Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Maed posted:

very pretty but hypoallergenic cats aren't real, sorry for your friend's noses

Me, at your anti-hypoallergenic-cat posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Just had a Teams meeting (safely) with a woman who couldn't stop coughing. She said she had a cold and some body aches but was hoping to be able to make it to a wedding on Saturday so she could "dance all night long" :thumbsup:

lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

the school year is 10 months

magic

(it’s usually exactly 180 days )

Yeah okay, that make sense to me. I mean if you just only look at the numbers, missing just 10% of the school year is not really a high priority

But to me that's being out of school for almost a full month! Like jesus that's a extremely long time to be sick enough to get out of school

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DominoKitten posted:

Closing the barn doors

That's a lockdown :mad:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

not a cute pic but I saw the biggest fuckin wheelbug I've ever seen today, he was large enough such that when he was awkwardly flitting around I saw him from across the yard and was like "what the gently caress is that"

and buddy, I've seen a shitload of wheelbugs

that a beaut!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

dew worm posted:

Mom has covid...doctor gave her Lagevrio? How does that compare to pax?

we have the tools? Lagevrio is molnupiravir. That name might be more familiar

molnupiravir is also the antiviral that is currently being more widely accused of fostering resistant strains

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Sep 28, 2023

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

euphronius posted:

the school year is 10 months

magic

(it’s usually exactly 180 days )

i assume this is going to end summer vacation in america. we're going to need schools running year-round to patch together something we can pretend is okay.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

Closing the barn doors after all the horses have left: “barn doors don’t work, why do we even bother with this”

This is "fixing the barn doors shut with glue made from the escaped horses"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
honestly summer vacation sucks for actually planning poo poo. just give us regular intervals of time off.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Insanite posted:

i assume this is going to end summer vacation in america. we're going to need schools running year-round to patch together something we can pretend is okay.

lol no way, that would cost money

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Just had a Teams meeting (safely) with a woman who couldn't stop coughing. She said she had a cold and some body aches but was hoping to be able to make it to a wedding on Saturday so she could "dance all night long" :thumbsup:

At this point it is very reasonable to assume that any large gathering has at least one contagious person present. So it's just a question of if you're gonna mask up and not have to worry much about it (if you go at all) or just roll the dice and hope you don't happen to walk in to their miasma cloud.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Everyone is my office basically got covid this week/last week. Back to in office masks which is good but also lol way to wait for over 50% of the office to be out sick

My wife's team is doing their big biyearly meeting / lunch. Everyone is sick. They're all crammed into a conference room anyway. lmao

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol no way, that would cost money

well, you've got to pair that with massive charter school expansion to replace expensive, qualified, union teaching labor with some combo of babysitters and garbage AI-based lesson planning and homework evaluation software.

(lol: https://timesofsandiego.com/opinion/2023/05/27/ai-can-help-educate-our-kids-but-it-may-also-replace-teachers/)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Insanite posted:

everyone gets one week on where they're healthy, then one week off to sleep off the infection from the in-person week. repeat 26 times.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That thing my wife and I had was probably not Covid despite my kid having had it recently. The cough got better so I tried a 175bpm cycling effort and felt great. Started the pax I got anyway though because im low on weed and need to make it count. Man they weren’t kidding this stuff mixes great with dabs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

is your question "if i have a symptomatic rebound but i'm not turning the test strips red, am i contagious?" then the answer is maybe probably

No, I was just curious if the rebound was a full fledged infection, especially since the CDC gives that five (to ten) days after symptoms rule for going back into society

I mean obviously common sense dictates it is, but I wondered if there were any studies done on spread during it

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Sep 28, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Loucks posted:

Man they weren’t kidding this stuff mixes great with dabs.

tell me more

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

honestly summer vacation sucks for actually planning poo poo. just give us regular intervals of time off.

Yeah that's what we do here in Australia, the school year is broken into 4 semesters with breaks of around 3 to 4 weeks between them. Also the school year coincides with the calendar year (late Jan to mid Dec), not the financial year.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/DurhamHealthNC/status/1707130759444636058

public health in america fully in the 'deep collective sigh' phase of decay

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, I was just curious if the rebound was a full fledged infection, especially since the CDC gives that five (to ten) days after symptoms rule for going back into society

I mean obviously common sense dictates it is, but I wondered if there were any studies done on spread during it

There was a RAT/culturable virus agreement study that wasn't about rebound specifically but did include some patients who had a rebound-like course of infection

And they were shedding culturable virus

Also, even Francois Balloux is taking a poo poo on the Vinay Prasad denmark study lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What's the alternative to rebounds being a covid infection?

Anyway I looked up "why 5 days" the other day and found this:

quote:

COVID-19 Rebound after Taking Paxlovid Likely Due to Insufficient Drug Exposure

Paxlovid rebound patient did not show drug resistance or impaired immunity; UC San Diego study suggests insufficient drug exposure was most likely cause.
They first isolated the SARS-CoV-2 BA.2 virus from a COVID-19 rebound patient and tested whether it had developed any drug resistance. They found that after Paxlovid treatment, the virus was still sensitive to the drug and showed no relevant mutations that would reduce the drug’s effectiveness.
The authors said the rebound of COVID-19 symptoms following the end of Paxlovid treatment is likely due to insufficient drug exposure: not enough of the drug was getting to infected cells to stop all viral replication. They suggested this may be due to the drug being metabolized more quickly in some individuals or that the drug needs to be delivered over a longer treatment duration.

In the future, Carlin said he hopes physicians will be able to test whether patients require a longer duration of Paxlovid treatment or if they might be best treated by a combination of drugs. In the meantime, Paxlovid users should be aware of the possibility of symptom rebound, and be prepared to wear masks and quarantine again if symptoms return.

Looking forward to that future any time now (that press release is 15 months old). Anyway that study was just one person but I think the conclusions haven't changed since.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Insanite posted:

there is 0% chance school districts could afford that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd call it an infection, but at that point your body *should* have caught up in its antibody production, and *should* squash the bug like it would a regular virus that it has seen before and is ready for.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

euphronius posted:

there is 0% chance school districts could afford that

i had always thought ending summer break was the only solution to this mess, i did not even consider that it would represent a 20% or so increase in all labor costs for every school district in the country lol, youd need a massive federal injection of funds to help with that transition so good luck with that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seattle Public Schools has a $130m budget shortfall and they're just going to close a bunch of schools as a response.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Insanite posted:

quote:

the Vaccines:
We see you've requested a reasonable amount to give the community. How about no.

lmfao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
DCDPH Team Member: reveal yourself

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Insanite posted:

Hard to believe this isn't an Onion bit. Had to check to make sure it was official.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/coviddatareport/status/1707443774538780803?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

It’s really nice of politicians to submit themselves to being test subjects for constant infection.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

eXXon posted:

What's the alternative to rebounds being a covid infection?

Anyway I looked up "why 5 days" the other day and found this:

Looking forward to that future any time now (that press release is 15 months old). Anyway that study was just one person but I think the conclusions haven't changed since.

I did 10 days and was symptomatic again on day 9 and tested positive day 10. Throughout the entire 10 day course I felt great and had no issues and my 3-4 days of a runny nose has left me with various aches 2 weeks later.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Covid goes after so many tissues and tissue types I am not surprised that it's difficult to get the drug absolutely saturated throughout your body

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Speaking of the spectacular mess of a rollout, the guy who was COO for the initial government paid for and organized vaccine rollout went and spoke about it at a summit sponsored by Palantir and Your Local Epidemiologist got them to make the recording of it public.

Basically guy was career military (Gen. Gus Perma 4 star commanding general of US Army materiel command and a shitton of other logistics poo poo over the course of his career) who had eat breathed and poo poo getting stuff where it needed to be when it needed to be there on a massive scale for the past 25 years prior to the pandemic. Thank god his name wasn’t something like Ralph Thimbledick or Trump never would’ve okayed him. He retired in 2021 and gave an interview to Politico in 2022.

politico posted:

Consider that Perna, along with a team of about 100 people drawn mostly from the Defense Department and the Department of Health and Human Services, managed ultimately to set up a network of 70,000 sites across 64 jurisdictions around the country and get millions of doses of safe and effective vaccines to them — without knowing ahead of time which vaccines would be authorized and when, or, as it happened, how many doses would actually be available. As he publicly acknowledged, initial targets fell short, but deliveries scaled up rapidly, to the point that 100 million doses had been administered across the country by mid-March 2021, and by the time Perna retired in July, the Biden administration had just barely missed its goal to get at least a first dose to 70 percent of American adults.

quote:

Gilsinan: I don’t know if this is different from what you would deal with in a battlefield context, but you have numbers moving around all over the place as to how many vaccine doses are even going to be available at certain times. How do you plan against that kind of uncertainty?

Perna: The great team that I had working with me — hand-selected people with talents in acquisition, contracting, supply chain, ERPs [Enterprise Resource Planning], communications — we were all focused on the delivery and distribution of the vaccine. That was our primary effort. It expanded from there. We had to do a lot of work to help expand manufacturing, to help sustain the supply chain. We implemented 19 Defense Production Acts — for minerals, for materials, for consumables, for equipment. Our real success was we took this flat organization of less than 100 people, and we partnered with industry: McKesson Trucking, UPS, FedEx, Pfizer. And we collaborated and developed a distribution plan that allowed us to execute under certain tenets.

One, we were going to deliver vaccine across the United States simultaneously to everybody allowed [subject to] the amount of vaccine that was available. So we went all the way to the Pacific Territories, Alaska, Puerto Rico. We were over in Europe, delivering to U.S. bases, South Korea. Anywhere there was U.S. personnel, we developed a system that allowed us to deliver vaccines.
We were constrained with the amount of vaccine that was coming off the conveyor belt at a time. We understood this. We knew that on the day that we had EUA (Emergency Use Authorization)we were only going to have a certain amount of doses. We developed a formula based on population, which allowed us to discern a percentage of that vaccine which would be delivered. Every week after the first week that number went up.

But the system we set up was based on the foundation and the collaboration of local and federal government and industry. We did this, really, with almost perfection. Never been done before. We opened up over 70,000 locations across the country that could receive and administer vaccine. We had to create data-use agreements with the states in order to put an ERP in place to track the vaccine. Then we had to validate the 70,000 locations through the CDC, so that they could receive it and administer it. Because our goal was, we wanted people to have access in places they were comfortable being: a local doctor’s office, a hospital, CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart.

Anyway go read the article or watch the video, it’s crazy the amount of coordination and planning that went into the Warp Speed rollout, and helps you realize how private industry was only ever going to screw it up.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Gus PermaPan

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I have to say, it's absolutely wild watching people completely ignore this wave. Not even a performative cloth mask or "get boosted" from liberals on social media, just endless restaurants and airplanes and concerts.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I have to say, it's absolutely wild watching people completely ignore this wave. Not even a performative cloth mask or "get boosted" from liberals on social media, just endless restaurants and airplanes and concerts.

It's over

I went to the store yesterday and the lady behind the counter was obviously sick as gently caress and nobody else seemed to notice or care. good stuff!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

COVID is over. Was over as early as election day 2020. Only the deranged and demented think otherwise.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
A recent cancer survivor I know who just got COVID a couple weeks ago from traveling is currently eating inside of an airport. This poo poo is never going to register as normal to me.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A recent cancer survivor I know who just got COVID a couple weeks ago from traveling is currently eating inside of an airport. This poo poo is never going to register as normal to me.

The science says it is over. Credentialed and experienced doctors say it is over. Established media says it is over. Government figures say it is over. Nonpartisan health institutions say it is over. People in your social circles will probably say it is over.

Believing COVID is A Thing at this point is prima facie evidence of severe mental illness.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Just love that people can agree that covid is over while they simultaneously post about testing positive for covid. The ol "it's over but it's also going to be here forever, so get over it" kind of over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the "covid" in "covid is over" is a stand-in for "any attempt to control or mitigate the spread of covid"