Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deadite posted:

I tried watching them all recently and I made it through 4 before I threw in the towel. Maybe 4 was just really bad but it didn’t feel fun anymore.
4 is definitely the nadir. 5 has the most gnarly kill in the franchise and 6 is absolutely hilarious because it's a 'message movie' about privatized insurance. 7 is goofy as all hell if you can see it in 3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

A prequel and a sequel

And also a Street Fighter film for Legendary (the Kong/Godzillaverse producers) https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/street-fighter-danny-michael-philippou-video-game-film-1235403178/
I'm just excited to gets more possibly good screenlife

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Harriet Carker posted:

Is it worth watching all the Saw movies? I saw the first two back in the day and haven’t seen any others but it looks like most of them are on Amazon. I recently watched through the entire Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchise so I’m no stranger to mixed bag sequels.

God no. Throw on a kill comp on youtube or something. Dead Meat has probably covered them all by now.

Note: I feel the same way about most Final Destination movies and I know this is a controversial opinion round here. They’re both franchises with the bare minimum of filler to get to the next fx setpiece. Saw at least has completely batshit anime levels of lore.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
"Are you a Saw person or a Final Destination person" should be on one of those terrible corporate personality questions.

If you're both, you're havin' a talk with HR.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm both and HR would absolutely be correct in firing me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hopefully by now everyone that is participating in the October thread has realized that it moved over to the new Haunted Clubhouse forum.

As you all know this is my first time running the thread and I'm pretty impressed by how many people are posting! I made up little labels with the challenges listed so that I could track each poster as they complete challenges. I thought 60 labels would be plenty but I ended up having to go back and print 10 more because we're up to like 70ish different people posting in there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Basebf555 posted:

Hopefully by now everyone that is participating in the October thread has realized that it moved over to the new Haunted Clubhouse forum.

As you all know this is my first time running the thread and I'm pretty impressed by how many people are posting! I made up little labels with the challenges listed so that I could track each poster as they complete challenges. I thought 60 labels would be plenty but I ended up having to go back and print 10 more because we're up to like 70ish different people posting in there.

Link for those who hate looking for stuff

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

weekly font posted:

God no. Throw on a kill comp on youtube or something. Dead Meat has probably covered them all by now.

Note: I feel the same way about most Final Destination movies and I know this is a controversial opinion round here. They’re both franchises with the bare minimum of filler to get to the next fx setpiece. Saw at least has completely batshit anime levels of lore.

I also watched through all the Final Destination movies a bit ago and more or less enjoyed them. I don't really remember anything about them but they were fine enough for a cold fall evening watch.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Harriet Carker posted:

I also watched through all the Final Destination movies a bit ago and more or less enjoyed them. I don't really remember anything about them but they were fine enough for a cold fall evening watch.

The real problem with FD movies is that its cruelty leads to no characters ever coming back for a sequel (except 1 character 1 time, which is why FD2 is the best one), so not only do we have to get introduced to and taught to care about a new group every time, but also endure the agonizing "searching on not-Google for 'unsolved deaths' that every character does to learn about Death's Design"

Bludworth probably was an attempt to solve that but he absolutely does not work for that purpose.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If it’s Saw vs Final Destination, I’m a Final Destination person all the way. The bad guy in the FD movies is literally death, so we don’t need to know their backstory of motivations.

Whereas in Saw (or at least Saw 4) the writers seem to think we all really want to know why Jigsaw is a killer and to hear more of his tortured philosophy, when all I really want are killer puzzle traps

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deadite posted:

If it’s Saw vs Final Destination, I’m a Final Destination person all the way. The bad guy in the FD movies is literally death, so we don’t need to know their backstory of motivations.

Whereas in Saw (or at least Saw 4) the writers seem to think we all really want to know why Jigsaw is a killer and to hear more of his tortured philosophy, when all I really want are killer puzzle traps

The worst FD (4) is worse than the worst SAW (4 or 7, depending who you ask), but the 2nd-worst FD (3) is better than the 2nd-best SAW (3). I haven't seen SAW X so this may no longer be true but until last Friday it was.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Final destination idea: the characters know all about the previous events but they think they found a way to cheat death. So they arrange an accident or whatever and outwit death in such a way that they are now invincible/exempt. But there is still an imbalance so now other people start dying. Protagonists realize and have to figure a way to balance the books (probably by sacrificing themselves)

Yeah I dont have all the details figured out but I think this would be a fun angle to it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Thank you, Basebf555.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There is a Christian Saw

https://youtu.be/ROHmBJPRSpM?si=bieRyRgCAVQKgSmV

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Apologies if you're doing more work than expected thanks to me moving the thread!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Isn't that just the Via Dolorosa?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Ganja & Hess and it's honestly incredible what a cool, self-assured movie it is. It's confident in a way you wouldn't have expected from a first feature, and it's a shame Bill Gunn only directed one other movie, because this one just oozes style and charisma.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shrecknet posted:

The real problem with FD movies is that its cruelty leads to no characters ever coming back for a sequel (except 1 character 1 time, which is why FD2 is the best one), so not only do we have to get introduced to and taught to care about a new group every time, but also endure the agonizing "searching on not-Google for 'unsolved deaths' that every character does to learn about Death's Design"

Bludworth probably was an attempt to solve that but he absolutely does not work for that purpose.

2 is absolutely the best by a barbed wire fence filled country mile in part cause its the only one where they even attempted to concoct a way to beat the system which creates stakes beyond the inevitable “rocks fall everyone dies” finales of later sequels.

Also no shade at anyone who digs on FD or Saws I just think they’re franchises with a lot of potential that have lazily fallen into templates. I’ve heard there are FD novels that are kind of fun and get to play with the ideas more but I’ve never seen one in the wild

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Apologies if you're doing more work than expected thanks to me moving the thread!

I don't know what the average participation is, I guess we'd have to ask Fran. 65+ people seems like a lot but I have a nice little system going so there's not much of a difference in the amount of work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Right on. Glad turn out is going well either way, one of the best times of the year imo.

If u need anything from me give me a shout.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

2 is absolutely the best by a barbed wire fence filled country mile in part cause its the only one where they even attempted to concoct a way to beat the system which creates stakes beyond the inevitable “rocks fall everyone dies” finales of later sequels.
5 (the secret second-best one) did this too with the "kill someone, gain their years of life remaining" and played with it fantastically with the ending, but yeah I'd desperately love to see a FD with a new idea or two in it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd say it's worth watching the Saw movies, but not in a row or anything

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Someday I will download all the SAW movies and chop them up to make 1 continuous supercut of all ten movies where everything happens in chronological order with no flashbacks.

It will be 100 minutes long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Yea it's sort of a different discussion when you're talking about marathoning a whole series over the course of a week or a month. Stuff like the Child's Play series and Friday the 13th come off better in that situation because they have variations in their style and tone over the years. Saw has maintained a consistent style and presentation across all the sequels and it's gonna get old if you try to watch them all in a row.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Saw 3D is worse than FD 4 because Saw 3D is extremely, extremely, misogynistic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I usually go 2 > 5 > 3 with Final Destination but they're all about equally ok to me and the only sequels of FD you need to watch

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
why did all the Roger Corman Poe movies have to leave Criterion Channel before October? ah well, at least I can say that The Haunted Palace, The Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher, and The Pit and the Pendulum are all good and deliver some great gothic atmosphere

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Hollismason posted:

Recommend me some Ozsploitation films from the 70s and 80s. Nothing with grody stuff just like some nice relaxing horror.

It's not necessarily exploitation, and it's a little outside your date range, but Bedevil from 1993 a moody trilogy of Australian supernatural stories that just drips with style. Definitely relaxing, and aussie as all hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ooh, that looks good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

why did all the Roger Corman Poe movies have to leave Criterion Channel before October? ah well, at least I can say that The Haunted Palace, The Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher, and The Pit and the Pendulum are all good and deliver some great gothic atmosphere
Pretty sure a few of them are on Tubi (of course!!!)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MrGreenShirt posted:

It's not necessarily exploitation, and it's a little outside your date range, but Bedevil from 1993 a moody trilogy of Australian supernatural stories that just drips with style. Definitely relaxing, and aussie as all hell.

Oh hell yes, I needed a movie from 1993 for the challenge, that'll do nicely.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1708335210687864917?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now that I added The Nightmare Before Christmas to my movie collection I have the tough task of figuring out when the appropriate time is to watch it. I feel like you need some sort of middle ground between Halloween and Christmas. Like, it wouldn't feel right to watch it this week because it's not close enough to Christmas. The Halloween characters are preparing for Halloween in the opening scenes right? So maybe October 30th. I don't want to wait until Christmas because then Halloween season is completely over, which doesn't feel appropriate either.

Tough decisions....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Now that I added The Nightmare Before Christmas to my movie collection I have the tough task of figuring out when the appropriate time is to watch it. I feel like you need some sort of middle ground between Halloween and Christmas. Like, it wouldn't feel right to watch it this week because it's not close enough to Christmas. The Halloween characters are preparing for Halloween in the opening scenes right? So maybe October 30th. I don't want to wait until Christmas because then Halloween season is completely over, which doesn't feel appropriate either.

Tough decisions....

watch it once for halloween and once for christmas noob

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The movie is Halloweentown wrapping up Halloween and Jack feeling dissatisfied. So to me the answer has always been clear. It’s a movie you watch in November when you’re taking decorations down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

The movie is Halloweentown wrapping up Halloween and Jack feeling dissatisfied. So to me the answer has always been clear. It’s a movie you watch in November when you’re taking decorations down.

Ah ok, see that's where I had it wrong, I haven't seen the movie in a while and I misremembered that they were preparing for Halloween, not wrapping up Halloween. So yea I think that makes it a much simpler call, I'll watch it sometime after Halloween but in the leadup to Christmas. But close enough to Halloween that the spooky season is still fresh in my mind.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I definitely think of Nightmare as a Christmas movie, just a spooky one.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Saw talk

I thought the reveal that surgery was fraud by seeing that video and then taking off bandage was brilliant. The trailers made it look like he went to doctor and they said cancer was never removed.

Also having a saw movie where Jigsaw is the protagonist was another brilliant move for this film because there have been more saw movies where person going through traps I was rooting for to survive but this film was first where I was on Jigsaws side as weird as that sounds

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I thought the reveal that surgery was fraud by seeing that video and then taking off bandage was brilliant. The trailers made it look like he went to doctor and they said cancer was never removed.

That whole sequence is fantastic, and I'm so glad they got Tobin Bell back just because he's a genuinely great actor for stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Ah ok, see that's where I had it wrong, I haven't seen the movie in a while and I misremembered that they were preparing for Halloween, not wrapping up Halloween. So yea I think that makes it a much simpler call, I'll watch it sometime after Halloween but in the leadup to Christmas. But close enough to Halloween that the spooky season is still fresh in my mind.

Yeah they're celebrating Halloween when the movie starts but then the whole story is that the town wraps everything up for a year but Jack convinces them to do Christmas too. So to me its always been neither a Halloween nor Christmas movie. Its been the movie that naturally fits between me putting the Halloween stuff away and brainstorming Christmas ideas while eating stale candy.

I mean Jack hangs on my Christmas tree so its at least half a Christmas movie. But its a transition movie to me.