Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
I stumbled across 1974's The Antichrist on Tubi, and am pleased to report that this thing proved to be even sleazier than my wildest expectations. More exorcism movies could use a scene where the possessed character just gets up and hauls rear end out of the room, mid-ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

And Ricky Steamboat was Richard Blood if I remember right? What a dope name.

Yeah but Dick Blood is more of a heel gimmick

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Shrecknet posted:

I like that this implies:

a) Tobin Bell is the character making traps, not John Kramer, a fictional person played by Tobin Bell

2) Tobin Bell is dead

b) Ghosts are real

c) We have the technology to put ghosts in Billy puppets

Leigh Whannell's New Nightmare, coming in 2025

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lmao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Luke, you didn't appreciate the life you had on Tatooine and your loving aunt and uncle. Now they are dead and your selfishness left you alive... I'd like to play a game..."

*Death Star trash compactor closes in*

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wrong Turn 2 was wild. The other sequels look real bad though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Are we in challenge territory now? Or are we waiting till Sunday.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thread's already up and active!

Disposable Scud posted:

Wrong Turn 2 was wild. The other sequels look real bad though.

2 is the last good one. And I don't mean that like Hellraiser where people debate the merits as they go on, they fall off a cliff from 3 onward.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Are we in challenge territory now? Or are we waiting till Sunday.

Sorry I should've made a specific post about it, I forget that a lot of people have this thread bookmarked so they never see anything else in CineD.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042950

The October Challenge has begun!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Local movie theatre was already sold out of Saw plushies, booooooooooo :mad:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am team Saw-X-is-the-best-one now. This one is for the Amanda Stans 🫡

I always understood why people feel weird about how John Kramer is treated in the rest of the series, and while I do think the movies actually do try to show he is a a hypocrite there is still a glorification of his games throughout the films and you can't really avoid it lol. I could see people who dislike that aspect of the series still not loving this, but the personal stakes and just following Kramer around showing he how he is just a broken dying man and his genuine love for people just really helps. Feels much better than whichever movie started delving into his origins and had all the LORE about where the bike comes from and poo poo lmao. That just felt more like more depersonal myth making.

That being said the almost messiah-like Kramer still exists in this too, the final shot of him, Amanda and, the boy feels quasi religious as they are reborn in the light.

Agree that this is the goriest one yet. The pipe bomb arms is a lottttt lmao. And the sound design on the lady sawing off her own leg was really getting to me. 3D feels like the only one that kinda, approaches this level but 3D is undercut by everything looking extremely bad and cartoon-y.

Anyway I had a lot of fun~ I stood outside the theater for like 3 minutes because they had curtains over the entrance and tape was confused checking my ticket to see if it was the right one because I thought there was a misprint or something. But then I took a closer look at the tape and it was Saw theme caution tape >.<

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have never seen a saw in theaters. Should probably do something about that

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Xenomrph posted:

Saw plushies

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Local movie theatre was already sold out of Saw plushies, booooooooooo :mad:

:3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’ve just noticed and am curious, why is Universal now putting out an Exorcist movie? I know it’s David Gordon Green but you figure WBD would want to hold on to its franchises. (Even if none of the sequels or prequels have been especially huge.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I’ve just noticed and am curious, why is Universal now putting out an Exorcist movie? I know it’s David Gordon Green but you figure WBD would want to hold on to its franchises. (Even if none of the sequels or prequels have been especially huge.)

Its the 50th anniversary of the original Exorcist movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Its the 50th anniversary of the original Exorcist movie

Yes which was a Warner Bros. movie.

I’m not confused that there’s another one I’m confused how they changed studios.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yes which was a Warner Bros. movie.

I’m not confused that there’s another one I’m confused how they changed studios.

They paid 400 million dollars for it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

They paid 400 million dollars for it.

Okay, that sounds right. Missed that news.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I stlll haven’t made my list. I’ve been sick

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m gunna see SAWX this weekend. After the creator.

It’s also SAWX now. Not SAW X. Just SAWX.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

dorium posted:

I’m gunna see SAWX this weekend. After the creator.

It’s also SAWX now. Not SAW X. Just SAWX.

so it takes place in Boston now

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Driving my Caw to see Sawx

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Re-watching Scream 1 in anticipation of October. It's got a more impressive score than I remembered.

Also I've been getting their name wrong all this time

Zechariah fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 30, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Man, Eden Lake is all kinds of hosed up. I was not expecting it to be so insanely brutal lol.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zechariah posted:

Re-watching Scream 1 in anticipation of October. It's got a more impressive score than I remembered.

Also I've been getting their name wrong all this time

Uncle Longface

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I need some good Monster Mashes for the challenge. I may just rewatch FvJ since I don't think I've seen it since 2003, or I might do Glass if that counts. I can't think of anything else, at least nothing that's on any of my streams

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I made my roommates watch behind the mask: rise of Leslie Vernon. Idk if they liked it much. Thought it was interesting and creative but it’s not the instant classic it is to me lol

But that’s fine. Still one of my favorite movies even if the slasher portion isn’t super amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Opopanax posted:

I need some good Monster Mashes for the challenge. I may just rewatch FvJ since I don't think I've seen it since 2003, or I might do Glass if that counts. I can't think of anything else, at least nothing that's on any of my streams

The Howling 6 is Wolfman vs Demonic David Bowie who runs a circus. It’s on Tubi.

~~~unconnected thought~~~~~~

My whole thing with rewatching all of Friday the 13th is giving me a whole new appreciation for the series. I had been dreading Part 3 but holy shitballs that is a rock solid little film.

Is Part 3 my favorite now? Who even am I?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

veni veni veni posted:

Man, Eden Lake is all kinds of hosed up. I was not expecting it to be so insanely brutal lol.

Eden Lake is way up there in terms of movies that are just a bad loving time. It's a good movie, it's just really loving bleak and horrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is on Prime. So is Puppetmaster vs. Demonic Toys.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Tomorrow kicks off my family's 3rd annual "30 For 30" marathon and while we've got a third of the films slotted,there's still a ways to go. Since y'all have already come up with some good recs, I'd be happy for more suggestions.

(Our categories are meant to be a little vague to make for some leeway and we try to avoid stuff we've already seen. For example: "Trick or Treaters" - we've watched all of the Halloween franchise and Trick R' Treat. So what else would go there?)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“Multiple Monsters” makes me think Monster Squad. Or Night of the Creeps.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Naked Man Punch posted:

(Our categories are meant to be a little vague to make for some leeway and we try to avoid stuff we've already seen. For example: "Trick or Treaters" - we've watched all of the Halloween franchise and Trick R' Treat. So what else would go there?)
Hellions

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Naked Man Punch posted:

Tomorrow kicks off my family's 3rd annual "30 For 30" marathon and while we've got a third of the films slotted,there's still a ways to go. Since y'all have already come up with some good recs, I'd be happy for more suggestions.

You can watch the other Trick or Treat (1986), a cheesy but pretty fun rock and roll horror film with some great cameos

Also as always, if you havent seen Exorcist III, do it! Works for a couple categories

Thr13teen Ghosts is like the most 2000s film

In the Mouth of Madness is a classic for Meta Horror

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 30, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Naked Man Punch posted:

Funny Games is my pick for meta

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Behind the Mask is mine

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love Behind the Mask, definitely that one. Or Tucker & Dale!

I always smile when people show kids or horror newbies Ernest Scared Stupid, especially when the people watching for the first time like it :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deadite posted:

Funny Games is my pick for meta

1997 or 2007?