Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Not now Bird Flu, read the room jeez

https://twitter.com/outbreakupdates/status/1707147282980708589

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

just the flu bro

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sounds mild.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The most powerful organization in the human history is actually powerless in this matter.

Get back to work, citizen.

but then logically that means the government must be run by the corporations but that can't possibly be true! oh wait

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Majorian posted:

Folks, I have some bad news for you...

https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1706824476631933044

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Just noticing the "r" in her name

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope they name the pan-coronavirus vaccine Naomir.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		COUP	Sep-22	STEADY	Coupeville
Island		OH	Sep-22	UP	Oak Harbor
Jefferson	PT	Sep-20	UP	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Sep-12	n/a	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Sep-21	DOWN	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Sep-12	n/a	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Sep-12	n/a	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Sep-12	n/a	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Sep-13	n/a	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Sep-13	n/a	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Sep-12	n/a	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Sep-12	n/a	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Sep-13	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Sep-13	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Sep-13	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-22	STEADY	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Sep-21	UP	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Sep-20	UP	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	n/a	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Sep-21	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Sep-21	UP	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Sep-20	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Sep-21	STEADY	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Sep-21	DOWN	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Sep-21	DOWN	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-22	STEADY	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-22	DOWN	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-22	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Sep-21	DOWN	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-15	DOWN	Pullman

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

we need a bird flu toot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/health/2023/09/27/the-star039s-health-journalist-relates-her-long-hard-battle-against-long-covid

quite a headline

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got my jab last year on 9/24.

They haven't sent a single email about this year's vaccination for flu or COVID yet. This is a major healthcare system that's ranked very high nationally lmao.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I'll be honest with you guys, with 2 million having been vaccinated so far, I am not sure Pfizer's target of 24% is going to be reached.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

call_of_qthulhu posted:

we need a bird flu toot

:stoked: is pretty close.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Winter allergies, summer colds

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Not now Bird Flu, read the room jeez

Tag team epidemics are the new hotness

WHO posted:

Suspected triple outbreak of typhoid fever, shigellosis and cholera - Congo

The Ministry of Health and Population (Ministčre de la Santé et de la Population - MSP) of the Republic of the Congo, declared on 17 July 2023 a suspected triple outbreak of gastroenteritis, with typhoid fever, shigellosis, and cholera as probable causes.

Since the first case was reported on 28 June 2023, and as of 29 August 2023, a total of 2389 suspected cases have been reported, including 52 deaths (overall Case Fatality Rate (CFR) 2.2%).

Laboratory analyses performed by the National Public Health Laboratory, identified 83 cases of Shigella, 22 of Salmonella Typhi (S. Typhi) and 21 cases of Vibrio cholerae with toxigenicity testing of the strain not performed.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2023-DON488

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Love to live in this GameMaster Anthony’s birthday-rear end Pandemicene

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It’s normal to have nebulous allergies 24/7 and if you don’t experience that maybe you need to touch grass!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
coworker today legitimately blamed his dry cough on "all this beef stew I've been eating".

OK MAN

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Sep 28, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe he has an alpha-gal allergy but just can't help himself

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

coworker today legitimately blamed his dry cough on "all this beef stew I've been eating".

OK MAN

I had to go vegetarian because of the beef cough

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

OK MAN

I mean if it was real spicy beef stew and one of those small red pepper slices hit the back of his throat just right prior to telling you this then it all checks out

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Got my aptitude metrix direct order today, mine are all 2024-04-21 expiration dates. The reader unit has no expiration date as a side note. Not planning to test yet as no reason to and I'm not made of money so nothing to report there.

I also got mine today with the same expiration date. However, I did use it and have a bit more to report.

This test has two ways to collect the sample. You can either choose to do the traditional nasal swab, or you can spit directly into the plastic testing cartridge. The design is a little unique but very intuitive. I've spilled Lucira test liquid and hosed up prewarming the Cue cartridge, but there's nothing similar here that could trip up someone who isn't paying attention.

So I tried the spit method. The plastic cartridge has a max fill line for the liquid, and the instructions specifically say to ignore the 'foam' of the spit. And idk this is pretty gross and maybe because I am a goon, but my spit is pretty drat foamy. Mostly foam. And just like pouring a tall glass of soda pop from a bottle that has just been shaken up and the entire glass has filled with foam, it's hard to judge where the liquid level will subside to after the foam has settled. So that test came back invalid, and that's my best guess as to why. I hadn't eaten or drank anything recently, which can also cause problems.

The test kit mentions the spit method is a bit less accurate, so I think its mostly there for little kids and the swab averse. I tried the nasal swab afterwards, partially to make sure that my tester wasn't just returning invalids every time. That worked very well - overall this is my favorite lamp test kit. 30 bux per test is a better price than it could be but still unwieldy for regular surveillance testing. But for occasional small gatherings, accidental exposures, and flu/cold symptoms, I'll really appreciate having it around.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Anyone got some cute animal pics or heartwarming story about touching grass recently? Feeling a little down about the world and I could use a dose of :unsmith: from doomer pals that understand this specific kind of enui.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was at a party last week and a really hot lesbian who should know I like her invited me to come with her to check out plants and scented candles that the host was giving away.

I think that means we’re engaged now, idk I’m still new to this.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
not a cute pic but I saw the biggest fuckin wheelbug I've ever seen today, he was large enough such that when he was awkwardly flitting around I saw him from across the yard and was like "what the gently caress is that"

and buddy, I've seen a shitload of wheelbugs

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I think that means we’re engaged now, idk I’m still new to this.

you're right that's the rules, maybe rent a U-Haul just to be on the safe side

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

You guys are so fast and on it. Seriously the best.

Plz invite me and my +1 will mask at ur wedding :p

Clearly that wheelbug is a survivor. I take heart in this :black101:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah, he spun around and bowed up immediately which is why I don't have a much better pic, I was NOT gonna gently caress with him

Do not get bitten by any reduviid, imho, once was enough for a lifetime for me

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zantie posted:

Anyone got some cute animal pics or heartwarming story about touching grass recently? Feeling a little down about the world and I could use a dose of :unsmith: from doomer pals that understand this specific kind of enui.

I am currently fostering 2 kittens and I'm just over the moon about it. - This is what ive been doing during my probation really. Signing up and doing all the paperwork to take care of kitties before they can go to forever homes.
They are both 17 weeks old right now. They had a little upper respiratory infection so im taking care of them a little longer before they can be adopted out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

These guinea pigs from pet island are kind of cute.

https://i.imgur.com/iFfrcZb.mp4

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Eeee :kimchi:

I could never foster cats, I'd just end up adopting every one of them, thank you for helping out!!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

I have someone coming over on Friday and my test is coming tomorrow so ill trip report on Friday.

My husband needs to test after isolating post business trip and they agreed to send me a replacement cart for the one that purple light of death’d two day fed ex. They do not seem very confident of the spit portion of their test and encourage nasal swabbing. I am nothing if not stubborn tho.

In related news, that site for Betadine was quick and legit.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I am currently fostering 2 kittens and I'm just over the moon about it. - This is what ive been doing during my probation really. Signing up and doing all the paperwork to take care of kitties before they can go to forever homes.
They are both 17 weeks old right now. They had a little upper respiratory infection so im taking care of them a little longer before they can be adopted out.

seriously you're an angel

Platystemon posted:

These guinea pigs from pet island are kind of cute.

:love:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I like the Cue testing system a lot but damned if Lucira wasn't easier for group testing, even if it did get me pozzed last time with a false negative.

I can't mail my Cue reader and tests to family before they come visit. This is strictly an early warning device for my immediate family.

**edit - Oh hell yeah, looks like Lucira is coming back: https://www.lucirapfizer.com/

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

**edit - Oh hell yeah, looks like Lucira is coming back: https://www.lucirapfizer.com/

The ‘for your practice’ tagline there is not giving me warm fuzzies. Pretty sure they don’t mean football practice, they’re marketing to doctors offices.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/ic_activitylog/status/1707231326154199420?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I like the Cue testing system a lot but damned if Lucira wasn't easier for group testing, even if it did get me pozzed last time with a false negative.

I can't mail my Cue reader and tests to family before they come visit. This is strictly an early warning device for my immediate family.

Oracle posted:

The ‘for your practice’ tagline there is not giving me warm fuzzies. Pretty sure they don’t mean football practice, they’re marketing to doctors offices.

eyup

quote:

The LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Test is authorized for the simultaneous qualitative detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2, Influenza A, and Influenza B viral RNA in anterior nasal swab specimens collected from individuals (2 years of age or older) who are suspected of respiratory viral infection consistent with COVID-19 by their healthcare provider. Emergency use of this test is limited to authorized laboratories. Testing is limited to laboratories certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA), 42 U.S.C. §263a, that meet requirements to perform high, moderate, or waived complexity tests. This test is authorized for use at the Point of Care (POC), i.e., in patient care settings operating under a CLIA Certificate of Waiver, Certificate of Compliance, or Certificate of Accreditation.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
This branding seems to hint that they're planning on a home test as well:

https://www.fda.gov/media/165690/download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Zantie posted:

I forget if I posted him already, but my parents rescued this gentle boy right before the deadline back in the summer and now he has the absolute best life.