Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

The final battle in ReRise is also a response to the final battle in Divers. The final battle in Divers has the entire GBN playerbase outside of Riku's team fighting to kill Sarah because her existence is messing up their game. As I and many others pointed out, this makes them all look like absolute psychos.

The final battle in ReRise has the entire GBN playerbase fighting to stop Alus. But, Alus can't do anything to them. he can't break the game, he can't kill anybody, he is completely powerless to actually cause any harm when he's in GBN. The only stakes are freeing Alus's soul so he can be reborn.

At the end of Divers, the entire GBN playerbase worked to try to kill an AI. At the end of ReRise, the entire GBN playerbase works to try to save an AI's soul. Every single loving character from Divers gets a redemptive arc in ReRise.

I still find it hilarious how the response to "Whoops our game's so shittily-coded a bunch of rounding errors tricked themselves into sentience" was met by the dev team with "That's unexpected behaviour. We should push a patch live to fix that exploit asap".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still find it hilarious how the response to "Whoops our game's so shittily-coded a bunch of rounding errors tricked themselves into sentience" was met by the dev team with "That's unexpected behaviour. We should push a patch live to fix that exploit asap".

Realistic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I dunno, a responsive dev team?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu_game/status/1708353549325729968?t=voBwHacQ_8LafUK2NGcgpA&s=19

This is not an IBO suit, it has a waist

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The pirate Gusion had waist armor as well. It's rare in IBO suits, but not unknown.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1708499261183463823?t=N6odedhEYdMeLKgznWzEGQ&s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always forget that the regnal year changed. Is it an actual big deal in Japan or is it just something in the background like the Charles replacing the Elizabeth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think it's a massive deal, but it's handy for a lot of long running media franchises to section off different eras, like Kamen Rider and such

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It helps me keep track of Godzilla movies so it's worthwhile.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/PlanOrdo/status/1708588174153306156?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

haha nice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHM5CqGcTJU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got thinking about Ep 4 of Unicorn and the Zeon Remnants. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but I appreciated how durable a lot of the older Zeon suits are than the Sleeves machines and Feddie suits. Firsr generation mobile suits using heavier armour before the mass proliferation of beam weapons makes things like the Juaggu or the Zogok really drat sturdy during their fight scenes. Meanwhile the Zee Zulu got wiped almost instantly by the Byarlant.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1709301925479367026

Time to watch 100 episodes of anime in 4 days

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skip tri for sure. Huge waste of time

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Finished IBO last night. Probably one of my favorites largely due to vibes and (admittedly inconsistent) art. The battles seemed pretty well thought out for the most part too.

It got more silly the longer it went on and had some pretty dumb plot moments that were lampshaded by time skips (Mika having Iok (maybe Carta) pinned after they killed Buscuit at the end of one episode, then in the next episode they were back with their unit in a different battle weeks later, being the worst offender). The harem fantasy is also the MOST present in this Gundam afaik which isn’t great but at least there are a couple interesting portrayals of polyamory considering they tried to justify it from Naze’s weird stuff to Atra discovering her feelings on the matter. They even let a character be gay (after his crush died)!

I think this show’s Lt Emma (coolest character) is Akihiro? I guess Mika is cool, but pretty one-note. The Lt Jarid (incompetent shitheel) is probably Iok, although Iok had like one redeeming quality, whereas Jarid did not have any. McGillis’ name never stopped being funny to me. He super sucks btw. Orga also kinda sucks.

The ending was a real bummer, but actually pretty realistic at least in terms of how it worked out for Tekkaden. It was definitely the path they were on. Every time Orga promised to take them to the happy place he meant death.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
The Gundam has a middle name and it’s Lupus

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

Got thinking about Ep 4 of Unicorn and the Zeon Remnants. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but I appreciated how durable a lot of the older Zeon suits are than the Sleeves machines and Feddie suits. Firsr generation mobile suits using heavier armour before the mass proliferation of beam weapons makes things like the Juaggu or the Zogok really drat sturdy during their fight scenes. Meanwhile the Zee Zulu got wiped almost instantly by the Byarlant.

Doesn't hurt that the majority of the Federation suits they were initially fighting were just GM's and Nemos

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Insert the bad "Zeon is fighting for a Cause, the Federation is fighting for Nothing" explanation here as to why Feddie Mooks consistently job harder than a mid carder against Roman Reigns or John Cena.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Orga was kinda meh but he went out like a total Chad so that was good at least.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's funny how in tomino's work the zeon holdouts on earth are just some useless weirdos in the Sahara while everyone else writes them like the rebel alliance from Star wars.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It is funny that Unicorn episode 4 portrays the remnants as the most competent and effective as any piece of animation ever has, and their effectiveness boils down to 10 minutes of massacring unprepared garrison troops in GMs from ambush until a competent pilot shows up to beat the poo poo out of them and their mobile armor support wanders off to kill a bunch of civilians.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Honestly those gm pilots should have slaughtered them. The gm ii and Nemo easily mog the grandpa Gundam in performance and what kind of sick gently caress wouldn't spend all their time training to pilot a giant robot it's not like there's anything better to do in Australia anyways

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a feeling after they got embarassed in 0083 that Torrington Base just became the place where they dumped washout pilots and the occasional war criminal ex-titan pilot who wants to lay low.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Were Kou and his buddy exactly the cream of the crop? I think the place was always a backwater.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Were Kou and his buddy exactly the cream of the crop? I think the place was always a backwater.

They were still a test base working on nextgen GM prototypes at the time and it did have a nuclear stockpile, not exactly the kind of thing you'd want mere rookies guarding. Though depending on how far down you consider the proto-titan conspirators went you could probably rationalize everything as being a setup to allow Delaz Fleet to snatch a nuke and a Gundam.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

it did have a nuclear stockpile, not exactly the kind of thing you'd want mere rookies guarding.

You really shouldn't look up how the US Nuclear Arsenal is staffed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The less I know about US home defense the more soundly I sleep at night in ignorant bliss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's always worth remembering that the specs of a machine are always the best possible outcome, not the floor. Even if a mech has higher performance it doesn't really matter unless the pilot can take advantage of it. Especially when you're talking about no name rookies with likely no real combat experience caught off guard vs a bunch of crazy soldiers who have been prepping for years, it's pretty easy to imagine it not going great for them unless they have a genuinely great pilot around rather than the equivalent of mall cops.

Amuro could probably absolutely gently caress up stuff significantly above his paygrade in the granddaddy Gundam unless the person piloting the better mech was a really good pilot. Your Nemo can make the OG look like a baby's toy but it doesn't help much when Amuro is hitting your cockpit with a beam rifle shot two seconds into the fight. A lot of generic mook soldiers aren't ever going to be making the best use out of their robot because they don't have the training, the talent, or the psychic powers to really push it to the limit, and the nature of mass production robots means that a beam rifle is as lethal to something from CCA as the OYW, since only high-end stuff tends to have specialized protections.

Honestly a lot of OYW stuff is probably perfectly lethal as a 'we don't care if we're coming back from this' deployment. You're going to die the moment you run into serious trouble (as happened in Unicorn) but if all you want to do is hurt people and kill things a Z'gok is going to be not far behind a Jegan in murdering capability.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 4, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The thing is the federation grunts are a lot worse in unicorn than say CCA or zz. The guys defending Luna II, also a backwater at that point, did admirably all things considered. In f91 the garrison troops manage to down a cosmos Babylon Ms despite only having forty year old jegans and the war crimes guncannon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never understood people calling Mika one-note, but it's also generally rare for a non-hysteric psychopath to be displayed in media

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's boring

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay but who else has hosed inside a gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1709372769996312932?s=20

MiiGmSROTnrlai

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We cannot keep doing this SEED

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but who else has hosed inside a gundam

Setsuna.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

For fun I threw that into an anagram solver and the first thing it spat out was "immortalising"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

Setsuna.

Setsuna does not gently caress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

We cannot keep doing this SEED

Nuebot posted:

For fun I threw that into an anagram solver and the first thing it spat out was "immortalising"

It turns out we can and will keep doing this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Setsuna does not gently caress.

You're thinking of Settra and he absolutely does gently caress.

Though if we're being honest Settra would ditch the Gundam and ride around atop Giant Robo instead.