Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Milosh posted:

Getting the new vaccine tonight. How long does it take for immunity to kick in? I'll be safe in the interim and after

Never from this generation of vaccines. But your titers will be at max 2-3 weeks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
kid's annual check up was today. he got 4 shots but not covid, because they don't have any doses. so back to school with the immune response learned from last November's infection

I keep wanting to change the thread title but god drat

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1707099377641415036

In other word, BA.2.86 just got even better at evading our immune system.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

that's a problem for next year's vaccines

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I've generally been refraining from discussing my medical stuff since that seems to be an attractive nuisance for the thread, but yes the amount of student sick absence being discussed is absolutely novel and unusual compared to the historical norm. I was considered a chronic problem student for attendance throughout my schooling because I'd miss a week or two every semester from being sick all the loving time, and that's even with the schools doing poo poo like administering hearing tests to confirm that yes, in fact, my destroyed eardrum still doesn't function, or requiring me to get a doctor to sign off on a piece of paper to attest every time some poo poo like 'this child with a 104 degree fever shouldn't be in a classroom'.

Some quick googling brings up articles suggesting that student absenteeism has roughly doubled, by some metrics? Like it's pretty loving clear that kids are getting more sick more frequently now, and our sarcastic irony-poisoned posting aside, I'm pretty loving certain it wasn't all the fault of a couple months of remote schooling three loving years ago. I don't know where to even begin in my condolences to parents and children now, when I had to grow up constantly being called lots of 'fun' ableist slurs and now everyone's just full face-tanking a disease that hits harder and more often than any of the crap that disabled me. I guess for now we, what, just hope the resilience of children's cardiovascular and immune systems is up to the task? Because otherwise it's pretty hard to think about what years of disabling disease in a hyper-normalized hellscape is going to look like in the near future, especially when people are already ignoring the millions of disabled and deceased already.

...not that any of the thread-suggested literature on previous pandemics has been encouraging, in that regard.

fosborb posted:

kid's annual check up was today. he got 4 shots but not covid, because they don't have any doses. so back to school with the immune response learned from last November's infection

I keep wanting to change the thread title but god drat

I am so sorry, and best of luck to you and yours. Can't fault you getting excited for some sliver of good-ish news in all this.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

word in the media right now is that years of lockdowns caused kids to stop caring about going to school. now, they either sit in their rooms on their phones or roam the streets searching for retailers to loot.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

curious to hear how years of lockdowns could have occurred when we had our official Open 'Er Up & Return to Normal parties in September 2020, January 2021, March 2021, June 2021, September 2021, February 2022, May 2022, September 2022, January 2023, April 2023, and August 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"I know he has Covid, but is he actually sick? Because when I had Covid I was fine, I came to work."

:thunkgun:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

googling "return to normal" filtered from 5/1/2021 to 10/1/2021 sure is a good time

(Johns Hopkins Medicine) Stressed about 'returning to normal'? Here are tips to ease into the transition

there were some optimists at the time too though

(Reuters) Return to normal life after COVID may not occur until 2023 -French scientist

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Got my aptitude metrix direct order today, mine are all 2024-04-21 expiration dates. The reader unit has no expiration date as a side note. Not planning to test yet as no reason to and I'm not made of money so nothing to report there.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

curious to hear how years of lockdowns could have occurred when we had our official Open 'Er Up & Return to Normal parties in September 2020, January 2021, March 2021, June 2021, September 2021, February 2022, May 2022, September 2022, January 2023, April 2023, and August 2023

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/27/politics/school-covid-pandemic-aid-learning-loss/index.html

What I like about the end of this article is that additional instructional time (and personnel!) are posited as solutions.

Totally easy to do that when both kids and staff are sick so often.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...months%20later.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition. This is my second week reporting with the new setup so bear with me as I get the kinks sorted out.

Emergency visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities applying the state's weekly ratio of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 and HHS' total ED visits due to all causes. Because the HHS' ED visits update the Monday after the state's Wednesday report, the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the average of the past three weeks of HHS' total visits combined with the state's most recently published ratio for that week.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Sep 17            -        -        -        -    + 1,361       1,361
Sep 10            -        -        -    1,420      + 199       1,619
Sep 03            -        -    1,362       66          -       1,428
Aug 27            -        -    1,205       58          -       1,263
Aug 20            -        -    1,150        -          -       1,150
All Older         -        -   22,970      474          -          

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. The report I pull this from updates the Friday after the state's Wednesday update so the most recent week shown is averaged from the past three weeks of published data and should be considered with a grain of salt. Second most recent week of data is the actual count as reported last Friday.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Sep 17            -        -        -        -      + 326         326
Sep 10            -        -        -      302       + 60         362
Sep 03            -        -        -      324          -         324
Aug 27            -        -      290        1          -         291
Aug 20            -        -      283        7          -         290
All Older         -        -    8,411      221          -          
Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities flagged with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Sep 17            -        -        -        -    + 2,450       2,450
Sep 10            -        -        -    2,268          -       2,268
Sep 03            -        -    2,401      -15       + 15       2,401
Aug 27            -        -    2,163        3        - 3       2,163
Aug 20            -        -    1,806        2        - 2       1,806
All Older         -        -   66,864       17       - 17          
Recent deaths certified/coded as or referencing to COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of info pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears the Thursday before the state's Wednesday report. While the state seems to be behind on reporting these, however the most recent week's total is almost always higher once it does update.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:				7-Day
Sep 17            -        -        -        -          -           -
Sep 10            -        -        -        -       + 10          10
Sep 03            -        -        -       11       + 19          30
Aug 27            -        -       17       16          -          33
Aug 20            -        -       18        1          -          19
All Older         -        -      981        4          -          
And now for the least useful metric...

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Sep 17            -        -        -        -    + 3,932       3,932
Sep 10            -        -        -    4,059      + 254       4,313
Sep 03            -        -    3,663      186       + 49       3,898
Aug 27            -        -    3,908       35       + 15       3,958
Aug 20            -        -    3,313        5        + 2       3,320
All Older         -        -   91,135       17        + 3          

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I've generally been refraining from discussing my medical stuff since that seems to be an attractive nuisance for the thread, but yes the amount of student sick absence being discussed is absolutely novel and unusual compared to the historical norm. I was considered a chronic problem student for attendance throughout my schooling because I'd miss a week or two every semester from being sick all the loving time, and that's even with the schools doing poo poo like administering hearing tests to confirm that yes, in fact, my destroyed eardrum still doesn't function, or requiring me to get a doctor to sign off on a piece of paper to attest every time some poo poo like 'this child with a 104 degree fever shouldn't be in a classroom'.

Some quick googling brings up articles suggesting that student absenteeism has roughly doubled, by some metrics? Like it's pretty loving clear that kids are getting more sick more frequently now, and our sarcastic irony-poisoned posting aside, I'm pretty loving certain it wasn't all the fault of a couple months of remote schooling three loving years ago. I don't know where to even begin in my condolences to parents and children now, when I had to grow up constantly being called lots of 'fun' ableist slurs and now everyone's just full face-tanking a disease that hits harder and more often than any of the crap that disabled me. I guess for now we, what, just hope the resilience of children's cardiovascular and immune systems is up to the task? Because otherwise it's pretty hard to think about what years of disabling disease in a hyper-normalized hellscape is going to look like in the near future, especially when people are already ignoring the millions of disabled and deceased already.

...not that any of the thread-suggested literature on previous pandemics has been encouraging, in that regard.

I am so sorry, and best of luck to you and yours. Can't fault you getting excited for some sliver of good-ish news in all this.

it is a different demographic but in my current profession where I have to deal with a lot of vendors and sales reps, there are more people either dropping off the map for weeks or mentioning mysterious illnesses than I can ever remember in my history. also dealing with lots of memory problems. people are writing things down because they can't remember anymore then losing the notes and forgetting they took notes.

Is this covid? No idea. I have no reason to ask and only a few people have shared that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

tangy yet delightful posted:

Got my aptitude metrix direct order today, mine are all 2024-04-21 expiration dates. The reader unit has no expiration date as a side note. Not planning to test yet as no reason to and I'm not made of money so nothing to report there.

I have someone coming over on Friday and my test is coming tomorrow so ill trip report on Friday.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Indoor Dying posted:

Going to get Corn M'Narty'd today, although there's still time for Walgreens to call and cancel or say wait what updated booster, haven't heard of it, that will be $200 bless

Lol fail. Denied because it’s not covered since I crossed state lines (medicaid rules). Pharmacy person said she’s been turning a lot of people away. America the great.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Indoor Dying posted:

Lol fail. Denied because it’s not covered since I crossed state lines (medicaid rules). Pharmacy person said she’s been turning a lot of people away. America the great.

the tools are somewhere
not there, though
and not for you

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Insanite posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/27/politics/school-covid-pandemic-aid-learning-loss/index.html

What I like about the end of this article is that additional instructional time (and personnel!) are posited as solutions.

Totally easy to do that when both kids and staff are sick so often.

well we would have a lot more staff and kids in school if we could just open 'er up and go back to normal one more time >=(

he meant that he can see 1000 years into the future i think

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Made an appointment up at a Walgreens waaay out in the boonies a week later after it got approved, you think I was smart to do that.

Showed up in person only for them to tell me they ran out and they hope to get more next week lmao

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Got Pfizer’d in one arm and flu’d in the other. I was surrounded by my fellow Doomers - senior citizens in masks. One granny got those two plus the RSV shot. The will to live amongst the elderly around here is strong!

I have 10 days until a work trip, so not optimal, but at least I could get it. I’ve yet to get the ‘vid but it’s only a matter of time before my son gets us Nature’s vaccine from school. Basically just hoping when he gets it that either my wife or I are spared. My brother, who has a similar health & lifestyle profile as me, got loving rocked a couple weeks ago.

Talking about 2021 reminds me when I had to visit a military base for work, to demo some products. Before the Col. or whoever invites into his office he goes “You guys aren’t one of those freaks who refused the vaccine, are ya?”

If only that lasted. Truly for like 3 months, before he waning was becoming super real, we had 90%+ immunity to infection….god dammit

Crazyweasel has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Sep 27, 2023

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Insanite posted:

word in the media right now is that years of lockdowns caused kids to stop caring about going to school. now, they either sit in their rooms on their phones or roam the streets searching for retailers to loot.

Whatever weight it might actually have, been seeing Tiktoks working off at least one or two from teachers and parents about children having learning loss issues and it kind of makes me uneasy insofar I think it's putting the blame on the time kids spent out of school in "lockdowns". The other thing that makes me uneasy and I hope I'm wrong about is the feeling that possible neuro effects are widespread enough in children that it's actually noticeable to a severe degree.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

empireofcrime posted:

Whatever weight it might actually have, been seeing Tiktoks working off at least one or two from teachers and parents about children having learning loss issues and it kind of makes me uneasy insofar I think it's putting the blame on the time kids spent out of school in "lockdowns". The other thing that makes me uneasy and I hope I'm wrong about is the feeling that possible neuro effects are widespread enough in children that it's actually noticeable to a severe degree.

i think it's at least in part classroom disruption. my kids constantly have substitutes now and they do gently caress all those days

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Animal-Mother posted:

"I know he has Covid, but is he actually sick? Because when I had Covid I was fine, I came to work."

:thunkgun:

:shepface:

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Insanite posted:

the tools are somewhere
not there, though
and not for you

Found a Rite Aid that (incredibly) had an available appointment tomorrow. Guess I'll try there. It's like a scavenger hunt for the tools! And then you have to bribe a wizard to give them too you. So fun!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Folks, I have some bad news for you...

https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1706824476631933044

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

(..)

Updated nature's vaccine rollout looking good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
active perception check to find vaccine
intimidation check to demand administration
save against constitution to develop immunity

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Majorian posted:

Updated nature's vaccine rollout looking rough.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Anyways, speaking of Naomi.

https://www.vox.com/the-gray-area/2023/9/26/23884046/naomi-klein-doppelganger-the-gray-area posted:

Naomi Klein on her doppelganger (and yours)
Are we living through a uniquely brain-breaking era? Ask someone who went deep into the “mirror world.”
(..)
A new book by the influential writer and activist Naomi Klein is a near-heroic attempt to sort through these sorts of questions. It’s called Doppelganger and it’s ostensibly about her struggles to avoid being confused with Naomi Wolf, the former liberal feminist icon turned anti-vax conspiracist.
(..)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

:eyepop:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

i think it's at least in part classroom disruption. my kids constantly have substitutes now and they do gently caress all those days

I think Covid has caused lingering issues for much of the population (kids and adults) that could manifest as school problems - brain fog, fatigue, etc..., but I also think kids aren't immune to the "everything is completely pointless" vibe that has pervaded since 2016.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Population level long-term cardiovascular etc. study, demonstrating a marked increase. Some caveats apply: 1) This was under Delta, 2) people dying within 30 days are excluded and 3) people reinfected within 300 days were also excluded.
"Long-term Cardiovascular, Cerebrovascular, and Other Thrombotic Complications in Coronavirus Disease 2019 Survivors: A Retrospective Cohort Study"

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciad469/7276646 posted:

Abstract
Background
Growing evidence suggests that some coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) survivors experience a wide range of long-term postacute sequelae. We examined the postacute risk and burden of new-incident cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, and other thrombotic complications after severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection in a highly vaccinated multiethnic Southeast Asian population, during Delta predominance.

Methods
This cohort study used national testing and healthcare claims databases in Singapore to build a cohort of individuals who had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test between 1 September and 30 November 2021 when Delta predominated community transmission. Concurrently, we constructed a test-negative control group by enrolling individuals between 13 April 2020 and 31 December 2022 with no evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Participants in both groups were followed up for a median of 300 days. We estimated risks of new-incident cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, and other thrombotic complications using doubly robust competing-risks survival analysis. Risks were reported using 2 measures: hazard ratio (HR) and excess burden (EB) with 95% confidence intervals.

Results
We included 106 012 infected cases and 1 684 085 test-negative controls. Compared with the control group, individuals with COVID-19 exhibited increased risk (HR, 1.157 [1.069–1.252]) and excess burden (EB, 0.70 [.53–.88]) of new-incident cardiovascular and cerebrovascular complications. Risks decreased in a graded fashion for fully vaccinated (HR, 1.11 [1.02–1.22]) and boosted (HR, 1.10 [.92–1.32]) individuals. Conversely, risks and burdens of subsequent cardiovascular/cerebrovascular complications increased for hospitalized and severe COVID-19 cases (compared to nonhospitalized cases).

Conclusions
Increased risks and excess burdens of new-incident cardiovascular/cerebrovascular complications were reported among infected individuals; risks can be attenuated with vaccination and boosting.
(..)
Cases were taken as those who were infected with SARS-CoV-2 for the first time during the period when transmission of the Delta variant predominated (1 September–30 November 2021), with the index date of infection (T0) taken as the date of first positive PCR/RAT. We excluded individuals who died within 30 days or had reinfections within 300 days of T0.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some potentially important insurance coverage news.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4226490-biden-administration-draws-commitment-from-health-insurers-to-cover-covid-19-shots/ posted:

Biden administration draws commitment from health insurers to cover COVID-19 shots

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) met with representatives from the health insurance industry on Wednesday, receiving commitments that the updated COVID-19 vaccines will be covered after reports arose of some people having to pay out-of-pocket for their immunizations.

HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra met with executives from Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS), the Better Medicare Alliance, CareFirst, Cigna, Humana, and CVS Health, which owns Aetna as well as AHIP, the trade organization that represents the health insurance industry.
(..)
The insurance companies on Wednesday apparently told Becerra that these technical issues with covering the vaccines have now been “largely if not completely” resolved.

In a letter to Becerra on Wednesday, AHIP, the Alliance of Community Health Plans, the Association for Community Affiliated Plans and BCBS stated, “You have our commitment that health insurers are fully covering the new COVID-19 shots, as required, with no cost sharing when consumers access them from a network provider or receive them through an out-of-network provider when in-network options are unavailable.”
(..)
The meeting also apparently led to BCBS adding Walgreens to its network for federal employees after HHS discussed the pharmacy chain not being in-network.
(..)
The department also provided an update on the vaccinations in the U.S. Information on vaccination rates stopped being updated on the CDC’s website after the end of the public health emergency declaration.

According to HHS, more than 2 million people have been vaccinated so far and more than six million vaccines have been shipped to pharmacies. More than 8 million free at-home COVID tests, which the Biden administration made available once more last week, have been ordered as well.
:pathetic:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

RIP to all the parents out there, my SIL is a 1st grade teacher. Been visibly sick for 3 days, tested negative every morning, then positive this afternoon.

Same thing happened to my brother, negatives until the 3 day of symptoms.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

RIP to all the parents out there, my SIL is a 1st grade teacher. Been visibly sick for 3 days, tested negative every morning, then positive this afternoon.

Same thing happened to my brother, negatives until the 3 day of symptoms.

That's what happened to us too, our tests loving suck

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NeonPunk posted:

i’m sure this is a big deal to other countries, but America is the big leagues baby, call me when it makes a dent against our deep bench of homegrown variants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

U-DO Burger posted:

That's what happened to us too, our tests loving suck

smh so much denigration of hard‐working scientists in the COVID thread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

This is good news, actually if you can get spike proteins through proximity. If any of you are in Los Angeles and recently boosted, I will pay you 20 bucks to sit next to me for an hour, $10 extra for skin contact, $10 extra if you are a woman

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what the gently caress is the us government good for if they can just ask domestic companies to pretty please do things??? kleptocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what the gently caress is the us government good for if they can just ask domestic companies to pretty please do things??? kleptocracy

The most powerful organization in human history is actually powerless in this matter.

Get back to work, citizen.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Sep 28, 2023