Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DeceasedHorse posted:

The rumor is that the striking scorpions will also be redone, which makes more sense then a resin kill team

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I don't see them putting together a KT box without both units being the new KT style sculpts and sprues.

gottem *puppet mastering over here*

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I got two Leviathan boxes because I’m part of the problem and I used the extra Captain and Librarian bits, plus some other spare stuff, to kitbash a Terminator Chaplain I’m really happy with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Very nice! I might need a second Leviathan box for some conversions soon...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

where’s my loving sisters of silence kill team with sniper rifle, power fist, adrathic destructor, Webber, and beastmistress with cyber-beasts? Those are all current 30k SoS options without models!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I got two Leviathan boxes because I’m part of the problem and I used the extra Captain and Librarian bits, plus some other spare stuff, to kitbash a Terminator Chaplain I’m really happy with.

Very cool.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Thin your paints!!

:hai:

watching some tutorials, I had no idea how much easier contrast/speed paints were to apparently get something really nice looking from a starting point of nothing. Someone told me I shouldn't start with those since it makes everything pretty easy and I guess I see why! Sorta wishing I'd started there but hey, gotta learn the basics I guess before I take the quicker ways :v:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Contrasts have their uses even in "normal" paint jobs, there's some good videos out there on thinning down contrasts even more to get some nice looking washes. They can also be used and then highlighted over with normal acrylics and you'll end up with a middleground between the two styles. But if contrasts get the desired effect you were going for and you're happy with it I don't see why they'd be a bad starting point, you'll still pick up other methods over time when you think of a cool thing you want to do or see something you want to replicate and see how they did it and add that to your skillset.

Unrelated to painting, weren't a grip of books supposed to come out this month? The Fall of Cadia, Genefather, and some others are on WarCom with September release dates and I haven't seen any option to even preorder them.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 28, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Unless you have grand ambitions of painting extremely well in the 'eavy metal style one day I'd say go with the easier way, especially if it makes painting more enjoyable. I'd add, just because it is easier doesn't mean it isn't something you can pour hundreds of hours into and master. Most of the great renaissance painters did the contrast paint method of painting, it obviously wasn't called contrast painting though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

To add on some contrast plus general painting thoughts:

If it brings you joy (as it does me) seek out different painting styles and learn from the masters of those styles either by following their tutorials or attempting to copy pictures they post. And don't worry about the order you learn these things in, so if you learn contrast paints over a simple white primer coat first that's completely fine. Perhaps one day you will find a style that you love enough to settle into mastering it, or perhaps you'll invent your own distinctive style. Me I'm still flitting about learning things.

But for some contrast related stuff, https://www.instagram.com/jh.miniaturas/ does contrast and/or speedpaints with highlights as his style.

Here's NJM Marco Frisoni with his "en Grisaille" video, that after slapchop became a thing, he changed the video title on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoX6tgxFG4

To me having watched this video and done up a Spiritseer with it, I consider "en Grisaille" to be more purposeful placing of the underpainting shadows and highlights whereas "Slapchop" is a faster method with less precision placement going on.

Branch out and paint models that interest you in ways that interest you, and have fun :)

B-person
Oct 29, 2010

Tangy Zizzle posted:

what happened to my drat catachans

I would also like an update. There is the SpaceNam range from Reptilian Overlords if you are ok with third parties, though I have come to find the old gnarly models kind of charming in how ugly they are and a good basis for kitbashing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well man, it sure is hard painting these little guys :v:

My first sister turned out a little rough, mostly because I think I thinned the paints a little too much, and the little wet pallette thing I got had too much water to start. I cleaned it up though and got the water level sorted after a bit. My second one turned out much better! They're still kinda sloppy but they're also literally my first two paint jobs I've ever done

I'll take a picture tomorrow once things dry and I get the chance to do a couple touch ups here and there. It's definitely fun working on them though! I can tell it's going to take me a bit to get everything down. I guess I'll need to learn to do a wash thing at some point as well since everything's gonna look kinda flat to start, but gonna take it one step at a time (and think about maybe picking up the contrast paints to make things a bit easier on myself.. I'm sure I'll find uses for the other paints I have eventually)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Always good to keep your first couple models around to see how far you've progressed over the year.

Also yeah regular acrylic paints are still useful especially for little details. You're not gonna dot eyes or highlight edges with contrast paint, for example.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also worth remembering if you paint on paint that is basically over thinned so much its like coloured water that's not great but because it's so thin you can paint multiple layers of that paint and you're still not going to lose detail.

It's like measure twice cut once. If you paint too thick you have to strip the paint off to try again and you may never get the detail back. If you go a bit too thin that's OK, you can just apply another really thin layer, and another until you get a solid colour.

I mean theoretically you could paint your model with mega thinned down paints and eventually it would look "normal". It would just take ages.

It's why really thinned paints are reserved for techniques like glazing, where you're trying to get a specific effect.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If I want to get a couple of 4/5th ed era Rhinos looking presentable, what should I fill the gaps with? Milliput? Green Stuff? Just a bit inexpertly assembled.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Did an Ork Meganob for KT, inspired by old Eavy Metal stuff:

That rocks. The way you did the space marine helmets is great

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Frustratingly my GK chaplain is the limited edition chaplain which was the old equipment (storm bolter and crozius) and I can see right now the GK datasheet is going to say "the chaplain is armed with a storm shield and a crozius".

They really know how to make you buy models.
I literally just finished kitbashing a termie chaplain with a combiweapon which was an option on the 10th index card :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

rain dogs posted:

That rocks. The way you did the space marine helmets is great

Thanks! I struggled with the helmets, to tge point that the white was completely finished with chipping and I had to redo it because I just didn’t like the look. It doesn’t make sense for it to be the cleanest of the three, being on bottom, but I prefer it that way.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

BizarroAzrael posted:

If I want to get a couple of 4/5th ed era Rhinos looking presentable, what should I fill the gaps with? Milliput? Green Stuff? Just a bit inexpertly assembled.

I like milliput for gap filling, with a bit of water it turn into a pase-like consistency good for smearing and wiping off compared to greenstuff being more rubbery,

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I like a combination of both personally, I find you get the best of each material that way.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I use sprue goo to fill gaps. Just gotta be careful you don’t get it everywhere.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

War Dog Karnivores in stock at GW US this morning, just purchased 2 boxes!

edit: may be out of stock again. Brigands showed up for a while yesterday, may be worth keeping an eye on it. Stock coming and going?

coelomate fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 29, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I use sprue goo to fill gaps. Just gotta be careful you don’t get it everywhere.

Yeah I hosed up 30K Ahriman's shoulder that way, that's probably a Green Stuff problem. loving mad design though, why on earth is there a join there?!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:confuoot:

The coverage definitely didn't look so bad last night! I guess as the paint shrank, it pulled back from some of the spots that I had it on since it was a little bit too water-y

I was going to go back tonight and fix a few things anyway, so I'll just make sure to try and fix her face because man, her poor face :negative:. Somehow it's a lot more splotchy than I remember it looking before I set it down to fully dry over night! I wonder if I should let it dry longer before doing my second coat, the "ultimate guide to painting" video I watched before I started as one last tutorial said that like 5 minutes between coats was enough, then to let it dry after but perhaps that wasn't quite right or I didn't follow the timer enough?

The robe probably needs a bit of a second coat as well in a few spots, some of them are definitely just thin coats where I had to paint extra carefully, and I probably just didn't go back and do the extra coats needed since it was getting to be the end of the night, that's easy enough to fix!

As my literal second ever attempt at painting a model though, I think it's not a bad place to start. I guess I need to try and some highlights on it, but I think I'll take the time to fix the base coat first before I worry about any of that. I will say though, I think the red for the hair turned out to be more ronald mcdonald then I was expecting, probably going to either darken it for the rest of them or maybe just pick an easier color like a nice brown or black lol. It might look less silly if I picked a lighter tone for the skin too?

Big things I learned:
Careful you don't get the paint too thin, not so much water on a wet pallette
The youtube videos weren't kidding about get your face close for painting fine details, it feels the tiniest bit silly holding it insanely close to your face but it really does make everything easier
Patience with the brush, don't try to go too fast
Make sure to dry the brush enough after you rinse it between paints! Cannot emphasize this enough, it's probably where I went the most wrong on the first model.

The first model has similar issues, it's just less even and there's more paint overlap. Totally feel free to laugh btw cause man, I sure need more practice :v:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The youtube videos weren't kidding about get your face close for painting fine details, it feels the tiniest bit silly holding it insanely close to your face but it really does make everything easier

Getting a headband magnifier has been a massive QOL improvement for me. Helps with every step of the process, especially with a good, bright lamp. Still, for your second mini, that's a great goddamn start and you should feel good.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

and don’t forget that even if your 10th mini isn’t better than your first, all 10 next to each other will look much better than scrutinizing the detail on one. Finishing my first unit gave me a TON of motivation as I saw it all come together.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

rantmo posted:

Getting a headband magnifier has been a massive QOL improvement for me. Helps with every step of the process, especially with a good, bright lamp. Still, for your second mini, that's a great goddamn start and you should feel good.

I got a combo set that's like jewelers magnifiers and a tiny little LED right on my forehead pointing directly at what I'm painting. I love it and it has made painting life so much easier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bird food bathtub posted:

I got a combo set that's like jewelers magnifiers and a tiny little LED right on my forehead pointing directly at what I'm painting. I love it and it has made painting life so much easier.

Yeah that's basically what I have, although the LED is completely useless.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Love the color combo but god damned that sister has seen some poo poo!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Referring back to the previous topic of dudes being weird about miniatures...

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hive fleet thicc

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Love the color combo but god damned that sister has seen some poo poo!

Lmao yeah, but I suppose it is the grim darkness of war :hmmyes: it's funny too because I swear last night her face looked way better, but I think the paint being a little too thin made it not dry correctly

I do think the color scheme is coming together really nice though

Thank you for the tips! Definitely going to look into a magnifier, I was thinking of getting one that can just sit on my desk with a nice ring light built in

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Somehow it's a lot more splotchy than I remember it looking before I set it down to fully dry over night! I wonder if I should let it dry longer before doing my second coat, the "ultimate guide to painting" video I watched before I started as one last tutorial said that like 5 minutes between coats was enough, then to let it dry after but perhaps that wasn't quite right or I didn't follow the timer enough?

To pick out on this part, and I'm not sure if your post and the video you watched were intended to contrast specific or just acrylic paints in general - BUT - unless you are specifically aiming for a technique that involves mixing wet paint on the model, you don't want to be putting a second coat or different coat of anything on a model until the first layer is dry. If the colors are the same the second coat can leave brushstrokes in the first coat, if they are different colors you can get some color mixing (which can be good if that's what you want).

Continue to play and learn with how thin your paint should be as that obviously will effect drying time too, but in general if you don't think it's dry then it's probably not.

edit: I would say try a good lighting setup before deciding if you need magnification or not but I suppose if you can return the magnifier then nothing's lost but time if you decide you don't like it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

To pick out on this part, and I'm not sure if your post and the video you watched were intended to contrast specific or just acrylic paints in general - BUT - unless you are specifically aiming for a technique that involves mixing wet paint on the model, you don't want to be putting a second coat or different coat of anything on a model until the first layer is dry. If the colors are the same the second coat can leave brushstrokes in the first coat, if they are different colors you can get some color mixing (which can be good if that's what you want).

Continue to play and learn with how thin your paint should be as that obviously will effect drying time too, but in general if you don't think it's dry then it's probably not.

edit: I would say try a good lighting setup before deciding if you need magnification or not but I suppose if you can return the magnifier then nothing's lost but time if you decide you don't like it.

Was a squidmar miniatures video, he was saying that in reference to non contrast paint. It did seem pretty dry when I got back to it after blocking out the other stuff, checking it with my gloved finger, but maybe I'll give it a little extra drying time just in case next time since I'm not really in a hurry! It likely helped that I'm not very fast at painting, so by the time I got back to the first part I painted it was probably like 10+ minutes between coats

Good advice on the magnification piece. The lighting in my craft area is pretty bad currently, so that's probably the biggest thing to take care of. It's got super warm lights in there right now which isn't ideal for painting at night

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The coverage definitely didn't look so bad last night! I guess as the paint shrank, it pulled back from some of the spots that I had it on since it was a little bit too water-y

great first coat, now you cover it in ink

when it dries, go in and touch up your coverage with really watered down paint

then go in and find the things that need accent painting - the eagle on the pauldron, the bolter furniture (not the barrel or other parts) and do those.

then bust out slightly lighter versions of all the colours (or add white) and do some edge highlighting, or very very delicate dry brushing to bring out some detail

:)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
That sister looks good, Weird Pumpkin. Some washes like nuln oil and druchi violet will do wonders.

You can paint faces if you really want to; you can also just put some wash like reikland fleshshade, seraphim sepia, or agrax earthshade in the eyes and call it a day.

Remember your mini will be seen most of the time from three feet away!

coelomate posted:

War Dog Karnivores in stock at GW US this morning, just purchased 2 boxes!

edit: may be out of stock again. Brigands showed up for a while yesterday, may be worth keeping an eye on it. Stock coming and going?

I’ve signed up for restock emails on every piece, got nothing. Booo

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

War Dogs are still in stock at GW UK, and given the conversion rate are only $67 instead of $90 MSRP.

I know GW and their resellers don't do international shipping, but is there a forwarding service or something folks use in these desperate times?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

War Dogs are still in stock at GW UK, and given the conversion rate are only $67 instead of $90 MSRP.

I know GW and their resellers don't do international shipping, but is there a forwarding service or something folks use in these desperate times?

Finally, Brexit pays off for someone.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Honestly? This doesn't look too bad as base coats. Basically do what Tangy Zizzle said next. Hit it with some washes, then go over it again in the base coat, leaving the darker shade in the recesses, then you can decide how to move on from there.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

That’s a fabulous mini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rantmo posted:

Yeah that's basically what I have, although the LED is completely useless.

Why? Washes out the color?