house? The thing with Double-Trey and Lockjaw, when he accused you and me of relapsing back into our old ways? Man, that was when Ray's authority finally got tested.

[His raspy baritone is tinged with satisfaction.]

When I finally stood up to him.

He could be pretty drat rigid. But then again, you both could be.

Yeah, I know. I've been working on it, but I definitely still have my moments. Ray and I had our little pattern, didn't we? I wouldn't listen, he wouldn't listen, then we butted heads. Rinse and repeat once every few weeks.

[He smiles, but it's filled with regret.]

But that time was the worst.

Better not, we start smashing these things at each other in the middle of the night and the neighbors are gonna wake up thinking there's a battleship blasting away in the harbor.

[He stretches. You can hear his joints crack.]

...And on that note, I'm gonna have to ask you to clear out. It's been another long day.

I'm getting the feeling that they're all gonna be long days.

Yeah. I'm getting that feeling, too. Anyway, have a good night, Shin. I'll catch you tomorrow.

Seems we've ended up following Raymond's way yet again, and we don't know where exactly it's taken him this time around either. Could be to the grave for all we know, in which case we gotta be careful that we don't tumble right down the same hole with the old guy.

We do need to get some rest though, or what passes for rest in this place anyway. Safe bet that we're gonna need all the energy we can put together for whatever nonsense we'll get dragged into on our next job. Just... developing some pattern recognition here is all.

Well, guess that doesn't rank as the worst night we've had so far, which mostly goes to show that our standards have gone down in a real hurry.

Standing here groaning about it won't help though, so let's instead go see if the rest of our trusty crew have survived through the night as well.

- A little surprisingly the actual payment for the Repulse Bay job is the same no matter what happens to Ku Feng or Penelope Wong, and Shenyang isn't particularly bothered either way, with only some minor dialogue differences not even worth really showing off.

Duncan's thoughts on the Repulse Bay run if he was there (there's four slightly different versions depending on where Wong and the vampire ended up but again nothing too interesting:)

What do I think about it? Well, hmm, let me ponder that for a second...

[He begins ticking off items on his fingers.]

...We crashed a fancy party, disturbed the who's who of the Hong Kong trideo scene, and fought a vampire.

...But you took it upon yourself to help the vampire become a vampire queen. *That* was an interesting choice. Not what Doc Shenyang would want, but what does he know? He's only the guy that's paying us.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I swear the artist used Gilbert Godfried as a reference for Neville Ma.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kanfy posted:

Part 32 - Eavesdropping

[If anybody ever has the hankering to go to to Uncle Tse's House of Pork in Tai O, I can only say one thing. For the love of all that's holy, don't. I haven't been able to leave my house in two days. The only reason I can even post here is because of the RAS override on my deck.]
- Beeli <06:57:12/08-15-56>

[What did you eat? Maybe you were just unlucky.]
- SirYumYumCha <07:12:31/08-15-56>

[All I had were some shumai and ribs! That's pretty basic, and hard to mess up. Unlucky is when I get a bad orange at the market. This isn't unlucky. This is something else. This is some kind of vile, gastro-intestinal sorcery.]
- Beeli <07:19:45/08-15-56>

[Oh my god. I only ate their once - once! I still have nightmares. It felt like I'd eaten a wasp nest, if the wasps were made of rusty razors. And also on fire.]
- Maofuu <07:24:10/08-15-56>

[I thought I was being clever by getting the pulled pork sandwich, when I ate there. Nope. Aside from basically being a pile of congealed sludge and the bread being moldy, it was a week before I could hold down anything more solid than congee.]
- LeTipex <07:29:31/08-15-56>

[What, are you all a bunch of children? Yeah, the kitchen is dirty. But I've eaten there dozens of times, and not once have I gotten sick. Grow up and learn to eat adult food.]
- RatStar123 <07:32:13/08-15-56>

[Wait a second, aren't you the person who was raving about that food cart on the corner of Kimberly and Observatory? You told me to get the yuzu-glazed horse tripe?]
- Maofuu <07:35:54/08-15-56>

[Yeah! How'd you like it? Pretty good, huh?]
- RatStar123 <07:41:05/08-15-56>

[If by 'good' you mean 'the consistency of tar and old tires,' yes. The tripe must have been a week or more old, and I'm pretty sure I smelled rot once the initial citrus blast wore off. Take note: this user's advice on food is not to be trusted.]
- Maofuu <07:43:23/08-15-56>

[Oh god. Reading that actually got me to push past the RAS override. Now my deck is covered in vomit. Thanks, guys. I mean it. Nothing I love more than being sick *and* disgusting.]
- Beeli <07:45:29/08-15-56>

Never change, Gobbet.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The botulism gives it flavor!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're the best, Auntie. :allears:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The bits from the local Shadowland bbs are some of my favorite parts of this game. The ongoing effort of that team to find a decker are wonderful, in particular.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The message boards remain a treat. It's hilarious how Gobbet is committing gastrointestinal warfare on random runners accidentally.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some food is best left for the rats.:barf:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Shadowrun Hong Kong honestly is the best parts of Shadowrun running on all cylinders, and it's the little touches like the Shadowlands BBS or the "vampire queen" being some luckless accountant that makes it so good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Keldulas posted:

The message boards remain a treat. It's hilarious how Gobbet is committing gastrointestinal warfare on random runners accidentally.

Maybe they should pray to rat more :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ProfessorCirno posted:

Shadowrun Hong Kong honestly is the best parts of Shadowrun running on all cylinders, and it's the little touches like the Shadowlands BBS or the "vampire queen" being some luckless accountant that makes it so good.

It really is. I liked Dragonfall, but I loved Hong Kong. Starting as a non-runner and the focus on the protagonist’s interpersonal connections really elevated it I think.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Never change, Gobbet.

Are we sure Gobbet is an ork, because it feels like she might be an ogre, given her apparent total immunity to stomach problems.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Given how many rats there are out there in habitats ranging from cities to ships to magical wastelands, maybe Gobbet has a point about what actually healthy eating looks like

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rats have a very short lifespans though.

Great dragons live many thousands of years at the least, maybe there's something to be said of a humanitarian diet.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

By popular demand posted:

Rats have a very short lifespans though.
So do shadowrunners.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nonsense! I'm sure this runswithscissors2056 fellow is an excellent and careful decker, and absolutely nothing will shorten their lifespan in the near future.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

FoolyCharged posted:

Nonsense! I'm sure this runswithscissors2056 fellow is an excellent and careful decker, and absolutely nothing will shorten their lifespan in the near future.

I too am sure. I have heard the prospect is a young inexperienced maniac who has been noted as a bad influence by multiple sources, but those sources are of dubious reputation, so that might not be a big deal.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MJ12 posted:

Are we sure Gobbet is an ork, because it feels like she might be an ogre, given her apparent total immunity to stomach problems.

I would say that it's a gift to her from the Rat Spirit, but honestly Gobbet happily eats things actual rats would definitely refuse to touch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rat isn't actual rats, he's conceptual 'rats'. Rats as imprinted on the manasphere, mostly by humans.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

Stroth posted:

I would say that it's a gift to her from the Rat Spirit, but honestly Gobbet happily eats things actual rats would definitely refuse to touch.

I'd love it if even the Rat Spirit didn't know how the hell she's able to eat all this without falling sick.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Mindopali posted:

I'd love it if even the Rat Spirit didn't know how the hell she's able to eat all this without falling sick.

Splinter might have to call Scumbug to find out the answer.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Rat isn't actual rats, he's conceptual 'rats'. Rats as imprinted on the manasphere, mostly by humans.

that said, Conceptual Rats absolutely includes "eat everything, do not give a poo poo"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that said, Conceptual Rats absolutely includes "eat everything, do not give a poo poo"

Exactly.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

The Lone Badger posted:

… manasphere …

I read this aloud in my head and it’s a good job there’s no incel spirit

(Please tell me there’s no incel spirit)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

I read this aloud in my head and it’s a good job there’s no incel spirit

(Please tell me there’s no incel spirit)

I figure it's The Adversary putting on a fake mustache as it finds a new way to manipulate people into doing horrible things.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I suppose Andrew Tate would be an Avatar of the Adversay in the Shadowrun universe.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There wasn't any supernatural influence behind Humanis Policlub back in Dragonfall, so I don't see why other hate groups should necessarily have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
an important detail on Adversary that you can miss in Dragonfall is that Harrow is only sort of an Adversary shaman

Shamanism is a two way street, and as totems shape humans, humans can shape totems. there is a phenomenon called Toxic Shamans, who have twisted their totem's ideals into something that is entirely counter to what they're usually about. the Adversary is about rebellion against the Man. yes, he seduces, yes, he manipulates, yes, he knows he's doing right when they call him the bad guy. but when you use the power of the Throne-Breaker to build yourself a throne, you are tapping something into something that's on the Adversary's "dies screaming for mercy that will not come" list.

if you say 'better to rule in hell than serve in heaven' the Adversary is coming at you, very fast, smiling widely, white-hot flame trailing from his fists, at precisely word three. spoilers for the previous game: there is a reason Glory gets some of her shamanic powers back if she kills the motherfucker.