Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder if one of the writers for Bojack Horseman was asexual, considering how deftly that was handled with Todd and his partners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Aces High posted:

I wonder if one of the writers for Bojack Horseman was asexual, considering how deftly that was handled with Todd and his partners

Apparently the creative team brought in a consultant when they realised they wanted to be explicit about Todd's asexuality, to make sure they wouldn't gently caress up too bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah the Todd asexuality plot was uncommonly stark. Can't speak to the accuracy but, it felt like they had at least one person in the room who really really gave a gently caress about doing it well.

Aramek posted:

Also how were any of the characters in Fight Club failed men? They all had, like, jobs and stuff. They should just stop feeling unfulfilled.

Oh fuckin boo hoo, you have ennui because you work in a bank or whatever, go play videogames and watch cartoons you whiny sack of poo poo.

Toxic masculinity does that to a motherfucker, and the pervasive/encapsulating nature of toxic male norms is a huge theme in every scene. That's why the first place Ed Norton's guy goes to feel superior/secure in his own masculinity is a support group for literal castrati.

Ironically of the quadrilogy of late 90s "White Man unhappy with excellent life" -- Fight Club, American Beauty, The Office, and The Matrix -- I find Neo's dissatisfaction to be some of the more contemptible. Cast aside the fact that he can probably just 'sense' that his universe is off by virtue of being The One for a minute, and you see a dude working a droning job but he's clearly got a solid paycheck in a hip area with a cool apartment and connections to a social life that seems to want/accept him. Like oh no poor baby, does it feel like treading water going to that office and working to save? Must be something wrong with everyone.

Sure Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is much more reprehensible-- most of his midlife crisis is spurned by his desire to gently caress a high schooler-- but it's also easier to understand why he breaks even if he's a sack of human garbage before, during, and after.

Office Space is just kind-of neutral. Dude coasted into a cushy white collar gig and didn't realize he was better suited to other work. Not terribly sympathetic but not exactly an ungrateful jerk, just kind-of dim.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the original ending to Office Space where the construction site boss comes up to them and says the exact same line as the office boss.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

yeah the Todd asexuality plot was uncommonly stark. Can't speak to the accuracy but, it felt like they had at least one person in the room who really really gave a gently caress about doing it well.

Toxic masculinity does that to a motherfucker, and the pervasive/encapsulating nature of toxic male norms is a huge theme in every scene. That's why the first place Ed Norton's guy goes to feel superior/secure in his own masculinity is a support group for literal castrati.

Ironically of the quadrilogy of late 90s "White Man unhappy with excellent life" -- Fight Club, American Beauty, The Office, and The Matrix -- I find Neo's dissatisfaction to be some of the more contemptible. Cast aside the fact that he can probably just 'sense' that his universe is off by virtue of being The One for a minute, and you see a dude working a droning job but he's clearly got a solid paycheck in a hip area with a cool apartment and connections to a social life that seems to want/accept him. Like oh no poor baby, does it feel like treading water going to that office and working to save? Must be something wrong with everyone.

Sure Kevin Spacey in American Beauty is much more reprehensible-- most of his midlife crisis is spurned by his desire to gently caress a high schooler-- but it's also easier to understand why he breaks even if he's a sack of human garbage before, during, and after.

Office Space is just kind-of neutral. Dude coasted into a cushy white collar gig and didn't realize he was better suited to other work. Not terribly sympathetic but not exactly an ungrateful jerk, just kind-of dim.

okay i know we're all goons here but is this your standard for a "cool apartment"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That would cost $9000 dollars per month to rent today.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

That would cost $9000 dollars per month to rent today.

in Adelaide, Australia or wherever the gently caress they filmed the Matrix????

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alaois posted:

okay i know we're all goons here but is this your standard for a "cool apartment"

"Cool apartment" translates to "even the cockroaches are smoking crack"

Asterite34 has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Sep 28, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

INT. NEO'S APARTMENT 12
It is a studio apartment that seems overgrown with
technology.
Weed-like cables coil everywhere, duct-taped into
thickets that wind up and around the legs of several
desks. Tabletops are filled with cannibalized equipment
that lay open like an autopsied corpse.
At the center of this technological rat-nest is NEO, a
man who knows more about living inside a computer than
outside one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Neo is also living the exact same year ad infinitum with fake memories to stop him from noticing. Seems like the most justified angst of the four to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neo is right to notice that he’s part of an evil machine that is definitely more literal but only slightly less evil than the actual machines controlling the real world, of which Warner Bros is one.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Will Smith turned down Neo to be in Wild Wild West, so I'm not sure if Neo falls into the category except by default because the actor that ended up accepting the role was white.

Interestingly enough, Wikipedia says that Sandra Bullock was offered the role for Trinity and Neo, and they would've rewritten the role if she'd said yes to Neo. I wonder what the alternate universe looks like where Neo and Trinity are both female

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

Will Smith turned down Neo to be in Wild Wild West, so I'm not sure if Neo falls into the category except by default because the actor that ended up accepting the role was white.

Interestingly enough, Wikipedia says that Sandra Bullock was offered the role for Trinity and Neo, and they would've rewritten the role if she'd said yes to Neo. I wonder what the alternate universe looks like where Neo and Trinity are both female

It totally alters this legendary athlete tweet
https://twitter.com/roddywhiteTV/status/59456714851885056?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alaois posted:

Sydney, and absolutely yes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, filling his house with retro-future techno-junk is a choice. That apartment could be pretty slick with better use of space. It's not like he needs all that for his day job, it's for the hacking he does for kicks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Apparently the creative team brought in a consultant when they realised they wanted to be explicit about Todd's asexuality, to make sure they wouldn't gently caress up too bad.

Hilariously they already HAD hosed up: the character Raphael Bob-Waxberg made asexual was Todd, the lazy manchild character, therefor falling straight into stereotypes. In fairness, Bob-Waxberg admitted he hosed up in a Reddit AMA:

Raphael Bob-Waxberg posted:

This is such a cheesy "I am a writer" answer but the truth is it felt like Todd told us he was asexual more than we made him asexual. Going into season three, I knew I wanted to take Todd to some more serious places and this felt like a good area to explore. Looking back, part of what was "telling me" Todd was asexual was my own preconceived notions of what an asexual person acts like, some of which was based on harmful stereotypes.

Once we realized this was the story we were telling, we wanted to make sure we were telling it in a responsible way, so we brought in a consultant at the beginning of season four to talk about her experience with asexuality and asexual representation. One thing I asked was "What are you tired of seeing in stories about aces?" and she said, "That all aces are innocent and childlike and irresponsible, or that we're robots." And I thought, "Uh oh... Well, at least he's not a robot..."

After that conversation, I felt it was important to show Todd interacting with other asexual characters and not be the sole (while still being the main) representation of asexuality on our show. We also wanted to make sure Todd could still be Todd and be involved in stories that had nothing to do with his asexuality.

Funnily enough, a lot of people thought Judah, the robot like hyper professional assistant character was asexual as well. I can't help but think him suddenly hooking up with his former boss at the last minute was Waxberg trying to not fall into the "robot" stereotype. While giving Todd a new asexual love interest played by an asexual actor...who is as much of a goofy manchild as he is.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Sep 28, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Keanu Reeves is not a white guy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alaois posted:

Yeah, the Sydney real estate market is one of the harshest on the planet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Matrix has another layer to it because it posits that the so-called comfortable office job is also illusory, a constructed mirage that requires the enslavement and exploitation of billions of people to operate. Neo is malcontent not because he wants to gently caress his daughter's best friend or whatever, but because he correctly intuits that the world as he knows it is also unsustainable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Matrix is also explicitly a simulation of what the machines consider the "peak of [human] civilisation" before they took over.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Matrix is also explicitly a simulation of what the machines consider the "peak of [human] civilisation" before they took over.

Do you think they just kept doing the "mid-90's" for every version of the Matrix, or do you think they tried out different time periods?

"Well, everyone just hosed themselves to death in the Roman orgypits, we can delete that one off the list. They like to suffer, right? What about 1300's Europe? How much actual suffering could they get up to there?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Randalor posted:

Do you think they just kept doing the "mid-90's" for every version of the Matrix, or do you think they tried out different time periods?

"Well, everyone just hosed themselves to death in the Roman orgypits, we can delete that one off the list. They like to suffer, right? What about 1300's Europe? How much actual suffering could they get up to there?"

Wasn't there a part where the Architect or whoever is doing exposition at Neo and mentions that the machines tried giving the humans a utopian simulation, but it kept crashing because apparently humans just can't go without some sort of conflict?
Like, it was supposed to be an allegory for the garden of Eden?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

the_steve posted:

Wasn't there a part where the Architect or whoever is doing exposition at Neo and mentions that the machines tried giving the humans a utopian simulation, but it kept crashing because apparently humans just can't go without some sort of conflict?

Something about how we go psycho if we're given a literal paradise, so they instead gave us the mid-90's so we have something to work against? Yeah. And it made for a fantastic movie. I'm just wondering if they went "Paradise->1990's" or if they tried a few other time periods first.

How does the simulation handle things like accidental death anyways? Would you just wake up in your bed the next morning thinking you had a vivid dream, or would the machines go "Ah gently caress, pod 87485 slipped on a patch of ice and broke their neck. Flush the pod, we'll get it cleaned and ready for the next baby"?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

the_steve posted:

One thing that gets kind of buried underneath all the loredumps in The Matrix Reloaded is that at some point the machines created a vampire and werewolf dimension for the humans to live in.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Listen, if 99% of your information on what humanity wants comes from the internet, you would think that humanity wants a furry dimension too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randalor posted:

Something about how we go psycho if we're given a literal paradise, so they instead gave us the mid-90's so we have something to work against? Yeah. And it made for a fantastic movie. I'm just wondering if they went "Paradise->1990's" or if they tried a few other time periods first.

How does the simulation handle things like accidental death anyways? Would you just wake up in your bed the next morning thinking you had a vivid dream, or would the machines go "Ah gently caress, pod 87485 slipped on a patch of ice and broke their neck. Flush the pod, we'll get it cleaned and ready for the next baby"?

They would be dead since injuries in the Matrix happen to the body in the real world. Which doesn't really make sense but kind of has to happen to have any stakes in the fight scenes. same with the whole having to find a physical exit to jack out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

They would be dead since injuries in the Matrix happen to the body in the real world. Which doesn't really make sense but kind of has to happen to have any stakes in the fight scenes. same with the whole having to find a physical exit to jack out.

Well you can't just jack off anywhere, you gotta find a phone booth or something, it's basic etiquette

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tenebrais posted:

Well you can't just jack off anywhere, you gotta find a phone booth or something, it's basic etiquette

We're still talking about the Matrix here?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

I think it wasn't so much that humans need conflict, and more that a utopian paradise was so unrealistic that people instinctively knew it was a simulation, a dream they kept trying to "wake up" from.

Nobody would think that a malevolent Cartesian demiurge would trap them in a simulacrum of a mundane, boringly awful world not that different from the real one (post-apocalypse aside)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Caligula was the third emperor.

If Trump is Caligula we have four more centuries of America. Which I think is overly optimistic.

or 1400 years if forums user Byzantine is reading this post

Trump is more like Honorius.

E: and don't believe scandalous stories about Roman emperors, many of them were made up by political enemies or associates of the guys who couped them.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Sep 28, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I do like that they chose 'the exact moment before humans made us and everything went to poo poo' as their reference point. There's some hubris in choosing a time period that is on the edge of collapse.

Also, I think they said that the machines couldn't figure out the paradise without it feeling artificial and making people reject it rather than some natural 'humans gotta suffer'.

It also does make some sense because the machines would have the most data about a post-internet humanity. AI can only recreate what it's been trained on after all.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
If you're doing an essentially unchanging simulation of reality, it makes perfect sense to pick the time period that people themselves dubbed the end of history,no?

Also, machines in the Matrix are actually perfectly benevolent. They're the only reason there still is any humanity left after all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mind the walrus posted:

Ironically of the quadrilogy of late 90s "White Man unhappy with excellent life" -- Fight Club, American Beauty, The Office, and The Matrix -- I find Neo's dissatisfaction to be some of the more contemptible. Cast aside the fact that he can probably just 'sense' that his universe is off by virtue of being transgender for a minute, and you see a dude working a droning job but he's clearly got a solid paycheck in a hip area with a cool apartment and connections to a social life that seems to want/accept him. Like oh no poor baby, does it feel like treading water going to that office and working to save? Must be something wrong with everyone.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Woolie Wool posted:

E: and don't believe scandalous stories about Roman emperors, many of them were made up by political enemies or associates of the guys who couped them.

"According to contemporary sources ancient American Emperor Barracka Sotoro Hussein Osama was a foreign usurper who overthrew the reigning warlord BusHitler and proceeded to ban all weaponary and institute a brutal program of mandatory healthcare. In his private life he indulged in his two favorite vices of tobacco and male prostitutes"
-Historians in 4057 or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

"According to contemporary sources ancient American Emperor Barracka Sotoro Hussein Osama was a foreign usurper who overthrew the reigning warlord BusHitler and proceeded to ban all weaponary and institute a brutal program of mandatory healthcare. In his private life he indulged in his two favorite vices of tobacco and male prostitutes"

Future-HBO's version of Rome will unironically feature a scene that's literally that one SA post about Emperor Obama with his crown of fetus-ivory and breakdancing bodyguards and Mexican Muslim enforcers and poo poo

e: for reference:

quote:

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender. "You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as that."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satelite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have... a conversation."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

more like the historians would just uncritically repeat pizzagate verbatim, the primary source Forchaen said it, would he lie to us?

E: there is evidence that the Roman proletarii liked Nero and underground hero cults around him sprung up after his death, some of them prophesying his eventual return to destroy the senate and equites once and for all

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Sep 28, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fish of hemp posted:

Who knew capitalism is spiritually empty?

Yeah I think once you get passed the end of history stuff and look past Tyler’s bullshit there’s a core criticism of capitalism that holds up

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

well why not posted:

quote:

INT. NEO'S APARTMENT 12
It is a studio apartment that seems overgrown with
technology.
Weed-like cables coil everywhere, duct-taped into
thickets that wind up and around the legs of several
desks. Tabletops are filled with cannibalized equipment
that lay open like an autopsied corpse.
At the center of this technological rat-nest is NEO, a
man who knows more about living inside a computer than
outside one.

What we’ve learned here is that Neo is bad at cable management.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

christmas boots posted:

Yeah I think once you get passed the end of history stuff and look past Tyler’s bullshit there’s a core criticism of capitalism that holds up

He does the same thing that any good cult leader does; He starts off small, eases you in with stuff that DOES make sense and is plausible to believe, and then works you up to the batshit portions of the ideology while still centered around that sensible core.

There are many a number of points between "you are unsatisfied with your life and want an outlet for your frustration" and "that's why we should blow up all the credit card buildings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's the misspelling of "past" that really sells that post :allears: