Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Spoondick posted:

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

Jeez, hate to see their policy on chemo drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

now that the vaccine is private market providers have to buy it instead of getting for free through procurement programs, smaller clinics are probably hesitant to eat poo poo on a vaccine nobody's gonna take

Is it single dose vials now instead of vials of ten? I thought I saw that but I can’t find a source right now. That would help a lot with wasted juice.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Thoguh posted:

Is it single dose vials now instead of vials of ten? I thought I saw that but I can’t find a source right now. That would help a lot with wasted juice.

they're single use now, which is nice because now we don't have to discard unused portions at the end of the day after doing one or two shots, but a box of 10 units is going to set a provider back about a thousand bucks and i think there's order minimums

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Crazyweasel posted:

re: Forgetfulness and related dumbness. ok here is the thing, I can guarantee to you I have never had COVID. I’m pretty healthy, i don’t drink/smoke/do drugs. Really no reason for my mental state to change other than getting older/kids.

The amount of typos, bad grammar, and clumsy copy/paste I make in work messages has blown up in the past year. I’m just way sloppier, and every time I catch it after the fact I think “what the hell, I was never this bad.” Memory is probably on par with before-times, maybe a bit worse. So, I do think a portion of getting dumber is just us all getting older en masse

I've been going through this as well. I think it's mostly because most of us in this thread are still hyper vigilant trying to protect ourselves/family while the rest of the world decided rolling the dice everyday was fine. The Human mind wasn't designed to be constantly thinking of disaster/disease, and it messes up your default thinking patterns. This is why I've suffered from double depression for decades now. I'm a very analytical thinker, usually planning for the worst. Yup, it's very tiring, and not good for mental health. When you think a certain way for long enough, it becomes the default pathway - more like a rut that a wagon can't get out of. Positive thinking can help with that, but I find it takes immense effort to change that (CBT is a good method - no, the good CBT.). That's why the "go touch grass" is important. Being in nature can have a beneficial effect on us. And positive thinking.

Sort of this. We're still partially mentally locked down (hyper vigilant) in a way if that makes any sense. Imagine a computer that is constantly running calculations. It's going to use op memory, potentially slowing down other processes. I wish I could explain it more eloquently but I can't because of the above.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spoondick posted:

i had a pediatrician flat out tell me they aren't ordering any pediatric covid vaccine because the last time they ordered some 80% of it went to waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxG6ikYhmv0

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kragger99 posted:

I've been going through this as well. I think it's mostly because most of us in this thread are still hyper vigilant trying to protect ourselves/family while the rest of the world decided rolling the dice everyday was fine. The Human mind wasn't designed to be constantly thinking of disaster/disease, and it messes up your default thinking patterns. This is why I've suffered from double depression for decades now. I'm a very analytical thinker, usually planning for the worst. Yup, it's very tiring, and not good for mental health. When you think a certain way for long enough, it becomes the default pathway - more like a rut that a wagon can't get out of. Positive thinking can help with that, but I find it takes immense effort to change that (CBT is a good method - no, the good CBT.). That's why the "go touch grass" is important. Being in nature can have a beneficial effect on us. And positive thinking.

Sort of this. We're still partially mentally locked down (hyper vigilant) in a way if that makes any sense. Imagine a computer that is constantly running calculations. It's going to use op memory, potentially slowing down other processes. I wish I could explain it more eloquently but I can't because of the above.

it's also just general stress and trauma. super fucks with your encoding pathways

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/jzux/status/1708182378265375188?t=M-_88eqaOpGmTVbVJ6Ceww&s=19

I could've sworn there was something that caused this but I can't quite remember...

Hard to say. "Frain Bog" maybe??

My brain was mush long before plague due to ADHD, so I rely on impeccable notes/reminders. It's been wild seeing adults ostensibly develop ADHD after a lifetime of normal brain function. On Teams calls (with video) I regularly see coworkers forget words and look bewildered mid-sentence. They also drop the ball like I have NEVER seen in 15yrs of working in tech. They just forget everything we've discussed previously and swear they've never heard it before. No doubt some of it is pandemic stress, but it's bad.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Don't forget that the atmosphere CO2 PPM is steadily rising over time and it has already been proven that a higher ratio of CO2 in the air we breathe degrade our cognitive thinking process.

Everything we do is just making us dumber

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A couple days ago I started getting a sore throat and some congestion after about 2 weeks of traveling through Canada and New England. Two negative RATs and no progression of symptoms later think I have to admit I somehow dodged covid but did pick up that summer cold that's always going around. Glad it's (probably) not covid but gotta say, being sick sucks! Avoid it if you can!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You need to calibrate your individual risk tolerance with regard to parasites. We can’t shut down the water supply. If you’re scared, don’t drink it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

Chinese fire drill with American characteristics

DO NOT use reasonable precaution at a time like this lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

NeonPunk posted:

Don't forget that the atmosphere CO2 PPM is steadily rising over time and it has already been proven that a higher ratio of CO2 in the air we breathe degrade our cognitive thinking process.

Zombie apocalypse but in Idiocracy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jort Fortress posted:

On Teams calls (with video) I regularly see coworkers forget words and look bewildered mid-sentence.

I've had this problem for years, dunno if it's gotten worse at all since I caught covid in '22.

I've gotten pretty good at eventually figuring out the word I'm trying to remember by picking a word that feels similar and then going through lists of synonyms on thesaurus.com, finding one which feels even closer to the word I'm trying to find and then looking through that list etc etc so it doesn't really effect my forums keyboard finger tapping thingie

E: typing

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Crazyweasel posted:

re: Pediatric vaccines, something is going on where they are slow rolling these, our doc is saying the same thing “we don’t have it yet but might in a month or two, but when we do have it we will gladly give it”. I don’t know if it is manufacturing related or other studies or what but it is strange.

re: Forgetfulness and related dumbness. ok here is the thing, I can guarantee to you I have never had COVID. I’m pretty healthy, i don’t drink/smoke/do drugs. Really no reason for my mental state to change other than getting older/kids.

The amount of typos, bad grammar, and clumsy copy/paste I make in work messages has blown up in the past year. I’m just way sloppier, and every time I catch it after the fact I think “what the hell, I was never this bad.” Memory is probably on par with before-times, maybe a bit worse. So, I do think a portion of getting dumber is just us all getting older en masse

I have experienced this as well. I don't feel as sharp as I used to even though I still haven't gotten infected yet.

But the truth is I have just stopped CARING as much as I used to. I feel more relaxed but I make more minor mistakes. I like the way I am better now.

Edit:

So, what's the key to cutting down on C02 intake? A sealed room with an oxygen supply blowing in from one vent and then venting the air outside through another vent?

mrbotus has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Oct 1, 2023

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Tzen posted:

lmao jesus christ

still sitting on natures vaccine timeline so i wonder what the booster landscape will look like come late november
probably more of the same lmao

This is at one of the largest hospital systems in the state

The shots should have been ready and available before school starts

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rochallor posted:

A couple days ago I started getting a sore throat and some congestion after about 2 weeks of traveling through Canada and New England. Two negative RATs and no progression of symptoms later think I have to admit I somehow dodged covid but did pick up that summer cold that's always going around. Glad it's (probably) not covid but gotta say, being sick sucks! Avoid it if you can!

Viral loads for the new variants can peak 4-5 days after symptoms begin. You may want to continue testing depending on how long it has been.

Crazyweasel posted:

Have you been testing regularly? It's pretty hard to guarantee you've never had an asymptomatic case. But anyway, there are lots of other things that can give brain fog-like symptoms.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Contrary to popular belief, people do not have infinite mental bandwidth and a whole bunch of stressful poo poo going on all the time is going to degrade your ability to cope with other things. Just how it is.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

mrbotus posted:

So, what's the key to cutting down on C02 intake? A sealed room with an oxygen supply blowing in from one vent and then venting the air outside through another vent?

You don't have to cut down on CO2 intake because the cognitive difference between huffing 350ppm and 425ppm is negligible. We can revisit this question in a few decades. For now, I have an aranet4 in the house and crack a window if I ever notice its above 800.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

if atmospheric CO2 were at concentrations necessary for impeded cognitive function, we'd all be dead already.

you're at higher than atmospheric CO2 inside any building on Earth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

What kind of bullshit is this now?

I don't like that BA.2.86 keeps producing new variants that appear to be spread all over the world (JN.1 = BA.2.86.1.1), again I submit that BA.2.86 was caught very very early and is still doing the easy single point optimization.

very exciting that we caught BA.2.86 when it was at level 1 with no skills unlocked

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Spoondick posted:

:capitalism:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mdemone posted:

if atmospheric CO2 were at concentrations necessary for impeded cognitive function, we'd all be dead already.

you're at higher than atmospheric CO2 inside any building on Earth.

There's a difference between being a drooling imbecile that can't tie their shoes and misspelling or forgetting a complex word.

I mean like some folks sure do get whole lot dumber when they all gather together in a underground bar in a tight space without even drinking

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Oct 1, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I put speed holes in mine

there was a nurse in Washington state who recently got disciplined for poking holes in his own n95 masks in 2020-2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Wifezwang and I once went to a museum exhibit on life and death. One display showed the top 10 causes of death in various decades, ranging back to something like 1800. (It may have only pertained to the US/Europe as well; I don't remember.) All or nearly all of them were infectious diseases up until germ theory became a thing. Then fewer and fewer were infectious diseases, until eventually none were. Our top killers are now heart disease, cancer, stroke, and progressive neurological stuff precisely because dying of dysentery at age 3 or whatever is much less of a thing now.

Not that I look forward to dying of any of those non-infectious things, mind you, but living long enough to do so? Yeah, in that sense I'm germophobic.

it's cool we're all enlightened now, but this obscures the material causes of deaths today, top among which is air pollution.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jort Fortress posted:

I regularly see coworkers forget words and look bewildered mid-sentence. They also drop the ball like I have NEVER seen in 15yrs of working in tech. They just forget everything we've discussed previously and swear they've never heard it before. No doubt some of it is pandemic stress, but it's bad.
techs way more annoying now and interfaces keep changing though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I am only getting smarter, sorry about everyone else's co2 and covid addled brains

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
viral autoimmune hepatitis? immune evasion by binding to bilirubin?

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/04/22/sciadv.abg7607 posted:

SARS-CoV-2 can recruit a heme metabolite to evade antibody immunity

We show that SARS-CoV-2 spike binds biliverdin and bilirubin, the tetrapyrrole products of heme metabolism, with nanomolar affinity. (…)
At physiological concentrations, biliverdin significantly dampened the reactivity of SARS-CoV-2 spike with immune sera and inhibited a subset of neutralizing antibodies.
Access to the tetrapyrrole-sensitive epitope is gated by a flexible loop on the distal face of the NTD. Accompanied by profound conformational changes in the NTD, antibody binding requires relocation of the gating loop, which folds into the cleft vacated by the metabolite. Our results indicate that SARS-CoV-2 spike NTD harbors a dominant epitope, access to which can be controlled by an allosteric mechanism that is regulated through recruitment of a metabolite.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2949928323000093 posted:

T Cell Cross-reactivity in Autoimmune-like Hepatitis Triggered by COVID-19

In the case of a pediatric patient with SARS-CoV-2 infection, the liver biopsy showed acute submassive hepatocyte necrosis, accompanied by a significant increase in T cell infiltration [2]. Furthermore, CD8 T-cell dominant hepatitis induced by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination has also been recently reported [3]. Although it is known that T cell receptors (TCRs) can discriminate between self- and non-self-antigens, it is now well-accepted that TCRs exhibit cross-reactivity toward similar and even distinct antigen peptides [4]. Thus, we hypothesized that following SARS-CoV-2 infection or vaccination, T cells carrying TCRs that recognize self-antigens undergo clonal expansion, which could eventually result in the onset of autoimmune-like hepatitis

hepatitis covid posted:

Potential irregular liver biomarkers
1) Alanine aminotransferase (ALT)
2) aspartate aminotransferase (AST)
3) TBIL, total bilirubin

a diagnostic approach for elevated liver enzymes in COVID-19 should include:
(1) thorough evaluation of alcohol and medication use,
(2) laboratory assessment of liver synthetic function and portal hypertension (i.e., platelet count, albumin, PT/INR),
(3) serological and virological testing in order to exclude common prevalent liver diseases such as viral hepatitis,
(4) ongoing monitoring of liver enzymes,
(5) imaging reserved for patients with high pre-test probability of biliary obstruction or thrombosis*

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Seattle / Seattle area people - PM me if you need a pharmacy that's giving out new boosters for kids ages 5 to 11.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Also thanks everyone for the support yesterday.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A friend of mine (20 something male) asking if its normal to suddenly have their extremities be way more cold sensitive.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Raynauds? Primary usually pops up between 20 and 30 years old.

Of course, secondary raynauds is basically like "the thing that happens when ur vasculature don't work right" because of anything else.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

A friend of mine (20 something male) asking if its normal to suddenly have their extremities be way more cold sensitive.

I always had this to a degree but it got way, way worse in my 20s and 30s, to the point where if I'm not wearing winter socks from like the end of September until May, I get unbearable chilblains. But I know I've seen it as a Long COVID symptom, and then the whole COVID Toe thing too.

These socks are a godsend either way. The ones i bought a few years ago are still holding up really well.
https://www.peoplesocks.com/

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Computer Serf posted:

viral autoimmune hepatitis? immune evasion by binding to bilirubin?

drat, gilbert's syndrome is no longer the vibe!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

At PDX, charitably I'd say 5% masking but that's probably high. I did see one other elastomeric wearer at security but they were too far off to exchange head nods. Time to go pay respects to my dead grandmother and hopefully avoid getting got.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
[Pestilence] Press pax to pay respects

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spoondick posted:

We’re bringing back the good old centuries when eighty percent of children wasted away before adulthood.

mdemone posted:

This but blood lead levels.

Oh wait.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Oct 1, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Friday was last day at old job and fortunately I had been on vacation all week so didn't have to go to the office but covid had been tearing through it, 2 confirmed people and one sick guy as of the start of the week, said sick guy had spent all day in the same truck as one of the confirmed cases. This is an office of like 10 people so you know, a sizeable chunk and kind of cluttered so I'm sure there's a few other people who had been in prolonged close contact with one of the other 3 that simply weren't sick yet.

I show up wearing a mask to do my exit/drop stuff off and such and first thing everyone asks is if I had covid. No, I simply didn't want to get it from them haha, but then my boss insists that the most recent person who had been in the office this week didn't have covid despite getting sick a week after hanging out with a now known covid positive guy because he took a RAT and it said negative.

It's like oh now you guys believe the tests (same group of people that in 2020/2021 said that tests were wrong and just inflating covid numbers to make people scared for political reasons), fortunately when I pointed out that RATs weren't super accurate in the best of times and seem to be particularly non accurate with recent strains so I'd only believe a negative pcr at this point the QA manager agreed with me that said 3rd person probably did have covid and a pcr would confirm it.

Monday is first day of new job which means orientation time which I presume means sitting in rooms full of people for badging and such so that'll be fun. At least the position is hybrid and potentially full wfh once it gets going, but the team I'll be on is p small anyways.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Sooo has a single person here managed to get their under-5 kiddo the new shot, or even heard of someone who has?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Walgreens used to have a notice saying pediatric appts would be available starting some time last week but now it says vax for under-12 isn't available yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

techs way more annoying now and interfaces keep changing though.

that's from enshittification though, moving from user friendly UIs to ones designed to extract maximum value like a gacha game