Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I have 2 major problems with EGS. It doesn't tell you what drive your games are installed on and it's impossible to move games between drives w/o a full redownload. Epic acts like the only game anyone is using through EGS is Fortnite, god forbid anyone tries dealing with drive space management.

The worst bloatware of Steam is the inventory crap and all the ways Valve's swerved it, like with christmas event points and cards. All that cruft just to make a few extra bucks *off a game launcher* is pretty gross and weird. But I won't deny that as a game dev, it's very nice that getting cards for your game means more sales for very little work. Once Valve decides your game is worthy of having cards, anyway.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Remote play together is another really useful steam no added value piece of bloatware feature

It's not perfect and takes a few tries to get working sometimes but playing local coop games across the internet is very cool

Yeah! I'm very thankful for that feature's existence. It works surprisingly well when it works and I've been playing all sorts of local multiplayer games with my friends every week via RPT :)

It has some really annoying issues with controllers and moving them between slots and sometimes you have to retry or even restart Steam on both ends to get it working properly. Classic Valve never fixing glaring issues in features that they lost enthusiasm for.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Steam sucks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

kliras posted:

i wish i could just figure out why my download speeds on steam tend to be so slow. i'm sure there's a reason for it, but be nice with some ui to explain it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYubI-AoVg8

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DaveKap posted:

The worst bloatware of Steam is the inventory crap and all the ways Valve's swerved it, like with christmas event points and cards.
Oh yes, and they haven't bothered to even make it more pleasant to use after all these years. It looks and works like crap.

Back in 2014 they added a new kind of currency that you gain by uhh... melting down trading cards and community items that is used to create booster packs and they might've also wanted them to be used for trading instead of TF2 keys. The latter never happened and I've never heard of anyone talk about gems after the 2014 winter sale ended.
This feature works so poorly that I have gems taking up 5 slots in my inventory, unable to be merged. So even if I wanted to do something with them I couldn't use gems in 4 of the slots.

Also, they can't really pull back on any of this crap because it would make lots of people really mad that they lost their "investments", some have poured loads of money into this for whatever reason.

DaveKap posted:

Once Valve decides your game is worthy of having cards, anyway.
That is pretty low bar to reach and it works okay to prevent certain types of "games" from just gaming the dumb system

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 1, 2023

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

mutata posted:

Steam sucks.

Skill issue.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DaveKap posted:

I have 2 major problems with EGS. It doesn't tell you what drive your games are installed on and it's impossible to move games between drives w/o a full redownload. Epic acts like the only game anyone is using through EGS is Fortnite, god forbid anyone tries dealing with drive space management.

The worst bloatware of Steam is the inventory crap and all the ways Valve's swerved it, like with christmas event points and cards. All that cruft just to make a few extra bucks *off a game launcher* is pretty gross and weird. But I won't deny that as a game dev, it's very nice that getting cards for your game means more sales for very little work. Once Valve decides your game is worthy of having cards, anyway.

I was always curious about this, how does the process work? And how many extra sales can you attribute to the cards (rough numbers - maybe a % bump of forecast sales? I dunno.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sininu posted:

This feature works so poorly that I have gems taking up 5 slots in my inventory, unable to be merged. So even if I wanted to do something with them I couldn't use gems in 4 of the slots.

You can actually force a merge on these. Click "Pack Gems into a Sack" in the inventory with one highlighted, select as many as possible, it'll draw from all of the piles and then you can just unpack them if you want 'em in one single stack.

(Or you can sell the sacks on the market for a buck or two. Whatever works.)

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was always curious about this, how does the process work? And how many extra sales can you attribute to the cards (rough numbers - maybe a % bump of forecast sales? I dunno.)

At this point, it means much less than it once did and I'd have to pull up an old writeup I did about the completely abandoned state of the Steam card market, but the short version is there are definitely still a few bundle sites which will flag "hey, these games have cards, if that means something to you" on their pages. As for the "How the process works", at this point, to counter the lowest-effort trash, your game cannot have cards or the associated wallpapers/emotes/etc. until it hits a certain sales (and users-booted, I've heard said but unconfirmed?) threshold. Most games on the store now debut with this status:

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2023

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

mutata posted:

Steam sucks.

Surely you mean Steam blows.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

claw game handjob posted:

You can actually force a merge on these. Click "Pack Gems into a Sack" in the inventory with one highlighted, select as many as possible, it'll draw from all of the piles and then you can just unpack them if you want 'em in one single stack.

(Or you can sell the sacks on the market for a buck or two. Whatever works.)

Nope, it doesn't pull from all piles, only from the one that actually has 1000 or more gems. Clicking that button on piles that have less does nothing. If it worked I would've done it all the way back in 2014.

Though, thanks to testing it I learned that sacks cost nearly 30 cents so yay free money.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 1, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sininu posted:

Nope, it doesn't pull from all piles, only from the one that actually has 1000 or more gems. Clicking that button on piles that have less does nothing. If it worked I would've done it all the way back in 2014.

Though, thanks to testing it I learned that sacks cost nearly 30 cents so yay free money.

That's weird, I've had to do the same before. That might actually be a bug... which is not a shock, because again, this feature is loving abandoned now.

vvvvv edit: I'm convinced the only reason the cards still exist is they're the only reliable/"cheap" way to get profile XP, which is still tied to maximum friendslist cap as an anti-bot/spam protection. The points shop completely murdered the market for the emotes/wallpapers.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 1, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cards get depreciated soon anyways. I have to admit I kind of dig what they're doing with the points shop. Random free bullshit I get when I buy crap on steam? Sure, I'm game. I've had a bit of fun buying avatars with their fun bux and annoying emotes to spam at my friends when I'm LFG'ing them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I will admit the last time I tried, I couldn't make cards for my game. I just checked now and it appears I've been approved so nevermind my little grudge on that front.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the cards get depreciated soon anyways.
It's never happening. It generates too much revenue for a lot of people.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 1, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have to admit I kind of dig what they're doing with the points shop. Random free bullshit I get when I buy crap on steam? Sure, I'm game. I've had a bit of fun buying avatars with their fun bux and annoying emotes to spam at my friends when I'm LFG'ing them.

Huh, I just checked and I have over 200,000 points. Guess I'll get these weird pixel cat avatars.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the cards get depreciated soon anyways.

when's the last time anything in steam was deprecated

the integrated chess game was, i suppose, but that was forever ago

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EGS sucks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Perhaps the same can be said of all storefronts.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Really jonesing for some layoffs so this thread can talk about anything else.

Really though, EGS didn't do what Steam did 20 years ago and try to build out with their already (very large) audience. They just threw a bunch of money at the problem and tried to blitzscale ala Uber/AirBNB/etc. Except there was already a much more resilient marketplace they were competing with, and the price savings weren't as drastic. Like yeah, EGS gives away FREE GAMES, but big cheap steam sales are a well-known occurrence. I like to see blitzscaling fail, so that's cool imo (sans layoffs).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it might be time for the EGS/Steam discussion to be over, or at least to move out of this thread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dracula would be into EGS, but mostly for the disruption.

Belmont would be into Steam, and like full on disco flashing catgirl animated avatar "into Steam."

Allucard would be way, way too loving into GOG and also insist on telling you about it, and his opinions re: DRM, all the goddamned time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm just tired of installing storefronts and launchers

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

You can buy boosters with them easily. In that feature it's simply "total number" not "total number in stack". I've done it a bunch of times.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I ended up buying stuff on Steam that I owned on Epic because the Deck integration is so nice despite being able to launch Epic games too. I dunno, Steam has a lot of cool features that I like. Neither store lets you use the other store's account as a login method despite Epic supporting basically everything else. I've had bad customer support experiences from both companies, with a slightly better record from Valve.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's draw a line under the Epic/Steam conversation now please.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Finally we can talk about MINECRAFT LANUCHER

Orv
May 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Let's draw a line under the Epic/Steam conversation now please.

So about that Ubisoft launcher

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mutata posted:

Finally we can talk about MINECRAFT LANUCHER

The best one is Prism.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let's draw a line under the conversations now please.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Command prompt is obviously the superior launcher

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jack Trades posted:

Let's draw a line under the conversations now please.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

(I didn稚 draw it but I hope it痴 ok)

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
https://www.eurogamer.net/significant-job-losses-likely-at-worms-publisher-team17-sources

Looks like team17 is the next group of devs up on the chopping block, 2023 has been a real massacre

quote:

UPDATE 2.45pm UK: Team17 has now confirmed it has begun "a period of consultation" ahead of the restructure reported by Eurogamer this morning, in which significant job losses are expected.

The company has additionally confirmed the departure of CEO Michael Pattison, who it described as having "amicably parted ways".

"In response to the reports concerning the departure of Michael Pattison from Team17, we can confirm we have amicably parted ways with Michael," a spokesperson said (thanks, VG247). We can also confirm that we have sadly entered into a period of consultation today within Team17 Digital, with Astragon and Storytoys remaining unaffected by the restructuring plans."

Orv
May 4, 2011
They致e published a bunch of good indie games in recent years, including the Blasphemouses (Blasphemii, Blasphemeroms) and Trepang 2 so that痴 a bummer.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Classic restructuring as in your-job-just-got-outsourced:

quote:

Around 50 roles - the vast majority of Team17's QA department - are at risk as part of a major restructuring process, as the company opts to outsource its QA work instead.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/galyonkin/status/1708836762716398033
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1708862355763822609

so what is "epic 5.0" supposed to be?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What were the other ones?

1.0 Epic Megagames/shareware
2.0 Unreal/UT?
3.0 The Unreal Engine Company?
4.0 The Fortnite/EGS company?

edit: I remember like 15 years ago there was some weird "Epic Classics" mail order company still apparently selling the retail versions of their shareware for north of $40 a piece.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 2, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Epic Games is going to launch their own competitor to Twitter.

I am only like... 65% joking about this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Not so easy to launch a store is it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Man I really wonder what is going on with Epic. If they gently caress up the last 3 months of this Fortnite chapter and the live event idk how next year shakes out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Man I really wonder what is going on with Epic. If they gently caress up the last 3 months of this Fortnite chapter and the live event idk how next year shakes out for them.

They make 5 gorillion dollars instead of 6 and are totally fine.