Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Doesn't work.

For either of the two.

:(

e: Had someone try calling both these and +49 versions from a landline in the US. Also doesn't work for them.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Weird. I just tried to call it from Belgium and it just says 'bup' and hangs up. My phone registers it as a call. Given that *Our free telephone consultation service can be reached on weekdays between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., I'd certainly attempt again when these hours take place in Germany.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

The prefix for toll free numbers in Germany is 0800, not 08000. Looking at some examples, seven digits after that is common, so the number of fives in your example doesn't match that either.

Looking here, you should end up with something like this: +49 800 xxxxxxx or 0049 800 xxxxxxx

Don't expect it to be toll free when calling from abroad.

00800 numbers are not German numbers, they are a special international format that allows for worldwide free dialing to a single number. They can be registered literally anywhere in the world.

"800" is treated as a kind of a magic country code here.

They are not related to the 0800-prefixed national German free numbers which cannot be dialed from outside the country.

Try dialing either literally 00800-whatever, of +800-whatever since the + symbol is used in place of 00 in countries where the code to tell your operator to route internationally is something different than 00.

-----------

Edit: This system is called Universal International Freephone Number (UIFN).

Googling a bit I'm finding some confusing information:
- They may cost money when called from cellphones but should be free from landlines.
- I found several companies where you can register one. Each of them has a different list saying from which countries they can be dialed. So if this company happens to use a registrar that doesn't include your country you might be screwed.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 30, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah the confusion stemmed from the description as a German number and the dropped 0 at the start, I realized once I saw the actual number on the website.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One more thing to try:

Germany happens to have a law where every single website registered by a business is required to have a page containing their address and local contact info.

Theirs is here:
https://www.erka.org/en/legal-notes-and-data-protection

Now that has a number with a German country code.
Dialing that number (during German office hours) is likely to pass by their customer service and connect you to their office receptionist who might not speak English very well, but I mean, if you're out of options otherwise, there's nothing to lose.

Reminder that when dialing internationally, you should ignore that (0), because that 0 only needs to be added when dialing from inside Germany.

Edit: but yes, please first try the toll-free number again on Monday after 7 AM German time.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 30, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Carbon dioxide posted:

One more thing to try:

Germany happens to have a law where every single website registered by a business is required to have a page containing their address and local contact info.

Theirs is here:
https://www.erka.org/en/legal-notes-and-data-protection

Now that has a number with a German country code.
Dialing that number (during German office hours) is likely to pass by their customer service and connect you to their office receptionist who might not speak English very well, but I mean, if you're out of options otherwise, there's nothing to lose.

Thank you! I tried that number and it works. And had I eventually found it myself I likely wouldn't have tried without omitting the 0.

Will try to see if my German can handle a short conversation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ultrafilter posted:

Do I need to clean the lint filter on my dryer if I'm running a cycle without heat?

It takes 3 seconds to remove the lint, why wouldn't you just remove any lint in there? What are you planning to do with the three seconds you're trying to save?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Those could be the 3 seconds in which OP cures cancer!

Also, incredible post/username combo by OP

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Do I need to clean the lint filter on my dryer if I'm running a cycle without heat?

It won't work as well if you don't, but 'need'? No.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

smackfu posted:

Noticed that TotalWine will deliver liquor to us in Connecticut but not ship it. Is this just because the law cannot make a distinction between hand delivered and bought in store?

If it’s like CA it’s because they can’t ship it because they lose control of it when they give it to the shipper and can’t verify the age of whoever accepts the delivery. If they themselves deliver it they can. There are specific shippers who will do the verification but they may just not have a deal with them.

Or they could be some weird CT thing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

But... Pulling the mat of lint off the filter is so satisfying! It's like a little treat. Why would you not want to do that? :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We just got our daughter a Kindle Kids eReader. I've tried searching through the menus and online, but I can't figure out if this (or any Amazon eReader) lets you change the backlight color. Does anyone here know one way or the other?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

The other thing I would suggest to a new player is play 15 min + 5 second increment or 15 + 10 at a minimum. Longer is even better. You not only need time to calculate, you need to learn how to calculate.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

The other thing I would suggest to a new player is play 15 min + 5 second increment or 15 + 10 at a minimum. Longer is even better. You not only need time to calculate, you need to learn how to calculate.

Here's my stupid/small question:

huh?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

alnilam posted:

huh?

Tell me you've never played competitive kindle backlighting without saying you've never played competitive kindle backlighting.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Hyperlynx posted:

But... Pulling the mat of lint off the filter is so satisfying! It's like a little treat. Why would you not want to do that? :psyduck:

The dryer I had in the last apartment was satisfying to clean. The one in this apartment? Lint loving everywhere. I still clean it but it just makes a huge mess.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

alnilam posted:

huh?

I'm bad at posting where I should

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I randomly found a Nintendo switch lite that I would love to reunite with it's owner. Is there a way to retrieve their contact information? As far as I can see their log in email is obscured and I can't retrieve it without access to the password.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How often are you meant to clean lint out from the dryer? I used to do it every time I used the dryer, but lately, pulling lint lost it's dopamine rush. Now I clean the lint dryer every 3-4 uses when it's developed a nice thick blanket.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hooah posted:

We just got our daughter a Kindle Kids eReader. I've tried searching through the menus and online, but I can't figure out if this (or any Amazon eReader) lets you change the backlight color. Does anyone here know one way or the other?

The newer kindles do have a color temperature setting to change the backlight between bright white and warm yellow. If it's available there should be a "warmth" option in the menu right next to brightness.
My 2017 kindle oasis didn't have it but the 2019 model does.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Qubee posted:

How often are you meant to clean lint out from the dryer? I used to do it every time I used the dryer, but lately, pulling lint lost it's dopamine rush. Now I clean the lint dryer every 3-4 uses when it's developed a nice thick blanket.

Clean it out every time you use it, the dopamine rush isn't worth the potential of burning your house down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Not only should you clean the filter every time you use the dryer, you should also periodically (like, once a year? depending on usage) be cleaning out the dryer vent, because it also gets gummed up with lint.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Qubee posted:

how are you so constantly neurotic and weird about the stupidest poo poo imaginable and yet so blase about the single most well known and easily remedied home fire hazard

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What’s the most complex life form you can freeze long term and then thaw and it’ll keep living using current technology

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

What’s the most complex life form you can freeze long term and then thaw and it’ll keep living using current technology

Nematodes I think, the frogs that get frozen aren't really frozen all the way through, they're just built like that to survive hibernation through the winter if I remember right.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

You can make a playlist on youtube that is unlisted. That means it will only be accessible via a link and not visible in your profile.

When you create a playlist there's a dropdown that has "public", "unlisted" and "private" to choose from.

That's absolutely ideal - thanks! I told you my head was full of rocks. Speaking of, you rock :)

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Slimy Hog posted:

Clean it out every time you use it, the dopamine rush isn't worth the potential of burning your house down.

the endorphin rush of burning your house down, however, is

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Penguissimo posted:

how are you so constantly neurotic and weird about the stupidest poo poo imaginable and yet so blase about the single most well known and easily remedied home fire hazard

That seems like a large question tbh

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Badger of Basra posted:

An early microwave oven model was invented as a byproduct of trying to revive frozen hamsters, and it worked. The issue isn't so much complexity as it is size, you can't really freeze or thaw something much larger than a hamster fast enough for it to work.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I'm working on improving my life. a new hobby.
and I had a dream about starting to paint. it was really trippy, and I kept having to fight to get back to my painting. it was basically ocean or a lake with mountains in the background.
or at least my interpretation of it

it'd probably be abstract poo poo because i have no real talent about reality. i haven't even chosen a medium or anything.

does anyone have anywhere I should start for some tips or ideas?

a new outlet for what's going on in my head

i have problems and i don't know if this will solve anything, but it may help temper my life

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

blight rhino posted:

and I had a dream about starting to paint. it was really trippy, and I kept having to fight to get back to my painting. it was basically ocean or a lake with mountains in the background.

it'd probably be abstract poo poo because i have no real talent about reality. i haven't even chosen a medium or anything.

i have problems and i don't know if this will solve anything, but it may help temper my life

Talent is bullshit, the secret to all good creative endeavours is practice and more practice. Going out and getting some canvases and acrylic paints and brushes is pretty affordable for a hobby, and a good start is just doing it and seeing if you could stick with it.

If you're into it, getting a teacher or class is probably worth it after a few months.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

blight rhino posted:

not that I'm qualified for anything, but It can absolutely help. Just get some paper. Start with pencils if you've got them, get some paint and brushes if you can, and have a go. Don't over think it just put poo poo on paper and see what happens.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Trickortreat posted:

I randomly found a Nintendo switch lite that I would love to reunite with it's owner. Is there a way to retrieve their contact information? As far as I can see their log in email is obscured and I can't retrieve it without access to the password.

If it still has its serial number on it and the owner registered it with Nintendo (which if the email address is there it sounds like they did), you might have some luck by contacting Nintendo customer service. They were surprisingly helpful when my DS got stolen.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Can bleu cheese fungus be grown (safely) on other foods? Does anyone do that?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Can bleu cheese fungus be grown (safely) on other foods? Does anyone do that?

sure, people make vegan blue cheese out of cashews. penicillium roqueforti has industrial use too i think.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Penguissimo posted:

I've never had someone so perfectly distill my entire existence down into one post and it is like finally understanding the meaning of life. I don't know why my brain is the way it is. I'll freak out about eating lots of rosemary but I'm okay with letting lint build up in a dryer.

Can someone recommend must-do activities whilst in Houston? Right now, I'm loving randomly exploring neighbourhoods and stopping at diners or bbq places. I've also enjoyed a lot of random parks. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time walking about Walmart, Best Buy and Micro Center. They're something so common but to me, they're ridiculous in their size and scale. I am planning on going to the zoo and the Nasa museum thing. Was also considering renting an electrical bike and just cycling about downtown for a few hours.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 1, 2023

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I've never had someone so perfectly distill my entire existence down into one post and it is like finally understanding the meaning of life. I don't know why my brain is the way it is. I'll freak out about eating lots of rosemary but I'm okay with letting lint build up in a dryer.

Can someone recommend must-do activities whilst in Houston? Right now, I'm loving randomly exploring neighbourhoods and stopping at diners or bbq places. I've also enjoyed a lot of random parks. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time walking about Walmart, Best Buy and Micro Center. They're something so common but to me, they're ridiculous in their size and scale. I am planning on going to the zoo and the Nasa museum thing. Was also considering renting an electrical bike and just cycling about downtown for a few hours.

There's a Mark Rothko museum/temple there, the Rothko Chapel. People seem to love it and find it deeply moving or hate it and say they don't get it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

Right now, I'm loving randomly exploring neighbourhoods and stopping at diners or bbq places. I've also enjoyed a lot of random parks.

This is 90% of what I do when I travel and I have no regrets. Love picking up the general vibe of a city.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what the best thread for this would be: I have a desk setup like so:

The two speakers are plugged into my PC via an 1/8"/headphone jack to two 1/4" jacks. The speakers seem to have a problem with my widescreen monitor; they have a bunch of static, and when I do things on the widescreen monitor (play video, play a game, scroll the bar on a webpage, etc.) I can here the static changing/getting worse/better. Shutting off or unplugging that monitor makes the static go away. I've run into the same issue with the speakers plugged into the same power strip as the monitor and a different power strip from the monitor, with three different DisplayPort outputs, and with both the headphone jack on the back and the front of my PC case; what the gently caress is going on here? I do not have the same problem with my USB headset.

If there's a better thread to post this in, that would be good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Qubee posted:

Right now, I'm loving randomly exploring neighbourhoods and stopping at diners or bbq places. I've also enjoyed a lot of random parks.

Sounds like you should definitely try geo-caching.

It's a game where people hide Things, in Places, log the location on a database, which you look at through the app and then go and find. They can be anything. Some are easy, some are hard. Some are custom made pieces of camouflage that blend in, some are a bit of tupperware under a rock. The only thing they have in common is a piece of paper inside which you sign and date, then you log the find on the app, and the green dot turns to a yellow smiley face, which is tremendously satisfying.

The finding part is fun, but the point is that someone is bringing you to that Place. Even in your own city, you'll discover neighbourhoods and parks you never had before.

e - some are on lovely street corners, some are in tourist spots, some are in spectacular look outs that take 5 hours to hike to.

You can play for free, but if you pay ~$50 a year you can see a bunch more.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 2, 2023