Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

The_Rob posted:

It’s going to be so funny to see them try and give him the loose cannon gimmick to a guy who has no charisma in a PG environment. Is he gonna tell the NXT universe that he’s gonna take his dick out and piss on them?

I respect you, Booker T!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beepie wants a bro-oche

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tampa Bae posted:

still think it's hilarious that WWE tried to kill Japan off like they did the UK scene and not only were they told to go home, a lot of companies started to absorb each other just so there was no chance of it happening

You think it's funny, but Kaito was well booked before the Cyberfight purchase of NOAH :(

I remember at the time there was a rumour that WWE were even considering buying Big Japan, because they had a track record of training very good wrestlers. I was kind of fascinated to see how that wouldn't work, considering the miniscule crossover in interest between the Japanese WWE fan and the Big Japan fan, a small company mostly known (slightly unfairly, Strong division is rad) for their deathmatches.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seams posted:

Beepie has a super-soaker!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJhAyoF9-I

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gumball Gumption posted:

When they had Dark and Elevation the AEW women were getting more match time but WWE is likely beating them out now. Both could use to give them more time.

How was Dark/Elevation even helpful? Because it just seemed like it wasn't for talent to get reps in, it was to just fill time before Dynamite as people entered the building. Everything was 3 minute matches against local talent, and always seemed like it served the purpose of letting people not on Dynamite pop the crowd by hitting their theme music and getting their finisher in within a few minutes, all rapid fire

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Astro7x posted:

How was Dark/Elevation even helpful? Because it just seemed like it wasn't for talent to get reps in, it was to just fill time before Dynamite as people entered the building. Everything was 3 minute matches against local talent, and always seemed like it served the purpose of letting people not on Dynamite pop the crowd by hitting their theme music and getting their finisher in within a few minutes, all rapid fire

I mean yeah logically doing more competitive matches is probably better for training but also 3 minutes a week is better than literally 0

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Toward the end, Dark and Elevation were trending toward longer and more involved matches.

And even three minutes is still better than nothing, you're still getting the chance to come out and do *something* in front of a crowd and keep yourself from getting rusty.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

ROH is basically the new Dark/Elevation so at least its spirit is still chugging along just fine

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Toward the end, Dark and Elevation were trending toward longer and more involved matches.

And even three minutes is still better than nothing, you're still getting the chance to come out and do *something* in front of a crowd and keep yourself from getting rusty.

Dark and Elevation had longer matches sprinkled for a while. I am fairly sure they put a Dragon classic match versus either either a murder grandpa or a really angry stone golem. Can't totally remember. You'd have the obvious short matches to train the newbies but that was often hidden in multi person matches. Queen Emi (she dropped the Freddie Mercury gimmick ages ago) and Nyla Rose teamed up with Diamante in a ton of fun matches that probably only I loved. Diamante needed that honestly. But yeah ... both short and long. I want to say that started in the Pandemic (awesome commentary too) but I am likely wrong. Either way it seemed like a great place to get training in for new guys, work off ring rust for former wwe talent, reps for older talent returning for injury and tryouts for hopefuls. I thought it was a great show. Just know I kept hearing people mock it and say "nothing but jobber matches with some lady that thinks she freddie mercury" and I kept wondering what they were watching. Fun show that rubbed some people the wrong way.

edit:

Dancing Peasant posted:

ROH is basically the new Dark/Elevation so at least its spirit is still chugging along just fine
I don't think this is an insult but you are not that far off. ROH has a dash better production (esp over the early days) and you get the enter the awesome RiccaBONE ZONE!

projecthalaxy posted:

Tozawa is 1-1-1 on Raw this year, splitting 3 minute matches with the Miz and then not winning an Intercontinental Contenders Battle Royal. 7-4 on Main Event though.
<sigh>

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Beepie wants a bro-oche
Honestly good for Beepie. Sometimes things just don't work between two people/places. I am not betting the farm on his chances but yaknow what? Best of luck! Would be a nice surprise if someone somehow just blossomed with hidden talent and blew away everyone's expectations. Someone should tell him to get that cash and be super frugal with it tho.... just in case. Like have Steen or Sami go introduce him to their investment guys or whatever.

I'm not even that salty about Jade. For all we know someone might have told her to say that or she just could be cozying up the the new boss. Whatever. Just hope everyone goes into this with eyes open, smart with their dollars and armour up. Don't want to hear of someone actually buying the "we are your family now" or "but Vince said I'll owe him one." Get pinned, get paid and clock out.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 28, 2023

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Tozawa's been on RAW a bunch this year, usually in like cameo comedy appearances.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If Tozawa's happy making money being a ninja that never really wrestles that's fine but selfishly, I would love to see him do one last serious run like most people in the WWE who are stuck in Sports Entertainment who are/were great wrestlers

It's still bizarre to think about how Tozawa's first excursion into the US he was Kevin Owen's other goofy best friend and they haven't interacted at all on screen in WWE

edit: nevermind I was wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjXJ83JRXc

They interacted for a full minute

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1707478883652481082

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It would have been such a great push, oh man. Totally blindsided by this, who could have seen this coming? Such a good push, all going to waste now!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

hhh on the outs again

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dark and Elevation had longer matches sprinkled for a while. I am fairly sure they put a Dragon classic match versus either either a murder grandpa or a really angry stone golem.

The Dragon vs. Murder Grandpa match wasn't on Dark or Elevation. It was on the special Rampage preshow one Friday.

The WWE extended Smackdown one week by an extra half hour *just* to gently caress with Rampage's ratings, so TK immediately booked a one-hour youtube preshow for Rampage that contained the Bryan/Suzuki match just out of spite. :allears:

(That extra Smackdown extension featured a Roman segment and it's where he went head-to-head with a Bunny match and she beat him in the ratings.)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

It would have been such a great push, oh man. Totally blindsided by this, who could have seen this coming? Such a good push, all going to waste now!

lol exactly - dunno who they're trying to kid but come on now. Guy's talent has been wasted his entire career just like the potential of basically anyone else who isn't an uso

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

hhh on the outs again

At work and at home :/

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Mustafa Ali was a cop therefore it's good he was released

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I can't believe anyone in WWE had detailed plans for Mustafa Ali's creative well into 2024.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Drakkel posted:

I mean yeah logically doing more competitive matches is probably better for training but also 3 minutes a week is better than literally 0

It's probably worse when you consider all the travel to wrestle that 3 minute match, when you could be training instead. But what do I know

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Ali was literally in the middle of the north american title feud with Dom and Dragon Lee, not too far fetched that they had plans for him until 2024.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

Looks like WWE will be airing on Abema in Japan after not being broadcast in the country for a couple years. Interesting because Abema is a CyberAgent subsidiary, the same people that own DDT, TJPW and NOAH

https://twitter.com/tospo_battle/status/1707306795717595191

lmao at having karl anderson on the smackdown picture that man is still riding off that g1 climax finals

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/hangermads/status/1707170305448280242?t=kFlq2KE86HcpcI4_ZmpVzA&s=19

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

jackofarcades posted:

Mustafa Ali was a cop therefore it's good he was released

He quit when he realized he couldn't couldn't change a broken system, as he talked about here in this Sport s Illustrated article, and hasn't been shy about criticizing policing as an insitution either:
https://streamable.com/sd4ep6

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

WWE is the gateway to crossover stardom

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

cody rules

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
what manga is that

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In speaking about Dark and Elevation, I think it was to give consistent reps to the wrestlers because even though it seems like the wrestlers were free to take indie bookings, the ones that needed it were rarely booked.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

TV Zombie posted:

In speaking about Dark and Elevation, I think it was to give consistent reps to the wrestlers because even though it seems like the wrestlers were free to take indie bookings, the ones that needed it were rarely booked.

It also gave some indy guys a shot to be seen by TK, and turned that shot into a PPA deal, and then into full contracts...

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hell yah lets go Fuego

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

spoilers for the 5th inning

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Can't believe the guy who asked for his release two years ago and was denied out of pettiness has the NXT team blindsided despite him constantly saying he didn't want to be in the company

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://i.imgur.com/LHd85v0.mp4

Edit: loving dumbass me - credit to Bonk I did not make this

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao julia's reaction

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

and it was in that moment that Julia made a choice

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When Julia left them you could tell from their faces they knew they were hosed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

One current WWE guy and a future WWE guy

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I'm gonna guess at least 2/3rds of the people calling BPJ the future of the business had no idea there even was a Brian Pillman Jr until they learned he left AEW

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

One current WWE guy and a future WWE guy

Rick Knox should be fired and go to WWE, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Drakkel posted:

I'm gonna guess at least 2/3rds of the people calling BPJ the future of the business had no idea there even was a Brian Pillman Jr until they learned he left AEW

Still haven't forgiven him for those terrible trunks and that he wore a Steiner singlet for one week that looked great on him and then instantly went back to doughy trunks

I'd be comparing him to Dave Finlay but after seeing Finlay's insane glow up that would be an insult.