Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There are tempered glass chair mats that should work on hard floors and not look awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

:siren:
Herman Miller Promo Code: PERKSPOT
  • 20% off
  • Expires tomorrow (September 5), I think
:siren:

Thank you goons on the previous page for the HOT TIP. I just spent much moneys on a nice chair and saved much moneys thanks to the discount.

TenementFunster posted:

god help me for what i am about to do

Feels good :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday I completed a 12 hour round trip to Chicago to pick up a 2008 Steelcase Leap V2 with original leather upholstery. And to get pizza. Actually, it was mostly for the pizza, the chair was really a bonus. So were the beignets, Hurricane, and Muffuletta at the Jazz Festival downtown (that was an excellent surprise).

Apart from bootlegging half a trunk full of deep dish pizza back home, I'm a bit bummed to say I haven't even sat in the thing yet. Somehow I managed to take a tumble down the stairs and bruise up my tailbone real good, to the point that moving altogether just sucks. After going out of my way to fix my lower back pain with a nicer chair, I managed to cancel all that out by introducing oh so much more pain

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Was it real pizza or that tomato sauce pie bullshit

This matters

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tehinternet posted:

Was it real pizza or that tomato sauce pie bullshit

This matters

Nothing but the finest deep dish Chicago style zah--the pinnacle of pie, perfected. Sadly I didn't get any Tavern style pies to go, but I figure there's plenty of good choices for that back home

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A long time ago in this thread I saw someone (maybe more than one) talking up Office Master Chairs. Is this the same company and are they still good?

https://www.officemasterchairs.com/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got one of those but if you order from ErgoDirect you can add more customizations like the soft wheels, etc. The recommendations in this thread were to also spring for the J77M Arms.
One of my J77M arms locked up a few years ago and ErgoDirect sent a free replacement no issues at all.

https://www.ergodirect.com/14101-office-master-iu54-24-seven-intensive-use-ergonomic-task-chair.html

marcocom
Mar 14, 2016

Catatron Prime posted:

Nothing but the finest deep dish Chicago style zah--the pinnacle of pie, perfected. Sadly I didn't get any Tavern style pies to go, but I figure there's plenty of good choices for that back home

This is clinically fascinating. So are you freezing these pizzas upon getting them home? or like for a party? i have to know!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
You make me sick

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

As a Chicago resident, most locals enjoy thin crust tavern style more than deep dish. Although deep dish is somehow what we have become known for due to a couple very successful local chains in the area.

Hope you enjoy the pie either way and your back feels better soon, come back to visit again.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm about a month on my Herman Miller Embody.

Oh my god why didnt I buy this chair a decade earlier while using a steel case leap v2. This chair is so much better for my posture and back.

edit: i am rocking the black balance fabric and it owns. feels so breathable especially since i dont have AC in my house. Im not worried about dirtying the fabric, this is a keeper and I dont plan to be a slob

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm about a month on my Herman Miller Embody.

Oh my god why didnt I buy this chair a decade earlier while using a steel case leap v2. This chair is so much better for my posture and back.

edit: i am rocking the black balance fabric and it owns. feels so breathable especially since i dont have AC in my house. Im not worried about dirtying the fabric, this is a keeper and I dont plan to be a slob
lol the Embody gets stained by plain water. It’s comfy enough but I’m two months in and you absolutely don’t need to be a slob for it to look like poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vegetable posted:

lol the Embody gets stained by plain water. It’s comfy enough but I’m two months in and you absolutely don’t need to be a slob for it to look like poo poo
skill issue

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

It’s handled my rear end sweat fine

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I want to thank posts in this thread for steering me away from gaming chairs and to look at office furnishing places, my partner and I found a place that refurbishes the expensive stuff and got decent deals on like the exact stuff for our respective sitting/back situations.

I'm glad we did that too because I know the aeron is talked up a lot but holy crap I hated it, geniuine almost insta-pain for me to use O_o my partner loved it though and got one, I ended up going with the steelcase leap which I wasn't expecting because we have some similar (but not actually them) ones at my workplace and they suck, but I fuckin' love this thing.

Thank you thread!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i also ended up hating the aeron i got and sent it back

ended up with the haworth fern and it's bretty good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want to thank the thread for updating us on the Herman Miller discount code.

I love my embody. How is it so much better than Leap v2 I was using for years??

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Did it stack on top of any existing discounts?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ornery and Hornery posted:

it’s the best chair

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I grabbed one of those all mesh Staples Hyken Task Chairs back in 2018. It still looks and feels brand new, and I put 50+ hour/week into it without discomfort.

Was just poking around, apparently the charcoal one is down to $140 (they changed the name of it a while back). They normally sit around $180-$200.

https://www.staples.com/staples-hyken-technical-mesh-task-chair-silver-53293/product_24328579

I thought it was only going to last me a year or two then I would cave and buy a Mirra 2.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Lucky you. I found it incredibly painful instantly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's a good price for something along the lines of a used Aeron? My Ikea chair is making my butt/back hurt so it's time to upgrade. There are quite a few on marketplace in the $300-400 range. The embody looks good but I'm not seeing any of those at all.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fknlo posted:

What's a good price for something along the lines of a used Aeron? My Ikea chair is making my butt/back hurt so it's time to upgrade. There are quite a few on marketplace in the $300-400 range. The embody looks good but I'm not seeing any of those at all.

The embody is worth it if you can find it used or afford it new. Lots of people like the steel series leap, which can usually be found used.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fknlo posted:

there is a reason you don’t see many embodys on the secondary market

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you can look for an aeron in person, you can check when it was made and if it's in good shape. I wouldn't buy a used aeron online, there's too many lovely companies that stick crappy aftermarket parts on a 20+ year old frame.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a new embody easily provides more than ~$800 in value over a used aeron

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Grabbing a used steel case amia to get me by for a while. I have experience with those from work and know it should do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Happiness Commando posted:

Lucky you. I found it incredibly painful instantly.

I recommended it to a few friends and coworkers when covid became a thing, they all had praises to. That sucks that you're body hates it.

None the less I'm a dweeb and like looking at upgrading to something fancy, but still no need.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I asked a couple of years ago for recommendations for chairs for fatasses, still haven't pulled the trigger. Are the recommended chairs still OfficeMaster? Everyone seemed to like the IU54, has there been an upgrade or change, or does that continue to be the recommendation? I just bought a house, and my mother is desperate to buy me some furniture as a housewarming gift, so while I'm not gonna say money is no object, even at something in the $2000 range, I can probably get her to go halfsies on. I want something built to last at least a decade.

My room has a hardwood floor (or, at least, some sort of wood-veneered vinyl). Are the soft castors on the Office Masters adequate for 300+ lbs. on a hardwood floor, or would I want to get a floor mat? If I'd want a floor mat, are the, like, bamboo ones good, or would I need to go with tempered glass? Thank you for the help.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no idea what the stock castors on that chair are like but if they're not soft enough you can just replace them with these rubber ones

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Including-Hardwood-Rollerblade-Replacement/dp/B07FP56VND

nearly all chairs (except ikea ones) use the same castor fitting

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

no idea what the stock castors on that chair are like but if they're not soft enough you can just replace them with these rubber ones

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Including-Hardwood-Rollerblade-Replacement/dp/B07FP56VND

nearly all chairs (except ikea ones) use the same castor fitting

These are the soft castors offered as an option on ErgoDirect:

https://www.ergodirect.com/19779-office-master-65ms-65mm-multi-surface-soft-caster.html

They would work, then?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So my Beautyrest Duo-Ex back mesh decided to come off from the back frame of the chair.

Only lasted a year, getting my warranty used on it for a full refund from Staples.

What chairs are y'all using at work and remote? Any decent recommendations? And does Black Friday have any sales on particular good brands, Herman Miller. Steelcase, Mavix etc.

I've been looking at the Vantum, M9, I was interested in the Vertagear Triigger but there's only the insane special edition available. There aren't many used furniture stores in my area.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 23, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Go to an office supply showroom if you can and figure out what you like. When in doubt, get the Embody. They'll probably have a black friday sale where you can get it for ~$1300 + tax

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Did that during my lunch tried a few out, guy guffawed when I asked if he had any Hermans, or Steelcases, "Son I don't think I'd have my store in this warehouse if I could get those in here." One I sat in was a similar design to the Mavix M9 in the separate pad for lower back support so that was a nice little frame of reference.

Edit: has anyone dealt with Officelogixshop? Refurbed Embodys and they machined a headrest for the Embody that almost perfectly blends in with it??

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 23, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jiro posted:

Refurbed Embodys and they machined a headrest for the Embody
stop right there

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

stop right there

Wha? This?

https://youtu.be/AGgmJ7MiZKo?si=Jfi0Ua_t4A6mC9G_

https://www.officelogixshop.com/collections/chairs/products/herman-miller-embody-chair

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 24, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
No

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$1300 for a refurb Embody seems too close to the price of a new one during various promotions to make it worth losing a 12-year warranty

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

$1300 for a refurb Embody seems too close to the price of a new one during various promotions to make it worth losing a 12-year warranty

This

And it sounded ridiculous to me too, but you really really don’t actually need the headrest. I’m 6’3” and well above the top of the chair and all the bullshit people have said about it not actually being necessary or needed is weirdly true

I’ve never once thought to myself “I could really use a headrest” when sitting in my embody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

If I'm usually sitting up straight with no tilt I really don't need that neck support, it's when I recline back that I start to miss it.

But I appreciate being more specific on why it's not necessarily a decent deal. How often does their website do a sale or promotion?