Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always thought the Krakoan's justification of "If humanity was going to do it, why didn't they do it already? It's within their means" held water pretty well. And unlike Krakoa, Arrako pretty clearly doesn't have a no-humans-allowed policy, even if it's a bit more hostile in the general sense

I wonder if there's a timeline where Krakoa was not headlined by several of worst mutants ever to live, where humanity started cooperating more in order to compete with mutants, but in a less genocidal way than Orchis does it
Yeah, like, Captain America's regret makes sense... but it's Captain America saying it, and even he wasn't like NO!! OUR PLANET!! NO!!!!

Did anyone else hear that one line from Sauron? In fact, has Sauron shown up in the X-books at all, given his deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sauron was in X-Men Green.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always thought the Krakoan's justification of "If humanity was going to do it, why didn't they do it already? It's within their means" held water pretty well. And unlike Krakoa, Arrako pretty clearly doesn't have a no-humans-allowed policy, even if it's a bit more hostile in the general sense

I wonder if there's a timeline where Krakoa was not headlined by several of worst mutants ever to live, where humanity started cooperating more in order to compete with mutants, but in a less genocidal way than Orchis does it

Yeah, but, this is important, who is Krakoa putting forwards as part of its leading council when it shows up? Magneto? Apocalypse? Mr. Sinister? Emma Frost? Its a bad look.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Ultimate invasion 4 sucked. What the hell did this comic even have to do with the Ultimate Universe? It’s just yet another “Flashpoint” multiverse what if bullshit that have become a dime a dozen.

Hickmans luster seems to have faded out

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

90sgamer posted:

Ultimate invasion 4 sucked. What the hell did this comic even have to do with the Ultimate Universe? It’s just yet another “Flashpoint” multiverse what if bullshit that have become a dime a dozen.

I mean it was always branded as a new Ultimate Universe. Although granted it doesn’t really feel like a new ‘World Outside Your Window’ that was promised, given how Maker reshaped the world.

It’s worth remembering that it was likely meant to be Cates’ project before his accident, Hickman came in to fill in.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fivemarks posted:

Yeah, but, this is important, who is Krakoa putting forwards as part of its leading council when it shows up? Magneto? Apocalypse? Mr. Sinister? Emma Frost? Its a bad look.

Magneto, I think, is somewhat justified - he might be a known terrorist, but he's also a charismatic leader, and he's always been honest about his goals and positions. And he was recognized as the leader of Genosha by the UN, so arguably he's got the most authority to speak for mutantkind on the world stage.

I don't see any reason why people would be concerned about Emma Frost - we know she used to be a villain, but I don't think that's common knowledge on Marvel Earth, and if you're going to have a spokesperson, a young, attractive woman with connections to high society is a pretty good choice.

As for Apocalypse and Sinister - do people actually know who they are in general? I mean, the names aren't great, but I can't remember any times they were publicly causing problems. They're both kinda behind-the-scenes schemers.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I mean, there was that time Apocalypse let the Horsemen loose on New York and the farm belt and they tore up the place if nothing else. I don't think Sinister is really so high profile though, only other mutants know who he is and what he's responsible for.

Emma's probably been an X-Man as long as she was a bad guy at this point, and again, the Hellfire Club weren't into committing atrocities publicly, they were more subtle in their shenanigans.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

90sgamer posted:

It's funny because while I enjoyed the first issue of Immortal Thor, I wasn't really convinced that it was going to live up to the standard that Immortal Hulk set

But the second issue has me convinced. Even though it's a profoundly different type of story. Ewing does what Hickman't I guess

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Angry Salami posted:

Magneto, I think, is somewhat justified - he might be a known terrorist, but he's also a charismatic leader, and he's always been honest about his goals and positions. And he was recognized as the leader of Genosha by the UN, so arguably he's got the most authority to speak for mutantkind on the world stage.

I don't see any reason why people would be concerned about Emma Frost - we know she used to be a villain, but I don't think that's common knowledge on Marvel Earth, and if you're going to have a spokesperson, a young, attractive woman with connections to high society is a pretty good choice.

As for Apocalypse and Sinister - do people actually know who they are in general? I mean, the names aren't great, but I can't remember any times they were publicly causing problems. They're both kinda behind-the-scenes schemers.

One might say that Magneto has a magnetic personality.

As for Apocalypse… he’s called Apocalypse

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

should be a criminal case of false advertising that van dyne never wears the outfit she has on the covers of avengers inc 1 in the book itself

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Krakoa was basically an exercise in "let's unite literally all mutants, everywhere, working together in the name of our survival as a people."

It failed because, well, it turns out mutants aren't a people. Having the X-gene doesn't make you "on the same side" as somebody else who has it, and it isn't better to have Mr. Sinister on the inside pissing out, because he is a dedicated and vigorous omni-pisser.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's like when Nazis are flabbergasted that other white people are not Nazis

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Krakoa also failed because a giant globe-spanning supervillain fascist organization lead by a genocidal super-AI from the future and another AI who is the last weapon humanity will ever build blew it the hell up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wiegieman posted:

Krakoa also failed because a giant globe-spanning supervillain fascist organization lead by a genocidal super-AI from the future and another AI who is the last weapon humanity will ever build blew it the hell up.
In this local diner, all they can agree is that both sides share blame.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

No I think it was just the big robot chaos dunking it from orbit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

wiegieman posted:

True, I think it would have landed better if Fall of X had a better causal link between all the fault lines running through Krakoa and the way ORCHIS took them out so easily in a single night.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When are they going back to New York?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Do we really have to regress?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gripweed posted:

They've been there for 2 years now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

90sgamer posted:

Do we really have to regress?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're already there

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rand Brittain posted:

Krakoa was basically an exercise in "let's unite literally all mutants, everywhere, working together in the name of our survival as a people."

It failed because, well, it turns out mutants aren't a people. Having the X-gene doesn't make you "on the same side" as somebody else who has it, and it isn't better to have Mr. Sinister on the inside pissing out, because he is a dedicated and vigorous omni-pisser.

That's the fun thing though, it's the same as basically anything else. You could have a society consisting exclusively of genetically identical fools and they'd come up with arbitrary reasons to have beef.

Which will probably be how Orchis falls apart ultimately, too considering it consists of
1) A guy whose goal is to basically keep humanity the way it is
2) A handful of AI who want to kill off all mutants and then keep the remaining homo sapiens in a terrarium
3) A bunch of mutants who just want money and power
4) A small army of super scientists who are dead set on doing hosed up super science and see mutants as a self-perpetuating source of valuable samples
5) Moira
6) Pink Capitalist with parental issues
7) Regular old original recipe anti-mutant bigots

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They've been there for 2 years now

Codependent Poster posted:

They're already there

lol. Did they rebuild the mansion again?

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Gripweed posted:

Nope, Cyclops reformed the X-men as a team for public heroing outside of Krakoa. They grew a tree house in Central Park to serve as their base of operations and center for PR outreach.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

No they grew a tree

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
New Cover And Interior Artwork From Jonathan Hickman And Stefano Caselli's 'Ultimate Universe' #1

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/new-cover-artwork-jonathan-hickman-stefano-caselli-ultimate-universe

quote:

"What made the Ultimate Universe originally really interesting was that it was a reflection of the world outside your window, in the moment that you were living in. What does it look like in the world we’re living in now?" Hickman said. "It’s kind of shocking how much the world has changed in that period of time. The idea of what it would be like to see the genesis of Super Heroes in a brand new world is a really fascinating exercise."

Where the gently caress is scarlet witch and quicksilver?

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 30, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

90sgamer posted:

Where the gently caress is scarlet witch and quicksilver?

Fuckin’

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hickman, bro, you're going to have to do something phenomenal to get me to care about another Ultimate universe, and right now I'm not feeling anything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hickman posted:

"What made the Ultimate Universe originally really interesting was that it was a reflection of the world outside your window, in the moment that you were living in. What does it look like in the world we’re living in now?"

Isn't that the regular Marvel universe? The Marvel universe that was already literally outside Marvel's windows in Manhattan that the writers and artists depicted?

For me the appeal of the original Ultimates was that it was a low-stakes, zero-continuity reimagining and jumping on point for the Avengers in a slick art style that felt less like a house comicbook style and more like a big budget action movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobok posted:

Isn't that the regular Marvel universe? The Marvel universe that was already literally outside Marvel's windows in Manhattan that the writers and artists depicted?

For me the appeal of the original Ultimates was that it was a low-stakes, zero-continuity reimagining and jumping on point for the Avengers in a slick art style that felt less like a house comicbook style and more like a big budget action movie.

Have they explained what this new Ultimate thing is yet? Is it going to be multiple ongoing series like the old Ultimate thing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

90sgamer posted:

New Cover And Interior Artwork From Jonathan Hickman And Stefano Caselli's 'Ultimate Universe' #1

quote:

"What made the Ultimate Universe originally really interesting was that it was a reflection of the world outside your window, in the moment that you were living in. What does it look like in the world we’re living in now?" Hickman said

The X-Men wage wars on Twitter with bots called Sentinels

Ant-Man does an AMA on Reddit then quits 15 minutes in when he's plagued with questions about blowing up villains by crawling in their asses.

Every hero has to commute to fight battles because living in NYC is too expensive

e: Gwenpool now makes long video essays about how the old Ultimate U was better

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

Have they explained what this new Ultimate thing is yet? Is it going to be multiple ongoing series like the old Ultimate thing?

Yes.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lobok posted:

Have you picked up a 616 comic recently? The quality has been declining especially the spidey books. There’s the occasional good writer like Al Ewing but in general it’s not what it was ten years ago

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK I read a summary of the latest issue of Ultimate Universe and this seems like the exact opposite of a new self-contained universe open to new readers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is it weird that at this point I feel the best thing they could do with the X-Men and Mutants in general in 616 would be to just get rid of all of them for good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

90sgamer posted:

Have you picked up a 616 comic recently? The quality has been declining especially the spidey books. There’s the occasional good writer like Al Ewing but in general it’s not what it was ten years ago

If that's your reason for trying Ultimate then that's fine but I'm saying if Marvel knows why the original Ultimates was cool or how to market a new one they don't seem to be showing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

drrockso20 posted:

Is it weird that at this point I feel the best thing they could do with the X-Men and Mutants in general in 616 would be to just get rid of all of them for good

Yes, that's weird.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Lobok posted:

yes, but by the time the ultimate universe rolled around i think it was fair to say the mainline universe no longer felt that way and the ultimate one did, for better or worse

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Gologle posted:

Hickman, bro, you're going to have to do something phenomenal to get me to care about another Ultimate universe, and right now I'm not feeling anything.

The main thrust of the new ultimate universe beyond The Maker altering the timeline is that there is an oligarchy of ultra rich technocrats, royals, and businessmen that are continuing to consolidate power while the masses suffer. They make deals with each other to have one nation play the adversarial “Rogue state” every generation to keep the population distracted so they aren’t able to focus and stand up to the powerful. At the end of the mini, things are starting to fall apart so this “Illuminati” of sorts decides it’s time to really go for a power grab and just take over and divey up what’s left of America

It’s pretty high concept stuff and just as the original incarnation of the Ultimate Universe was about the post-9/11 world this version is all the extreme class warfare and income inequality that has been exposed post-Covid-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

90sgamer posted:

The main thrust of the new ultimate universe beyond The Maker altering the timeline is that there is an oligarchy of ultra rich technocrats, royals, and businessmen that are continuing to consolidate power while the masses suffer. They make deals with each other to have one nation play the adversarial “Rogue state” every generation to keep the population distracted so they aren’t able to focus and stand up to the powerful. At the end of the mini, things are starting to fall apart so this “Illuminati” of sorts decides it’s time to really go for a power grab and just take over and divey up what’s left of America

It’s pretty high concept stuff and just as the original incarnation of the Ultimate Universe was about the post-9/11 world this version is all the extreme class warfare and income inequality that has been exposed post-Covid-19

What you described sort of sounds like East of West. It just makes me miss Dragotta drawing Spiderman the few times he got to. Had a great retro Hanna-Barbera vibe to it.