Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bishyaler posted:

Booster-haver here.

Previous boosters sent me into a 8 hour fever. Fortunately for this booster I just had body aches the following day, so that's an improvement. However now 3-4 days out my wife and I have both developed full body rashes. Please send hydrocortisone cream

my booster was Tuesday and as of today my left trapezius feels like I have a massive tear in it (pain wise). I haven’t slept on it weird or anything, just a gradual stiffening and pain since Tuesday.

edit: I’m also now noticing my right side trapezius is getting stiffer as well. what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Partner got vaxxed for flu and HPV yesterday and feels like dog poo poo today. Fever and everything.

The time we got Covid was right after a Covid vax. Dark comedy if it's that again.

that’s me. got the vax on Thursday, tested positive Sunday night

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

my booster was Tuesday and as of today my left trapezius feels like I have a massive tear in it (pain wise). I haven’t slept on it weird or anything, just a gradual stiffening and pain since Tuesday.

edit: I’m also now noticing my right side trapezius is getting stiffer as well. what the gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Heres the report on 2021 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsrr/vsrr023.pdf from last year , it looks like it was released late August 2022 so they're about a month behind schedule.

One thing that is interesting to me in the report is the degree to which improvements in deaths to flu and respiratory disease offset large amounts of the increases in death due to covid. Because 2022 is the first really fully opened up year, I think, so we may have lost the decrease in other respiratory infections we got via improved social distancing and masking. So even if covid deaths declined drastically due to vaccination and such, we may have regained a lot of those respiratory deaths due to changes in behavior.

CLRD is chronic lower respiratory disease

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Why Am I So Tired posted:

A recent cancer survivor I know who just got COVID a couple weeks ago from traveling is currently eating inside of an airport. This poo poo is never going to register as normal to me.

Joe Biden has entered the war against cancer, on the side of cancer.

mdemone posted:

Ah, so.

so what is the rationale for not erring toward ten days? just to maximize the number of courses that can be produced?

Five days seemed to work all right in phase II, so a five‐day course was the one used in the phase III trial.

A lot of pharmacology is guess work, and the groundwork laid by initial investigations can be controlling for long time afterward.

Remember the J&J COVID vaccine? “Wow! It works in only a single shot!” Yeah well there was nothing special about it. That just happened to be how the trial was run, because J&J started late and needed some selling point versus Pfizer and Moderna. If the mRNA vaccines had been trialled as single shots, they would have been approved in that regimen, because they would have provided a measurable reduction in symptomatic infection against stains of the virus circulating in 2020 for at least a couple of months. Pfizer and Moderna went with two shots though because they thought that it stood a better chance of showing positive results, and they thought that they could be first to market anyway. They were right.

It’s long been clear since that coronavirus vaccines would be better as three‐shot series, but one versus two versus three shots were not tested in parallel trials, and no one with power is willing to use their professional judgement on this matter.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Sep 29, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s long been clear since that coronavirus vaccines would be better as three‐shot series, but one versus two versus three shots were not tested in parallel trials, and no one with power is willing to use their professional judgement on this matter.

its ok i have been more than willing to use my unprofessional judgement

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Morbus posted:

its ok i have been more than willing to use my unprofessional judgement

Thank you, Dr. Commissioner, for streamlining the vaccination schedule and recommending a single dose of XBB.1.5 monovalent vaccine for unvaccinated persons.

This will surely result in literally tens of Americans receiving their first coronavirus vaccine at their trusted neighborhood national chain pharmacy, when previously they had balked at two mRNA shots, one J&J shot, two Novavax shots, as well as simply not showing up for their second shot if they didn’t want to.

It will be a relief to these individuals that finally the threat of vaccine mandates no longer hangs over them.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

coworker today legitimately blamed his dry cough on "all this beef stew I've been eating".

OK MAN

lol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yeah, he spun around and bowed up immediately which is why I don't have a much better pic, I was NOT gonna gently caress with him

Do not get bitten by any reduviid, imho, once was enough for a lifetime for me

That's a lockdown.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My favorite thing I learned in pharma is that drug expiration dates are set by how long we were willing to test them

2nd best thing: In countries with state run healthcare that doesn’t negotiate on price, just sell at their price you still make a boatload who cares

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bastard Tetris posted:

My favorite thing I learned in pharma is that drug expiration dates are set by how long we were willing to test them

2nd best thing: In countries with state run healthcare that doesn’t negotiate on price, just sell at their price you still make a boatload who cares

Skill issue.

You’re supposed to foment a coup d’état to install a regime that is more amenable to maximization of your profits.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

Thank you, Dr. Commissioner, for streamlining the vaccination schedule and recommending a single dose of XBB.1.5 monovalent vaccine for unvaccinated persons.

This will surely result in literally tens of Americans receiving their first coronavirus vaccine at their trusted neighborhood national chain pharmacy, when previously they had balked at two mRNA shots, one J&J shot, two Novavax shots, as well as simply not showing up for their second shot if they didn’t want to.

It will be a relief to these individuals that finally the threat of vaccine mandates no longer hangs over them.

Actually that change will make all the future booster bandit doses count as +1 fully vaccinated. One weird trick to increase the vaccination rate.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

Joe Biden has entered the war against cancer, on the side of cancer.

"We're gonna cure cancer. Like we cure pickles."

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Got boosted at Rite Aid. They took my info and filled in a new place on my vax card (lol), but didn't have me fill out or sign any consent forms or
answer any allergy questions etc or anything? I mentioned the problems with insurance at other places and the woman vaxxing me said they haven't had any issues and they are trying to take as many walk-ins as possible in addition to appointments. Then I heard the worst wet cough coming from a child, his parents walked him around the corner with Mom saying "okay come on, we gotta get you some more medicine!" No masks. I was the only person with a mask on in the entire store as expected lol lmao

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Indoor Dying posted:

Got boosted at Rite Aid. They took my info and filled in a new place on my vax card (lol), but didn't have me fill out or sign any consent forms or
answer any allergy questions etc or anything? I mentioned the problems with insurance at other places and the woman vaxxing me said they haven't had any issues and they are trying to take as many walk-ins as possible in addition to appointments. Then I heard the worst wet cough coming from a child, his parents walked him around the corner with Mom saying "okay come on, we gotta get you some more medicine!" No masks. I was the only person with a mask on in the entire store as expected lol lmao

jesus are we really still doing the vax card theater?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I was at Walgreens, I asked about the card and at least that particular person at that location said they don't care anymore.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the og vax cards depending on where you lived only had room for two shots

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Shiroc posted:

When I was at Walgreens, I asked about the card and at least that particular person at that location said they don't care anymore.

lol. When I got my last booster (CVS) I forgot my card and didn't notice til I got back home and saw it on the couch.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

this is my 4th Pfizer. +3 hrs after the shot my neck and back were super achy and I started to get real tired. By +5hrs I felt fine but still went to bed early, and was super restless.

One day later and my middle back was sore for a bit, but I also have terrible desk posture so who knows. Feels ok now…Overall would do again.

Do we have any idea of rough % protection from infection before waning? I told my wife it’s probably 50% or less…

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

got my booster today. no side effects

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

We got ours on Monday. No nasty effects for me, last time I got knocked on my rear end. Wife is tired as hell and has been all week. who knows

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I called my kiddo's pediatrician to ask if they had pediatric shots, or knew when they would. They said they probably never would and that I should contact the local health department. I can definitely get my kid a flu shot at the doc's though!!

Bastard Tetris posted:

They also have accelerated stability studies that involve testing at higher temps and using some equation to try and relate the stability at [higher temp] to [lower temp], but honestly I'm pretty skeptical of the process. I've seen the equation that's supposed to translate "stability at 37 C" to "stability at room temp" totally faceplant. My guess is that it's because some stuff isn't stable for long at all in the 40s, and since temperature is measuring a kinetic energy distribution, and since some molecules in the distribution will always be high energy, those high-energy molecules might be too energetic. But idk :shrug:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

this post has angered the shot as my arm is now sore and stiff. hope it fades before I go back to work tomorrow, I need that muscle to lift poo poo.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

RandolphCarter posted:

this post has angered the shot as my arm is now sore and stiff. hope it fades before I go back to work tomorrow, I need that muscle to lift poo poo.

You could always call your boss and tell them you're taking a sick day because you just got vaxxed. Many bosses will be amenable because it's the vaccine.

Just don't dare to think of taking a sick day because of Covid itself.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Can we start tracking beef stew in the wastewater.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

jesus are we really still doing the vax card theater?

lol the CVS my bf and i went to wouldn't give us shots without either the card or some other CDC related registry... thing that my boyfriend had to pull up on his phone in lieu of the card. so stupid

the side effects of the shot were the most minimal so far, so that was nice. low grade fever, a bit of aching, sleepy, that was it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wastewater Data

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't see my county there but if it were I'd be making GBS threads it right up to 2147483647.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
"integer overflow" is not an encouraging answer to the question of how much SARS-CoV-2 RNA is in my local wastewater

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
well there's your problem, you're using signed integers. you can't have negative covid in the poop!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Zugzwang posted:

"integer overflow" is not an encouraging answer to the question of how much SARS-CoV-2 RNA is in my local wastewater

It's because some poop floats

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

celadon posted:

they are probably hard at work trying to come up with a novel statistic to replace life expectancy thats a lot easier to mess with

Unregretted User Minutes on Earth

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VomitOnLino posted:

:hmmyes:

Anyway I was searching for information on symptomatic periods/duration for covid vs flu/cold and clicked the CDC COVID vs Flu page. It says:

COVID-19: Typically, a person may experience symptoms anywhere from two to five days, and up to 14 days after infection.

Okay then, I clicked the link for "What to Do If You Are Sick with COVID-19" and it's broken. Great, thanks. I got a popup to fill in a survey about the website and it asked me:

"Based on the information I found, I am planning to make changes to my lifestyle or my family's lifestyle:"

I clicked Disagree and it followed up with "Why are you unlikely to make a change to improve your health?" motherfucker unload that question!! It's because you didn't recommend me poo poo!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah it's the iceberg effect, some of the covid is floating above the waterline

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zugzwang posted:

don't think of it as sars 2 RNA. think of it as sars 2 RNG. there was no way to predict this outcome, so it was simply random chance

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the worst cosmic bit flip in history

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zugzwang posted:

VomitOnLino posted:

gdi

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Crazyweasel posted:

Do we have any idea of rough % protection from infection before waning? I told my wife it’s probably 50% or less…

how do you mean?

you gotta look at it in terms of risk reduction / reduced likelihood of infection versus the baseline of being unvaccinated, because the exposure, timeline, your innate immune system, circumstances etc will always be different.

if you get a shitload of virus up your snoot, you are 100% going to get sick regardless. vaccination and having circulating antibodies mitigates how big A Shitload is. maybe your titers will put the kibosh on. maybe they wont, but having an updated vax on board within 3-4 months makes that much more likely.

there's almost nobody who is Covid naive now so, "true" data on how well the new vax "works" won't be forthcoming. pseudovirus assays are saying like at least an order of magnitude higher response vs any dated vaccine or infection, but the arbitrary units also don't really mean anything.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

this is my 4th Pfizer. +3 hrs after the shot my neck and back were super achy and I started to get real tired. By +5hrs I felt fine but still went to bed early, and was super restless.

One day later and my middle back was sore for a bit, but I also have terrible desk posture so who knows. Feels ok now…Overall would do again.

I had that same progression of beck pain but with moderna. weird. First day not much arm
just hurt. Next day is when it started kicking in but ibuprofen helped. Third day woke up feeling great. Then today I got that awesome break thru bleeding all the cool kids are talking about woo. I also inexplicably lost two pounds even though I changed nothing about how I was eating or moving. Making antibodies burns serious calories I guess.

As far as protection goes, who knows. It raises titers but not nearly as much as the original shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there's almost nobody who is Covid naive now

It's me, almost nobody! Just barely a somebody.