Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
they have all the votes they need to ensure that nobody could jump in to threaten capital's dominance over labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I read online the talks today are at SAG’s office.

Could it be any more obvious that the studios are coming back tail between their legs?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fart blood posted:

My understanding is the bill Newsom vetoed wouldn’t even apply to the current strikes so it doesn’t give SAG leverage anyway.

This is democrats we are talking about so it wouldn’t shock me if they passed this bill knowing Newsom was going to veto it.

How would the bill not apply to the current strike?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FlamingLiberal posted:

What I don’t know is whether or not the Dems in the CA Legislature have the votes for an override

They do but they won't. The CA legislature is notorious for not having overridden a veto in like 40 years.

Edit: From a 2022 CA Senate report:

"While the Legislature can override a governor’s veto by a two-thirds vote in both houses, this action is rare
and has not occurred since 1980. During the 1979–80 session, the Legislature overrode the governor’s veto
of two bills and eight items in the budget bill. Before that, the governor’s veto had been overridden on only
two occasions since 1973."

This isn't even the most popular bill he's vetoed although it's one of the more nationally visible ones.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Willo567 posted:

How would the bill not apply to the current strike?

I have no idea. I’m going by random comments I saw online.

The only reason I believe it is because that sounds like something democrats would do; passing something that can’t be done just yet is the democrats MO.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh my god Republicans are still going to call him a commie and not vote for him :cripes::cripes:

republicans like communists now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP are negotiating again on Wednesday.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Article says the deal could take weeks to settle.

That sounds like studios leaking bullshit to me.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

fart blood posted:

Article says the deal could take weeks to settle.

That sounds like studios leaking bullshit to me.

If it’s “an article” it almost definitely studio-sanctioned/PMC-endorsed propaganda. That said, I hope it’s true—we haven’t been on the picket lines for five loving months for our NegComm to play softball, particularly with our faces/voices/bodies/“general likeness”es

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

blinkeve1826 posted:

If it’s “an article” it almost definitely studio-sanctioned/PMC-endorsed propaganda. That said, I hope it’s true—we haven’t been on the picket lines for five loving months for our NegComm to play softball, particularly with our faces/voices/bodies/“general likeness”es

Oh I’m sure. The trades are the studio voices.

I’m just saying it sounds like bullshit because the studios very obviously know what they have to do and the actors very obviously know what they want or are willing to concede on, so I can’t imagine lawyers haven’t already been working to iron all this out with them on both sides of the table.

The “it could take weeks” thing just sounds like it’s trying to kill morale instead of getting any details right.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It's interesting, over the past two days there have been a few celebrities posting about their likeness being used in AI-generated online ads. One was Tom Hanks, the other Mr. Beast (the Youtube guy). Having these kinds of incidents happen during SAG negotiations has to strengthen their position, but I just worry the toothpaste is already out of the tube on this issue.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

It's interesting, over the past two days there have been a few celebrities posting about their likeness being used in AI-generated online ads. One was Tom Hanks, the other Mr. Beast (the Youtube guy). Having these kinds of incidents happen during SAG negotiations has to strengthen their position, but I just worry the toothpaste is already out of the tube on this issue.

The toothpaste is absolutely out of the tube and it’s always like that with technology. You can’t put this genie back in the bottle.

The only recourse anyone has is laws that will ensure AI isn’t used maliciously without consequences but good look getting old people in government to understand any of this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Do sports promos and commercials not count regarding the actors strike? I was at the Prudential Center yesterday, and they had Patrick Warburton filming a promo or something on the ice. Made me do a doubletake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Do sports promos and commercials not count regarding the actors strike? I was at the Prudential Center yesterday, and they had Patrick Warburton filming a promo or something on the ice. Made me do a doubletake.

I don't know about sports promos but commercials where you already had a contract were not covered by the strike.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

They're striking against AMPTP members. They're not supposed to do work that's for AMPTP companies, or work that would be covered by the TV/movie contract. But filming a promo for the NHL or something, that's not an AMPTP company and it's not covered by the contract. The SAG-AFTRA commercials contract is still in effect.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinterest Mom posted:

They're striking against AMPTP members. They're not supposed to do work that's for AMPTP companies, or work that would be covered by the TV/movie contract. But filming a promo for the NHL or something, that's not an AMPTP company and it's not covered by the contract. The SAG-AFTRA commercials contract is still in effect.

See also the IATSE strike and sports coverage which continued uninterrupted

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

AlternateNu posted:

Promos and commercials fall under entirely separate contracts--the SAG-AFTRA contract currently struck is the main TV/Theatrical Agreement (and all of the agreements that fall under it--Low Budget/Modified Low Budget/Ultra Low Budget/etc).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fart blood posted:

The toothpaste is absolutely out of the tube and it’s always like that with technology. You can’t put this genie back in the bottle.

The only recourse anyone has is laws that will ensure AI isn’t used maliciously without consequences but good look getting old people in government to understand any of this.
Feels like making deep fakes of said politicians with the proverbial dead girl or live boy would change this in a fuckin' hurry.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LividLiquid posted:

Feels like making deep fakes of said politicians with the proverbial dead girl or live boy would change this in a fuckin' hurry.

I mean, there is a deepfake AI Trump vs Biden "debate" that has been running non-stop on Twitch for multiple months now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The technology absolutely exists. We just need the right bill, the right targets, and the right video content.

Show them why it's bad for them, personally. They don't care about anybody else.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

You’d think that but our elected officials are obscenely stupid as I’m sure you already know.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, there is a deepfake AI Trump vs Biden "debate" that has been running non-stop on Twitch for multiple months now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgREV-fPXE0

Correct

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1709675651718852757?s=20

Article says the show's 3 WGA writers, Chelsea White, Cristina Kinon and Liz Koe, turned down an offer to return.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 4, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fart blood posted:

You’d think that but our elected officials are obscenely stupid as I’m sure you already know.
I'm counting on them being more selfish than they are stupid.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Eerily quiet about today’s talks.

(I know there’s a media blackout but that never stopped leaks before)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1709747631487062161

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Can we please just end it already? I'm tired of seeing my non-writer, non-actor film industry friends struggle.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

You'd assume AMPTP would try and get this over now, would be incredibly stupid to try hardball SAG-AFTRA. But who knows, dragging it out this long wasn't very smart either.

Guess they could try a "Sorry Writers took all our money :(" to generate some ill will between the two groups for next time round.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 5, 2023

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JoylessJester posted:

Guess they could try a "Sorry Writers took all our money :(" to generate some ill will between the two groups for next time round.

Or a "The writers were so nice but the actors are all refusing to budge" There's a ton of ways to try and drive a wedge between the talent during a strike

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it's less that and more very very particular issues around use of AI for actor likenesses, and very particular residual issues, that are harder to sort out than anything else. Which shows how wrong I was since I figured it'd be a fast follower after the studios caved for the writers.

I'm just frustrated that they aren't meeting every day instead of every other day. I don't feel a real sense of urgency when it's every other day.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The Writers strike was about compensation. AI was not a particularly big issue, despite both the trades and mainstream media talking about it so much because it's en vogue.

For SAG though AI and control of likeness is a live issue right now. It's just far more complicated to navigate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I presume the AMPTP are playing dumb like "b-b-but we already have rules about likeness rights for publicity stills and such, what's the big deal?"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The WGA's members ratified the new contract with the AMPTP with 99% support, officially ending their strike.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Good job, guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well done to the WGA, and I hope SAG-AFTRA also gets the best deal possible, and soon.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

The WGA's members ratified the new contract with the AMPTP with 99% support, officially ending their strike.

8,435 “yes” votes and 90 “no” votes.

Did Taylor Sheridan somehow vote 90 times?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know what? This is as good a time as any for me to divulge some bits about me. As a few of you may know, I am a struggling actor living in Texas (I refer to it as my day job because the job I have that puts food on my table is primarily done at night). I routinely get audition notifications from the usual sources, but 9/10 times the audition time has passed by the time it reaches my email. This didn't use to happen before the COVID-19 pandemic, mainly because of the "self-tape". The self-explanatory self-tape was understandable for a time, but like a lot of things that we had to do during the darkest days of the pandemic, the whole thing sucked. And it still sucks! I much prefer auditioning live, so that I can get a feeling for the directors and whatnot. The ability to react is pretty much the key to any actor's performance, and self-tapes don't give a chance to react.

There's also geographic discrimination, which is also important for me as a Texan actor, but self-tapes are a bigger bugbear for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That can't be a good way to find people for roles either. Making a self tape also seems like it 2ould automatically start involving a whole lot of non-acting skills too.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looks like the SAG-AFTRA talks aren’t going as well as anticipated. They just sent this email to members:

quote:

Dear (Members),

It is with profound disappointment that we report the industry CEOs have walked away from the bargaining table after refusing to counter our latest offer. We have negotiated with them in good faith, despite the fact that last week they presented an offer that was, shockingly, worth less than they proposed before the strike began.

These companies refuse to protect performers from being replaced by AI, they refuse to increase your wages to keep up with inflation, and they refuse to share a tiny portion of the immense revenue YOUR work generates for them. We have made big, meaningful counters on our end, including completely transforming our revenue share proposal, which would cost the companies less than 57¢ per subscriber each year. They have rejected our proposals and refused to counter.

Instead they use bully tactics. Just tonight, they intentionally misrepresented to the press the cost of the above proposal – overstating it by 60%. They have done the same with A.I., claiming to protect performer consent, but continuing to demand “consent” on the first day of employment for use of a performer’s digital replica for an entire cinematic universe (or any franchise project).

The companies are using the same failed strategy they tried to inflict on the WGA – putting out misleading information in an attempt to fool our members into abandoning our solidarity and putting pressure on our negotiators. But, just like the writers, our members are smarter than that and will not be fooled.

We feel the pain these companies have inflicted on our members, our strike captains, IATSE, Teamsters and Basic Crafts union members, and everyone in this industry. We have sacrificed too much to capitulate to their stonewalling and greed. We stand united and ready to negotiate today, tomorrow, and every day.

Our resolve is unwavering. Join us on picket lines and at solidarity events around the country and let your voices be heard. The negotiating committee will be at Netflix tomorrow at 10 a.m.

One day longer. One day stronger. As long as it takes.

Your TV/Theatrical Negotiating Committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

drat, how long is it going to take for the AMPTP to get their heads out of their asses and actually offer a fair deal? Did the bill Newsom vetoed play a part in the talks breaking down again?