Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the other thing to keep in mind is that the sample I see is the fuckups, not the well and properly run stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SlimGoodbody posted:

I could easily do this because I actually really enjoy my wife's company and we've been best friends since high school. L + git gud + skill issue + I have true love

The best part of that movie is that it's implied the woman wins the money and donates a ton to the homeless shelter where her dad lives, but doesn't actually do anything to help her dad not be homeless anymore.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

i wonder if there is a correlation between what types of items people thieve and what the perceived "price-gouging" factor is of said items is.

I mean, I'd imagine statistics show it's need based (baby formula) and/or a robust secondary market existing for the good (laundry detergent) - is there a "Spite-Based" category of retail theft? Like "Screw paying $45 for this pocketable-good which I'm sure cost 50 cents to manufacture".

Do people thieve items more when the perceived value proposition is that of a Rip-Off? I'm not sure how one would go about measuring that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yeah my immediate reaction to that Mr beast tweet was “so if the other person tries to leave what are the limits on how you can keep them in and still qualify for the money at the end” because i bet an uncomfortable number of americans, at least, would be willing to do a great deal of violence in order to escape crushing poverty

e: ^^ physical size (how pocketable is this) to cost ratio is probably more important than just cost/rip-off factor but i have to imagine there’s a pretty strong correlation

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Oct 1, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Junkiebev posted:

is there a "Spite-Based" category of retail theft? Like "Screw paying $45 for this pocketable-good which I'm sure cost 50 cents to manufacture".

yes; god blesses those who steal expensive oil and watercolor paints from hobby lobbys and sell them to tattooers 1000x over

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

yeah my immediate reaction to that Mr beast tweet was “so if the other person tries to leave what are the limits on how you can keep them in and still qualify for the money at the end” because i bet an uncomfortable number of americans, at least, would be willing to do a great deal of violence in order to escape crushing poverty

e: ^^ physical size (how pocketable is this) to cost ratio is probably more important than just cost/rip-off factor but i have to imagine there’s a pretty strong correlation

has black mirror not done a “big brother” episode with this conceit with the twist obviously being that they were ai simulations for a betting pool, because if not i have a script going

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

has black mirror not done a “big brother” episode with this conceit with the twist obviously being that they were ai simulations for a betting pool, because if not i have a script going

Just seems like “15 Million Merits” but with a Saw coating.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

yes; god blesses those who steal expensive oil and watercolor paints from hobby lobbys and sell them to tattooers 1000x over

hobby lobbys all about people stealing stuff morons think is worth a ton of money

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Mustached Demon posted:

hobby lobbys all about people stealing stuff morons think is worth a ton of money

get your own sheet of hobby lobby price stickers and go nuts

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I ordered some of the pain floss, sounds awesome.

LETS RIP

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

That's the one, it's great at making your hands bleed as much as the gums

:D for sure. Consider checking out a Waterpik if you haven’t, beats $10 a packet floss imo. I tried to find it in bulk online for cheap but couldn’t source anything :shrug: just way too pricey for my blood. The pik pays for itself pretty quick vs continually shellin’ on the floss. And while my dentist loves coco floss, the pik is her top recommendation.

That being said the best floss is the one you actually do. A lot of people don’t like or understand how to waterpik and kinda let it collect dust.

palindrome posted:

I ordered some of the pain floss, sounds awesome.

LETS RIP

tbh it wasn’t noticeably more painful for me, well, just the price, was not the experience. It definitely works great though and its super sturdy which can help if your teeth can shred normal floss.

Taima has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Oct 1, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Junkiebev posted:

i wonder if there is a correlation between what types of items people thieve and what the perceived "price-gouging" factor is of said items is.

I mean, I'd imagine statistics show it's need based (baby formula) and/or a robust secondary market existing for the good (laundry detergent) - is there a "Spite-Based" category of retail theft? Like "Screw paying $45 for this pocketable-good which I'm sure cost 50 cents to manufacture".

Do people thieve items more when the perceived value proposition is that of a Rip-Off? I'm not sure how one would go about measuring that.

When I was like 19 I worked for this lovely local clothing company that was importing just the absolute cheapest falling apart poo poo from slave labor manufacturing and half the time we'd get stuff missing buttons, sizes were all over the place, etc and we would sell it for like 20$ for a stretch cami or like 120$ for a coat and this was in like 2006.

I felt so exploited by the company and I felt so bad about customers getting taken by them that I absolutely would nab random poo poo especially broken things and then just fix them myself.

I definitely felt very spiteful about it.

Re paints: aim for windsor newton, michael harding paints, new amsterdam, and gamblin brands. also holbein.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Oct 1, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm shredding that normal floss, which didn't happen until the last few years. The conspiracy minded hygienist I sometimes get said it's a plot by Big Floss to lower the quality of their product, I'm not crazy to notice recently

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

palindrome posted:

I'm shredding that normal floss, which didn't happen until the last few years. The conspiracy minded hygienist I sometimes get said it's a plot by Big Floss to lower the quality of their product, I'm not crazy to notice recently

Oh, my guy, if you’re shreddin floss then welcome to coco paradise.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pain floss sounds like what some women would call thong underwear.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Taima posted:

The pik pays for itself pretty quick vs continually shellin’ on the floss.

Perio sez this is an all hands on deck situation, and it's a great example of value based pricing: if I can maybe cut back the perio visit to 1x/year using this poo poo, it's still worth it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

remove your teeth, they are an unnecessary experience. been thinking about this recently too. my diet doesn't require them and their maintenance is costly

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Junkiebev posted:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it depends on the chain and their staffing levels and which inventory management system they got sold.

think about the changes since covid started. there are grocery stores one goes into where even during the day staffing is barely enough to have the self checkout and one lane running. The customer service desk is floating between that station and self checkout. So 2-3 people in the store. they aren’t managing to even get carts back in. Somedays they don’t get the butcher or deli counter open here.

my assumption is that non grocery retail is seeing the same conditions. I’m only watching the grocery closely because I chat about it with my dad ( who has done retail for well over half a century)

they can’t do a full inventory staffed like that. This condition is managements fault.

that’s the acute problem. before the pandemic the systemic problem was the general trend to reduce staffing that went along with JIT, employees being just another inventory to reduce as much as possible. they’ve had tools like the dynamic scheduling software to get full time staff levels down. they’ve transitioned away from full time folks as much as possible.

so if they’ve been stupid yes, it’s not a thing anymore. if they’ve run the business well inventory still happening. I’d suspect this is even varying within some chains at a regional manager level.

Yep, I remember doing this exact thing at Blockbuster. Also usually someone would gently caress up and we'd have to redo a whole section.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish I was better at rote memorization. I needed Greek and Latin to graduate undergrad and I cannot learn languages to save my loving life.

How do people just sit there and memorize all of the rules and tenses and conjugations?

Flash cards and actually putting in the hours of practice.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish I was better at rote memorization. I needed Greek and Latin to graduate undergrad and I cannot learn languages to save my loving life.

How do people just sit there and memorize all of the rules and tenses and conjugations?

I hired a translator to do my Ottoman Turkish take home final the second time I took the class (first time around was not take home)

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

Before Black Mirror, Charlie Brooker made Dead Set, which is about a Big Brother production during a zombie outbreak.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

get your own sheet of hobby lobby price stickers and go nuts

I used to do something like this with xx% off stickers at virgin megastore worked like a charm

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

Copying conjugation and declension tables over and over and over, and then when I was reading I would test myself to see if I could decline and conjugate every relevant word in a paragraph

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we inventory about 40k units of medications twice a year and about 6k units of controlled substances once a week as well as a few semirandom spot checks every day... when something goes missing we notice it quickly and can usually track down what happened very accurately with task timestamps and cameras and such

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

i'm willing to believe that medications have tighter controls than other retail goods, and will for at least a few more years in the us

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yep, I remember doing this exact thing at Blockbuster. Also usually someone would gently caress up and we'd have to redo a whole section.

You are my comrade in arms. Blockbuster was such a uniquely bizarre piece of awful retail work.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

my current employer runs the whole store like that because they're big on tight inventory controls, when i worked at cvs there was the state-mandaded biannual controlled substance inventory required by law performed exclusively by the pharmacist and a yearly inventory performed by a van or two full of carnies because cvs hates paying for labor for little things like making sure you're not $400k overstocked on 5 medications

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

LonsomeSon posted:

i'm willing to believe that medications have tighter controls than other retail goods, and will for at least a few more years in the us

California pharmacies make an estimated 5 million errors every year, according to the state’s Board of Pharmacy.

Officials at the regulatory board say they can only estimate the number of errors because pharmacies are not required to report them.

Most of the mistakes that California officials have discovered, according to citations issued by the board and reviewed by The Times, occurred at chain pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens, where a pharmacist may fill hundreds of prescriptions during a shift, while juggling other tasks such as giving vaccinations, calling doctors’ offices to confirm prescriptions and working the drive-through.

Christopher Adkins, a pharmacist who worked at CVS, and then at Vons pharmacies until March, said that management policies at the big chains have resulted in understaffed stores and overworked staff.

“At this point it’s completely unsafe,” he said.

Adkins now works at an independent pharmacy company in Los Angeles. He isn’t the only pharmacist worried that heavy workloads and distractions are leading to errors.

In a survey of California licensed pharmacists in 2021, 91% of those working at chain pharmacies said staffing wasn’t high enough to provide patients adequate care.

Although the board requires pharmacies to document errors internally, inform patients about mistakes in certain cases and learn how to prevent them from occurring again, only 62% of chain pharmacists said stores were following those rules, according to the survey.

Some errors have been deadly. More than 10% of malpractice claims against pharmacists were for injuries that resulted in death, according to a 2019 report by two insurance providers.

The leading cause of death was from overdoses, in which patients were given dosage strengths that were too high or incorrect instructions that multiplied the amount of medicine the patient received.

As many as 9,000 Americans die each year from prescription errors, according to one study.

Rarely does the public learn of the mistakes. Not only does the state not require the reporting of errors, but the big pharmacy companies often ask consumers to sign agreements demanding that they take any dispute not to court but to private arbitration panels.

Patients typically agree to arbitration when they are asked to click a box to accept the company’s terms and conditions when they pick up a prescription.

“You agree that CVS and you each waive the right to trial by a jury,” states the CVS agreement.

To begin understanding the frequency of the mistakes, the pharmacy board sponsored a bill that would require pharmacies to report every error — not publicly but to a third party outside the government. The bill would also give the pharmacist responsible for the store the ability to increase staffing if they believe the workload has become too heavy to keep patients safe.

The legislation is opposed by the California Community Pharmacy Coalition, a lobbying group representing retail pharmacies, including the big chains. The coalition has told legislators that the pharmacy staffing requirements are too rigid and that it does not want the pharmacy board to have access to the error reports, among other objections with the bill. The coalition did not respond to a request for comment.

Language in the bill being debated in Sacramento states that the board would not get access to the reports — and neither would the public. Instead the reports would be kept confidential. The third-party group receiving the error reports would periodically provide information to the pharmacy board, including how many mistakes have been reported.

The pharmacy board said it hopes to use the information to learn more about what is causing the errors and what can be done to reduce them. The bill would allow the board to publish de-identified information compiled from the data in the reports.

The bill, AB 1286, authored by Assemblymember Matt Haney, a San Francisco Democrat, has passed the Assembly and is now before the state Senate.

“Shockingly, there’s no centralized reporting mechanism for medication errors,” Haney said in an interview. “There should be transparency, and the Board of Pharmacy should have the authority to respond to protect patients. That’s not happening right now.”

Two years ago, the state Legislature passed a bill that banned chain pharmacies from setting quotas for pharmacists on the numbers of prescriptions filled, vaccines given or other activities during a shift. The law’s goal was to make the chain pharmacies safer.

In the 2021 survey, taken before that bill passed, 73% of chain pharmacists said their employer monitored the number of prescriptions filled and 62% said the company monitored the average time it took them to fill a prescription.

Despite the new law, some chain pharmacies have continued to require pharmacists to meet quotas, according to citations issued by the board. Since January 2022, at least five pharmacies have been cited for asking pharmacists to meet quotas.

CVS set quotas and measured pharmacists on the number of vaccinations they gave each week, according to a March citation issued to the company’s pharmacy in Ripon, a town in the Central Valley. The citation included a $10,000 fine.

CVS declined to answer questions about the citation. It said it did not set quotas for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians.

A pharmacy board inspection at a Walgreens in Citrus Heights in August of last year found that the store had set quotas for pharmacists on the number of COVID-19 tests dispensed and vaccinations given.

The quota was “expressly encouraged by Walgreens corporate ownership,” the citation said. The pharmacy was fined $50,000, and an additional $5,000 for the inspectors’ finding that a pharmacist had dispensed a prescription of atenolol, a blood pressure medicine, without consulting with the customer about how to safely take it. That consultation is required by state law if the drug hasn’t been given to the patient previously.

Walgreens said it disagreed with the citation and was challenging it. “Walgreens does not utilize quotas for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians,” the company said, “and was in compliance with the new law before it went into effect.”

In a nationwide move last fall, Walgreens announced that it would no longer evaluate its pharmacy staff on any task-based metrics.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

i said “tighter than other retail” not “awesome,” my goodness

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-answers.html

quote:

A 46-year-old bank executive took his own life leaving his family struggling to comprehend what had driven him to take such drastic action.

Greg Beckett from Bridgeport, New Jersey, had been working at the headquarters of Wells Fargo in Wilmington, Delaware when he jumped from the office boardroom on the 14th floor in January of this year.

The fact he left no suicide note nor showed any signs of distress in the days, weeks and months before his death only worsened the agony for friends, family and co-workers he left behind.

Greg had been responsible for Wells Fargo's internal controls, aimed at safeguarding the bank from risks but his workload had steadily increased leading to longer hours and increased stress.

His job appeared to become all-consuming with long days and meetings running as late as 11pm.

When his family became concerned, his brother and sister-in-law thinking he might have been involved in a car accident, went to his office in search of his vehicle, only to find the parking lot blocked by police.

His sudden death made little sense to his loved ones with his life outside of work seemingly going well.

He had recently moved in with girlfriend, Giovanna Muraca, and her daughters.

A devoted Philadelphia Eagles fan, the team had been performing well and Greg had gone to several games, tailgating with friends before games.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

lmao just quit your job drat

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

lmao "why could he have killed himself the eagles were doing so well?!?"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What's the word like "shrinkflation" that means "substituting with inferior product & misleading consumers with pictures"?

Stouffer's frozens were on sale so I picked up a couple, and made the mac-n-cheese-n-what-I-thought-would-be-broccoli-florets for lunch this afternoon.

The first thing I noticed is that the broccoli was all mixed up in the mac & cheese, unlike the picture on the box:

The second thing I notice, after it's cooked, is why they mixed it all up before freezing: because they've substituted the broccoli florets with inedible broccoli stalks:

Tempted to @ them with pics. :barf:

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Willa Rogers posted:

because they've substituted the broccoli florets with inedible broccoli stalks:

reminds me of my time in Tent City, AZ where the horses were fed the broccoli florets and the inmates got the stalks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DINKflation

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Spaced God posted:

lmao "why could he have killed himself the eagles were doing so well?!?"

Yeah that seemed like a batshit thing to append to that story

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It’s a good point though, I’d never kill myself if the Steelers were doing well

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Right but the stalks are both tastier and better for you than the florets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

one time at cvs another store called us and asked us what we would do if we found a sealed tamper-evident bag full of controlled substances from 8 months ago found shoved in the back of a cupboard behind some sharps containers for some reason when they already had an inventory and apparently either didn't catch the shortages or just wrote them off