Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

forgot Banana existed. He'd be next to Shiro tho

Comes with being voiced by Steve Staley, imo. I actually like Staley a lot as Banana and as McGillis but his Shiro is... not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I looked up a ZZ character knowing nothing about the series and uh. are those their clothes vaporizing off in their death scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yes that's Chara Soon and she is the most

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Comes with being voiced by Steve Staley, imo. I actually like Staley a lot as Banana and as McGillis but his Shiro is... not great.

The only audio I can recall of dub Shiro is his whining about Miss Aina when he loses his poo poo during the Packard fight. Gotta say I agree

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/zeonicscans/status/1706883671918366809?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

The only audio I can recall of dub Shiro is his whining about Miss Aina when he loses his poo poo during the Packard fight. Gotta say I agree

He wants me to retreat time to attack AAAAAAAAAAAAH

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

Can some please post the Haman copypasta

As requested:

closeted republican posted:

HOLY poo poo I SAW HIM AGAIN TODAY!!!

i was at a party dealing with some stiff feddie suits when JUDAU FUCKIN CAME BACK <3

he was mad at me for some reason so i pulled a gun on him to calm him down like i did with char when we were havin sex back then but it didnt work.

instead he yelled at me and said i was bad and stuff. i shot at him but he didnt like it. then all of the sudden glemy's pedo girlfriend appeared and stood in front of him

AND THEN I SHOT HER Q_Q

JUDAU GOT REALLY MAD AND

MADE

A

DEMON

APPEAR IN FRONT OF HIMSELF!!!!!

HE HAD ALL OF THE NEWTYPE ENERGY FLOWING THROUGH HIM AND HE MADE A GIANT PROJECTION OF HIMSELF AND IT SCARED ME SO MUCH THAT I RAN BACK TO MY ROOM AND CRIED ABOUT IT FOR A LONG TIME

I'M..I CAN'T. I CAN'T. I AM SUCH A TRASH BABY FOR BLOWING IT WITH HIM.

I WISH WE COuld fuse togehter for a day like steven universe and connie did so he could see what we would be like together

im sorry judau for being so gross

Tagged: gently caress MY LIFE, personal, sex, love, tw:newtypes
20,000 notes

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I like Shiro a lot because he goes into the war with a some core ideals that he thinks will make him good at being a soldier, but learns that the opposite it true and rather than abandon his ideals he fucks off and gets laid.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Next up: CCA then probably a UC break for IBO.

E: also til there’s a 4k HDR version of CCA released on bluray

I did this and it put me in a really harsh mood because tv anime simply cannot compete. (Also weed might have played a part).

The official 4k restore sucks. Get the fan one from EG on nyaa

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given he's the masked guy, I have to assume a crazy made-up name like "Daniel" is an alias for something far more conventional and space-Christian like "Ragdoll Flipflops".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gaius Marius posted:

The difference between Kou and Shiro is that Shiro has a complete story arc, a bad one, but still one. Shiro has the eject button smashed on his story and ends up floundering the rest of the series, getting cucked by a fascist, and then ending up in the exact same place he was and still lusting after a woman who betrayed him. Totally incompetent

I purposefully didn't rank Hathaway until his movies are all out, and forgot Banana existed. He'd be next to Shiro tho

I think we agree on facts and disagree on principle.

All these things are entirely true! Then the plot of 08th goes out of its way to justify Shiro's actions and support everything he does (or fails to do), to the point of making the other more interesting characters act like dipshits. Being a non-entity and letting some air back into the limited space a six-ep series can contain would be a marked improvement.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

I think we agree on facts and disagree on principle.

All these things are entirely true! Then the plot of 08th goes out of its way to justify Shiro's actions and support everything he does (or fails to do), to the point of making the other more interesting characters act like dipshits. Being a non-entity and letting some air back into the limited space a six-ep series can contain would be a marked improvement.

It doesn't, though. The whole 9th episode is Shiro's ideals being slammed into reality face first over and over, with dozens of people dying because he tried to have everything, and him having to kill someone who really didn't deserve it in the bargain.

The last two episodes before the epilogue go even further to show that his idealism doesn't work as it was, with him having to kill Norris and Ginias in close quarters to accomplish anything. Sure, he saves the day, gets the girl, and retires to a happy ending at the bargain price of one leg, but to get that he had to compromise with the world on both sides, losing his commitment to sparing the enemy and losing his place as a soldier.

I'm not that hot on 08th or Shiro, (Even for UC sidestory OVAs with a Steve Staley voiced lead, Unicorn is in the lead and it's not close) but the series does portray him as flawed and in need of growth. It's just more difficult to see since two of the three main characters calling him out are borderline villains, and Kojima, the one unambiguously "heroic" figure who criticizes Shiro, is still more-or-less in his corner come the climax.

As for UC protagonist rankings, shooting from the hip...

Amuro
Bernie
Kamille
Hathaway Noa
Casval
Shiro
Banagher
Io
Ben Barberry
Seabook
Asagi Briggs
Rayban Surat
Kou
Arlette Almage
Mark Curran
Jona Basta
Arleen Nazon,
Oliver May

(Haven't finished ZZ or Victory yet, so I can't given a fair verdict yet to either's lead. And if I felt safe judging on partial scores, than Kou could have shot way up just going by the first few episodes. Dang shame how that worked out)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Just read Rebellion if you want Kou Uraki but with a good arc.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My favorite part of Rebellion is the two volume gaiden at the end that is a Monsha redemption arc and where ”Gato” comes back with the Neo Delaz Fleet to hijack and drop another colony. Also Monsha rescues a princess and has newtype flashbacks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

It doesn't, though. The whole 9th episode is Shiro's ideals being slammed into reality face first over and over, with dozens of people dying because he tried to have everything, and him having to kill someone who really didn't deserve it in the bargain.

The last two episodes before the epilogue go even further to show that his idealism doesn't work as it was, with him having to kill Norris and Ginias in close quarters to accomplish anything. Sure, he saves the day, gets the girl, and retires to a happy ending at the bargain price of one leg, but to get that he had to compromise with the world on both sides, losing his commitment to sparing the enemy and losing his place as a soldier.

I'm not that hot on 08th or Shiro, (Even for UC sidestory OVAs with a Steve Staley voiced lead, Unicorn is in the lead and it's not close) but the series does portray him as flawed and in need of growth. It's just more difficult to see since two of the three main characters calling him out are borderline villains, and Kojima, the one unambiguously "heroic" figure who criticizes Shiro, is still more-or-less in his corner come the climax.

As for UC protagonist rankings, shooting from the hip...

Amuro
Bernie
Kamille
Hathaway Noa
Casval
Shiro
Banagher
Io
Ben Barberry
Seabook
Asagi Briggs
Rayban Surat
Kou
Arlette Almage
Mark Curran
Jona Basta
Arleen Nazon,
Oliver May

(Haven't finished ZZ or Victory yet, so I can't given a fair verdict yet to either's lead. And if I felt safe judging on partial scores, than Kou could have shot way up just going by the first few episodes. Dang shame how that worked out)

you made up half of that list by asking an AI for fake gundam protagonist names you can't fool me

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

amigolupus posted:

As requested:

that's the poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

you made up half of that list by asking an AI for fake gundam protagonist names you can't fool me

I'm sorry I didn't mention Reed Fox, but if I included video games and manga, we'd be here all day.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry I didn't mention Reed Fox, but if I included video games and manga, we'd be here all day.

Watch out, it's a new Gundam OYW Side Story featuring a new Gundam!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Some poor tech outfitting Ball units with beam cannons going "Why can't we just use all those Gundams we made?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If it was truly an AI generated Gundam protagonist list, Johnny Ridden would be there

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Waffleman_ posted:

If it was truly an AI generated Gundam protagonist list, Johnny Ridden would be there

She’s not the protagonist, Led Wayline is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

An AI wouldn't include Johnny Ridden because they would generate all his traits and assume they generated Char.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/BandaiCollect/status/1707545845241892993?s=20

:nallears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need to get my "Avater" parts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

She’s not the protagonist, Led Wayline is.

Can a Gundam protagonist really be from Ohio?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do you need one of those vr headsets to visit the Gundam meta verse?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Do you need one of those vr headsets to visit the Gundam meta verse?

I have seen this anime and it is bad.

And then apparently the sequel is really good? But I still haven't seen it on account of how bad the first one was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hellioning posted:

I have seen this anime and it is bad.

And then apparently the sequel is really good? But I still haven't seen it on account of how bad the first one was.

The sequel makes the first season better. It directly addresses major criticisms of the first season but in a way that doesn't feel like it's trashing the first season. That's one of the things I love about the show, the theme of overcoming past mistakes or trauma extends to the Build Divers sub-franchise as a whole.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo Bandai please stop mismanaging this franchise

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Could be worse

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coming up next, Gundam Build NFTs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy poo poo Bandai please stop mismanaging this franchise

I mean, they're mismanaging it all the way to the bank so far. This metaverse nonsense might cost them, or it might somehow work out, but they've been massively increasing profit year-over-year for a while now.

Companies seldom abandon policies when they're profitable. If this goes the way most metaverse stuff has been going, then it's likely a weird hiccup. It's only if it's a big hit that we're looking at trouble.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Coming up next, Gundam Build NFTs

I've got bad news.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they stole my idea?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

The sequel makes the first season better. It directly addresses major criticisms of the first season but in a way that doesn't feel like it's trashing the first season. That's one of the things I love about the show, the theme of overcoming past mistakes or trauma extends to the Build Divers sub-franchise as a whole.

It really doesn't. Build Divers is just utterly tedious to watch, and even badly animated at times. I think there's maybe... one(?) good fight in the show's run.

ReRise takes great pains to stay faaaar away from anything to do with the original series as much as it can, focusing on its own little world, and retaining the only good character from Divers in a secondary role. It wants to tell its own story, and is just working through Divers' setting to do it. There's zero reason to engage with Divers at all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really doesn't. Build Divers is just utterly tedious to watch, and even badly animated at times. I think there's maybe... one(?) good fight in the show's run.

ReRise takes great pains to stay faaaar away from anything to do with the original series as much as it can, focusing on its own little world, and retaining the only good character from Divers in a secondary role. It wants to tell its own story, and is just working through Divers' setting to do it. There's zero reason to engage with Divers at all.

Except that Re:Rise goes out of its way to tie Hirito's whole character arc to Riku's, in a way that elevates Riku. It moves his relationship with Sarah from being an empty nothing to the outskirts of Simon the Digger territory (You're wrong, dumbass! I'll protect 'em! The girl, the universe, both of them! I don't wanna regret doing nothing cause of a tomorrow that might never come.) He's now The One Who Did It, a hero who succeeded where Hiroto failed and an inspiration to a whole world that's never met him. The show also makes a point of Hiroto's badass cred being "He used to be part of Team Avalon!", which in turn gasses up Kyoya. Every cool thing Hiroto does gets the addendum "This man can make water run uphill and he has a commander.".

It doesn't make Divers itself less boring, yes. But Re:Rise puts the original show and characters in a new context where they make more sense and have more narrative weight. Unlike some shows and games which try to put over the new guy by crapping on the old one, Re:Rise puts in a yeoman's work to have Riku be cool, significant, and relevant without overshadowing the new leads. Sure, Riku's still not terribly interesting, but he's more interesting than he was, and he doesn't drag down the show when he cameos. Considering what they were working with, that's remarkable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think there's a lot of daylight between "Re:Rise makes the first season better" and "Re:Rise uses the first season's characters more effectively than the first season did". The latter is true, but the former absolutely is not; even with Re:Rise in play, the original Divers is an extremely boring nothing of a show.

If anything, Re:Rise having to do a big glowup of Riku to make him vaguely appealing as a character is even more damning of the original Divers, because that was the show where he was the actual heroic protagonist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think there's a lot of daylight between "Re:Rise makes the first season better" and "Re:Rise uses the first season's characters more effectively than the first season did". The latter is true, but the former absolutely is not; even with Re:Rise in play, the original Divers is an extremely boring nothing of a show.

If anything, Re:Rise having to do a big glowup of Riku to make him vaguely appealing as a character is even more damning of the original Divers, because that was the show where he was the actual heroic protagonist.

That's the thing. It doesn't give him a glowup primarily by changing his actions. It changes the context, and that changed context stays in mind when rewatching the original if (for some absurd reason) you do that. He looks a little better in hindsight, and seems a little less boring. It's not enough to save it, sure, but it's still an improvement from "terrible boring nothing" to "Slightly less terrible and slightly less boring show that kind of has meaning".

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I totally fell off of Divers about halfway through because of how utterly boring Riku and company were. But Re:Rise didn't suffer at all for not watching it and absolutely stands on its own, while giving enough context about the events of Divers that you don't miss out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the thing. It doesn't give him a glowup primarily by changing his actions. It changes the context, and that changed context stays in mind when rewatching the original if (for some absurd reason) you do that. He looks a little better in hindsight, and seems a little less boring. It's not enough to save it, sure, but it's still an improvement from "terrible boring nothing" to "Slightly less terrible and slightly less boring show that kind of has meaning".

For all of a single moment, at the end of a tediously-bad 24-episode show, and reminds you of a much better show you could've watched 24 episodes of instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that Re:Rise goes out of its way to tie Hirito's whole character arc to Riku's, in a way that elevates Riku. It moves his relationship with Sarah from being an empty nothing to the outskirts of Simon the Digger territory (You're wrong, dumbass! I'll protect 'em! The girl, the universe, both of them! I don't wanna regret doing nothing cause of a tomorrow that might never come.) He's now The One Who Did It, a hero who succeeded where Hiroto failed and an inspiration to a whole world that's never met him. The show also makes a point of Hiroto's badass cred being "He used to be part of Team Avalon!", which in turn gasses up Kyoya. Every cool thing Hiroto does gets the addendum "This man can make water run uphill and he has a commander.".

It doesn't make Divers itself less boring, yes. But Re:Rise puts the original show and characters in a new context where they make more sense and have more narrative weight. Unlike some shows and games which try to put over the new guy by crapping on the old one, Re:Rise puts in a yeoman's work to have Riku be cool, significant, and relevant without overshadowing the new leads. Sure, Riku's still not terribly interesting, but he's more interesting than he was, and he doesn't drag down the show when he cameos. Considering what they were working with, that's remarkable.

The final battle in ReRise is also a response to the final battle in Divers. The final battle in Divers has the entire GBN playerbase outside of Riku's team fighting to kill Sarah because her existence is messing up their game. As I and many others pointed out, this makes them all look like absolute psychos.

The final battle in ReRise has the entire GBN playerbase fighting to stop Alus. But, Alus can't do anything to them. he can't break the game, he can't kill anybody, he is completely powerless to actually cause any harm when he's in GBN. The only stakes are freeing Alus's soul so he can be reborn.

At the end of Divers, the entire GBN playerbase worked to try to kill an AI. At the end of ReRise, the entire GBN playerbase works to try to save an AI's soul. Every single loving character from Divers gets a redemptive arc in ReRise.