Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm finding dan's new video way harder to follow than the rest of his recent long-form videos tbh. i dunno if i am just an idiot or the financial world is a load of horse poo poo or the entirety of meme stocks is a bunch of contradictory nonsense peddled by idiots or amy combination of the three, but i am having to rewatch sections several times to even sorta 'get it'.

I had a similar issue. I quite enjoyed the new video but my eyes kept glazing over in a way his videos have never caused before, with the possible exception of the flat earther one. There's something about conspiracy theories that shuts down my brain whenever someone tries to explain them to me in a serious tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

its starting to show up as delisted

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Much like discontinued air Jordans, this means scarcity increases and the price can only go up uP UP BABY!!!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

excellent, unleash the lambos :coal:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

towel apes reeeeall quiet this morning.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Trillhouse posted:

Delisted for being canceled, not deleted, which is all part of the plan :smug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The new Dan Olson video about this should probably be added to the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

Oh nvm it was discussed in more recent pages, it’s really good and funy how coincidental this thread came up right before it

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK new plan: buy stock that actually exists

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, you think it's deleted? Explain this then

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BBBYQ/

Not 404, so clearly alive and thriving.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

OK new plan: buy stock that actually exists

Whoa whoa whoa, you're starting to sound like one of the Wall Street fat cats these guys are bravely fighting against.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A lot of people really shat the bed, the bath, and beyond when they bought that stock.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

A lot of people really shat the bed, the bath, and beyond when they bought that stock.

Meme Stock Madness: making GBS threads the Beyond

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i tell ya folks the last time i saw a short squeeze like this i was trying to yank on my lil pud

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Looks like the apes are convincing themselves they will be getting $25 per share, somehow, even after the stock cancellation.

Surely customer support can help!

But they did not cinform.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Looks like the apes are convincing themselves they will be getting $25 per share, somehow, even after the stock cancellation.

Oh now that's interesting, do you have any clues about where this idea originated?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cruft posted:

Oh now that's interesting, do you have any clues about where this idea originated?

a circle-jerk of reddit accounte who all claim they got that information from calling Schwab and who coincidentally all have usernames of the format Adjective-Noun1234

someone's ready to dump their bags

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 3, 2023

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm finding dan's new video way harder to follow than the rest of his recent long-form videos tbh. i dunno if i am just an idiot or the financial world is a load of horse poo poo or the entirety of meme stocks is a bunch of contradictory nonsense peddled by idiots or amy combination of the three, but i am having to rewatch sections several times to even sorta 'get it'.

Thorgot posted:

I had a similar issue. I quite enjoyed the new video but my eyes kept glazing over in a way his videos have never caused before, with the possible exception of the flat earther one. There's something about conspiracy theories that shuts down my brain whenever someone tries to explain them to me in a serious tone.

I noticed at least once he stopped and launched into a completely bonkers ape explanation for ignoring reality using a buncha terms he hadn't yet defined, and then paused before saying something to the effect of "yeah, it's just that bonkers," and I think that made the entire thing tougher to understand.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

can you cinform? I need this cinformation as soon as possible

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Thorgot posted:

My ADHD rear end had to stop and go back so many times because it's so information-dense even getting distracted for a few minutes means you miss something important. It really requires your full attention. But it's worth it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

a circle-jerk of reddit accounte who all claim they got that information from calling Schwab and who coincidentally all have usernames of the format Adjective-Noun1234

someone's ready to dump their bags

It's probably a troll because the stock doesn't exist anymore, so you can't dump bags. The bags ceased to exist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some completely unrelated company should take over the BBBQY ticker symbol to further break apes' brains. If that's even possible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ranbo das posted:

It's probably a troll because the stock doesn't exist anymore, so you can't dump bags. The bags ceased to exist.

I bet there are suckers who would pay real money for dead stock IOUs. Don't forget that a lot of them have actual paper certificates on hand.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

a lot of y'all still don't get it... you can use multiple squeezes on each short

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Meme Stock Madness: you can use multiple squeezes on each short

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Paladinus posted:

I bet there are suckers who would pay real money for dead stock IOUs. Don't forget that a lot of them have actual paper certificates on hand.

Wtf, how do you even get those?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

yoloer420 posted:

Wtf, how do you even get those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6aZYKspKA

cruft posted:

no idea!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The thing I never got about this is that when is enough profit enough? Some of these idiots who didn't buy at inflated prices before actually could have made good money selling worthless stock like AMC/BBY when they spiked and taken solid profits, but they kept holding onto it and lost it all. What is the 'accepted' sell price for them to actually make money instead of losing it?

Also, that BBY (and other) subreddit is just confusing, I don't understand it all and these people are all insane. Even when it's clear they're doomed they just write more conspiracy theory nonsense and double down, although I'd imagine anyone rational who got out left the sub a long time ago. I really wonder when it'll finally hit them that it's finally over. Maybe a week from now, a month, a year?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Original_Z posted:

The thing I never got about this is that when is enough profit enough? Some of these idiots who didn't buy at inflated prices before actually could have made good money selling worthless stock like AMC/BBY when they spiked and taken solid profits, but they kept holding onto it and lost it all. What is the 'accepted' sell price for them to actually make money instead of losing it?

They think that as long as they all bravely band together and don't sell they'll be able to dictate the price, in excess of billions per share seems to be their starting point. Enough that the us government will have to print more money to fulfill all the sales, and thus completely destroy the economy, leaving the apes the victors and new lords of the world, somehow.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Another thing to remember, one sunk cost fallacy can be a powerful thing, and two they really love "The Big Short" and think they're in the same position as when the investors have invested all the money into the housing sector to crash, and it's just not as the finance/banking sector is just sort of refusing to recognize reality.

Now the difference between the two situations is pretty loving clear to us, but to them, it's not. They found something bad about the financial sector "invested against it" to exploit it, and any day now the finance people will have to accept reality and all those millions of secrete naked shorts will be found which will make them rich!

Or that rich billion investor will just buy all their worthless shares for hundreds of millions each. either or.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They really don't get that the system exists to serve the wealthy and not the other way around. What happens when you buy into the ad copy of capitalism unquestioningly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Original_Z posted:

I think the issue there is that anyone rational would have looked at the prospects of BBBY/AMC long term and never invest in the first place or would already have divested before it became a meme stock. Leaving only those prone to delusion left.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Original_Z posted:

Also, that BBY (and other) subreddit is just confusing, I don't understand it all and these people are all insane. Even when it's clear they're doomed they just write more conspiracy theory nonsense and double down, although I'd imagine anyone rational who got out left the sub a long time ago. I really wonder when it'll finally hit them that it's finally over. Maybe a week from now, a month, a year?

The Dan Olson video cites a few of them saying that $10,000,000 per share would be the minimum acceptable selling price.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember that as a rule people don't really flame out or post confessionals when they realise they've been had by these kind of things, and even those who do tend to get their posts deleted immediately. They usually quietly drift away and try to forget the whole thing.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
drat ..I have been really out of the loop. I remember hearing about gamespot back in 21 and not giving it much thought.
To find out that's it turned into a other Reddit hivemind Qanon level conspiracy is blowing my mind and is just so hilarious.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
r/BBBY feeling very bullish this morning

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When is the next ppshow?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember that as a rule people don't really flame out or post confessionals when they realise they've been had by these kind of things, and even those who do tend to get their posts deleted immediately. They usually quietly drift away and try to forget the whole thing.

Yes, and it makes me sad to think of how many marriages are going to end soon because of this.

Actually, no, those marriages need to end. But the kid's college fund... ugh.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
*standing on the sidewalk near the NYSE, shouting to passersby* Guess what Richie Rich? I bought a bunch of lovely stocks, and I am not selling them! Are you scared yet?

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
That video made this all out as like a financial death cult. They’re all throwing as much money as possible at worthless stocks and making it as hard as possible to sell them for clout in their increasingly unhinged community. The Reddit voting system guaranteeing an echo chamber that enables this insanity is exactly why I came back to the dead gay old person forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Original_Z posted:

it will never hit them that it is over, that's not how conspiracy theories work and that is entirely what the bbby poo poo is now to anyone still holding on to it