Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
10am showing of Saw X brought out the weirdos. Like 5 other people were in the theater and one guy chose to sit in the first row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I thoroughly enjoyed M3GAN. But I'm in tune with what Gerard Johnstone puts down.

In other news, I've got my horror channel up and running for the season and I am settled in. And the first movie to play is Elvira: Mistress of the Dark!

What a wonderful way to start the season :allears:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark good? Or just kind of a pass.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It’s pretty neat, it has its moments.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wow saw x was really good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

It’s pretty neat, it has its moments.

The absolutely nailed the monster design, which (let's be honest) is the only thing about those books worth remembering.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saw rankings for me

Saw
Saw X

Lol but still. If they can win over a hater who’s seen every movie I’d imagine they could satisfy the fans

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Here's a list of stuff I had a positive impression of this year; I put an asterisk on the handful that I would say are 'must watches', but your mileage may vary.

The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster
Wrath of Becky
The Blackening
The Boogeyman
Brooklyn 45
Cobweb
Enys Men
* Evil Dead Rise
Huesera: The Bone Woman
Infinity Pool
Influencer
Insidious: The Red Door
Kids vs. Aliens
Knock at the Cabin
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
New Religion
* No One Will Save You
Older Gods
* The Devil’s Exorcist
Renfield
* Scream IV
Sick
Slotherhouse
* Talk To Me
* Unwelcome

A thing I love about the forums is the quickest, best, most thorough answers come from the horror thread. You go over to SAL or something to ask a question, a day later someone will probably answer your question but just as likely you accidentally got the biology* thread arguing about some protein you can’t understand.

But the horror thread? You get sixteen different answers, all of them very good, in like 4 minutes. It seems like you even had it ready to copy-paste it from somewhere (the intermittent alphabetization).

Hell yeah.

*just as an example. Bio thread is lovely. And I treat the linguistics thread like an anti-Functionalist Octagon so I’m in no place to judge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The rope scene in Saw X is so good. I was the only one in the theater who found it funny

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Stellar for kid friendly horror, still pretty good for adult perspective.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought it was boring and there’s better stuff out there for kids to watch like Fear Street or It Chapter 1

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
October Motm is up

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gee, I don't need that paycheck to y'know...pay bills.

God the Christopher Lee ones look gorgeous.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
On the way home from my midnight movie. Eraserhead... hits different now that I'm a parent. :stare:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

On the way home from my midnight movie. Eraserhead... hits different now that I'm a parent. :stare:

Wait is that not what yours looks like.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Here's a list of stuff I had a positive impression of this year; I put an asterisk on the handful that I would say are 'must watches', but your mileage may vary.

Wrath of Becky
The Blackening
The Boogeyman
Brooklyn 45
Cobweb
Enys Men
* Evil Dead Rise
Infinity Pool
Influencer
Insidious: The Red Door
Kids vs. Aliens
Knock at the Cabin
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
New Religion
* No One Will Save You
Older Gods
* The Devil’s Exorcist
Renfield
* Scream IV
Sick
Slotherhouse
* Talk To Me
* Unwelcome

Thanks, great list. Excited to check some of these out along with with those criterion horror collections.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

checkplease posted:

Maybe been asked already, but what are the must watch horrors from this year? Spooky season so time to catch up on all the horrors I missed.

Checking my Letterboxd to refresh my memory on stuff I loved, outside of the top 10 (Saw X is my top 3 for the year period, def didn't need a refresher for that):

Saw X
Beau is Afraid
Soft Liquid Center*
No One Will Save You
Enys Men
Talk to Me
Scream 6
Evil Dead Rise
Infinity Pool
Project Wolf Hunting
M3GAN
Beaten to Death
The Bigfoot Trap
Spoonful of Sugar
Brooklyn 45
Divinity*
Sick
Godless: The Eastfield Exorcism
Brightwood
Influencer
The Passenger
El Conde
Cobweb
Trim Season*
Tearsucker
We Might Hurt Each Other
The Wrath of Becky
Malum
Unwelcome
The Elderly
Wintertide*

* are stuff I saw in film festivals and am not quite sure got wide release outside of that yet. Beaten to Death, Bigfoot Trap, Brightwood, Tearsucker and We Might Hurt Each Other I saw in festivals and know have gotten VOD releases since

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Looking back at my Letterboxd and cinema visits this year, my recommends are:

M3GAN, Unwelcome, Cocaine Bear, Scream 6, The Pope's Exorcist, Evil Dead Rise, Beau is Afraid, Boogeyman, Talk to Me, The Blackening, Cobweb, Saw X.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh lord, those French folks are at it again. This time they're restoring the first known horror anthology movie, Unheimliche Geschichten (Eerie Tales) from 1919.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eerie-tales-new-4k-restoration-and-blu-ray#/

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CelticPredator posted:

The rope scene in Saw X is so good. I was the only one in the theater who found it funny

i laughed a lot at that and at a post-"surgery" jigsaw with a new lease on life still sketching torture implements

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Oh lord, those French folks are at it again. This time they're restoring the first known horror anthology movie, Unheimliche Geschichten (Eerie Tales) from 1919.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eerie-tales-new-4k-restoration-and-blu-ray#/

this was included with that Severin doc "Tales of the Uncanny" and it's a pretty neat movie. I don't think I'd buy it again but if you haven't seen it and you're interested in pre-code horror it's definitely worth checking out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What was the thread consensus on History of the Occult 2020. Its on Tubi. Is it worth a watch or should I instead watch Nightmare Sisters. Eh maybe I'll do both.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is good

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

this was included with that Severin doc "Tales of the Uncanny" and it's a pretty neat movie. I don't think I'd buy it again but if you haven't seen it and you're interested in pre-code horror it's definitely worth checking out.

Pre-code is a real weird time, especially for horror. You couldn't put anything too explicit on screen to avoid offending everyone's delicate sensibilities, but at the same time there were technically no rules so you could also be brutal as gently caress. In Terror Aboard (1933) the killer just shoves a fully awake woman into a freezer then comes back later when she's frozen to death.

Also, the meme thread is getting pretty spooky...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
michael myers would never dance

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Michael Myer's drives cars and dances.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he learned to drive a car by observing loomis

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Well who says Loomis can't cut a rug?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve ended up with 3 weeks off work post eye surgery so decided to start my Ictober off in the best possible way…..

By watching Halloween Havoc 1992

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want to start October off with a schlocky horror western, which is slim pickins. What should I go with?

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins

Ginger Snaps Back

From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Tremors 4 is probably the best one in the franchise other than the OG

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tremors 4 is the only one of those I saw, but it has Billy Drago, so that's enough for my vote

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Dance Therapy is a legitimate therapy practiced by psychologists and Loomis probably tried that with him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tremors 4 it is, thanks y'all!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://youtu.be/4sqYEmAy9Dg?si=f9f1cneaYo2_O7Lu

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
reconsidering some things...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What was the thread consensus on History of the Occult 2020. Its on Tubi. Is it worth a watch or should I instead watch Nightmare Sisters. Eh maybe I'll do both.
It's really good tho I wish the subtitles were a tiny bit better

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It seems like you even had it ready to copy-paste it from somewhere (the intermittent alphabetization).

I just went to Plex, sorted by 'Horror' '2023', and then typed in the ones that I was like, 'Yeah that was OK', lol

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Oh, I also forgot to say -- if anyone needs a horror anthology this year, our boy Koji has Ura Horror (2008), which is a mockumentary of just a series of 'cursed' tapes. It's a lot of fun and it's free on the Internet Archive. It tends to get overlooked in the rest of his catalogue but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the recommendation, I always forget there's more random shiraishi to be found and always take for granted how much great stuff you can find on internet archive