Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They need to make a Nobel Prize for Public Relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

They need to make a Nobel Prize for Public Relations.

It would be just as valid as the fake price in economics.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Poopin and Lavatov.

Lavatov and Poopin.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

idgi

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The United States military can be at combat ready strength in under twenty four hours anywhere on the planet. The Abrams is only a part of that deployment package.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Reminds me of stories from the Russian countryside during WW1. The collapse of state control and the high food prices meant that 1914-1918 was paradoxically one of the best times to be a Russian farmer.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

tango alpha delta posted:

The United States military can be at combat ready strength in under twenty four hours anywhere on the planet. The Abrams is only a part of that deployment package.

a combat team of the 82nd airborne can be, deploying and mobilizing the US forces for Iraq under Desert Shield took like 6 months which is still alarmingly quick but not 24 hours quick

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

a combat team of the 82nd airborne can be, deploying and mobilizing the US forces for Iraq under Desert Shield took like 6 months which is still alarmingly quick but not 24 hours quick

Some units can be on station within 24-48 hours, but nothing like an actual large unit deployment, and for certain not armored units. That's partially why we maintain bases overseas to make a quick reaction force possible without a lot of staging in an emergency.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vengarr posted:

Reminds me of stories from the Russian countryside during WW1. The collapse of state control and the high food prices meant that 1914-1918 was paradoxically one of the best times to be a Russian farmer.

there's that one rant that toshiro mifune's character has in Seven Samurai that i feel is one of the better illustrations of this for folks who are skeptical about the phenomenon. mifune's character, who is trying really, really hard to be a samurai even though he's some orphaned farmer from nowhere, detonates and rants to his noble-born compatriots that farmers have everything buried under the floor. rice, fruit, sake, meat, they've got it all under the floor! but they'll tell you, nope, sorry, all out the whole time!

of course, this screed comes out under the context that the farmers are robbed every month, if not from the literal bandits the samurai are fighting, then from the government who takes "their share" and gives nothing back.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A massive thread on all the western equipment that goes into manufacturing Russian weapons in one weapons plant.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Some units can be on station within 24-48 hours, but nothing like an actual large unit deployment, and for certain not armored units. That's partially why we maintain bases overseas to make a quick reaction force possible without a lot of staging in an emergency.
marine task forces are usually what people are talking about when they refer to these capabilities, marines deployed from carrier groups one thousand percent roll in with the whole kit and kaboodle - jets, choppers, armor, IFVs, the lot. however, under obama the number of these task forces were reduced. you might remember some of the kerfluffles that obama had with the joint chiefs in his first term until, suddenly, the JC shut the gently caress up after making some more characteristically terse statements about "strategic re-alignments", which was basically shorthand for "fewer marine mobile task forces and a shitload more drones".

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Puts

into better context.

If my history remembering is right at the time of the revolution huge swaths of the Russian empire were still basically medieval serfs. It's like the Mongol yoke set them back 200 years and they still haven't recovered.

I had a friend who did study abroad in rural Russia like 20 years ago and the thing the people she stayed with found incomprehensible was calling the police or really interacting with the government at all. They couldn't think of any reason to call the cops, if you did they might try to stop someone from breaking in or killing you or whatever but then the cops would demand all your poo poo to get them to leave.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

This kinda worries me what the same thing would find for Chinese parts in US weapons/systems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Puts

into better context.

If my history remembering is right at the time of the revolution huge swaths of the Russian empire were still basically medieval serfs. It's like the Mongol yoke set them back 200 years and they still haven't recovered.

I had a friend who did study abroad in rural Russia like 20 years ago and the thing the people she stayed with found incomprehensible was calling the police or really interacting with the government at all. They couldn't think of any reason to call the cops, if you did they might try to stop someone from breaking in or killing you or whatever but then the cops would demand all your poo poo to get them to leave.

Yeah, it just strikes me as horrifically depressing. Like I can wrap my head around abject poverty and famine and such, like with all the various civil wars in the African continent mixed with echos of imperialism, same with parts of south and Central America but this poo poo is madness to me. Like it’s fantasy novel poo poo. Half expecting geralt to ride up looking for work or a ducking unicorn or leshen to be in the woods. Like Jesus.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Coolguye posted:

there's that one rant that toshiro mifune's character has in Seven Samurai that i feel is one of the better illustrations of this for folks who are skeptical about the phenomenon. mifune's character, who is trying really, really hard to be a samurai even though he's some orphaned farmer from nowhere, detonates and rants to his noble-born compatriots that farmers have everything buried under the floor. rice, fruit, sake, meat, they've got it all under the floor! but they'll tell you, nope, sorry, all out the whole time!

of course, this screed comes out under the context that the farmers are robbed every month, if not from the literal bandits the samurai are fighting, then from the government who takes "their share" and gives nothing back.

And then sacrifcies himself to protect those very same farmers.

Truly a russian parable

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

It's one theory why they took so goddamn long.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

stab posted:

And then sacrifcies himself to protect those very same farmers.

Truly a russian parable

it's only missing baba yaga making a technically correct deal with mifune over becoming a respected samurai

he totally was, in the 10 seconds he was bleeding out on some shitsplatter farmer's doorstep

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Coolguye posted:

it's only missing baba yaga making a technically correct deal with mifune over becoming a respected samurai

he totally was, in the 10 seconds he was bleeding out on some shitsplatter farmer's doorstep

There's a reference to shitsplatter and Putin here surely

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

This kinda worries me what the same thing would find for Chinese parts in US weapons/systems.

I think the US has been careful to keep an entirely domestic supply chain for military equipment.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If you have shitsplattering diarrhea for more than three days its known as a special fecal operation or Putin on the blitz.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Pekinduck posted:

I think the US has been careful to keep an entirely domestic supply chain for military equipment.
Doesn't the F-35 have lots of parts made by a wide array of international partners, themselves holding a stake in the aircraft too?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sashimi posted:

Doesn't the F-35 have lots of parts made by a wide array of international partners, themselves holding a stake in the aircraft too?

not the same thing as you're quoting. the question is whether or not you have all the tooling you need at home to make these things, and, implicitly, whether you have tooling to make more tooling.

an army could source parts from 80 different countries and still have a fully domestic supply line.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the loving sun king was scared of coups.
Louis XIV didn't have any meaningful internal resistance during his reign.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

It's more a reference to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_reaction_force

"Anywhere in the world in 18 hours" is doable for a smaller force, and the U.S. can land combined arms within 72 hours. It's not an exaggeration, but a result of the "world police" level of influence, budget, and logistics. But expanding to a full combat presence does take some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWz_C8uNY2g

And the "Alright alright alright" is a reference to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuER2Puym4I

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1706709060349768127

quote:

The plywood marshall Shoygu, who barely managed to save his skin by fleeing Rostov just hours before Prigozhin's arrival, says that the Moscow regime is increasing its firepower to achieve set goals by 2025. What goals exactly, no one knows, but it doesn't matter - Shoygu's only purpose is to keep the Kremlin Ripper on the throne for as long as possible, and no Russian lives will be spared for this. Iron curtain 2.0 and permawar are the only way for P*tin to make up for the huge mistake of failing the invasion of a much stronger nation.

Vague goals are ideal in that they cannot be achieved - the widely promoted Kuypansk offensive and promises to take Kharkiv failed with occupier forces unable to move more than a few miles in some areas. Even the tankies stopped talking about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey, those are actually quite tasteful nice pieces of wood that guy collects instead of actually doing his job

its actually very much art piece money hes paying for em by embezzlement. it aint plywood

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I still find it mind blowing that a months built up, surprise-ish Russian attack against a half prepared Ukraine was unable to advance even the 30km required to even enter Kharkiv, let alone take it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

I've known the proverb since childhood, never realised that it doesn't exist or even have an equivalent in English!

Here in the great US of A we reserve hanging for the serious crimes like manufacturing your salsa picante in the wrong region.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Here in the great US of A we reserve hanging for the serious crimes like manufacturing your salsa picante in the wrong region.
Feeding the homeless is still my favorite crime in that "christian" nation.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Get those loaves and fishes over to Evidence, constable!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sure, the US is Satan, I get that, but there's also Mega Satan, Super Satan, Giga Satan and Hyper Satan to consider.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I can only consider one Satan at a time, sorry.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It gets really dicey when all the satans combine into one mecha satan

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sorry if I am butting in on anything horrific. I'm about 10 days behind.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I'm running Hyper Satan at the moment but I think it's a bit unstable, I might reduce the power limit a little.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Sorry if I am butting in on anything horrific. I'm about 10 days behind.

Boy, don't you look like a poor waif in their underwear right about now!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

Sure, the US is Satan, I get that, but there's also Mega Satan, Super Satan, Giga Satan and Hyper Satan to consider.

But have you considered that because US bad, then Russia good? And if Russia bad its fake news and false, its because US made them do bad things.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mistle posted:

It's more a reference to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_reaction_force

"Anywhere in the world in 18 hours" is doable for a smaller force, and the U.S. can land combined arms within 72 hours. It's not an exaggeration, but a result of the "world police" level of influence, budget, and logistics. But expanding to a full combat presence does take some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWz_C8uNY2g

And the "Alright alright alright" is a reference to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuER2Puym4I

Also a Marine Expeditionary Unit is only 2-4k people. Not necessarily an entire invasion force by itself, but enough for a beachhead or police actions. :lol: Of course these sail with carrier groups, which very much are an invasion force by themselves. Also MEUs dont all ship from the US a couple ship from Okinawa Also check out this map - 33k troops in Germany alone.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tarquinn posted:

I can only consider one Satan at a time, sorry.

Cover the others with Satan Wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

It gets really dicey when all the satans combine into one mecha satan

Ah, the dreaded Natas. Or, as we in the West call it; "NATO".*

*Javelin sold separately, inquire about joining today!