Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Thank you for the tips! Definitely going to look into a magnifier, I was thinking of getting one that can just sit on my desk with a nice ring light built in

I had something like that but it caused me to really hunch and have terrible posture to use but find what is most comfortable for you.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Why? Washes out the color?

It's so loving weak there's no point to it, there's just no illumination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The best advice I got for faces wash from a previous 40K thread, which was make your paints so diluted that they’re slightly tinted water, then layer as much as you need. I slowly add lighter tones as I go, it creates the depth that real skin has imo

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

i try to only buy models with helmets

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was that as well at one point.

These days I've just accepted I'll always be mid when it comes to painting and just paint faces.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
anybody who has their tank-armour-wearing space soldiers leave their helmet at home is loving silly

you're wearing tactical dreadnought armour

except the helmet

put the goddam helmet on, the space elf sniper is going to shoot you in the face

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Unless you're a named character, then they'll always miss.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No helmet owns. Badass mode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

anybody who has their tank-armour-wearing space soldiers leave their helmet at home is loving silly

except the helmet

put the goddam helmet on, the space elf sniper is going to shoot you in the face

gently caress that noise. Every single marine in my Deathwatch (with one exception) is helmetless because they're each special and awesome little jewels of wonder. Lore-wise, they all have different backgrounds and unique Chapter cultures.

"Amongst a hundred men, there may be none fit for the Adeptus Astartes. Amongst a hundred Space Marines, there may be one fit for the Deathwatch."

If they were real, they'd obviously wear their helmets in combat. But since they're static models that I put together and paint, one of the most effective ways I found to make a Marine stand out from another and to show their individual personality is to show their face. Also I wanted to get better at painting faces, skin-tones and eyes.

In short...

JBP posted:

No helmet owns. Badass mode.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 30, 2023

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of helmets, I wish I knew how many MKVII helmets come in the Sternguard kit. I hope it is more than just one because I really miss the old Space Marine aesthetic and I'm beginning to run low on old small marine helmets for primaris head swaps.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of helmets, I wish I knew how many MKVII helmets come in the Sternguard kit. I hope it is more than just one because I really miss the old Space Marine aesthetic and I'm beginning to run low on old small marine helmets for primaris head swaps.

Check the recent sprue pics and hope you can make them out on the really small images that GW usually provides on the website? :v:
Or wait until tomorrow when they pre-orders go up and check the webstore.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

except the helmet

anyone wearing a helmet clearly does not have enough faith in their emperor

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although after some point you do get tired of painting faces in various stages of doing the number 2, so you can have some helmets. As a treat.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I do it by army, Fists are 100% helmeted including a mildly converted Tor, but my World Eaters give no fucks

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

anyone wearing a helmet clearly does not have enough faith in their emperor
^^^ all sisters helmetless except with a handful that you know have like half their face missing. Space wolves obviously always helmetless because ain't no room for beards in there.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Cooked Auto posted:

Unless you're a named character, then they'll always miss.

There was an intensely funny moment in one of the Space Wolf books where the named long-term sergeant character gets shot in the face by a sniper because he's no-helmet howling after a win. (I think it was like, the third book he'd been in.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cyouni posted:

There was an intensely funny moment in one of the Space Wolf books where the named long-term sergeant character gets shot in the face by a sniper because he's no-helmet howling after a win. (I think it was like, the third book he'd been in.)

At least there is a half-assed lore reason for the no helmet wolves given they like to hear and smell things (please ignore that most fiction has vents on marine helmets so that you can just smell everything normally).

VVVV lol

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
No, he literally rips off his helmet and starts victory howling and immediately gets shot in the head by a sniper.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The way I see it the models aren't "literally" depicting the character mid battle without a helmet but they're more of an abstract representation of that character and could represent them in a variety of situations included both situations where they'd be helmed or unhelmed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

Check the recent sprue pics and hope you can make them out on the really small images that GW usually provides on the website? :v:
Or wait until tomorrow when they pre-orders go up and check the webstore.

I did. They are all pictures of the back of the helmets. No front pics.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cyouni posted:

There was a similar bit, also with a Space Wolf, in The Talon of Horus where the main character puts a knife through the chin of a Space Wolf and thinks to himself 'thank god these idiots never wear helmets'

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don’t paint too many faces but I do leave out sergeants and captains sometimes to practice skin for something down the line, maybe. I also just think helmets are cool, especially with Deathwatch where it feels fun to just use helmets from whatever unit on veterans.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Very nice! I might need a second Leviathan box for some conversions soon...

Ropes4u posted:

That’s a fabulous mini

Hey thanks!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Iron Halos are miniature localized force fields, usually equipped by squad leaders, so they don't need helmets.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

I did. They are all pictures of the back of the helmets. No front pics.

Thought they usually had the heads oriented towards the front, weird.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Played against THE GIRL and I was completely annihalated lol she washed me the points margin was 40 - 5 Tyranids - Space marines lol.

Turns out she has a 1000 point Necron army in the works so we got Necron representation now!

had a great time, and I added two new people to my warhammer club!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Thought they usually had the heads oriented towards the front, weird.

for whatever reason they almost never photograph the face/helmet side up for sprue pictures

https://taleofpainters.com/reviews/ usually gets early copies and does decent sprue pictures of both sides.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Was more talking about sprue design in this case. Figured they had the heads aligned to the front along the front torsos. Guess I was wrong then.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Was more talking about sprue design in this case. Figured they had the heads aligned to the front along the front torsos. Guess I was wrong then.

Yeah, I have no idea about the design methodology of the sprues and why they do that. I just have been greatly annoyed wanting to see helmets on sprues and rarely being able to. Even looking at the space marine stuff recently its a bit of a mix. Terminators are face up for helmets and bare heads. Terminator chaplain has the helmet face up and bare head face down. All the power armour boxes are face down.

It does seem like there's a side that has more external details visible but helmets and faces seem to be flipped to that.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Won 2 games on day 1 of my first ever GT. I have 7 games under my belt going in. The synaptic nexus detachment is great. The highlight of the day was my Norn assimilator coming in from reserves turn 2, harpooning Mortrian and using the +2 for the charge and just mulching him in one round. Felt good.

The second highlight even though I lost was a whole and I mean whole Votan army firing into my Norn emissary and it only dying on the final shot. Dear lord sitting on the objective and using the right strats make that thing so hard to kill.

It was a good day for the hive mind

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Although after some point you do get tired of painting faces in various stages of doing the number 2, so you can have some helmets. As a treat.

I was able to somehow paint the Imperial Fist upgrade head so that he was smiling, I think

Professor Shark posted:

I completed a random guy this weekend using leftover bits and a pair of legs I 3d printed:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cyouni posted:

No, he literally rips off his helmet and starts victory howling and immediately gets shot in the head by a sniper.

the image of this genetically-enhanced metahuman throwing his helmet off to let out some hearty AWOOs is the image I didn't know I needed this lovely saturday

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was just reminded that Desolator Space Marines exist since they are coming out soon.

Has anyone managed to do any conversions to make that design look good?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 30, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Is pre-ordering something like the marine codex important, like, if you don't will it be out of stock for ages?

I don't NEED one but it'd be nice to have to flip through, ya know?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not sure if I've ever really seen codexes out of stock.
CE versions notwithstanding.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

jadebullet posted:

So I was just reminded that Desolator Space Marines exist since they are coming out soon.

Has anyone managed to do any conversions to make that design look good?

Yes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there any online, up to date, price comparison list for official GW prices UK vs USA? I am making an entire trip to England hoping to save some money on a box or two of minis and maybe the SM codex so that's why I ask.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Looks like the reviews for the space marine codex is very positive

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there any online, up to date, price comparison list for official GW prices UK vs USA? I am making an entire trip to England hoping to save some money on a box or two of minis and maybe the SM codex so that's why I ask.

I don't know about a combined list, but full UK and USA prices are available here:
https://trade.games-workshop.com/resources/

Look under Guidance Docs > Order forms. Then swap country to get the other.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

xtothez posted:

I don't know about a combined list, but full UK and USA prices are available here:
https://trade.games-workshop.com/resources/

Look under Guidance Docs > Order forms. Then swap country to get the other.

Perfect I can easily combine them in excel pretty quick.

edit: spoke too soon, got the UK list but there isn't a USA list under the USA selection that I can find

edit2: it's "Trade Direct Range - July 2023 - USD" for the USA list of prices.

edit3: lol there's no commonalities anywhere in the files, even the descriptions/names of things, faster for me to just look at the site in the different prices and manually search a few units that I'm interested in (even if I do love spreadsheet loving around)

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 30, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

Looks like the reviews for the space marine codex is very positive

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-space-marines-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/
Looks decent 2 me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These look so very much better, holy crap.