Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CGI Stardust posted:

https://twitter.com/DrJBhattacharya/status/1668419152992940032
has anyone read this yet? it seems powerfully cursed

Viruses aren’t microbes.

Dumbass.

Zugzwang posted:

I wonder if it's genuinely extinct or if our PCR surveillance of flu is too sparse to pick it up.

Or if it's in whitetail deer now :shepface:

Uncertainty remains.

quote:

• There have been no confirmed detections of circulating, naturally occurring B/Yamagata/16/88 lineage viruses after March 2020, including in this period.
  • Recent reports of B/Yamagata detections could not be confirmed as naturally occurring B/Yamagata-lineage viruses or were identified as the B/Yamagata lineage component of live attenuated vaccines.
  • We cannot yet be confident that B/Yamagata-lineage influenza viruses are extinct.
  • GISRS will continue to actively conduct targeted surveillance for influenza B/Yamagata lineage viruses.

Influenza B/Yamagata Lineage Viruses September 2022-February 2023

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fur20 posted:

sorry, maybe i'm misremembering some other mod. the internet!

Ok, well if you want a joke, I also lost most of my smell and taste a couple of days ago and can no longer huff my own farts properly. I rest assured that these are normal cold/flu-like symptoms that will resolve in 1-52 weeks.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

eXXon posted:

Ok, well if you want a joke, I also lost most of my smell and taste a couple of days ago and can no longer huff my own farts properly. I rest assured that these are normal cold/flu-like symptoms that will resolve in 1-52 weeks.

I’m not gonna be bothered to link the shrooms studies but if you can eat some shrooms it might reset your anosmia/ageusia

edit: dont do this if you’re pregnant you might disable your kids

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
can someone tell me why this thread has an IK who feels they need to defend the kardashians from suggestions of bad parenting. this is embarrassing

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Psycho Society posted:

can someone tell me why this thread has an IK who feels they need to defend the kardashians from suggestions of bad parenting. this is embarrassing

Ukraine thread not sending their best.

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Does anyone have any good ideas on covid safe jobs? I know most people would suggest work from home and remote jobs, I have a BA in Economics and I’m open to those suggestions, but as a cursed Millennial nearly all my jobs have been retail, grocery, and food service. I did work at an extremely hosed up family business for more than a decade so I do have business management, clerical, administrative, etc. experience. I was working at a fast casual restaurant when covid hit, and I eventually left for a job maintaining the landscaping around utility poles, which was equally awesome and terrible (threats from chud landowners, working with herbicides, pay was good but not enough to move within commuting distance) and I would like to get back to something like that if I can find the right opportunity. Most recently I have been working as a medical courier, which probably doesn’t count as covid safe, but I got only minimal pushback on my mask. Working as a medical courier does not pay enough. These last two jobs are similar in that I would drive a company vehicle places and then do stuff. Driving a company vehicle means most of the day I am not exposed to coworkers and customers. I would prefer outside work that lets me move around and physically do things, I maybe wouldn’t prefer to sit at a computer. I don’t want to be just a driver, which is also too much sitting. Mostly I need something attainable that gets me out of minimum wage hell and lets me rent like a basic studio apartment and save a little money every month.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Groundskeeping owns, you get all the fresh air you could want, I see sunrises and you can wear a secureclick and no one gives a drat.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

speng is not the thread IK.

Anyway, thanks to the Leper's Colon, an insight into why vaxx appointments might be canceled besides supply shortages (well I suppose appointment-only pharmacies should be able to avoid overbooking, but...)

quote:

Pharmacy tech here and this has been the most ridiculous flu season I've worked. Flu shots hitting the exact same time as new Covid shots & RSV shot plus doing walk-ins only means some folks are getting 3 shots at once and having hour+ wait times. This also means that our pharmacists are basically only doing shots and can't finish people's regular maintenance prescriptions. Our systems keep track of how far behind we are, and as of yesterday, we were 72 HOURS behind.

Our pharmacists finally said "gently caress it" and said no more shots until Monday just so we can get caught up on our regular work.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Oct 1, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

eXXon posted:

Anyway, thanks to the Leper's Colon, an insight into why vaxx appointments might be canceled besides supply shortages:

not ready for this type of entrails reading

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

eXXon posted:

Anyway, thanks to the Leper's Colon, an insight into why vaxx appointments might be canceled besides supply shortages (well I suppose appointment-only pharmacies should be able to avoid overbooking, but...)

no one wants to work anymore

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

bedpan posted:

not ready for this type of entrails reading

Cruelty-Free Haruspicy!

gets onto hospital bed, motions assistant to get the tv setup ready

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Oracle posted:

pritzker once again proving he’s better than all the other wannabe president governors. Eat poo poo Newsom you Republican marrying poser.

Inslee is 100% garbage

My kids went to their doctor’s flu shot clinic today. I asked about covid shots and they have them but haven’t been given the green light to start giving them out :psyduck:

Then the cherry on top was having only the 5+ shot but not under 5 shots. They put us on the waiting list but Jesus, why not give them out now that you have them?

Glumwheels has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Oct 1, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

eXXon posted:

This is fake news everyone knows the jabs are a government plot and nobody is actually getting any. Just more disinformation being put out to justify the continued lockdowns.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

these are awesome :swoon:
edit, lol that's a fine fuckin line to sew there

Tzen has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Oct 1, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

speng31b posted:

I don't think that anyone going up to a baby shower while knowingly covid positive is great, and I also don't think joking about their unborn child being disabled is good to post because you're upset by that behavior. I'd recommend to do less of that.
lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Glumwheels posted:

Inslee is 100% garbage

My kids went to their doctor’s flu shot clinic today. I asked about covid shots and they have them but haven’t been given the green light to start giving them out :psyduck:

Then the cherry on top was having only the 5+ shot but not under 5 shots. They put us on the waiting list but Jesus, why not give them out now that you have them?
lmao jesus christ

still sitting on natures vaccine timeline so i wonder what the booster landscape will look like come late november
probably more of the same lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jzux/status/1708182378265375188?t=M-_88eqaOpGmTVbVJ6Ceww&s=19

I could've sworn there was something that caused this but I can't quite remember...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Today is the third anniversary of Hope Hicks getting coronavirus and the circus around whether Trump had it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I listened to this on loop basically the entire weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZE1Fh1AgWQ

We came so close to the funniest possible thing

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/09/30/us/baltimore-drinking-water-parasite/index.html

quote:

A microscopic parasite was detected in the Druid Lake Reservoir in Baltimore, and vulnerable residents are being told to take precautions when drinking water.

Traces of Cryptosporidium were found in the lake during a routine test by the Baltimore City Department of Public Works crew members.

Cryptosporidium is a microorganism which can cause gastrointestinal problems, including diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and stomach pain, according to a public works press release.

Children, the elderly, and those with an immunocompromising condition are more likely to experience these symptoms if exposed to the parasite.

“People with healthy immune systems typically are not impacted or quickly recover without medical treatment,” the release noted.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/jzux/status/1708182378265375188?t=M-_88eqaOpGmTVbVJ6Ceww&s=19

I could've sworn there was something that caused this but I can't quite remember...

This is one of those things that scares me, but is real hard to get people to care about. I don’t think we can afford to lose very much when we’re talking about the average person’s ability to remember stuff. We weren’t always very good at that to begin with, and making us collectively worse at it is going to make things just that much shittier and more prone to failure

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

Real Mean Queen posted:

This is one of those things that scares me, but is real hard to get people to care about. I don’t think we can afford to lose very much when we’re talking about the average person’s ability to remember stuff. We weren’t always very good at that to begin with, and making us collectively worse at it is going to make things just that much shittier and more prone to failure

It really bugs me how symbiotic it feels between covid brain damage, capitalism, and people's individual thresholds for dealing with reality are working together to make it unclear whether people know it's covid and want to dance around it or just think constant sickness and new random health concerns out of thin air are "just the way it is".

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

empireofcrime posted:

It really bugs me how symbiotic it feels between covid brain damage, capitalism, and people's individual thresholds for dealing with reality are working together to make it unclear whether people know it's covid and want to dance around it or just think constant sickness and new random health concerns out of thin air are "just the way it is".

Yeah, there’s a bigger problem here that I have a hard time putting into words. Every fuckup this entire time is a single thread in a knot that defies description

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Death of Innocence posted:

Does anyone have any good ideas on covid safe jobs? I know most people would suggest work from home and remote jobs, I have a BA in Economics and I’m open to those suggestions, but as a cursed Millennial nearly all my jobs have been retail, grocery, and food service. I did work at an extremely hosed up family business for more than a decade so I do have business management, clerical, administrative, etc. experience. I was working at a fast casual restaurant when covid hit, and I eventually left for a job maintaining the landscaping around utility poles, which was equally awesome and terrible (threats from chud landowners, working with herbicides, pay was good but not enough to move within commuting distance) and I would like to get back to something like that if I can find the right opportunity. Most recently I have been working as a medical courier, which probably doesn’t count as covid safe, but I got only minimal pushback on my mask. Working as a medical courier does not pay enough. These last two jobs are similar in that I would drive a company vehicle places and then do stuff. Driving a company vehicle means most of the day I am not exposed to coworkers and customers. I would prefer outside work that lets me move around and physically do things, I maybe wouldn’t prefer to sit at a computer. I don’t want to be just a driver, which is also too much sitting. Mostly I need something attainable that gets me out of minimum wage hell and lets me rent like a basic studio apartment and save a little money every month.

If you can hack it get some tools and find a job working on commercial vehicles. Trucks, buses, etc. It pays better than a car dealership. Look for fleet maintenance work. I wear my mask all day and my shop is well ventilated. I don't work around a ton of people either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chinese fire drill with American characteristics

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Platystemon posted:

It's important to find ways to make very simple things complicated and frustrating, because the point of the game is to save a couple hundred dollars this quarter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My neighbor told me that respiratory pathogens keep eating his nurses so I asked how many nurses he has and he said he just goes to the global south and gets new nurses afterwards so I said it sounds like he’s just feeding nurses to respiratory pathogens and then his daughter started crying.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)

Constantly donning and doffing an assortment of masks depending on the individual public health risk assessment of the patients, min-maxing protection to cost like a normal person.

I always thought gamification was completely asinine, but it is all right, everything is all right, the struggle is finished. I have won the victory over myself. I love gamification.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

My neighbor told me that respiratory pathogens keep eating his nurses so I asked how many nurses he has and he said he just goes to the global south and gets new nurses afterwards so I said it sounds like he’s just feeding nurses to respiratory pathogens and then his daughter started crying.
lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Constantly donning and doffing an assortment of masks depending on the individual public health risk assessment of the patients, min-maxing protection to cost like a normal person.

[…]

Imagining Ben Franklin’s many-tinted glasses from National Treasure but the levers don and doff various types of “face coverings”

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Today is the third anniversary of Hope Hicks getting coronavirus and the circus around whether Trump had it

Oh so Elizabeth Jennings is how Obama got turned by the Russians

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Seems bad.
"Prion Disease After COVID-19: A Case Report"

https://amjcaserep.com/abstract/full/idArt/940564 posted:

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Prion disease (PrD) is one of the rapidly progressive dementias. It typically requires several diagnostic criteria to fulfill a probable diagnosis, as definite diagnosis is based on isolated brain biopsy. There has been much debate on a possible infectious etiology of PrD. Viral infections are commonly pathologic in most neurodegenerative conditions. In PrD, misfolded proteins can be contagious and act as infective proteins, regardless of the pathologic agent. There is evidence that COVID-19 can result in neurologic manifestations, and neurodegeneration has been reported in the literature. There are several case reports describing parkinsonism after COVID-19, with Parkinson’s disease in particular noted in COVID-19. Few cases of PrD were reported after COVID-19 infection. We identified 1 case of PrD in the setting of COVID-19 at our hospital.

CASE REPORT: We report the case of a 62-year-old man admitted to Mount Sinai Queens Hospital Center, who presented with rapidly progressive dementia along with difficulty walking and myoclonus. All workup results were negative. He underwent MRI brain, but results were not revealing. Due to the high clinical suspicion, CSF protein 14-3-3 testing was ordered and was positive. Clinically, he experienced worsening neurological function after having been COVID-19-positive on admission. The case fulfilled the probable diagnostic criteria for diagnosing PrD. The patient continued to deteriorate and died due to the rapid progression of his condition.

CONCLUSIONS: Our case demonstrates the potential correlation of COVID with neurodegenerative conditions, especially prion disorders. While such cases are highly likely to be due to COVID-19, there is no definite evidence beyond coincidental findings. Future studies might be required to establish this correlation.

I should note, that this is pretty rare (a handful of cases) and the patient seemed to be in a bad state on admission. I am unsure why they frame it the way they do, as it seems to me it is much more likely to be a contributing factor rather than the cause, but I am not a doctor so I'll take their word for it :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
What kind of bullshit is this now?

I don't like that BA.2.86 keeps producing new variants that appear to be spread all over the world (JN.1 = BA.2.86.1.1), again I submit that BA.2.86 was caught very very early and is still doing the easy single point optimization.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

What kind of bullshit is this now?

I don't like that BA.2.86 keeps producing new variants that appear to be spread all over the world (JN.1 = BA.2.86.1.1), again I submit that BA.2.86 was caught very very early and is still doing the easy single point optimization.
Don't worry, it's still Omicron :thumbsup:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

re: Pediatric vaccines, something is going on where they are slow rolling these, our doc is saying the same thing “we don’t have it yet but might in a month or two, but when we do have it we will gladly give it”. I don’t know if it is manufacturing related or other studies or what but it is strange.

re: Forgetfulness and related dumbness. ok here is the thing, I can guarantee to you I have never had COVID. I’m pretty healthy, i don’t drink/smoke/do drugs. Really no reason for my mental state to change other than getting older/kids.

The amount of typos, bad grammar, and clumsy copy/paste I make in work messages has blown up in the past year. I’m just way sloppier, and every time I catch it after the fact I think “what the hell, I was never this bad.” Memory is probably on par with before-times, maybe a bit worse. So, I do think a portion of getting dumber is just us all getting older en masse

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Crazyweasel posted:

re: Forgetfulness and related dumbness. ok here is the thing, I can guarantee to you I have never had COVID. I’m pretty healthy, i don’t drink/smoke/do drugs. Really no reason for my mental state to change other than getting older/kids.

The amount of typos, bad grammar, and clumsy copy/paste I make in work messages has blown up in the past year. I’m just way sloppier, and every time I catch it after the fact I think “what the hell, I was never this bad.” Memory is probably on par with before-times, maybe a bit worse. So, I do think a portion of getting dumber is just us all getting older en masse

lockdowns

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

now that the vaccine is private market providers have to buy it instead of getting for free through procurement programs, smaller clinics are probably hesitant to eat poo poo on a vaccine nobody's gonna take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

I wonder if the pediatric office here in town that gave my daughter her initial shots but then refused to give her a booster because she wasn’t a normal patient, resulting in my kid having no booster because they were the only place within driving distance with Moderna (and mix and match wasn’t approved for the initial boosters for under fives) had to throw doses away.

I bet they did and that it was very stupid that I wanted a booster I couldn’t get but medical office idiocy wouldn’t let us link up.