Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Newsom must be pissed hes missed two golden opportunities to become a senator at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Congratulations to the group of adventurers who successfully found and destroyed her phylactery. I hope you got a ton of XP from the final boss fight

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:toot::toot::toot::toot:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Congratulations to the group of adventurers who successfully found and destroyed her phylactery. I hope you got a ton of XP from the final boss fight

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Thank you, it was really touch and go there for a second, but the cleric was able to keep us up long enough for the barbarian to finish the job.

:v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like to think she's playing pick up with Kobe right now. :buddy:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kenning posted:

I cannot loving wait until Feinstein dies.

I'm really glad no one told me it would be 7 1/2 years, I would have lost my mind.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hi I don't live here anymore but just popping in to say congrats, and thank gently caress. Looking forward to seeing who Newsom triangulates as his perceived best pick to get him 2028 election cred.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey Gerry, did you ever want to be a Senator?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He's gonna send all that water from up north to the dry parts and any extra he'll dampen the forests so they dont burn.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1707867789107593333

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OgNar posted:

He's gonna send all that water from up north to the dry parts and any extra he'll dampen the forests so they dont burn.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1707867789107593333

Christ, Dianne Feinstein is more coherent than he is.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christ, Dianne Feinstein is more coherent than he is.

Can’t argue with this!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Muir posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the point. There's very slim chance that she would decide to run for the seat, so she would just hold it for the end of Feinstein's term through 2024.

Same principle could apply to Barbara Lee, who'd be a better pick than Boxer imo

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Same principle could apply to Barbara Lee, who'd be a better pick than Boxer imo

Barbara Lee has already announced she's running for the seat, so if he really doesn't want to pick someone that is running in 2024, then he couldn't pick her.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
I've beat this drum before. Newsom really should appoint a placeholder and let the people vote next year. Being able to fill two lifetime senate seats is rather much. The incumbency advantage one gets from a seat filling appointment is too great to overcome. Boxer and Feinstein were elected in 1992, since then, there has been only one open election, Harris in 2017... and her seat was filled by appointment when she became VP, so Padilla is likely to be there for the next 20+ years.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And with one stupid remark he destroys any goodwill he had with a group of voters that were automatically in his court.

"So when you meet someone with a beautiful house in Beverley Hills, you know that person is sort of disgusting."
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1707865898592207106

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Wheeljack posted:

I've beat this drum before. Newsom really should appoint a placeholder and let the people vote next year. Being able to fill two lifetime senate seats is rather much. The incumbency advantage one gets from a seat filling appointment is too great to overcome. Boxer and Feinstein were elected in 1992, since then, there has been only one open election, Harris in 2017... and her seat was filled by appointment when she became VP, so Padilla is likely to be there for the next 20+ years.

i challenge the california electoral process to, for once, convince me that the party does not, in fact, decide

i look forward to this not being the case and once again submitting my vote for write-in candidate против всех

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

fermun posted:

Barbara Lee has already announced she's running for the seat, so if he really doesn't want to pick someone that is running in 2024, then he couldn't pick her.

Ah my bad, I forgot she was running

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

congrats to jello biafra on outliving feinstein

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i challenge the california electoral process to, for once, convince me that the party does not, in fact, decide

Don't political parties sort of imply you're outsourcing control and planning to the party

I forget on the California ballot, but in Texas you had the option to tick a box at the top that literally just said "vote straight party ticket: democrat/republican"

I would love to see an amendment where all state wide elections are invalid unless independent or third parties get at least 7% (or whatever statistically significant amount) of the vote to break up the extremely disfunctional two party system

As much as I hate the tea party and their questionable origins and dealings with the Koch brothers, and everything else, they appear to be functioning as a valid third party in generating legislative chaos that might force everyone else to be marginally effective at governing. Maybe.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hadlock posted:

Don't political parties sort of imply you're outsourcing control and planning to the party

yes, we just hold primaries to waste the office of the secretary of state's funds

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

yes, we just hold primaries to waste the office of the secretary of state's funds

I'm invoking Poe's Law, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

I forget on the California ballot, but in Texas you had the option to tick a box at the top that literally just said "vote straight party ticket: democrat/republican"

I would love to see an amendment where all state wide elections are invalid unless independent or third parties get at least 7% (or whatever statistically significant amount) of the vote to break up the extremely disfunctional two party system

As much as I hate the tea party and their questionable origins and dealings with the Koch brothers, and everything else, they appear to be functioning as a valid third party in generating legislative chaos that might force everyone else to be marginally effective at governing. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmPtfy9P714

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

can we get a thread title update to "madame senator, this is hell"

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

Madame senator, this is a morgue.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

SolarFire2 posted:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That is an extremely long wind up, but A+ on relevance :golfclap:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

"ding dong the lich is dead"

Hadlock posted:

I'm invoking Poe's Law, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

in a way, both! our primaries are supposed to be competitive and open to the general public, else we wouldn't have them. parties may have recognized that they can often sidestep this and do, but that's not the intended outcome of the system

they are kinda a waste of funds given that we know ranked choice and similar systems can be used for the same purpose without holding multiple elections, at the cost of internal party power brokers losing some influence. said power brokers recognize this, hence gavin vetoing it on the grounds of "voter confusion" despite evidence to the contrary

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

wait gavin veto'd ranked choice? ranked choice got him elected as mayor lol

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cactus Ghost posted:

wait gavin veto'd ranked choice? ranked choice got him elected as mayor lol

Gotta pull that ladder up behind yourself.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/laphonza-butler-senate-18400669.php

quote:

SACRAMENTO – Laphonza Butler will replace Dianne Feinstein in the U.S. Senate, Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office confirmed Sunday night.

Butler serves as president of EMILY’s List, which works to elect women to political office. She will be the third Black woman to ever serve in the Senate. Politico was first to report Newsom would appoint Butler.

In appointing her, Newsom kept his promise to replace Feinstein with a Black woman if she didn’t finish her term. That promise, which Newsom made in 2021, put him in an awkward position when Feinstein announced she would retire at the end of her current term and several prominent California Democrats launched campaigns to replace her.

Doing a favor for an important political player of the national party and someone who isn't in the running for the upcoming election

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Played a central role in Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign AND was head of AirBnB's PR department? How inspiring!

edit: and advised Uber on avoiding drivers being classified as employees, lmao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Maxine Walters is 85 though? Hopefully they assign someone under the age of 70 at least, although I'm not holding my breath. Average age in California is ~36-37 would be great to see someone under 50

I guess she's 45ish years old? So not another boomer, that's cool. Her resume looks like she was Gavin and Kamala's political fixer on the campaign trail, and has had a number of unelected quasi governmental positions, so getting appointed senator for life makes perfect sense. It was either this or federal judge and she doesn't have the law degree so I guess Senator is it

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

fermun posted:

Played a central role in Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign

Hmm I know who's gonna die next

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

fermun posted:

Played a central role in Kamala Harris's 2020 presidential campaign AND was head of AirBnB's PR department? How inspiring!

edit: and advised Uber on avoiding drivers being classified as employees, lmao

lol

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I mean he did appoint a real California senator, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

a scumbag that helped billionaires gently caress workers and tenants both. thats what we call a twofer