Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

disposablewords posted:

I'm just constantly getting my poo poo rocked in SaGa: Scarlet Grace, and I don't know if that's just how it be in the early game or if I am unutterably incompetent. Early in Urpina's story yet, but it'll be like a "Normal" difficulty fight that'll turn out to be three boars who can each two-shot any of my retinue if they feel like it while taking a lot of focused stabbing to whittle down. Hell, is there even any way to predict which of your team is getting targeted so that Protect moves feel more useful instead of hoping they're not a wasted turn? I'm not seeing anything on that in the UI or the Tips section.

The boars are gonna ruin your day until your fencer glimmers an Interrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Scarlet Grace wants every encounter to possibly kill you. It can be exhausting after awhile.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Well, it's a little reassuring to know it's not just me, at least.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think most of the times enemies will generally smartly attack you by frequently targeting your party members that are casting or weak health wise?

I might be talking out my rear end since I haven't necessarily gone on a mechanics deep dive, but this is generally how it felt for me. I think some roles have some effect on targeting but :kawazu: :shrug:

Losses on boars are basically inevitable unless you get a good chain of multiple Unites

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, enemies are usually relatively smart and will try to target people they can take out, or people going after them they can stun/sleep/etc. Shielding allies is good for making sure late-acting allies don’t get stunned before they can move, or that the one party member in the middle of a group doesn’t get focused and killed for an enemy unite attack. They’re also amazing against aoes since the the shielded ally takes no damage but the one doing the shielding doesn’t take any extra, so you take a lot leas damage overall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Formations can affect who gets targeted, I think they usually say as much. But yeah, you can mitigate damage a fair amount by having techs that inflict ailments, proccing glimmers on those is semi-luck based but rapiers get a fair few of them, and I think bows have a paralysis skill early on.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As someone who is also starting a playthrough of Scarlet Graces, I'd really recommend getting a shortsword user if you haven't already. I haven't seen all their techs yet but they come with a load of disruption, including Matador (interrupts a blunt action, sending them to the bottom of the action queue and dealing a truckload of damage), Mesmerize (puts a target to sleep, with a surprisingly high success rate) and apid venom (a drat near guaranteed poison move). I basically started doing a lot better once I was able to appropriately disrupt dangerous attacks.

Also related, a bow user to consistently quell ??? actions is really, really handy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDDZyq_7AzM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The video description is incredible

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thats me but i am spefically talking about SaGa and also I am a v sexy woman

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The video description is incredible

Mazes and Monsters 2 BAAAYBEEE

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So many ppl playing scarlet grace rn :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How is the Tales of Arise DLC story

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

ask again in november when it's out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

well its not out for a month so let me use my magic crystal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

could have been gayer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

could have been gayer

i hope rinwell finds a nice girl

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wasn't the story trying to pair her up with the other dude?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if people i trust end up saying the arise dlc is good then i might actually play arise

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clarste posted:

They have a whole set of skits with just them about it in the lead up to the final boss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

ask again in november when it's out

Hrm, should pay more attention, for some reason I thought it was out today.

Thanks for humoring my idiocy

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is the disgaea 2 pc port still rear end

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Clarste posted:

They had a good ampunt of that going on through the game.

And then there were three cutscenes in a row near the final dungeon, each one focused on a different duo of party members talking about their attraction to each other. It almost felt like some kind of parody by the time the third one started up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Insanely hosed we never got the convo where Eleanor and Velvet copped to their mutual sexual tension in the final dungeon of Graces.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nihilarian posted:

Is the disgaea 2 pc port still rear end

it's fine. i had no technical issues with it

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The main thing I dislike about Disgaea 2 PC is they retained the jumbo sized UI from the PSP version which makes inventory and unit management a chore. I never noticed any actual issues with playing the game though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Insanely hosed we never got the convo where Eleanor and Velvet copped to their mutual sexual tension in the final dungeon of Graces.

that would be a very weird thing to happen in tales of graces which released 7 years before tales of berseria

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

fridge corn posted:

So many ppl playing scarlet grace rn :)

:yeah:

I found that kinda funny too, I decided to pick up Scarlet Grace a few days ago and noticed that like, 3 other posters independently did the same thing. Must be something in the water. Or maybe we're just excited for Emerald Beyond?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

could have been gayer

evergreen :hmmyes:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arzaac posted:

I found that kinda funny too, I decided to pick up Scarlet Grace a few days ago and noticed that like, 3 other posters independently did the same thing. Must be something in the water. Or maybe we're just excited for Emerald Beyond?

My assumption is that it's a combo of all the SaGa games being on a deep discount last week + Emerald Beyond hype with the combat looking real similar to Scarlet Grace

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I picked it up again because Emerald Beyond looks sick and I wanted to give it another try

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

that would be a very weird thing to happen in tales of graces which released 7 years before tales of berseria

Probably yeah. I’m not gonna fix my typo though because they should probably make a Graces remaster and make them postgame bosses in there then. :colbert:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
wasn't tales of arise not even intended to be a tales game

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So people say.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arzaac posted:

Yeah, i already had a copy of scarlet grace but wasn't really planning on playing it anytime soon but then emerald beyond trailer dropped and I was like oh poo poo and slammed scarlet grace to the front of the queue

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I've been sitting on Scarlet Grace for a while as something I should play, had someone else online regularly talking it up. It's pretty much just good timing that I finished up something else right when the Emerald Beyond hype was reminding me to play SG finally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

So people say.
people such as the developers of the game

quote:

最初はこのタイトルを「テイルズ オブ」ではなく「アライズ」と呼んでいたんです。「発生する」、「生じる」という意味の「アライズ」。最終的には「テイルズ オブ」として整理がなされていくんですけど、ごく初期のときはそれくらい「このチームで新規IPを作る」という気持ちで検討を進めていました。

quote:

'Originally, the game was just called 'Arise,' not 'Tales of Arise.' Eventually, the title was restructured into Tales of Arise, but at the start we were approaching development with the idea of making a new IP.

quote:

開発的には不安でしたけどね(笑)。特に最初は本当にどうなるかわからなかったので。先ほど述べたとおり、「テイルズ オブ」チームが作る新しいRPGと考えていましたので、「テイルズを変えなきゃいけない」というのが逆に命題でし。

quote:

From a development standpoint, I was worried. I didn't really know how it'd turn out at first. Like I said, we were thinking of it as a 'a new RPG created by the tales team.' I was always thinking about how to create something different from 'Tales of.'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i was kinda in the same boat of hearing that it was originally a different thing but not ever seeing a follow up with the receipts, so legitimately thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
makes sense. where's the obligatory child and old man