Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Really the only way to escalate after the Egg Bowl Incident. Can't wait to see what's next.

Which college coach will have a piss tape first, and if not Hugh Freeze then whom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The computers still exist if you want to see what stupid poo poo they output

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Congrats to national champs Bama

Boy this guy is apparently really upset about Indiana firing Dane Fife from his assistant coach role!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

There will never be a perfect system when your league has 133 teams in it. Div 1 is simply far too large to every have a perfectly satisfactory system of schedules and playoffs. You can't have this much money be on the line and not expect teams, coaches, and players to not try and take every advantage possible. Cupcake schedules, coaches moving in the dead of night, players transferring, etc.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m still laughing about ND only trotting out ten defenders with the game on the line. Twice in a row.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Mega64 posted:

Also all my team's losses were because they were caught on bad days.

I mean it’s kind of true. There are a heck of a lot of teams that, on their very best day, could go toe to toe with a legit top 10 team. More than 25 of them for sure.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mega64 posted:

Also all my team's losses were because they were caught on bad days.

Any Tulane loss this year or last was due to injury.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LeeMajors posted:

I’m still laughing about ND only trotting out ten defenders with the game on the line. Twice in a row.

They ran a play with 10 and got burned against TN State too except it didn’t matter. The warning signs were there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Academic standards my rear end

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
well the coaches don't have to go to class

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just want to bring to everyone's attention that Kansas is currently ranked No. 24. Texas is playing No. 24 Kansas at home this weekend.

Teams lose to ranked teams all the time. No shame in losing to a ranked team really.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 28, 2023

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

I mean it’s kind of true. There are a heck of a lot of teams that, on their very best day, could go toe to toe with a legit top 10 team. More than 25 of them for sure.

I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like a ranked team favored by 10 or more points only wins about 75% of the time, implying college football results are about 50% random, outside factors. We then pretend these small sample sizes of one game determine anything about who is better.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

LeeMajors posted:

I'm just happy this is what people will talk about now when they talk about a team blowing a game because they only had 10 players on defense. Twice.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Somehow I get the feeling that that win rate is heavily influenced by the significant churn in the bottom half of the rankings, where the line between ranked and unranked can be as slim as one guy ranked you 24 that was enough to keep you from being 26.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LeeMajors posted:

look, it's not like their coach is some defensive genius

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Just like when they're dancing, gotta save space for the holy spirit.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
SHSU and Jacksonville State about to head into overtime. Has been an entertaining second half.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If ref re-tosses the coin, shouldn’t captain have the opportunity to re-call?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

News(?): Apparently Mel Tucker is planning to sue Michigan State over his firing.

Views: Somebody please call Ty Beard and tell him a disgraced college football coach in Michigan needs his :airquote:"legal":airquote: :airquote:"""services""":airquote: right away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

News(?): Apparently Mel Tucker is planning to sue Michigan State over his firing.

Views: Somebody please call Ty Beard and tell him a disgraced college football coach in Michigan needs his :airquote:"legal":airquote: :airquote:"""services""":airquote: right away.

He's been planning this all along once stuff came out but it's hard to see him winning to me (not a lawyer obviously). Like, there's a lot of self admitted stuff that doesn't seem like something a person should do that was addressed in his contract?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just cannot fathom the rocks on that man trying to sue anyone after all the poo poo he got busted for. I hope it blows up and backfires on him in the most hilarious and life-ruiningly embarassing ways possible.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I. M. Gei posted:

I just cannot fathom the rocks on that man trying to sue anyone after all the poo poo he got busted for. I hope it blows up and backfires on him in the most hilarious and life-ruiningly embarassing ways possible.

It’s about trying to make it a pain in the rear end and force a settlement so he can get some of the buyout money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

It’s about trying to make it a pain in the rear end and force a settlement so he can get some of the buyout money.

As Richard Johnson of SZD/Sports Illustrated has said a couple times on the podcast, there’s a lot of numbers between $0 and $75 million.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

harperdc posted:

As Richard Johnson of SZD/Sports Illustrated has said a couple times on the podcast, there’s a lot of numbers between $0 and $75 million.

What is it he has to lose at this point? His dignity? Lawyer fees would be a simple ROI calculation at this point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

drewhead posted:

What is it he has to lose at this point? His dignity? Lawyer fees would be a simple ROI calculation at this point.

It’s prob a gamble on the courts telling him to pound sand if MSU decides to fight it, but he’s rich enough already to make that gamble.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah there doesn't seem to be a lot of downside to him for fighting to get as much of that buyout as he can. I don't think anyone is clamoring to hire Mel Tucker right now.

He seems to be sub-Saban rebuilding tour level at the moment at least. But the future always holds possibilities and it's better to get there with money from his point of view. I hope he never coaches again obviously, but, well we're college football fans and we know how it goes.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Judging by the typos in his lawyers demand letter he went bargain basement, so that's some savings. Would be funny if he lost so badly on this frivolous lawsuit that he had to pay msus attorney fees, not that msu deserves anything either.

I don't see a suit where you admit to all of the bad behavior as being very strong. At most I can see msu paying him less than they'd expect to pay their lawyers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

He's been planning this all along once stuff came out but it's hard to see him winning to me (not a lawyer obviously). Like, there's a lot of self admitted stuff that doesn't seem like something a person should do that was addressed in his contract?

If their relationship was entirely consensual and she never filed a complaint but he got caught anyway he would still be in violation of his contract and really a violation at pretty much any workplace in the country.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
It's possible that he's un-hirable and this is the last money he can actually make. We've stepped up the game when it comes to back-balling coaches and sex pest seems like a case for that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

kayakyakr posted:

It's possible that he's un-hirable and this is the last money he can actually make. We've stepped up the game when it comes to back-balling coaches and sex pest seems like a case for that.

He’ll be the next head coach at Baylor

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tucker doesn’t have any slimy in-laws I should worry about OU hiring, does he? :ohdear:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wasn't sure if I should put this in here or the coaching carousel thread, but apparently today is the ten-year anniversary of Lane Kiffin getting fired from USC on the tarmac.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A joyous Lane Kiffin Day to those that celebrate

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Warbird posted:

A joyous Lane Kiffin Day to those that celebrate

nice to know some keep the old traditions still

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Lane Kiffin being left on the tarmac is a great moment in B1G history

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

C-Euro posted:

Wasn't sure if I should put this in here or the coaching carousel thread, but apparently today is the ten-year anniversary of Lane Kiffin getting fired from USC on the tarmac.

great read

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Except for the super fan. Who cares about this dude. Came off really douchey

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Yeah that was stupid

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

And a merry FIRE LANE Kiffin to you all!

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I'm just happy this is what people will talk about now when they talk about a team blowing a game because they only had 10 players on defense. Twice.

That Florida loss is seared into my brain...

Go Cayuts

Beat gators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

A "Lane Kiffin owned a Blockbuster" sign showing up on some random GameDay the week after he was fired (checks notes: at the Ohio State/Northwestern game!) is still one of my heartiest GameDay-related chuckles, up there with "aw gently caress it" and "not so fast, midget"