Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

OldAlias posted:

I’d consider living there if it had better government services

A fair description of most of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

a primate posted:

so is Winnipeg just like a bad place? I was there for a couple of days and it was a lot sketchier than I thought. I was reminded by multiple people that “this isn’t Toronto” and to make sure I don’t leave anything in my car (as if Toronto is known for being the safest place in Canada)

it’s a really beautiful city - the area around the parliament reminded me of like a cross between Moscow and Quebec City. Huge roadways leading to historic buildings. Museums. I went to the Forks, but… Where are all the cool areas you guys always talk about? I feel like I needed a local guide or something

I’m going back in search of pierogies

its nothing crazy, most people will leave you alone in the day

for food depends what you want - list me some food you like and ill tell you of a place that will be pretty good

the forks is fine but basic, nothing special. exchange is cool but cluttered and parking is poo poo on good days.

lots of good local brewers now too and some with their own kitchens: one great city by polo park. kilter in st.boniface - great hot dogs. nonsuch by the concert hall - good food but a bit $$$ - their hamburger tho is worth ever cent of it's like $14 value lol there is also the beer can but they close for the winter as they are outside only - i haven't been but want to soon

i dunno, ask and ill tell you. winnipeg is cool.

Vintersorg has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Oct 3, 2023

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Winnipeg is suffering from 7 years of PC government and even longer of poo poo mayors

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

she's mayor of mississauga, take that as you will

the city that re-elected a corrupt old white lady for 30 straight years

i live in mississauga and I just assumed we didn't have a mayor and were operating on mad max rules

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

Winnipeg is suffering from 7 years of PC government and even longer of poo poo mayors

Winnipeg is a shithole on a continent full of shitholes, but at least we haven't privatized away all of our public services yet so we still have cheap auto insurance and electricity (for now). Plus we're lucky weather-wise, usually the worst we have to deal with are droughts or blizzards.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Winnipeg is a shithole on a continent full of shitholes, but at least we haven't privatized away all of our public services yet so we still have cheap auto insurance and electricity (for now). Plus we're lucky weather-wise, usually the worst we have to deal with are droughts or blizzards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrD-OYuEkyY

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

a primate posted:

so is Winnipeg just like a bad place? Huge roadways leading to historic buildings.
The Trans Canada Highway used to run right through the city, which is why Portage is 8 lanes wide. Now that most interprovincial traffic uses the perimeter highway, traversing Winnipeg in a personal motor vehicle is a dream (but public transit sucks).

By contrast driving in Ottawa drains my will to live daily, and the public alternative takes 4-5 times as long, requires three transfers (bus-bus-bus-train) to get downtown, and still costs $150/month.

a primate posted:

I was reminded by multiple people that “this isn’t Toronto” and to make sure I don’t leave anything in my car (as if Toronto is known for being the safest place in Canada)
Crime strongly depends on what part of the city you're in. I lived in the West end (St. James-Assiniboia) and the only thing that happened in 7 years was someone trying (and failing) to steal my bike. No car break-ins, no home invasions, no muggings; however, if I lived North or East of downtown I'd probably have a different experience.

Randalor posted:

Plus we're lucky weather-wise, usually the worst we have to deal with are droughts or blizzards.
"At least it's a dry cold." - every maritimer on the prairies, every winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I was briefly in Winnipeg for like 10 hours last week. The roads are just lovely. Utter garbage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

apatheticman posted:

I was briefly in Winnipeg for like 10 hours last week. The roads are just lovely. Utter garbage.

Yeah, i've had to get my loving wheel bearings replaced a few times due to these poo poo roads.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

apatheticman posted:

That's because Winnipeg has so many roads and bridges that they cannot possibly afford to maintain them all properly even if they were to spend the entire city budget on road maintenance, and yet they keep building more new ones.

Can't remember where I first saw that linked, maybe in the i hate cars thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cock hero flux posted:

i live in mississauga and I just assumed we didn't have a mayor and were operating on mad max rules

you are, but there's a mayor.

she's basically running to lead the ontario liberals, but she won't give up her mayorship unless she's selected party leader.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

you are, but there's a mayor.

she's basically running to lead the ontario liberals, but she won't give up her mayorship unless she's selected party leader.

"WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN?"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
if heather stefanson gets elected as premier again tonight im going to convince my wife and family to move to alberta and go full chud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Randalor posted:

"WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN?"

she's no tina turner

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

if heather stefanson gets elected as premier again tonight im going to convince my wife and family to move to alberta and go full chud

Canada is chuds all the way down.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t understand how Manitoba and Winnipeg went from the bastions of the Canadian left to Alberta lite without more pushback.

The contract for towing and impounding cars, at least in the north end, is definitely the Hells Angels, right? Since they have a clubhouse at the impound lot?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

she's no tina turner

But is she a Master (without the Blaster)?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Edmonton is a sea of orange and is pretty dang affordable given the size of the city and what it offers at least 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’d consider it were I not bound to BC

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

eXXon posted:

That's because Winnipeg has so many roads and bridges that they cannot possibly afford to maintain them all properly even if they were to spend the entire city budget on road maintenance, and yet they keep building more new ones.

Can't remember where I first saw that linked, maybe in the i hate cars thread.

The Winnipeg that could have been ...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

holy gently caress id kill for those subways :(

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

nevermind driving, try walking

my job got me a hotel near Portage and Main and I had to cross 12 lanes of traffic to get anywhere

it feels like a city built around a freeway interchange

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Hubbert posted:

The Winnipeg that could have been ...

what’s the story behind this dream town?

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Gainsboro posted:

The Trans Canada Highway used to run right through the city, which is why Portage is 8 lanes wide. Now that most interprovincial traffic uses the perimeter highway, traversing Winnipeg in a personal motor vehicle is a dream (but public transit sucks).

By contrast driving in Ottawa drains my will to live daily, and the public alternative takes 4-5 times as long, requires three transfers (bus-bus-bus-train) to get downtown, and still costs $150/month.

Crime strongly depends on what part of the city you're in. I lived in the West end (St. James-Assiniboia) and the only thing that happened in 7 years was someone trying (and failing) to steal my bike. No car break-ins, no home invasions, no muggings; however, if I lived North or East of downtown I'd probably have a different experience.

"At least it's a dry cold." - every maritimer on the prairies, every winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

this is a song
from the perspective of my cat

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

honestly same but winkler

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Vintersorg posted:

holy gently caress id kill for those subways :(

wynott dunn posted:

what’s the story behind this dream town?

Hush now, no more dreams.

Only tears now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Durf posted:

my job got me a hotel near Portage and Main and I had to cross 12 lanes of traffic to get anywhere

no winnipeg luckily didn't have the money for a freeway in the 60s. That would have destroyed the city then and there.

i love winnipeg but it has rapidly fallen apart the last 5 years.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

honestly same but winkler

Suplex, I know things are bad, but self-harm to that extent isn't the answer. If you're having suicidal thoughts like that, there are people you can call.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Heather wins im going full survivalist in the woods. Me in a hole with my guns and kd.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Durf posted:

You could have used the underground. Always something fun going on down there

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Fried Watermelon posted:

You could have used the underground. Always something fun going on down there

haha yeah I walked into that brick dungeon once, exited with no idea where I was and walked blocks in the wrong direction down empty busted 6 lane roads

I gotta say though Winnipeg has some gorgeous old buildings, surrounded by what i called the brutalist bladerunner aesthetic

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

there is a Reddit for Canadian subs now but it’s kinda political….

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

corgiwizard posted:

there is a Reddit for Canadian subs now but it’s kinda political….

An entire reddit for 4 leaky subs?

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

eXXon posted:

An entire reddit for 4 leaky subs?

they might be leaky after their doms are all done

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

All this Ukrainian SS Grandpa drama has me pretty thankful that my ancestor from Galicia immigrated here before 1916 which presumably means that he had one of several relatively unproblematic reasons [citation needed?] for doing so such as:

* Hated the Tsar
* Hated the Bolsheviks
* Hated Poland
* Did not want to die in WW1
* Hot Dog! Free Land in Northern Alberta* (*We regret to inform you that the land is terrible)
* Chased out of his village due to ~drama~ ?
* ?

Asked my uncle once if he knew why his Grandpa moved here and he said he never asked. Damnit what the hell man.

Femtosecond has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Oct 4, 2023

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
my family moved from there at the right time for it to be didnt want to die in the russo japanese war , lol

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Hahaha the liberals in manitoba are confident they will keep their 3 seats, and hope to get 1-3 more. They're thinking big things.

Go ndp.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

cbc just talked to a twentysomething PC supporter with a fasc cut who claimed to have a teacher wife who supported parents' rights, and also said no matter who wins they should 'educate women about birth control'

vague enough messaging to get on air so props for his discipline i guess

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My family moved in with the early french colonists so who knows why.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MonsieurChoc posted:

My family moved in with the early french colonists so who knows why.

Based on family legend, Normandy sucked in the 18th c.