Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

trashy owl posted:

It's me, almost nobody! Just barely a somebody.

Very few people have no covid *and* no vaccine. And pretty sure we've all inhaled *some* virus at this point. Just not enough to get a real infection going.

So very hard to get a real, honest "baseline" anymore for efficacy comparisons. poo poo, its hard to establish even a homogenous sample of any kind for studies going forward. Maybe they should just measure the level of antibodies at the start of the study (but against which variant??).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Baddog posted:

Very few people have no covid *and* no vaccine. And pretty sure we've all inhaled *some* virus at this point. Just not enough to get a real infection going.

So very hard to get a real, honest "baseline" anymore for efficacy comparisons. poo poo, its hard to establish even a homogenous sample of any kind for studies going forward. Maybe they should just measure the level of antibodies at the start of the study (but against which variant??).

Oh that's fair I did get the initial vaccine series and the first booster round. My spouse is immunocompromised so we rarely go out and when we do we are always masked up. No slips to drink water or whatever, we plan around excursions. Since there is no sterilizing vaccine we haven't gotten more shots, especially with how short the "window of protection" has proven to be. Possible to live a cool, good, happy, and fulfilling life without taking chances. Doubt there's any protection left from those vaccine series and while they weren't the actual virus, maybe the immune system has a sort of "cold storage".

Apologies for misunderstanding :)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i got a weeks worth of posts to catch up on but wanted to post some observations before i play catch up

so i got covid at the end of august, knocked me out for 48+ hours, but thank you based paxlovid x2 and no rebound i cleared it within a week
tried to exercise, lol no, rested for 3 weeks and this week i was able to do poo poo i used to do, just at a slower pace.

the past weeks of talking with family friends that run and others in the running community lol the loving horror stories from covid infections they opened up to me upon hearing that i recently recovered from covid. these are people i've talked to on a regular basis for years, but only now do they tell me, the only loving guy still masking, how bad covid hit them. i never knew that any of them had covid prior.

"it took me about 2 years to finally feel back to normal" "i was in the hospital for about a week" "i had to cancel all my races last year" "i posted on strava about an injury, but really post covid i just couldn't run"

:rubby:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tzen posted:

the past weeks of talking with family friends that run and others in the running community lol the loving horror stories from covid infections they opened up to me upon hearing that i recently recovered from covid. these are people i've talked to on a regular basis for years, but only now do they tell me, the only loving guy still masking, how bad covid hit them. i never knew that any of them had covid prior.

You're one of them now. The covidyceps will settle in any day now.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yup, one of my longtime coworkers and friends broke down and told me how badly his last infection hosed him up and I’m not going to judge the guy for getting sick, we’re in a sea of misinformation and he has two kids in school.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was at the Underworld show and barely anyone was masking. I saw one guy with an N95 and went over to him to point at my mask give a thumbs up. Mask gang

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

12 hours after booster: my joints are sore and I am very cold. first reaction this bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I dropped by the supermarket and was surprised by the number of people masking, seemed quite a bit higher than previous weeks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Ive had the same ‘oh yeah, I had covid, I ran out of sick leave and had to put my rent on the credit card’ conversations or whatever with people. always in casual conversation about other things then it comes up that ‘oh yeah I haven’t rode my bike to work in a year since covid because I can’t’

it’s so easy to walk around not knowing how many people get seriously sick. its like this weird ‘I don’t talk about it because it makes people uncomfortable’ thing

came up during union bargaining last week, talking about kids, and a woman volunteered that her child hasn’t been to school at all this year because he keeps getting sick

the attitude is almost always stoic. ‘well, what are you gonna do???’

it’s everywhere, but no one wants to talk about it. Americans and their fear of looking weak

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s clear the government is going to do nothing . what can you do ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tzen posted:

"it took me about 2 years to finally feel back to normal" "i was in the hospital for about a week" "i had to cancel all my races last year" "i posted on strava about an injury, but really post covid i just couldn't run"

That one play where all the people are turning to rhinoceroses, but they don’t like being rhinoceroses, but they won’t tell you that till you’re also a rhinoceros, and they’re capable of communicating and choose not to.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

12 hours after booster: my joints are sore and I am very cold. first reaction this bad.

trip report 3: just puked for the first time in years. new slut juice got hands.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

RandolphCarter posted:

trip report 3: just puked for the first time in years. new slut juice got hands.

drat that's bad, drink some water get back to bed and sleep a bit more, call out from work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

it’s clear the government is going to do nothing .

this but about anything ever again. Sorry, you're on your own

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That one play where all the people are turning to rhinoceroses, but they don’t like being rhinoceroses, but they won’t tell you that till you’re also a rhinoceros, and they’re capable of communicating and choose not to.

Apr 7, 2003

NPR had a 'how to act when you return to the office' segment a few days ago and they were saying "don't be a downer", eg don't talk about covid or being sick. lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

lol that dude is confusing the black plague with the Spanish flu.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

NPR had a 'how to act when you return to the office' segment a few days ago and they were saying "don't be a downer", eg don't talk about covid or being sick. lmao

I think it’s that, and also “don’t tell your colleagues how much you wanna wring your useless CEOs neck for ordering you back to the grindstone” coz that leads to bad things such as people realizing they are being shafted and organization of labor and other such nasties.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Oracle posted:

lol that dude is confusing the black plague with the Spanish flu.

Confusing the common summer flu with the endemic plague.

Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Confusing the common summer flu with the endemic plague.

The Disney Flu

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paxlovid finished 36 hours ago. I have the smallest possible amount of gunk in the post-nasal spot but it's hardly even a noticeable symptom if I wasn't being hyperaware.

If it's Covid, get Paxlovid.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Plague Island doubling down on the brand.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/29/parents-in-england-urged-to-ensure-children-get-mmr-vaccine-amid-uptake-drop posted:

Parents in England urged to ensure children get MMR jab amid uptake drop
MMR vaccination levels at lowest since 2010-11, figures show, with uptake of other key jabs also too low

Parents are being urged to get their children vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) after a “worrying” drop in uptake of key vaccines.

Figures from NHS England and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) show 92.5% of children had had the first dose of the MMR jab at five years old by 2022-23, the lowest since 2010-11.

The proportion of five-year-olds who had had the second jab by 2022-23 was 84.5%, also the lowest level since 2010-11.

Vaccination programmes across England failed to meet the uptake recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) for the year 2022-23. WHO recommends that, nationally, at least 95% of children should be inoculated for diseases that can be stopped by vaccines, in order to prevent outbreaks.

NHS data showed no routine vaccine programme met the threshold during the 12-month period. Dr Gayatri Amirthalingam, a consultant medical epidemiologist at UKHSA, said the downward trend was a “serious concern”.
(..)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

trashy owl posted:

Oh that's fair I did get the initial vaccine series and the first booster round. My spouse is immunocompromised so we rarely go out and when we do we are always masked up. No slips to drink water or whatever, we plan around excursions. Since there is no sterilizing vaccine we haven't gotten more shots, especially with how short the "window of protection" has proven to be. Possible to live a cool, good, happy, and fulfilling life without taking chances. Doubt there's any protection left from those vaccine series and while they weren't the actual virus, maybe the immune system has a sort of "cold storage".

Apologies for misunderstanding :)

no apology necessary, also, good for you and thank you for looking out for your spouse :)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Case study out on the UK BA.2.86.1 care home outbreak:
"High attack rate in a large care home outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86, East of England, August 2023"

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2023.28.39.2300489 posted:

(..)
Overall, 33 of 38 residents tested positive by LFD or PCR (AR = 87%), of whom 19 were symptomatic (Figure 1, Table 1). Four resident cases recorded low oxygen saturation and nine required healthcare attendance (GP consultation or ambulance attendance) including one resident who was hospitalised overnight. Two resident cases died within 16 days of symptom onset; these deaths were considered unrelated to COVID-19 and occurred after their COVID-19 symptoms resolved. No cases were eligible for antiviral treatment, but two residents were prescribed antibiotics for suspected secondary infections. By 13 September (24 days after the outbreak started), 17 symptomatic residents had recovered, with none still unwell. Thirteen symptomatic residents had recovered within 14 days of symptom onset.
(..)

(..)
The AR in this setting was substantially higher than that seen in nine UK care homes that experienced outbreaks in December 2021 to January 2022; the early period in which the Omicron variant circulated in the UK (23%) [13], although it was similar to one care home outbreak during early circulation of the Delta variant (82%) [14]. This suggests high transmissibility, although enhanced testing was undertaken in this outbreak specifically because of the reported high number of cases. Therefore, the AR observed is subject to selection bias and may not be typical of all care home outbreaks involving the BA.2.86 variant as the AR in care homes may vary due to a range of factors [2].

The hospitalisation rate among residents was lower than that reported in care home outbreaks during early circulation of the Omicron variant in December 2021 to January 2022 (11%) [13] and Delta variants (17%) [14]. Although the care home reported that the symptoms had a greater impact on the day-to-day life of residents and staff compared with their previous outbreaks, it is reassuring that there was no notable increase in the most severe outcomes of hospitalisation and death associated with BA.2.86 [13,14]. Nonetheless, hospitalisation rates in care homes are very context-dependent, therefore these comparisons may not be generalisable to other settings.

The high vaccination rate in the care home and lack of substantial vaccine effect against infection in this outbreak 4 months after a booster dose suggests notable immune evasion. This is not unexpected as we have seen rapid waning of VE against infection and mild disease with other vaccines and previous Omicron subvariants [15]. While the numbers were too small for any precise assessment of VE, the point estimate against symptomatic infection 4 months after a dose was similar to that observed with previous Omicron variants [16]. With previous variants, VE against severe disease resulting in hospitalisation has been considerably higher than against infection, and this is likely to also be the case with BA.2.86 [17].

Statistical assessment indicated that the LFD predominantly used in this outbreak had non-inferior sensitivity to detect BA.2.86 compared with previous SARS-CoV-2 Omicron strains [12]. However, LFD performance tends to be strongly associated with viral load, and stratified analysis of a larger sample would provide a more unbiased comparison.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Leana Wen smartly suggesting isolation guidelines should be made into a decision tree to alleviate confusion :shepface:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/28/cdc-isolation-guidance-covid-protection/ posted:

The Checkup With Dr. Wen: The CDC needs to change its covid guidance

The end-of-summer increase in covid-19 infections has brought renewed attention to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s isolation guidance. These outdated recommendations must be revised, as they disincentivize testing, sow confusion and fail to achieve the most important objective of protecting vulnerable individuals.
(..)
To me, the most compelling reason for the CDC to change its recommendations is that they are not being followed, even by conscientious people.
(..)
Adding to the challenge of interpreting the current guidance is that it only applies to people who are asymptomatic or who have mild symptoms. Those with moderate illness — defined as any shortness of breath — are supposed to isolate for a full 10 days. Once again, this adds to complexity and is not likely followed by much of the public.

I think the recommendations can be simplified by shifting the focus from a blanket isolation policy for any individuals with covid to tailored guidance based on who these individuals interact with.
(..)
The Biden administration recently announced it will issue another round of free covid-19 home tests. That’s terrific, and I hope people take advantage of them. Those vulnerable to severe outcomes should take tests if they are symptomatic because they need early antiviral treatment if they are infected. And those around these high-risk individuals should have ample tests to help prevent transmitting the virus to their loved ones.

Accepting that covid-19 is endemic requires adjusting our approach to it. The path forward must emphasize safeguarding the vulnerable while minimizing societal disruption. Changing isolation guidance is a crucial component, along with targeting boosters and treatments for high-risk individuals.

Taking it from 2 categories of your own disease course, to a subjective evaluation of the people you will be interacting with's relative risk, is sure to make things less confusing.

Archived link: https://archive.li/MfYHl

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Pillowpants posted:

Wastewater Data

can confirm that covid is tearing through new mexico with abandon

we did better than average with getting folks vaccinated

here’s to hoping we don’t lose too many with the poorest medical infrastructure in the country

Griz
May 21, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

this post has angered the shot as my arm is now sore and stiff. hope it fades before I go back to work tomorrow, I need that muscle to lift poo poo.

i got the shot on Monday and the lymph node in that armpit is still angry. the previous ones weren't nearly this bad

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Pingui posted:

Leana Wen posted:

And those around these high-risk individuals should have ample tests to help prevent transmitting the virus to their loved ones.

Yeah that would be nice, huh! Sure wish we had that!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wens solution seems to be you are on your own, good luck

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

wens solution seems to be you are on your own, good luck

correct, the pandemic was a dry run to test how that message would go and it was a rousing success. expect any and all public policy in the future to follow suit

drunk driving is endemic and all drivers should calibrate their risk tolerance. If you're scared, stay off the roads.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

drunk driving is endemic and all drivers should calibrate their risk tolerance. If you're scared, stay off the roads.

I feel like like we’re going to see the opposite on issues like drunk driving, where we will continue to make more and more laws in the name of more cops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we could make it illegal to have covid ?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

euphronius posted:

we could make it illegal to have covid ?

we do need to fill up that new billion dollar prison in Alabama

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
So I got covid a short while back, due to other people coming to the wife's office while knowing they were sick, and it was pretty rough. First time getting it. I've been getting back to the gym with the help from great folks in this thread that have posted some good advice.

But I had another run-in with covid since, and I just need a place to vent about it.

This week, despite our company being on 'code red' for money, needing to batten down the hatches and not do things like promotions this year... decided that we needed to have an in-person workshop. This included flying people over from Europe.

As a result of this, leadership decided to organize an 'in office day' on Tuesday. I was tasked with running a team meeting, and included in my slides a 'safety moment' about COVID. The basic stuff, don't come in when you get sick, have symptoms, are exposed, etc...

I presented this, and then I started hearing... throughout the day... 'the functional people on floor 2 are having an outbreak of covid'.... 'like 2/3rds of them are out sick after coming in and sharing it'

I decided then that I wouldn't attend the in-person workshop the next day. I made up some excuse about kids not feeling well.

I met with leadership who asked for my feedback on having everyone come to the office...

Guess what happened?

In that 40 person workshop, several people were symptomatic and tested positive for covid. Including travelers from Europe. They sat together for 8 hours Wednesday, hot boxing each others farts and covid particles.

The management that I met with that asked about coming back to the office? Exposed.

You really can't make this up. People are still, STILL, trying to live like covid isn't a thing.

Just let me loving work from home. I've done it since 2020 now, only coming in when absolutely necessary. There were people on the phone in the workshop meeting via teams anyway, so it wasn't like we lost anything from being remote. Paying for a bunch of flights over from the EU while not paying for promotions, certifications, etc this year is also mindblowingly stupid.

Apr 7, 2003

shazbot posted:

I feel like like we’re going to see the opposite on issues like drunk driving, where we will continue to make more and more laws in the name of more cops

There was massive opposition to drunk driving laws, seatbelt laws, etc when they were pushed through over the objections of the general public. There's no way in hell anything like that could happen today.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

There was massive opposition to drunk driving laws, seatbelt laws, etc when they were pushed through over the objections of the general public. There's no way in hell anything like that could happen today.

fox news would have weekly segments where they interview someone who survived a crash cause they were thrown to safety, rather than burning to death trapped by a seatbelt

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

thedavid posted:

So I got covid a short while back, due to other people coming to the wife's office while knowing they were sick, and it was pretty rough. First time getting it. I've been getting back to the gym with the help from great folks in this thread that have posted some good advice.

But I had another run-in with covid since, and I just need a place to vent about it.
(..)
Just let me loving work from home. I've done it since 2020 now, only coming in when absolutely necessary. There were people on the phone in the workshop meeting via teams anyway, so it wasn't like we lost anything from being remote. Paying for a bunch of flights over from the EU while not paying for promotions, certifications, etc this year is also mindblowingly stupid.

How do you expect management to make decisions on promotions lay-offs without being able to inspect people's teeth in person??

But in all seriousness, everything is dumb and getting dumber, best of luck out there and feel free to vent here :respek::unsmith:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Sep 29, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

minimizing societal disruption

Can't stop thinking about this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I feel fortunate that the most I get in RTO pressure is occasional passive aggressive comments about the optics of a hybrid meeting not having many in-person attendees (half of whom had covid in the last month).

Pingui posted:

Plague Island doubling down on the brand.

Speaking of which, I don't remember how I ended up on Sky News but the sidebar recommended an article subtitled: 'A student could "barely walk" after what he thought was freshers' flu turned out to be meningitis.'. A mild lol at "fresher's flu" and a healthy :stonk: at meningitis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Richard Stallman has cancer. lymphoma? could it be connected to post-covid immune theft?

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37699931

what da gently caress

https://bjgp.org/content/73/728/109

Enlargement of axillary, supraclavicular, or cervical lymph nodes following vaccination with COVID-19 mRNA vaccines is more frequent than initially reported, with a rate reaching up to 16% following the second dose of the Moderna mRNA vaccine. Although vaccine-related lymphadenopathy is most often a benign, self-resolving phenomenon, a few cases or B-cell- or T-cell-derived lymphoma were reported in the literature. There are also reports of clinico-pathological features suggestive of lymphoma but which ultimately proved to be caused by a non- malignant condition such as Epstein–Barr infection, extrapulmonary tuberculosis, or histiocytic necrotising lymphadenitis (Kikuchi‒Fujimoto disease). So far, these isolated observations did not receive much attention in the medical community as the causal relationship with the vaccine administration was not established. On the other hand, they raise concerns in the lay public, especially among patients with similar experiences.

https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/59/1/157

We report on a 66-year-old man who presented with a right axillary lymphadenopathy approximately 10 days after receiving the third dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine. The lymphadenopathy gradually enlarged, and physical examination and ultrasound (US) revealed one right axillary 6.99 cm and one right supraclavicular 2.36 cm lymphadenopathy. Histologic examination of the right axillary nodule revealed anaplastic large-cell lymphoma that was ALK negative and CD30 positive. A total body computerized tomography (CT) scan, positron emission tomography (PET) and bone-marrow biopsy showed a stage-II non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). The patient was treated with chemotherapy and a scheme of Brentuximab Vedotin, Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin and Prednisone (BV-CHP) for six cycles and is now well and in complete remission. The revision of the literature revealed eight additional cases of NHL developed shortly after COVID-vaccination. There were four cases of diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) (one in a patient who was a heart transplant recipient and developed an Epstein–Bar-virus-positive DLBCL), one case of extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, one patient with subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma, one case of marginal zone B-cell lymphoma and one primary cutaneous anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (PC-ALCL). In five cases, the lymphoma developed after BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination, including one case after ChAdOx1 nCOV-19, one case after the adenovirus type 26 (Ad26) vaccine and one after mRNA-1273/Spikevax (ModernaTX). We are aware that the link between COVID-19 vaccination and lymphoma most likely is a chance phenomenon, and that COVID-19 vaccines represent very efficient products for many people around the world. However, we believe that clinical events, even if only temporally associated with novel treatments or novel vaccines, should be reported for the benefit of the patients and the scientific community.

there seems to be at least a half dozen unique pathways where SARS-2 covid wrecks immune regulation. bone marrow, stem cells

https://libguides.mskcc.org/CovidImpacts/Immune

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/severe-covid-19-may-lead-long-term-innate-immune-system-changes

In these rare stem cells—the parents of immune-system cells—taken from people recovering from COVID-19, the scientists identified changes in the instructions for which genes got turned on or off. These changes were passed down to daughter cells, leading them to boost production of immune cells called monocytes. In the monocytes from people recovering from severe COVID-19, the changes in gene expression led the cells to pump out greater amounts of molecules called inflammatory cytokines than monocytes from people who were healthy or had non-COVID-19 illnesses. The researchers observed these changes as much as a year after the participants came down with COVID-19.

The investigators suspected that an inflammatory cytokine called IL-6 might play role in establishing the changes in gene-expression instructions. They tested their hypothesis both in mice with COVID-19-like disease and in people with COVID-19. In these experiments, some of the subjects received antibodies at the early stage of illness that prevented IL-6 from binding to cells. During recovery, these mice and people had lower levels of altered stem cell gene-expression instructions, monocyte production and inflammatory cytokine production than subjects that didn’t receive the antibody.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.719023/full

:ohdear: