Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao new RLM video mentions something that bugged me in the Friday movies

People poo poo without wiping!!!! Nasty! Deserved to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can someone spoiler for me the post credits scene for saw x? None of the others had one, so I assumed this one didn't, but I guess it does?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they got a lot out of a character that technically died in the third movie i respect that

The reason the SAW movies are good is that they are up their own rear end about their lore and history and making sure everything makes canonical sense.

The reason the SAW movies are bad is that they are up their own rear end about their lore and history and making sure everything makes canonical sense.

Like, the big appeal (to me) is that everything is taken so deadly serious and there are no jokes or comic relief moments in the entire franchise and the bad guy (usually) wins, not in a "beaten but clearly coming back" way like in a Freddy movie but like, outright accomplishes all his goals and continues to stay winning. And yet we keep watching mostly to see more of this stupid dumb lore that's had 10 movies now with no reboots or retcons whatsoever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harminoff posted:

Can someone spoiler for me the post credits scene for saw x? None of the others had one, so I assumed this one didn't, but I guess it does?

Jigsaw is an alien grey

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just don’t like the SAW movies. Like the first one is good but it’s a gradual degradation. The meta plot and character stuff is so convoluted and silly. Jigsaw is such a self important tool treated like a god in world. The films basically do the slasher thing I don’t like where people just exist to be killed in gory ways. I don’t care generally about that stuff and kind of care even less about the screwy over complicated death traps. Obviously that’s the appeal for many and obviously the slasher “watch for the shark” thing has its audience. It’s just not me.

It pains me that I will watch the new SAW film because I’m a crazy completionist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Or just don’t watch it and your mental health will be better

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'll see Saw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll see it because I like revenge stories, and I’ve watched them all at this point so why not

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
the reveal in saw 1 with hello zepp playing is cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Shrecknet posted:

The reason the SAW movies are good is that they are up their own rear end about their lore and history and making sure everything makes canonical sense.

The reason the SAW movies are bad is that they are up their own rear end about their lore and history and making sure everything makes canonical sense.

Like, the big appeal (to me) is that everything is taken so deadly serious and there are no jokes or comic relief moments in the entire franchise and the bad guy (usually) wins, not in a "beaten but clearly coming back" way like in a Freddy movie but like, outright accomplishes all his goals and continues to stay winning. And yet we keep watching mostly to see more of this stupid dumb lore that's had 10 movies now with no reboots or retcons whatsoever.

they're soap operas it owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best thing about the saw movies is the score. When i stopped having to see them in theaters because I was older than 17 and my parents didn’t need to take my friends, I still fired up the new Zepp drop because Charlie klouser kills it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the reveal in saw 1 with hello zepp playing is cool

hello zepp is a better and more iconic leitmotif than ch-ch-ch, ah-ah-ah from F13 and I will die on this musical hill.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shrecknet posted:

hello zepp is a better and more iconic leitmotif than ch-ch-ch, ah-ah-ah from F13 and I will die on this musical hill.

You're not wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

It’s ki ki ki ma ma ma you fool!

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
There is only one F13 music piece that should be enshrined and it's Manfredini's opening to P3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6P4iatMl7M

I also watched pt. 4 in my office today and no matter how many times I watch, I never stop loving Ted White as Jason. (Hodder, is the gold standard, obviously, but the J-dog had almost always had good stuntmen.)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hello Zepp is unironically one of the best musical cues in movies, full stop. It's such a great, quick shorthand for 'poo poo's about to get REAL' and it hits hard, even in mediocre movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The correct pronunciation of the film is Socks. (Not my original post but can't find SMGs)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just got out of Saw X. Hooooooooly poo poo, even my high expectations were exceeded. Best one of the franchise, and I already thought the original trilogy as is was perfect (with the first film having been the best. No longer, and it's a perfect quadrilogy now with X being the best)

They really made the most human, emotional (surprisingly so, and surprisingly positive towards John and Amanda in ways they never went so far with before. Very sensitive and compassionate), and cathartic entry almost 2 loving decades in. And oh yeah, it's also probably the bloodiest one (legit surprised they got away with two of the things they got away with). Good god almighty we are so back

My horror film of the year. Everything else, yall got three full months to change that; I don't envy that task

never. loving. doubted

Harminoff posted:

Saw X midcredits spoiler: John gets a guy who was part of the scam (the guy who tricked him by showing him a fake stomach scar and saying "this works, go for it but with your head") after Detective Hoffman appeared and grabbed him, and they put him in a trap designed to give his stomach a real scar, and much more if he doesn't save himself

Surreal as gently caress being in a packed theater in 2023 and half of us legit clapping for Costas Mandylor. The strangest hero film you'll see all year

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 29, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

My favorite samurai films

Hara-Kiri (1962)
Sword of Doom (1966)
Lady Snowblood (1973)*
13 Assassins (2010)
Onibaba (1964)**
Any of the Kurosawa ones honestly they're all fantastic (a bunch of different years)

*Don't remember if this contains any actual samurai but it's great.

**also a horror film
Adding to this Samurai Rebellion
But also the fantastic Tetsuo director, Shinya Tsukamoto made a brutal and interesting samurai film that almost treats it like horror conventions: the aftermath of a battle looks like a scene out of Texas chainsaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPhUGcjN_Ik

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't help but have affection for anything that commits to convoluted puzzle plots even if its not any good. Especially if you get the summation in what is basically a music video. Saw oddly scratches that same part of the brain that also makes me like stuff like Viture's Last Reward.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ugh am I gonna have to give a poo poo about the Saw franchise.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Will I need to rewatch any Saws to understand the new one? I hope not. I blitzed through them all in a day a few years ago and dont care to repeat it. I barely remember anything besides crazy interweaving retconned plot threads and some insane saw-cop racking up Jason Voorhees numbers

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ugh am I gonna have to give a poo poo about the Saw franchise.

Just find a highlight reel and you'll be fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Origami Dali posted:

Will I need to rewatch any Saws to understand the new one? I hope not. I blitzed through them all in a day a few years ago and dont care to repeat it. I barely remember anything besides crazy interweaving retconned plot threads and some insane saw-cop racking up Jason Voorhees numbers

No. Jigsaw has cancer is dying makes his life’s mission to test people and then he recruits Hoffman and Amanda and both go crazy and jigsaw dies and Hoffman becomes crazy jigsaw and then the dread pirate roberts comes back and kills him and then Chris rock was in one idk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Terrifier 2 in the cinema tonight and me and the partner have a bunch of friends coming who haven't seen it. beers at 8, carnage at 8:30. can't wait!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not just cinema. It’s Art

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jeepers Creepers 2 happened to be on a stream and man this movie is turds. Anything not involving the monster is so dull.

And as always, gently caress Victor Salva that loving monster.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

No, it’s almost like a complete franchise reboot despite timeline-wise coming right after Saw 1. In terms of mood there’s nothing like it, and there’s only three characters you actually know after it past Saw 1

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheKingslayer posted:

Jeepers Creepers 2 happened to be on a stream and man this movie is turds. Anything not involving the monster is so dull.

It’s really sad that a horrible man like that created a cool kind of iconic monster because now I can’t even really separate the creature from the dude so I’m always like “ooh creeper!😃….ohhhh the creeper☹️…”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s not like nobody making these films knew. If you look up the details of his crimes you’ll see how blatant and public it was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“He did his time”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember when it was first reported during the making of Powder and Disney acted all surprised and then insisted that you can’t just fire a director in the middle of production.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Today is challenge thread day right?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Today is challenge thread day right?

I've got the fuckin shakes man

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s not like nobody making these films knew. If you look up the details of his crimes you’ll see how blatant and public it was.

And once you know that poo poo just jumps off the screen at you. "Ah yeah there's this horrible monster that hunts and devours young men... gently caress."

The scene where the Creeper rips it's own head off is extremely cool though, props to the effects team that worked on that one.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

This is why everyone should just focus and praise Jonathan Breck for delivering a great monster performance (especially in 2) and ignore the garbage that directed it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I just don't feel the need to watch that movie :shrug: I'm pretty mellow about separating art and artist but some people are just not worth it for me, especially when there are a billion great horror films and monsters out there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I just don't feel the need to watch that movie :shrug: I'm pretty mellow about separating art and artist but some people are just not worth it for me, especially when there are a billion great horror films and monsters out there.

In some cases one can separate art from artist, but then there's others where you can't. In the case of Salva, his choices in filming angles and such show despite the 'he did his time' excuse, he's still an unrepentant danger.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Yeah, I've never understood the love for those movies. They're very much informed by the creator's deviancy, and even if they weren't they're still just not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It is extremely hard to watch/rewatch JC2 knowing what Salva did, art/artist separation or not

They rebooted the series with Reborn with a new director and without paying Salva, but Reborn was also the worst (quality-wise) one in the franchise, so yeah, just move on. There's nothing to salvage