Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SAM to 50 is gold, SCH is better than I expected, NIN is good, AST is good, BLM is good, MNK is good when it's good and mid when it's not(PUG rules.) Everybody has mentioned that DRK is good, WAR is good overall but has sore spots(and MRD is not good), the rest like DNC/RDM/SGE/DRG are perfectly cromulent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I just got to StB WAR and love how Hildibrandish it feels already, did not expect that. Really liked MCH, AST, SGE, and RDM. Thought BLM was mostly dull until the end. PLD is uhh, PLD. Glad the devs realized HW PLD was a disaster and StB PLD was alright.

Personally really hated StB SAM, felt like it went completely against the grain of the whole expansion

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
StB Sam makes sense in the context of what happened to Ala Mhigo, where the nation with a lovely ruler underwent a civil war with the Garlean Empire looming over them ready to take over as soon as the winning side was too weak to fight back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

StB SAM is stopping a coup attempt by a psychotic fascist who's ideal Kugane is "the Sengoku Era but with more killing." The shadowy shogunate we never see is in fact preferable to that.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I get all that and it makes sense on paper, but emotionally I just felt like a cop throughout the whole thing

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

reversefungi posted:

I get all that and it makes sense on paper, but emotionally I just felt like a cop throughout the whole thing

It's ok for fantasy cops to be good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the problem with portraying them as essentially fine is less that they're fantasy cops and more that they very directly parallel a historic organization in Imperial Japan that was... pretty bad!

Which, whatever, I'm not gonna overthink it, I just understand the complaint.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

reversefungi posted:

I just got to StB WAR and love how Hildibrandish it feels already, did not expect that.

Even more "wacky hijinks" for me because the new NPC introduced was my doppelganger.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

That Little Demon posted:

WHM class questline continues to be the worst thing in the game by far lmao.

How clean is your taint though?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

How clean is your taint though?

Bidet Mage

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

making a glare mage alt named Taint Succor

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Taint Cleansed Again

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's ok for fantasy cops to be good.

acab includes fantasy cops, no exceptions

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Relyssa posted:

What about Samuel Vimes?

Wait, no, Sam Vimes would agree he’s a bastard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

in fantasy worlds, impossible things can exist like dragons and good cops

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only good cop is Kim Kitsuragi

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Relyssa posted:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Didn’t level 62 have the Ishgardian guy?

No clue. Maybe? I couldn't tell you because he's such a non-character he could be replaced with a screaming portal to the 13th and that'd have more character or a narrative presence.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

what are you trying to say here, idgi

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Relyssa posted:

what are you trying to say here, idgi

you dont say

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I am struggling to give a single poo poo about Lyse, the reveal, this entire plot line...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ah, the Stormblood experience

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

yeah I think the lyse thing was for 1.0 players. I didn't get it at all either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not for 1.0 players, the 1.0 version is the same character. The obvious point of it is that it's trying to have a throughline through the expansion be Lyse's journey of self-discovery, which has a parallel with her embracing her identity as both Lyse and an Ala Mhigan, but it doesn't work super well tbh.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Duodecimal posted:

WAR is a delight throughout.

:black101:
HIT!
ROCK!
WITH!
AXE!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

I am struggling to give a single poo poo about Lyse, the reveal, this entire plot line...

Yeah it's a very nothing reveal. All along, this woman has been.... lying about her name?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apparently 1.0 players did meet the actual Yda, but only in one of those weird playable Echo flashbacks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Kugane half of Stormblood is significantly better, because it involves protagonists with coherent, sensible motivations and personalities. Also, if you're using English voices, the villain is batshit loving crazy in the best way. (The JP version is great, too, just a little more subdued and nuanced in her performance.)

The Ala Mhigo half is very nothing until Pipin Tarupin shows up right near the end and steals the entire "assault on the fortress" scene with like two lines. "Let no man say we neglected to knock!" :getin:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 1, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Ala Mhigo half would've been much better if Raubahn had taken the part of Lyse instead. I know why they did it this way, but it still doesn't work very well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Relyssa posted:

The Ala Mhigo half would've been much better if Raubahn had taken the part of Lyse instead. I know why they did it this way, but it still doesn't work very well.
Definitely agreed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Apart from the Zenos fight in Rhalgar's Reach the whole first three levels of the StB MSQ just feel like a series of side stories that got promoted to MSQ to set up recurring plotlines for the next five years.

But it definitely actually gets good once you're in the Far East and have an actual plan to reach your goal of stickin' it to the empire.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It doesn't help that Gyr Abania is three zones of more or less the same brown deserts. I don't hate that portion of the MSQ but it's definitely the worst section of main quest not in ARR.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quiggy posted:

It doesn't help that Gyr Abania is three zones of more or less the same brown deserts. I don't hate that portion of the MSQ but it's definitely the worst section of main quest not in ARR.
Hey, that's not true, some of those desert also have brown ruins in them! I couldn't tell you which, or what they were, but they're there!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget the forever burning wreckage

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Also a weird inverted pyramid stacked on top of a regular pyramid that isn't even a dungeon, for some reason

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lol reel it back y'all, you're sharing level 66-68 reveals to a guy who just saw the pre-patch/level 60 mask reveal :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relyssa posted:

ngl

I would've fuckin loved it if Raubahn was your traveling companion to Othard

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like how we just chucked the eyes of Nidhogg off a cliff. I'm sure we'll never see any trouble from those eyes again.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

I like how we just chucked the eyes of Nidhogg off a cliff. I'm sure we'll never see any trouble from those eyes again.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zurtilik posted: