Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Stay Together for the Kid (Who I Disabled)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Ugh, sorry about your parents. It sure has been a blast finding out what a liar everyone is, and especially when it comes to life and death issues.

coming of age during the AIDS epidemic but before antivirals prepared me well for our new reality.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm really struggling to comprehend the idea that an entire influenza strain was made extinct from one half rear end effort at universal masking by the world over ~6 months

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm really struggling to comprehend the idea that an entire influenza strain was made extinct from one half rear end effort at universal masking by the world over ~6 months

Fortunately it will likely never happen again!

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Asproigerosis posted:

universal masking and lockdowns, the two greatest infringements upon human freedoms the world has ever seen. so wildly unpopular that even though during this time billionaires increased their wealth by unfathomable amounts, they will never allow it again because it gave poor people 2000 dollars and hope

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

The evolutionary behavior of influenza is extremely bizarre and poorly understood. There's still not a really good understanding of the 1918 pandemic as far as how it came out of nowhere, killed so many people for a few years, then seems to have basically gone away completely. It's little wonder the yearly vaccine formulation is as hit or miss as it is.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder if it's genuinely extinct or if our PCR surveillance of flu is too sparse to pick it up.

Or if it's in whitetail deer now :shepface:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Asproigerosis posted:

I remember posting the following picture itt way back when, because one thing was the Yamagata strain being eliminated, but the pandemic also cut down heavily on the overall genetic diversity in the remaining strains:

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29402-5

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
https://twitter.com/DrJBhattacharya/status/1668419152992940032
has anyone read this yet? it seems powerfully cursed

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

e: mod dumb, so what?

Loucks has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Oct 1, 2023

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

I think the first chapter is subtitled "It is tyranny to turn 911 into anything other than a joke in your town"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://themessenger.com/health/new-york-covid-plattsburgh-vermont-hospital-mask-mandates-outbreak

quote:

50 Infected in NY Hospital COVID Outbreak: Mask Mandates Return
The hospital has experienced an influx of cases

seems mild.

bonus lol in the article

quote:

“We have a number of patients who were diagnosed with COVID here. Because it’s unclear how they came in contact with the virus, universal masking is the best way to combat its spread,” Lisa Mark, M.D., the hospital’s chief medical officer, added.

hotdog costume guy

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CGI Stardust posted:

Wifezwang and I once went to a museum exhibit on life and death. One display showed the top 10 causes of death in various decades, ranging back to something like 1800. (It may have only pertained to the US/Europe as well; I don't remember.) All or nearly all of them were infectious diseases up until germ theory became a thing. Then fewer and fewer were infectious diseases, until eventually none were. Our top killers are now heart disease, cancer, stroke, and progressive neurological stuff precisely because dying of dysentery at age 3 or whatever is much less of a thing now.

Not that I look forward to dying of any of those non-infectious things, mind you, but living long enough to do so? Yeah, in that sense I'm germophobic.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The Kids Aren't Alright (Because I Gave Them Covid)

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Kids in America (ft Covid)

Apr 7, 2003

What's My Age Again (62 years due to covid brain damage)

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

What’s My Age Again (no seriously, I can’t remember due to Brain Fog)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Jort Fortress posted:

What’s My Age Again (no seriously, I can’t remember due to Brain Fog)

Wow fishing for a ban?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Wow fishing for a ban?

just cause a mod who constantly makes bad probes made a bad probe doesn’t mean they are going to double down on this.

I for one think they can admit they hosed up and apologize

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
he's not a mod just an ik

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
well iks are people too. just because they made a mistake doesn’t mean they are bad people

Apr 7, 2003

shazbot posted:

well iks are people too. just because they made a mistake doesn’t mean they are bad people

much to think about

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I read that post as a play on the blink 182 song title, and in context, the punchline of the joke was that the unborn child of some celebs who kissed while being covid positive at their baby shower might be disabled. If I missed a different meaning then my bad. If that was the correct reading then I guess we can just agree to disagree if that was worth a sixer or not.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

I read that post as a play on the blink 182 song title, and in context, the punchline of the joke was that the unborn child of some celebs who kissed while being covid positive at their baby shower might be disabled. If I missed a different meaning then my bad. If that was the correct reading then I guess we can just agree to disagree if that was worth a sixer or not.

:cheers:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Dysentery Gary (actually covid)

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

speng31b posted:

let’s imagine you read that perfectly correctly. some people purposefully spread a fatal disease by kissing.

do you think shaming people who purposefully spread disease is wrong? do you think it’s your job to silence them so that popular culture says it’s okay to knowingly spread disease?

what was your goal with that probe?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

he's not a mod just an ik

Yes that's because I wrote a sternly-worded letter to Jeffrey demanding justice.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

shazbot posted:

let’s imagine you read that perfectly correctly. some people purposefully spread a fatal disease by kissing.

do you think shaming people who purposefully spread disease is wrong? do you think it’s your job to silence them so that popular culture says it’s okay to knowingly spread disease?

have you considered that COVID Is Over and You Gotta Live Your Life?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

shazbot posted:

I don't think that anyone going up to a baby shower while knowingly covid positive is great, and I also don't think joking about their unborn child being disabled is good to post because you're upset by that behavior. I'd recommend to do less of that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

speng31b posted:

I don't think that anyone going up to a baby shower while knowingly covid positive is great, and I also don't think joking about their unborn child being disabled is good to post because you're upset by that behavior. I'd recommend to do less of that.

My man do you know what dark humor is????

If so, is that just not allowed?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The joke is not “haha that baby is gonna suffer” but rather “haha these people are pieces of poo poo,” but mostly just lol at coming into the thread to litigate a bullshit sixer.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

speng31b posted:

quote:

babies born to women who had a COVID-19 infection during pregnancy showed slightly elevated rates of congenital cardiovascular defects, heart rhythm abnormalities, metabolic disorders, and perinatal respiratory disorders.

do you also think it’s bad to insinuate bad things about pregnant mothers who eat sushi, drink alcohol, and smoke?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

My man do you know what dark humor is????

If so, is that just not allowed?

COVID is over. you've got to understand that. it is done and gone. making jokes about it still being a thing just makes normal people sad.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Oct 1, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
nah, i kinda get it, that's a fair reading... i honestly thought that myself. sorry waist but that's how it is sometimes.

the bigger lol, to me, is that two or three months ago exxon was like "we may have to quarantine this thread for the good of the forums" and now theyre like "dear thread, how do i best quarantine effectively during my infection"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

shazbot posted:

do you also think it’s bad to insinuate bad things about pregnant mothers who eat sushi, drink alcohol, and smoke?

No, I just thought it was just a lovely thing to post for the reasons I mentioned and it earned a six hour probation. I wouldn't recommend joking that random covid positive celebrities disabled their unborn children based on random article tweets, even if it's a very funny joke about the song title from one of the people involved.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bedpan posted:

COVID is over. you've got to understand that. it is done and gone. making jokes about it still being a thing just makes normal people sad.

Good thing no one who posts on something awful is objectively normal.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fur20 posted:

the bigger lol, to me, is that two or three months ago exxon was like "we may have to quarantine this thread for the good of the forums" and now theyre like "dear thread, how do i best quarantine effectively during my infection"

What the gently caress are you talking about?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speng31b posted:

No, I just thought it was just a lovely thing to post for the reasons I mentioned and it earned a six hour probation. I wouldn't recommend joking that random covid positive celebrities disabled their unborn children based on random article tweets, even if it's a very funny joke about the song title from one of the people involved.

yeah he should have linked the article first. tweets can be deleted and the context gets lost

bedpan has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Oct 1, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

we should all laugh about the celebrity who killed her unborn child with covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

eXXon posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

sorry, maybe i'm misremembering some other mod. the internet!