Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Leperflesh posted:

the house freedom caucus, e.g. the maga assholes on the far right, own their party and know it and despite being a tiny minority in the house they are flexing and matt gaetz is their current leader

mccarthy knew this when he went in as speaker, knew that he was either going to have to take his marching orders from gaetz or repudiate that wing of his own party, and with a majority in the house of just five seats he's got no choice but either give a bunch of free stuff to the dems to get a few of them to vote for him for speaker, or do whatever the matt gaetz krew want him to do

it's emblematic of the position the whole republican party is in right now: their presidential frontrunner has multiple criminal and civil trials and may go to jail but he still controls the base and would win the primary if it was held today, by a landslide, and the entire rest of the party has no way of simultaneously dealing with that and continuing to refuse to court democrats by actually making compromises and admitting that democratic party priorities don't actually destroy the country and bring about the apocalypse

it's hilarious but also super depressing

This leaves out the fact that McCarthy gave the Freedom Caucus a silver bullet to use against him at any time just so he could say he was Speaker for 9 months.

Like it was the most poisoned poison pill one could imagine and he just said “yep yep, sounds good” and gave them the right to remove him with 1 vote

He’s a loving dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Banshee was also beautifully directed. The episodes with Starrs character in prison training to defend himself from the albino.. the fight itself… beautifully done.

So many amazing characters in that show. Great actresses - the two main female characters are *really* good.

After Chayton it kinda jumped the shark but they very famously had some of the greatest fight choreography on tv. The guy who did it went on to do a ton of avengers and some FX shows

I was worried it was going to end on a cliffhanger with no real finish because it wrapped up right before COVID. I figured that's what killed the show but it turns out that was just a wrap and they did a good job ending things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Freaquency posted:

This leaves out the fact that McCarthy gave the Freedom Caucus a silver bullet to use against him at any time just so he could say he was Speaker for 9 months.

Like it was the most poisoned poison pill one could imagine and he just said “yep yep, sounds good” and gave them the right to remove him with 1 vote

He’s a loving dipshit

I thought the ability of any member to introduce that measure was already just part of the parliamentary rules of the house

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

I thought the ability of any member to introduce that measure was already just part of the parliamentary rules of the house

The House adopts rules at the beginning of the session like at the same time they're electing the speaker, so I think McCarthy allowed that rule change in order to get votes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ah, OK, well that's extra funny

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Looks like we may get a new Speaker of the House.

Won't be overnight

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

like it's amazing, literally all any republican leadership has to do is let go of the last 20 or 30 years of extreme obstruction assholery and go to the super milquetoast center-right dems in the house and senate and negotiate compromise positions, in which the dems will gleefully give away 80% of their needs as an opening position for negotiation, and then they could pass bipartisan bills

but they cannot because they've spent decades poisoning their own base with insane rhetoric about the downfall of civilization if you let the baby murderer mexican loving commie vaxine-poisoned traitor democrats ever accomplish any thing at all

so now how can they "compromise" on a spending bill, impossible :ohdear: what will the base think and do

No War But Culture War

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

dirty shrimp money posted:

Won't be overnight

Probably not, but judging by the current Republican votes, McCarthy is gone. This has never happened before in our history.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good lord

https://twitter.com/alpa_depani/status/1708942375781839320?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Silly Burrito posted:

Tyranny of the minority taken to the extreme.

Did you read this book? I'm waiting on it at my library.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MaximilianK posted:

Did you read this book? I'm waiting on it at my library.

No, but it’s on my list.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

oh my god. i've heard about this for a lot of new construction -- the laminated beams and chipboard they are using basically can't get wet and houses aren't exactly easy building to keep moisture out of. So there have been major issues not long into the life of newer houses.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
McCarthy ousted as speaker. 216-210

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Silly Burrito posted:

No, but it’s on my list.

I'll report back but I'm currently going through "How Democracies Die" and it is just reinforcing my ideas that we are hosed already. And its from 2018.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LoFi Timber what in tarnation :laffo:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Double but I still get a good laugh thinking about the YOUNG GUNS OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY magazine cover, complete with dipshit McCarthy and his head full of grey hair.

:rip: you sack of poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This is like when they renamed the Patagonian Toothfish to Chilean Sea Bass.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

idk what that is about or if it goes into it if I were to click through, but it sure seems like someone trying to act like medium density fiberboard (MDF), which is construction material made by compressing ground up wood with resin, is some kind of bespoke, decorative material

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

idk what that is about or if it goes into it if I were to click through, but it sure seems like someone trying to act like medium density fiberboard (MDF), which is construction material made by compressing ground up wood with resin, is some kind of bespoke, decorative material

Yeah hipsters coopting the subwoofer-box-material-you-can’t-get-wet as a crucial structural member is :discourse:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Former House Speaker Kevin McCallister is a personal friend and he's going to post here

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Glad to see no Dems decided to vote to retain him as some dumb-poo poo, decorum-poisoned gesture across the aisle

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

dirty shrimp money posted:

Won't be overnight

You were saying? :stare:

Hm yes when I think timber I think MDF.

Freaquency posted:

Glad to see no Dems decided to vote to retain him as some dumb-poo poo, decorum-poisoned gesture across the aisle

I could see doing it from a "devil you know" standpoint, because good lord I can only imagine the crazy they'll get now. Not like the Dems are going to be able to put in their own speaker or anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Freaquency posted:

He kind of burned that bridge to the ground with demands no one could deal with because McCarthy is a 'strong leader' as I understand it. It seems like all he had to do was put forward something Dems could at least sort of agree to that would still be awful and he refused to do that.

I mean he had an impossible position to defend because he's a moron, but...well I guess the captain went down with the ship on his position.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think MDF is used often and does have some pros besides just being cheap but the joke is that article calling it Lofi timber?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

You were saying? :stare:

He was saying we may not get a new Speaker today, and that’s true. Probably not unless they all get together and agree on someone.

Psssh. Yeah right.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He kind of burned that bridge to the ground with demands no one could deal with because McCarthy is a 'strong leader' as I understand it. It seems like all he had to do was put forward something Dems could at least sort of agree to that would still be awful and he refused to do that.

I mean he had an impossible position to defend because he's a moron, but...well I guess the captain went down with the ship on his position.

He also made promises before that he reneged on, so short of making actual changes to the House rules or agreeing to some power-sharing measures it was going to be a non-starter anyway, but I was still slightly surprised that he didn’t peel off any Ds

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I think MDF is used often and does have some pros besides just being cheap but the joke is that article calling it Lofi timber?

Yes.

Engineered/manufactured materials used in home construction are more commonly something other than MDF - for example, cement-bonded particle board is moisture resistant and commonly used in construction, and Oriented Strand Board (OSB) is very commonly used as sheathing and underfloor on homes. Some people just generically call all of these "MDF" without knowing what that means.

Actually-MDF swells and crumbles when it absorbs moisture, so it's completely inappropriate for any exterior use and probably inappropriate for many interior uses where occasional moisture can penetrate... and yet, it's very commonly used in cheap kitchen cabinets, as a substrate under melamine or similar for cheap kitchen countertops, etc. So it's not like "this cheap poo poo is the wrong choice" actually stops homebuilders from using it anyway!

It's used for speaker cabinets because of its stability of shape and acoustic qualities. I wonder if that's where the "lofi" idea comes from, but I would have thought it'd be "hifi" instead?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Silly Burrito posted:

He was saying we may not get a new Speaker today, and that’s true. Probably not unless they all get together and agree on someone.

Psssh. Yeah right.

I misread then. I'm ashamed of myself.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I’m watching The L Word right now and I think it just may have cracked my egg if I watched it 20 years ago.
Virtually every queer woman I know has seen it, including my hairdresser, who told me she used to style her hair like Shane’s (which…I would be surprised if she didn’t, honestly.)

Anyway, that’s what I do instead of keeping precise tabs on when they’re going to go full fash in DC.

I need to go back and watch The L Word one of these days, just because 20-something me just didn't know how to process any of it at the time (in a "I don't know why I feel weird things while I watch this and it makes me uncomfortable so I'm going to avoid it" way), and I'd like to see how I'd react to it now.

Freaquency posted:

He also made promises before that he reneged on, so short of making actual changes to the House rules or agreeing to some power-sharing measures it was going to be a non-starter anyway, but I was still slightly surprised that he didn’t peel off any Ds

Weren't there some Dems saying that if he wanted to reach across the aisle to save his rear end, he'd have to set any promises he made in stone first because they didn't trust him?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Just landed in Austin but if the airport is any indication, this town is gonna be rad.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Weren't there some Dems saying that if he wanted to reach across the aisle to save his rear end, he'd have to set any promises he made in stone first because they didn't trust him?

Yea. I think Jayapal in particular told him to gently caress off unless he comes back with something concrete

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just landed in Austin but if the airport is any indication, this town is gonna be rad.

Oh man you’re in for a treat

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dems really need to just do nothing except have a list of demands and buckets of popcorn.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

First recommendation was Roaring Fork for dinner.

I'm here

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

First recommendation was Roaring Fork for dinner.

I'm here

I highly recommend hitting up Canje if you have the chance. It’s high end Afro-Caribbean and is hands down the best place I’ve eaten there.

https://canjeatx.com/

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

Dems really need to just do nothing except have a list of demands and buckets of popcorn.

Is it against House rules to have food on the floor? If not, I would just be chilling at my desk chomping popcorn as loudly as I could.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I highly recommend hitting up Canje if you have the chance. It’s high end Afro-Caribbean and is hands down the best place I’ve eaten there.

That shall be tomorrow's dinner

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Today is a pork Chile verde appetizer followed by rainbow trout. Pics later. I'm eating.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Russian Guyovitch posted:

it's not even that high end -- it was so good and reasonably priced compared to some restaurants in town.

what kinds of food do you want to eat? i can give you my recs. I'm guessing you're downtown if at the roaring fork?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Proven by the opposition results oriented decisions that will absolutely not happen from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Think Matt Gaetz is still going to be a member of Congress in a week? I gotta imagine every possible speck of dirt on him is about to get leaked to the media.