Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like with crypto, the tag line might as well be 'It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong'.

It's basically 'alternative medicine' applied to investing, similar to sovereign citizen garbage for law or mainstream economics. It's a collective delusion and fiction actively developed and reinforced by communities of con artists that feed on themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

cruft posted:

I know I'm going to be downvoted to hell for this, but gently caress it, the truth needs to come out.

S is the 14th letter, I is the 12th, and D is the 22nd. If we take those values as places in a base 31 counting system (31 being the number of days in the month Roy Disney was born: February), then we wind up with a decimal value of 25,431. It just so happens that the 25,431 stock issued on NYSE was QE Manufacturing, makers of Play world swing sets.

This is why I've just purchased $270,000 of stock in QEM.AX. :smug:

actually way better than buying stock in whatever bullshit dying company is being hyped up.

ED: even better is that it's owned by PlayPower, Inc. dunno what PlayPower is traded as.

JAnon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 1, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
r/BBBY appears to be getting fully sucked into the "canceled shares are good actually, we already won the world just doesn't know it yet" narrative. I knew it was going to happen and I'm still somehow surprised at how pathetic it is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Ariong posted:

I somewhat disagree with his assessment of apes as hapless stooges who don’t deserve to be ridiculed because they are victims of con artists. What this fails to consider is that the apes are also, by and large, con artists. Recruitment is one of the cult-like behaviors these communities exhibit in spades and trying to convince other people to buy in is lauded as commendable. I feel no guilt making fun of the ape posts praising the stock and railing against shillery because while they are expressions of a false belief implanted by grifters, they are also themselves recruitment efforts from people who are attempting to grift others into being the greater fool.

It's like Dan said at the end of his NFT video: The goal of these people isn't to level the playing field or make a more equitable system, regardless of how much they may couch it in those terms - it's to Be The New Boot that steps on other people, in revenge for being (or in a lot of cases just thinking they're) stepped on by the boot in the past. They talk about "wife-changing" money like they're bitter at everybody else in their lives who doesn't consider them the smartest people on the planet. They're all willing to scam and grift other people, and the only reason it sometimes looks like they aren't is because they're in a combination Prisoner's Dilemma/crab bucket and don't want to tip their hand too early. And they mostly seem to exist within the same QAnon/crypto/Sovereign Citizen circles that consider other human beings either philosophical zombies or video game NPCs to be manipulated.

What I'm saying is: gently caress 'em.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Much like with crypto, the tag line might as well be 'It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong'.

It's basically 'alternative medicine' applied to investing, similar to sovereign citizen garbage for law or mainstream economics. It's a collective delusion and fiction actively developed and reinforced by communities of con artists that feed on themselves.

I'm still seriously confused as to why they think the nonexistent BBBY shares are going to somehow transform into millions of dollars soon. I know there's some sort of idiot logic surrounding it but I can't wrap my head around it.

For instance, I listened to a Behind the Bastards episode about the alternative medicine "black salve" and I can sorta follow the evolution of the delusion- "it burns off your skin --> it also burns off cancer on your skin ---> it only burns off tissue when it's touching a cancer --> if you swallow it, it burns off the cancer internally". Insane bullshit, but I can follow the chain of idiocy to its horrific painful conclusion.

So this goes something like- "Bed Bath and Beyond goes bankrupt --> buy the shares and wait for the squeeze --> the shares drop to 7 cents --> buy more shares its gonna squeeze any minute now --> the shares cease to exist --> ??gently caress hedgies and their shorts GO BUTTERFLY?? --> the shares will reappear and massively go up in value". And I'm over here like, there aren't any more short positions cause the stock is gone. Where is the money supposed to come from? Why would someone put money in there when the company no longer exists? Are they literally believing in magical stock market spells or what?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

So this goes something like- "Bed Bath and Beyond goes bankrupt --> buy the shares and wait for the squeeze --> the shares drop to 7 cents --> buy more shares its gonna squeeze any minute now --> the shares cease to exist --> ??gently caress hedgies and their shorts GO BUTTERFLY?? --> the shares will reappear and massively go up in value". And I'm over here like, there aren't any more short positions cause the stock is gone. Where is the money supposed to come from? Why would someone put money in there when the company no longer exists? Are they literally believing in magical stock market spells or what?

It all really seems to boil down to them deifying this ryan cohen guy and saying that this is all his master plan to destroy amazon and the entire financial system and make them, personally, mega wealthy, and he's telling them his plan via children's story books he wrote about his grand father.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

RocketMermaid posted:

What I'm saying is: gently caress 'em.

Too late they already did that to themselves

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Where is the money supposed to come from? Why would someone put money in there when the company no longer exists? Are they literally believing in magical stock market spells or what?

They're waiting now for the second coming. I wouldn't be surprised if a narrative emerges about how now they need to buy GameStop so that when the Savior Corporation emerges and their stock is reissued they get even more moon lambos.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They pushed the "buy" button on a website, this one herculean effort means that they should get given all the money in the universe.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
yep 20230930-DK-BUTTERFLY-1 definitely sounds like a company that's going places

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m watching the Dan Ohlson video and while I know I’m understanding this, I also feel like I’m having someone explain a Dr. Bronner’s bottle to me.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Mercury_Storm posted:

yep 20230930-DK-BUTTERFLY-1 definitely sounds like a company that's going places

B&B Textile Corporation, :lmao:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

teen witch posted:

I’m watching the Dan Ohlson video and while I know I’m understanding this, I also feel like I’m having someone explain a Dr. Bronner’s bottle to me.

Wow, you totally nailed that description, this is exactly what it felt like!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can actually brush your teeth with direct registered shares

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a chemical burn in my eye from Dr. Bronner's once and had to go to the ER.

I dropped the big peppermint wash bottle on the shower floor and a stream shot up directly into my eyeball. It hurt.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Good video.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got a chemical burn in my eye from Dr. Bronner's once and had to go to the ER.

I dropped the big peppermint wash bottle on the shower floor and a stream shot up directly into my eyeball. It hurt.

Paladinus posted:

Good video.

:agreed:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

teen witch posted:

LMAO fantastic analogy.

Did you forget to dilute it? That's on you. After all, it clearly says to dilute it right on the bottle, in tiny text squeezed between 2000 words of crazed rambling.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ariong posted:

Did you forget to dilute it? That's on you. After all, it clearly says to dilute it right on the bottle, in tiny text squeezed between 2000 words of crazed rambling.

Well I use it as a body wash so I just squirt some of it onto my loofa and that's the dilution since it gets mixed with a lot of water when I scrunch it up over and over again to get the bubbles. :)

It would probably be safer to pre-dilute it. Although yeah, I didn't get to the dilution text for quite a while after I was reading the insane screeds. I literally had no idea it was for cleaning floors and poo poo too. I thought it was just a body wash. My right eye learned the hard way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I actually discovered the text about diluting it while idly reading it in the shower one day, after having already gone through like a third of the bottle. I was like, wait, is this stuff not supposed to burn when you use it? That's probably why I'm going bald now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teen witch posted:

This is a tangent, but for a video that kind of does that latter thing the documentary Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox I remember as being good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881909/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm not American so I've never heard of this Dr Bronners stuff. But is 'Can give you chemical burns' if you don't follow the very unclear instructions a good idea to use as a body wash, and how is that a thing that endures in the most litigious country on Earth?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ariong posted:

I actually discovered the text about diluting it while idly reading it in the shower one day, after having already gone through like a third of the bottle. I was like, wait, is this stuff not supposed to burn when you use it? That's probably why I'm going bald now.

:same:

:hfive:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It would probably be safer to pre-dilute it.

Don't do that: it creates an environment that can breed bacteria, or so my nursey wife insists.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Deptfordx posted:

I'm not American so I've never heard of this Dr Bronners stuff. But is 'Can give you chemical burns' if you don't follow the very unclear instructions a good idea to use as a body wash, and how is that a thing that endures in the most litigious country on Earth?

They're not going to get successfully sued because the text on the bottle saying to dilute it is too small. Not in a million years. The idea of Americans having a penchant for suing companies because they injured themselves in stupid ways by using products unsafely is extremely overblown, and that narrative is heavily pushed by corporate interests lobbying to deprive consumers of their right to sue companies for injuries inflicted via negligence.

The classic example of this is the infamous "McDonald's hot coffee" lawsuit. The version of that story that a lot of people know, thanks in large part to people pushing for tort reform legislation to limit people's ability to sue big companies, is simply that a lady ordered a coffee from McDonald's, spilled some on herself, and sued McDonald's for it. Imagine that, suing someone because you spilled a little coffee on yourself, ha! Well, the reality of the situation is that the coffee she was given was so hot that, when she spilled it into her lap, it caused third degree burns on her thighs and crotch. Be careful if you do research into this story because the photos of her injuries are public record and they are horrifying. She sued McDonald's for the cost of her medical treatment and not a penny more. McDonald's refused to pay and took the matter to court. The jury was so aghast at irresponsibility and callousness of McDonald's that they ruled she should receive millions in punitive damages which she did not even ask for.

When you hear a story about a silly American suing some poor innocent corporation because they clearly lack personal responsibility, I would say that 2/3 times it's actually a laundered story of corporate malfeasance like the one above. It's a good thing we have amazing companies like GameStop we can buy things from with a clear conscience. So we do buy. We buy and buy and buy, and then we post what we bought to show our loyalty to our amazing company and its amazing products. Like batteries, and video games, and computers, and batteries.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Why does gamestop have their own brand of batteries...

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Boxturret posted:

My dude the last time I was in a Gamestop they were selling gift cards to Olive Garden

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Froghammer posted:

My dude the last time I was in a Gamestop they were selling gift cards to Olive Garden

Gamestop branded Olive Garden gift cards?

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Boxturret posted:

It all really seems to boil down to them deifying this ryan cohen guy and saying that this is all his master plan to destroy amazon and the entire financial system and make them, personally, mega wealthy, and he's telling them his plan via children's story books he wrote about his grand father.

Oh, so Ryan Cohen is gonna resurrect the shares and make capitalism great again via billionaire magic, and they learned all this through secret schizo codes like in Qanon. Got it.

Ariong posted:

Are you really supposed to dilute Dr Bronners before using as a body wash? I never found the peppermint tingling that unpleasant. Then again I also don't put it on my crotch (unlike one of my family members, whose yelping was audible from across the house).

Ariong posted:

Well, the reality of the situation is that the coffee she was given was so hot that, when she spilled it into her lap, it caused third degree burns on her thighs and crotch. Be careful if you do research into this story because the photos of her injuries are public record and they are horrifying. She sued McDonald's for the cost of her medical treatment and not a penny more. McDonald's refused to pay and took the matter to court. The jury was so aghast at irresponsibility and callousness of McDonald's that they ruled she should receive millions in punitive damages which she did not even ask for.

I cannot stress enough how much you should not look at the pictures of her injuries. It's a complete travesty that her case is used as an example of "frivolous" product law suits.

Dunning Krugerrand fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 2, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The proliferation of arbitration clauses is similarly bad, but not as bad as the disingenuous push for "tort reform."

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just LOL if you're not strong enough to handle spicy peppermint crotch.

I cannot stress enough how much you should not look at the pictures of her injuries. It's a complete travesty that her case is used as an example of "frivolous" product law suits.

Listen to this. It's horrible. Her labia were plasticized.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lmao, they're so desperate for straws to grasp they'll take anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBBY/comments/16x78a2/20230930dkbutterfly1_inc_is_incorporated_in/

20230930-DK-BUTTERFLY-1, INC is incorporated in Delaware, not anymore in New York. This removed the restriction of max 20% ownership and allowed for a Change of Control! posted:

None of this is financial advice. You should do your own research.

Part DD, part speculation.

While discussing on Discord today, my friend Badger published this picture below and remembered us about previous discussions on the restrictions BBBY had by being incorporated in New York.

The main one was that a maximum beneficial ownership of 20% is allowed. Any ownership higher than that would need to be approved by all shareholders formally.

https://preview.redd.it/2p6lmvsqlmrb1.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b32aba496a52097be9f36c1ce05eedc7f98a772

Although NEW YORK still appears as shown by the purple circle, the text states "a Delaware Corporation".

Is it an inconsistency? A mistake?

We went to the Delaware's official website to have a look:

https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/ecorp/entitysearch/namesearch.aspx

This was the result:

https://preview.redd.it/k0oioj7vlmrb1.png?width=1196&format=png&auto=webp&s=f0f390b1e837ab23c1d04fb5ef6a3304df455225

https://preview.redd.it/c3llpoh1vmrb1.png?width=804&format=png&auto=webp&s=efb500b42575f5aa374094d290024e74348a1793

The Agent's registration in DE is what defines the incorporation place.

https://preview.redd.it/4eiocix2vmrb1.png?width=479&format=png&auto=webp&s=60d1ef34dc447bbab9706792ef4b7e47b70cbe4e

Foreign in residency means that the company's address is not in the same state where it is registered.

So since the company was registered in Delaware, there was no more 20% limitation for beneficially ownership.

We believe this was the trigger missing to allow for a Change of Control. Someone holding all those shares in abeyance could now ask the company to remove them from abeyance, allowing them to be hold under beneficial ownership.

If 50%+ is/was reached, it triggers/ed a change of control.

Speculation: maybe the cancelling of shares was the step needed to avoid the voting under NY Incorporation, then allowing the company to change the Incorporation place to Delaware without needing to vote on it.

The path is clear now for the company to reissue the shares, if they can take care of the class 6 claims in full somehow.

Well done, Badger!

Edit: 2 additional pictures added.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

super sweet best pal posted:

quote:

The path is clear now for the company to reissue the shares, if they can take care of the class 6 claims in full somehow.

bullish

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

somehow

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

somehow Bed Bath and Beyond returned

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

The lore here is that Ryan Cohen or some other person will merge the corpse of Bed Bath and Beyond with another company and issue new shares in that company to current holders. In some other bankruptcies like American Airlines they’ve cancelled shares and then reissued new shares. However this is all spelled out in the approved plan in those cases and it is not in the BBBY case. Up until the plan was effective they were convinced that there would be an amendment adding the share exchange but they kinda just forgot about that part since it didn’t happen.

Why would they believe this is happening? The bankruptcy attorneys that BBBY hired specialized in mergers and acquisitions because they were trying to sell off pieces of the business to pay off debtors. This resulted in a lot of billing line items in official disclosures that had labels similar to M&A activity. On Sept 29th they also found a billing line item from the law firm that read something like “AST share issuance direction” which they took as absolute proof that they were getting issued new shares. This line item, of course, has no legal force so even if it was what they think it was (it’s not) it doesn’t matter because the plan that wipes them out is effective and can no longer be changed.

As for why anyone would want to merge with a bankrupt company? There’s a whole bunch of idiotic theories about why Cohen would want to do it. The first is that some people don’t realize that they’ve already liquidated everything. The second is that net operating losses could be brought forward to the new company for great tax savings. Of course the NOLs aren’t worth more than the debt of the company, so there’s a third idea that Cohen can pull some Yu Gi Oh trap card bullshit where the debtor agree to forgive the debt and then he can merge with the corpse after the debt is forgiven and keep the NOLs. Then the people that realize that’s stupid as well have a final theory that Cohen might want to because the massive short position (which doesn’t exist) would be converted to the new stock, which would proceed to run up triggering a short squeeze. Cohen would then issue new stock at the height of the squeeze funding his new company handsomely. So basically even more Yu Gi Oh trap card bullshit.

ryde fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 2, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't think this is going to turn into anything more interesting. It's just a bunch of gambling addicts refusing to believe the patronizing financial eggheads were right, and digging in.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The personal appeals to spend money on garbage from dying stores is always the most pathetic part to me. It's like they subtly acknowledge tht the company isn't as godlike as they had claimed and then spend their last $20 on towels or batteries as if that's going to turn around the garbage company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Boxturret posted:

The RadioShack path to profitability.