Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lysidas posted:

well i guess this was the next best option after they embarrassed themselves publicly whining to apple to port imessage to andoird

disagree, i think that was a real option that would create a better situation, had they stuck to even that i think legal leverage would have been found (in fact afaik some interoperability is still slated to be forced by the eu?)

e: being the rcs champion is so dumb that i struggle to think of a worse option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

as an iPhone user I think knowing I’m taking to an android user is useful

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I generally only watch YouTube in expanded mode so I just noticed the rounded corners on the default video player. what a stupid loving change. just forcing a stylistic choice for everyone who makes videos, nbd

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

disagree, i think that was a real option that would create a better situation, had they stuck to even that i think legal leverage would have been found (in fact afaik some interoperability is still slated to be forced by the eu?)

e: being the rcs champion is so dumb that i struggle to think of a worse option
there is some degree of interoperability, that’s where the phrase green bubble bitch comes from

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Back in late 2021, reports had emerged of a weird bug on Google Pixel devices that would render them unable to connect to 911 emergency services. The issue was traced to Microsoft Teams, and both Google and Microsoft issued fixes in early 2022. But it seems that 911 calling is still somewhat randomly broken on Google Pixel devices, and some users are finding this out the hard way.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think iphone should implement RCS so that pics and videos are sent full size but there’s still a green bubble because

akadajet posted:

as an iPhone user I think knowing I’m taking to an android user is useful

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i send green bubbles unashamedly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Enjoy this text of a video that gets so compressed it would have looked like poo poo in 2009

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PokeJoe posted:

looked like poo poo in 2009

turn on your monitor

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
apple should support rcs but the actual spec rcs not the google version that funnels it all through google servers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

apple should support rcs but the actual spec rcs not the google version that funnels it all through google servers

I believe this means messages couldn’t leave your carrier but the entire situation is a complete mess. RCS may not work at all on most carriers without google now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but yes, apple should do that because it’d be hilarious. it’d be just like apple products following USB power specs to the letter unless they could verify that the other side was also an apple/mfi device that indicated agreement to break the spec.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mediaphage posted:

turn on your monitor

:negative:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope some folks a a small fiberglass shop in the south bay have been able to send their kids to college on google's dumb vanity statues

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wanted a 14 but they drew a ߈⇂

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

qirex posted:

I hope some folks a a small fiberglass shop in the south bay have been able to send their kids to college on google's dumb vanity statues

goog even had a seperate sizzle reel payout this year, its def lucrative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y0pWEW4jyk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

considering google's designs resulted in at least one melted statue (clear container melted the jelly beans) they've got repeat maintenance business, too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not Andoird strictly speaking but gmail now has emoji responses, which is something we all really missed :toot:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/10/gmail-unleashes-email-emoji-reactions-onto-an-unsuspecting-world/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i presume this results in one character spam in normal clients

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, if they're turning gmail into chat does that mean it's next to be killed?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I straight up had a guy in a meeting last week say "hang on, I need to call Adrian to see what's happening with this task. He sent me an emoji and I don't understand what it means."

can't wait for people to send me middle finger emojis in my email

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

👍

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

copying Apple once again

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
what happened to HTC? seems like they were considered good as far as android go for a couple of years and then disappeared from the face of the earth

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Olivil posted:

what happened to HTC? seems like they were considered good as far as android go for a couple of years and then disappeared from the face of the earth
They tried to get into VR. It didn't go so well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Assepoester posted:

the first vive was pretty good especially for the time. the vr thing i think was more a lifeline for declining phone sales though and not the cause

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. casting around in the ocean for something to keep them afloat and they chose a cinder block

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Assepoester posted:

HTC was already dying before that sadly. I've had one of their WM phones and the Mk1 Desire and both were good but I think they just got hosed the way of most Android OEMs that are not Samsung due to millions of budget headset earing the market and no real way to differentiate themselves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mostly they became the poster child for throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks and little did. they made a billion different phones that were impossible to tell apart and Samsung (and to a lesser extent Motorola) eventually did a better job of selling products that were easy to differentiate while marketing WAY better. htc also made early pixel phones but that was before they had any real popularity at all beyond the Uber nerds.

basically everyone just buys Samsung or Apple

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
also they were a much smaller company than almost all of their competitors and just got muscled out

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Olivil posted:

they never recovered from those awful early android phones that couldn't handle scrolling and got like 1 lifetime software update.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

of course that's not much worse than andoid today so maybe that wasn't it :shrug:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

yeah, a good HTC phone was an excellent Android phone. but if you didn't do your research you were just as likely to get a lovely experimental and quickly unsupported HTC phone, which is not good for building a brand

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

their current venture is a blockchain phone

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

High Tech Computer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quietly android

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lucky Goldstar

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

disaster pastor posted:

yeah, a good HTC phone was an excellent Android phone. but if you didn't do your research you were just as likely to get a lovely experimental and quickly unsupported HTC phone, which is not good for building a brand

they had a whole line of phones called HTC One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
micro star international

uh

diamond flower inc