Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a challenge to the constitutionality Section 965. Lol. Lmao.

Edit: I guess cert was granted a few months ago but it's news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’ve filed a few protective claims for that at a few grand a pop

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The idea is to preempt any attempt at a wealth tax. This court, they'll probably go for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ungratek posted:

I’ve filed a few protective claims for that at a few grand a pop

Yeah, I gotta get on that. As if I don't have enough headaches.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Second week done. Got paid 800+ dollars for my work. I am feeling really good. I hope to be able to keep doing a good job at AP long enough to get promotions, better pay and eventually be able to live on my own. In California. So far the tips everyone is giving me about doing research to make sure my reports are accurate have helped. Though I admit I am nervous about being in charge of ap of a whole section. That and the pace of my work. I am getting work done and clearing up the backlogs of stuff I get but I'm starting to get more and more disorganized with more things piling up like rebills, ap, check runs, pending invoices and cash counts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Annointed posted:

Second week done. Got paid 800+ dollars for my work. I am feeling really good. I hope to be able to keep doing a good job at AP long enough to get promotions, better pay and eventually be able to live on my own. In California. So far the tips everyone is giving me about doing research to make sure my reports are accurate have helped. Though I admit I am nervous about being in charge of ap of a whole section. That and the pace of my work. I am getting work done and clearing up the backlogs of stuff I get but I'm starting to get more and more disorganized with more things piling up like rebills, ap, check runs, pending invoices and cash counts.

It just takes practice. Right now you have to look everything up and double check things and when you come to something new you have to figure it out. It'll be hard for the first few weeks, after 6 or so you should be feeling much better. Unless your boss is totally incompetent they understand that.

Actually I'm hiring a jr staff accountant to do ap/payroll and billings right now but you have to be local to PDX.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Made an rear end of myself at work. Need to do better in front of bosses.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Annointed posted:

My boss (president) misused the term shibboleth in a board meeting and I muttered that’s not what it means loud enough 2 board members heard me.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

My boss (president) misused the term shibboleth in a board meeting and I muttered that’s not what it means loud enough 2 board members heard me.

Oof. I ended up fumbling an invoice by working on a statement with no invoice given, then got commented on my lack of organization and implied lack of work output.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Aren’t you ~3 weeks in? There’s a long runway before learning experiences flip over to mistakes.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Aren’t you ~3 weeks in? There’s a long runway before learning experiences flip over to mistakes.

Yeah this is my third week on my first real accounting job.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I had a partner ask me if they taught me anything in school during my first month.

It's a steep learning curve.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Annointed posted:

Oof. I ended up fumbling an invoice by working on a statement with no invoice given, then got commented on my lack of organization and implied lack of work output.

Just try your best not to get overwhelmed and work on doing things right as opposed to fast. Speed comes with confidence.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Annointed posted:

This seems like normal stuff for someone as fresh as you and hopefully your boss was just having a bad day because anyone working with first timers should know this is normal

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Good Citizen posted:

This seems like normal stuff for someone as fresh as you and hopefully your boss was just having a bad day because anyone working with first timers should know this is normal

Yeah. I swear I have a memory of my boss uttering something negative under his breath in my first year. It's more than a few years later and now I'm a necessary part of the machine.

Oh, speaking of, update: I am now 4/5 days of the week at the new office, but the old office still needs me on Fridays as things wind down there. I really need to push for a raise because it's a higher COL area, but at least I'm getting more attention on LinkedIn and maybe I'll make a jump sometime in 2024 to get my experience requirements. I'm also hoping it'll improve my mental health, but that's for a separate subforum.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm coming up on graduating as an accounting major. I've kind of hosed up and not really done much in the way of job seeking, internships, ect. All the jobs i've had in the past are stuff you just kind of Apply To: Retail, the post office, ect. Also, my grades are about as poo poo as you can get and still graduate, because of a wide variety of mental health issues/life poo poo/i'm bad at doing poo poo on my own perogative in my free time (i'm mostly fine in a work environment), ect. though i know for the most part people don't care about that too much.

What should I be doing so that hopefully I won't have 6 months of unemployment before landing something? Ideally I'd like to get something where I don't have to do overtime. I'm angling to apply to a lot of govt accounting-adjacent jobs about that, though obviously, i suspect one of those won't come through any time soon because of the shutdown threat and also just how long it takes for government hiring procedures.

I'm in the bay area, if it matters.

Nea fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 3, 2023

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Nea posted:

I'm coming up on graduating as an accounting major...

Do you know what kind of accounting role you will seek? Do you have a resume to use when you start looking for that role? If not, create one...or create several versions. If there isn't enough quality content on your resume, go get it now. Internships, volunteering, part time accounting work, etc. As a manager I strongly prefer relevant real world experience, and I'll pay for it. Absent that, I'd look at solid grades and enthusiasm for an entry level role. Since it's too late to fix your grades, go fix the experience bit.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I have a resume, I worked with Parahexavotal on here to fix it up. My ideal role is probably getting into the IRS or something else very specialized, I have to admit I'm hardly truly in love with accounting- i just like it well enough and that's what my degree ended up being in. But i don't particularly mind most types of work that are, more or less, broadly repetitive but with the occasional interesting thing happen to shake it up a bit. I've thought about going into audit work but frankly it seems quite intense and also I've only had one class in it, so probably not something that would be good to jump into in my first actual role.

I'll look into part time accounting roles, I have enough time this semester that I can probably fit it in.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The good news is that in about 3 years, lack of internship and lovely grades don't matter, at least not too much. You'll be An Experienced Hire. The bad news is that it does make things more difficult for you in terms of like, campus recruiting at Big 4 (I think).

If you're desperate and you don't mind doing tax work, get an EA license before the end of the year. It's not that hard. Buy the Passkey book and study for it. In January you'll be an EA with an accounting degree, and there will be a bunch of low level tax job opportunities for you. I would strongly encourage going for like, small shop local accountants and not stuff like Jackson Hewitt or HR Block, if possible. I'd definitely take a chain like that over like, retail or not working at all, though.

From there get the cheapest CPA course you can find and from April 16, 2024 through December 31, 2024, study your rear end off and get most or all of the CPA parts done. The CPA exam plus a season of experience in tax should open even more doors for you, and if you're personable and able to network, you'll be golden.

Nea posted:

I have to admit I'm hardly truly in love with accounting- i just like it well enough and that's what my degree ended up being in.

Yeah that's everyone. Nobody loves accounting. Nobody should love accounting. But you mostly get to work sitting down in an air conditioned office and you can afford rent. So it beats most other kinds of drudgery.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Another day done. Was able to post more correct work this time despite myself

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Nea posted:

What should I be doing so that hopefully I won't have 6 months of unemployment before landing something? Ideally I'd like to get something where I don't have to do overtime.

I assume almost everyone here came out of the wake of 2008, so it's a different perspective. There is an accounting shortage right now you'll be fine. Apply for staff accountant jobs in industries you want to work in long term. As far as overtime, if you don't want to advance past senior accountant that's fine, if you want to grow your career it's still an old school mentality. People like me are trying to change it but fighting the mentality that working long hours is important for management isn't going well.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

I almost blew up Christmas payroll for over 400 employees one year

get on my level!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

I almost blew up Christmas payroll for over 400 employees one year

get on my level!

Okay pls explain how that happen

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

One time I didn't notice my cursor focus shifted and typed 'OH gently caress WHAT AN rear end in a top hat' in a primary audit document instead of the chat window and it got archived like that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One time I did a backup restore incorrectly and made my team redo 2-3 days worth of work.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My alt + = autosum shortcut didn't pick up some income in a quarterly estimate calculation. Understated income by double digit millions.

I don't worry about mistakes anymore after that one.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Azrial posted:

I assume almost everyone here came out of the wake of 2008, so it's a different perspective. There is an accounting shortage right now you'll be fine. Apply for staff accountant jobs in industries you want to work in long term. As far as overtime, if you don't want to advance past senior accountant that's fine, if you want to grow your career it's still an old school mentality. People like me are trying to change it but fighting the mentality that working long hours is important for management isn't going well.

That's fine. I only really want enough to live comfortably on. I don't want to be a boss or even management.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

Okay pls explain how that happen

It’s as simple as any other mistake. I forgot to get a money transfer placed by a deadline. Happily a few frantic phone calls to the bank got it figured out in time.

Still nerve-wracking as hell. I could have ultimately handled it by cutting manual checks in-house but that would have been horrendous and screwed up people who count on direct deposit.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Democratic Pirate posted:

One time I did a backup restore incorrectly and made my team redo 2-3 days worth of work.

Ahhhh yeah, that one is always a treat.

Audax posted:

My alt + = autosum shortcut didn't pick up some income in a quarterly estimate calculation. Understated income by double digit millions.

I don't worry about mistakes anymore after that one.

At least it was a favorable fix!

Good Citizen posted:

One time I didn't notice my cursor focus shifted and typed 'OH gently caress WHAT AN rear end in a top hat' in a primary audit document instead of the chat window and it got archived like that.

This is the good poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

This is the good poo poo.

It was the summary of audit corrections doc so people absolutely saw it the next year but nobody ever proved it was me

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

19 o'clock posted:

Ahhhh yeah, that one is always a treat.

At least it was a favorable fix!

No no I understated income. They didn't pay an estimate tax on income they needed to pay an estimate on. Penalties and interest we're just shy of five million iirc?

Edit: federal only

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Good Citizen posted:

It was the summary of audit corrections doc so people absolutely saw it the next year but nobody ever proved it was me

Lolll

Audax posted:

No no I understated income. They didn't pay an estimate tax on income they needed to pay an estimate on. Penalties and interest we're just shy of five million iirc?

Edit: federal only

Ohhhh! poo poo. I was anticipating you saving the day by “finding” some uncounted revenue to report to management for close.

That sucks. Condolences :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Side note when do I loving learn to get all the work done on time.

This end of the month stuff with all these statements and incomplete orders and other things are driving me to madness. Please I just wanna stop loving up in front of my bosses and start loving up in less painful ways.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
You’re doing AP work, yes?

It’s a mad hustle. AP is a busy position with several stakeholders to each transaction. I haven’t done it myself (we always had dedicated AP people) and I gotta believe it’s practice and organization and practice and more practice.

If you can identify/quantify the major time sinks I would ask your boss about how they foresee you getting on top of those pain points so you can finish your work accurately and on time. At the very least you are giving them a heads up that you are feeling busy and want to get better at it all. They’ll appreciate the heads up rather than being surprised if something is wrong/late/incomplete later on.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

You’re doing AP work, yes?

It’s a mad hustle. AP is a busy position with several stakeholders to each transaction. I haven’t done it myself (we always had dedicated AP people) and I gotta believe it’s practice and organization and practice and more practice.

If you can identify/quantify the major time sinks I would ask your boss about how they foresee you getting on top of those pain points so you can finish your work accurately and on time. At the very least you are giving them a heads up that you are feeling busy and want to get better at it all. They’ll appreciate the heads up rather than being surprised if something is wrong/late/incomplete later on.

Yeah I been at least good at owning up to my mistakes. Also gently caress missed the supervisor by seconds. Running 3 properties at end of month so tiring.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

19 o'clock posted:

It’s as simple as any other mistake. I forgot to get a money transfer placed by a deadline. Happily a few frantic phone calls to the bank got it figured out in time.

Still nerve-wracking as hell. I could have ultimately handled it by cutting manual checks in-house but that would have been horrendous and screwed up people who count on direct deposit.

Lol I've had several customers not actually approve all of their positive pay items, which guess what, means they don't get paid. Pretty bad when thats the payroll ACH. Somehow this is always our fault even though we constantly remind them they need to do this every single day.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Weirdest part is how the time flies so fast during accounting. I'm just utterfly flabbergasted at how I spend all day on invoices and somehow I'm unable to notice the seconds.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Closing multiple accounts
Closing ends tomorrow.
I don't know if I can close them all.
I am feeling very very tired

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Sleep helps. Fresh eyes work wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I got fired from my first accounting internship after a month from dumb mistakes. I felt like a fool. Maybe the next one will work out better. I really liked that job too. I am going to graduate soon. I just want a job where I can sit down while working.