Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know its stupid because its horror movies but along these lines.

At some point the sprawling conspiracy of the Saw people would be figured out and snuffed out of existence. Again, its horror, I get that we have to suspend belief that a dream demon, a revenant in a lake, an ironman psychopath that can take no damage, exist but in universe they all KINDA make sense. Final Destination death says gently caress you, I am the boss and just gets ridculous but with Saw, the further it goes on the more people in it, it would be discovered.

That was the post 9/11/Iraq War zeitgeist, feeling powerless against terrorist cells and their meticulous plans already set in motion against you. The fear that authorities can't protect you.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m some amount of the way into Satanic Panic, and so far this movie seems pretty bad?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh yeah this sucks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CelticPredator posted:

Tobin Bell is loving awesome and yeah you’re right he’s the only thing keeping the character interesting.

He’s incredible in Saw X. I hope they just keep making him the main character until he calls it quits

Ditto for Shawnee Smith, I'm so glad they got her back because she's so good and Amanda is such a good character that kinda goes underappreciated even by the marketing of the franchise. Lots of Kramer, lots of Billy, not a whole lot of the Pig.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
shes in dead by daylight as another throwaway guest character

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Deadite posted:

I’m doing horror movie trivia tonight and I need a team name that will prove I’m no dilettante

I’m thinking “Tom Atkins’ Whiskey Shakes” but I’m flexible, anyone have a good name I can use?

Your boyfriends now, Nancy.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Jigsaw is a weird movie because what it tried to do in terms of being more cleanly shot and having a large group of characters escaping more agility-oriented saw puzzles was done much better in 2019's Escape Room

Which then had a mediocre sequel with a completely different frame narrative and ending depending on whether you saw the theatrical cut or the extended version

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Meg 2: man this movie was not at all my jam, and I thought the first one was at least ok. Are we sure Ben Wheatley directed it?

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 3, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadite posted:

I’m doing horror movie trivia tonight and I need a team name that will prove I’m no dilettante

I’m thinking “Tom Atkins’ Whiskey Shakes” but I’m flexible, anyone have a good name I can use?

The Duckling Torturers. Let's Question Jessica to Death

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Deadite posted:

“Those drat Enchiladas”.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Deadite posted:

"Randy From Scream (the Team)"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Those drat Enchiladas”.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Those drat Enchiladas”.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah thats the winner

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Those drat Enchiladas”.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think there is going to be a horror themed trivia this month at the local tea bar so I plan on attending that and totally crushing it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I think there is going to be a horror themed trivia this month at the local tea bar so I plan on attending that and totally crushing it.

I watched some random youtube horror quiz recently and I got like 24 out of 25 right and it was boring because the questions weren't on this thread's level.

If anything you probably need to get ready to strategically get a few wrong so that people don't start giving you weird looks.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deadite posted:

"SON OF A HUNDRED MANIACS"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I watched some random youtube horror quiz recently and I got like 24 out of 25 right and it was boring because the questions weren't on this thread's level.

If anything you probably need to get ready to strategically get a few wrong so that people don't start giving you weird looks.

There's two levels of horror quizzes:

1. The normal person quiz, with questions like, 'What is the name of the camp that Jason stalks in Friday the 13th?'

2. The one run by horror people, with questions like, 'Name four of the rowdy teenagers from Return of the Living Dead'.

It's usually the first one, but sometimes it's an absolute treat when you stumble into the second one.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

*edit if youre willing to bend your rules a bit, Superdeep could count. Theyre deep underground instead of underwater, but the environment is almost nearly as hostile. Excellent monster as well

I watched The Superdeep. It was pretty good! A cold war era soviet scientist goes to an underground facility and discovers bad stuff is going on. Good atmosphere, lots of body horror, and some of the makeup was downright repulsive. At two hours it was maybe a little bit too long but that's a minor complaint. It is a good watch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Got bodied in trivia tonight, by which I mean I got second place. Some deep cuts here.

I won a book

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Deadite posted:

Got bodied in trivia tonight, by which I mean I got second place. Some deep cuts here.

I won a book

I think you missed Alice Sweet Alice ( I think that's it) and Eyes without a Face on the picture round. Otherwise good job!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mistaking alice sweet alice wrong for terror train? :cmon:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

watch alice sweet alice if you havent already its... pretty good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phy posted:

The Meg 2: man this movie was not at all my jam, and I thought the first one was at least ok. Are we sure Ben Wheatley directed it?

It was directed by China

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

watch alice sweet alice if you havent already its... pretty good

I haven’t seen it so I took a stab in the dark. The team that beat us had a perfect score which I think is suspicious. I’ve never even heard of Enys Men

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Deadite posted:

I haven’t seen it so I took a stab in the dark. The team that beat us had a perfect score which I think is suspicious. I’ve never even heard of Enys Men

You basically have to wear a mark of shame for the next year until you return triumphant next year.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Last thread/last year some kind person ITT did a great poll on the thread’s favorites horror films of all time.

I’m on mobile and can’t search to link it, but I saved it as a note on my phone. And here it is. Thought it was pertinent now.

SA horror favorites
——————————
1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
= Night of the Living Dead
8. Halloween
9. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'll never get over the fact that the Saw Man's name is Tobin Bell, but the character is named like Bill Kramer or something stupid like that.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I’m some amount of the way into Satanic Panic, and so far this movie seems pretty bad?

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah this sucks.

I want to know what happened in the four minutes between these posts.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Deadite posted:

I’ve never even heard of Enys Men.

That's a REALLY new release. And a pretty niche film, what on earth question was it that the answer was Enys Men?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

That's a REALLY new release. And a pretty niche film, what on earth question was it that the answer was Enys Men?

It was like “Which 2022 experimental horror film set in Cornwall is so deliberately slow that the lead character starts growing lichens?”

I also picked the wrong classic monster in You Won’t Be Alone, another movie I’m not familiar with

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O that is literally just a description of Enys Men. If you’d heard of it you’d have gotten that. It was seeing how good you were at keeping up with current indie stuff.

Edit to not double-post : watching F13 V now* and the quality decline is a near vertical plunge. Holy loving poo poo. 4 wasn’t as good as 3, but still solid. 5 is loving dire.

*yes that reference was before I even got around to rewatching it :smug:

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 3, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to do a lot of trivia, the ones who win are either a carefully picked crew or they’re fuckin cheaters

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Last thread/last year some kind person ITT did a great poll on the thread’s favorites horror films of all time.

I’m on mobile and can’t search to link it, but I saved it as a note on my phone. And here it is. Thought it was pertinent now.

SA horror favorites
——————————
1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
= Night of the Living Dead
8. Halloween
9. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

The lack of dates for some of these is kinda annoying. For example, it's the Fly remake, not the original. I remember asking about that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Deadite posted:

I won a book

drat, that book is a blast from the past. Bought it from a comic shop in the 90s.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just watched Ghostwatch and it fuckin ruled, like I had heard it was good but I didn’t expect it to be so well done and legit creepy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If you can find a way to watch My Little Eye you should watch My Little Eye. It’s early in the month but it’s going to end up my personal new favorite discovery this year. What a picture! Don’t look at the cast list though. Just watch the movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

demoni