Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oooof, is Poor Workmanship as bad as Prototype? That thing is going to be a walking bomb if so.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Oooof, is Poor Workmanship as bad as Prototype? That thing is going to be a walking bomb if so.

Prototype is a +2 to critical damage rolls, Poor Workmanship is only a +1

It's still really bad.

I wanted to give it "Ramshackle" but most of the negative quirks Ramshackle can roll aren't very interesting.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So no way we're talking Mikal out of correcting this monstrosity if we bring it back with us.

Shame the BNC-3S won't exist for another 250 years or so. Though saying that, it's already got the downgraded engine, so it might actually be easier to cobble something together that resembles the 3S rather than trying to restore it to an inferior, contemporary factory loadout.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 3, 2023

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

This is just what happens when your chief engineer has watched too much Voltron.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Everything's ready to go, though.

Edit: Forgot the heat sinks.
Double Edit: And the armor.

Ah, so it's a Quikscell job.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It may be a deathtrap, but it's still a 3/5 Banshee, which makes it a heavily armed brick that would give even an Atlas a hard time. And it's not the only time dropping the engine down a size has turned an assault mech from a joke into a legitimate threat.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been slow-rolling the next mission because I'm starting with a new company tomorrow. It shouldn't change my ability to get updates done, they just might be slightly later in the evenings. On the plus side, it's a much more stable schedule that actually has holidays off. So, it's an improvement across the board.

Everything's ready to go, though.

Ally teaser.

No ejection. So, it's a total deathtrap.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If we're lucky maybe it'll get headcapped and left for us to haul off. We don't really have the lance composition to support it, but it's still an assault mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a not-so-subtle reference to PGI's Corsair, which is "technically a Banshee under all the other crap."

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ally teaser.

Even with its laundry list of negative quirks, I'd still take this over the stock Banshee every time. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ally teaser.

Wait is that 10 hea- WHAT IS THAT ARMOR???

:stonklol:

quote:

I had my hopes up that this mission was going to get wild.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If I really wanted to juggle with the FrankenMech rules, it'd have an Archer's armor and structure on the left torso and left arm; and a Warhammer's armor and structure on the right arm.

I'm just not feeling that nitpicky, so it kept the Banshee stock armor. We'll see if it survives the mission.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a not-so-subtle reference to PGI's Corsair, which is "technically a Banshee under all the other crap."

IS IT?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wait, someone has a 95 ton Mech that.. Okay, I was going to say 'can walk upright' but then I saw the 'flaws' list..

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

wedgekree posted:

Wait, someone has a 95 ton Mech that.. Okay, I was going to say 'can walk upright' but then I saw the 'flaws' list..

And then the moment it falls over there's a very good chance it'll go off like a fireworks factory. It only having 3 tons of ammo is something of a miracle.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 3, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i made this

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

biosterous posted:

i made this

Well, that answers the question 'So what inspired the Clans to make the Hellbringer?'

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

biosterous posted:

i made this

Ah, the solahma heavy. Just like the warriors, it's a bunch of the old stuff still lying around undamaged cobbled together.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

biosterous posted:

i made this

The worst part? It doesn't even look all that bad. Certainly more pleasing to look at than a lot of Civil War/Jihad-era designs.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

The worst part? It doesn't even look all that bad. Certainly more pleasing to look at than a lot of Civil War/Jihad-era designs.

:tipshat:

using the most-modern art of each and making sure the angles lined up helped a lot. just wish i'd found a higher-resolution pic of the banshee, the pixelated torso PPC bugs me a lil

e: imo the funniest part was covering up the WHM's torso ML and then adding the BLM's torso ML to replace it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

biosterous posted:

i made this

Linked and credited. Also reason enough for me to do more terrible FrankenMechs.

Cythereal posted:

Well, that answers the question 'So what inspired the Clans to make the Hellbringer?'

The real answer to that question is "The Cyclops."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 3, 2023

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

The real answer to that question is "The Cyclops."

Really? I always thought it was a restyle of the Warhammer with a more obvious cockpit location, down to the shoulder spotlight.

I guess I see the Cyclops in it too, but my first TRO was 3050 and the Cyclops art in that is so derp that I just might never have taken it seriously.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Both the Loki and Thor are kitbashes of a Warhammer, Marauder and Thunderbolt, just not the same one. Goes back to the original Virtual World pods coming up with ways to save space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Design-wise, yes. The Hellbringer is supposed to evoke the Warhammer.

Purposes-wise no. The Hellbringer is a command 'Mech with an impressive EWAR suite, just like the Cyclops. It really should have the BattleComputer quirk, it always baffled me why they only gave it a searchlight.

Just like the Cyclops it sacrifices armor for speed and firepower in the hopes that its firepower will deter headhunters. The Cyclops sacrifices a lot for that AC/20. The Hellbringer just happens to be good enough at long range sniping to be able to threaten more than just a lance of unwary Locusts.

The Clans never really took advantage of the Hellbringer's C&C abilities, but the Dragoons certainly did. It was a 'mech purpose-built for a niche the Clans don't actually use.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was just making a joke about a canon mech famed in-setting for having a wild mishmash of guns. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
For the same reason I poke fun at the Inner Sphere for being "unable to comprehend the" Wasp IIC the Incubus

Anyway, definitely have more terrible FrankenMechs planned.

Like maybe the Hunchawk. Or the HammerAxe. Or OstAll. Or maybe even something silly like the Phoenix HawkHawkHawk.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 4, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Phoenix Hunch!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Phoenix Hunch better be a LAM.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Hunch LAM would be... something. I'm going to play it safe and say terrible, in multiple senses.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Isn't the Lightning basically a hunchback in plane form

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Personally I'm just imagining a Hunchback with the modern PHawk's back thrusters awkwardly welded to it, that spins when it jumps due to the lopsided weight distribution.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hornet Hawk

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

For the same reason I poke fun at the Inner Sphere for being "unable to comprehend the" Wasp IIC the Incubus

The current Incubus model could have walked onto the set of a Gundam show and no one would be the wiser. It's probably why they can't comprehend it. Genre-bending.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

The current Incubus model could have walked onto the set of a Gundam show and no one would be the wiser. It's probably why they can't comprehend it. Genre-bending.

loving hell you're right, I can't unsee it now. It's like a GM that somebody bonked with a giant cartoon mallet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SerthVarnee posted:

Phoenix Hunch!

Ace Attorney franchise getting weird

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kesper North posted:

Isn't the Lightning basically a hunchback in plane form

I'm picturing an even uglier A-10 Warthog.

BRRRRRRT

A common Warthog unit unofficial "morale patch".

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 5, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm picturing an even uglier A-10 Warthog.

BRRRRRRT

A common Warthog unit unofficial "morale patch".

There is a certain resemblance.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Z the IVth posted:

Now picturing a character from the Battletech universe trying to look upon a design from the Gundam universe, except every time they try, their vision glitches out like they were trying to view an Eldritch God and their brains were auto-editting the unspeakable being before them as a defense mechanism against reality-shattering madness.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
IV5267 – Glint (Local Name)
Frigid (Local Name), Port Afternoon Outskirts
Spinward Periphery
June 19th, 2763

A bitter wind stirred up devils of dry, powdery snow. The spheroid Confederate-class DropShip Dimetrodon wasn’t a great windbreak by itself; but the massive white tarps they’d draped from the top to hide the ship from optical satellites formed something of a gigantic dome-shaped tent; which was more than large enough to create a shady little dead zone on the leeward side. The whole arrangement was more than large enough to stir up little vortices—tiny tornados of diamond dust. The little ground flurries died down whenever the wind grew calm—which wasn’t often. If the weather had been more cooperative, the ship might’ve been buried in a thin layer of snow, saving them the trouble of putting up the camouflage tent; but it didn’t actually snow on Frigid. At least, not during planetary spring.

Overhead, the distant pinprick of Glint, the system’s primary hung motionless, forever stuck somewhere between 1:30 to 2:00 pm. Frigid was tidally locked; but just skimmed the edge of Glint’s habitable zone. It was an eyeball planet, only about a third of the planet’s surface was even passably inhabitable and none of that was ever comfortable. Most of the local plant life was imported; as were all of the animals. It was only during the height of summer—at the nadir of Frigid’s orbit—that the air grew warm enough for snow to fall.

While the ship was probably comfortably hidden, the activity around it wasn’t. In order to disguise it, the Star Leaguers had erected a half-dozen log cabins in the local style—which provided a few places to sleep that weren’t onboard; and helped prevent the crew from going stir crazy even if none of the cabins were particularly warm. Negotiations with the locals hadn’t gone particularly well—but they’d at least been permitted to land the ship within the concrete berms protecting Port Afternoon. After more than a month, relations were finally starting to thaw.

Port Afternoon was the largest city on Frigid, with a population nearing twelve thousand. The bulk of its structure was made from the original colony ship and shored up with more recent hardwood constructions. Evergreens grew surprisingly quickly on Frigid, and had taken over the sunward side the same way the colonists’ cold-adapted Quillar corn dominated the conical native grasses. The locals were a stoic bunch, edging towards paranoia—but Syntyche found herself grateful for their over-planning. The entire city was ringed by two concentric rings of concrete berms and firing steps designed to let BattleMechs fire out at attackers without providing cover from the inner rings. While the berm was uneven and overgrown in places, it was still an excellent defensive fortification that should help them even the odds against a larger attacking force.

Syntyche stopped at one of the fire barrels in the lee of one of the cabins; and peeled off her thick wool gloves to warm her hands against the chill. None of the members of her lance were permitted to travel more than a five minute walk from the Dimetrodon. Of all the assets the SLDF had landed, they were currently the only irreplaceable one.

“If you’re looking for Ravager, she’s gone into town again.” A marine at the barrel scowled. It was their job to keep track of her comings and goings, and lately the supposedly ex-pirate was gone more than not.

She waved his concern off, “Just warming up after a walk. We’ll be leaving her here if the locals decide to take her on.”

“Assuming the settlements don’t get wiped out,” the marine scowled, tipping his head back to gaze skyward. The snow goggles they all wore to protect their vision from the blinding glare were narrow enough that it was still easy to tell where anyone was looking. “There’s enough wood construction they’ll go up like tinder if the PPCs start flying.”

“We’re here to make sure that doesn’t happen,” She replied calmly. “If it’s at all possible. I’m just hoping we can knock an attacker out and take a captive that isn’t a vegetable.”

“Hope that’s soon,” the marine bit back a shiver, burying himself more deeply in his heavy coat. “I didn’t come out here to play exocolonist.”

“None of us did,” Syntyche agreed. “Sad thing is? I’m actually starting to get used to the cold. When I left the ship an hour ago, I caught myself thinking: ‘Huh, nice day.’ It’s only about half a degree warmer today than it was last week. My Mongoose is going to feel sweltering when we drill tomorrow—I might have to leave the hatch open.”

The marine laughed, “Ha—I feel that. I just don’t want to get too used to this snowball—”

Their portable radios bleeped a warning tone, interrupting the conversation. An amber light flashed on the marine’s comm, while Syntyche’s flashed an angry red. She slipped in her earpiece, and winced as the cold plastic touched her ear.

“Prodigal to DC&C; reporting in.”

“Dimetrodon Command and Control to Prodigal.” Prodigal didn’t recognize the voice; but that wasn’t a surprise. She still wasn’t familiar with all the watch personnel. The speaker continued, “We've got a drive pillar on optical sensors. Too small to be a cargo hauler. Probably Union-class, but it could be as big as a Fortress.”

“We’ll get suited up.” Prodigal announced, turning towards the Dimetrodon and breaking into a steady jog.

“Locals are denying us permission to sortie,” the bridge officer reported. “They want to see if they can handle things without our help.”

Prodigal winced. On the one hand, it would let them play hammer to the local’s anvil, which suited her fine. On the other hand, it made it more likely they’d all be overwhelmed—and that was a risk she’d have preferred not to take.

“We’ll just have to do our best with it, and hope they call us in before they’re wiped out. Better wake the Captain and prep the Dimetrodon to launch just in case—if they’re landing a Fortress-class there might not be anything we can do.”

Map Preview

Player List is open. Please send me a PM if you’re interested in playing this mission! Standard rules apply:
- First come first served
- First four applicants will be accepted
- Last mission’s alternate, notenome, gets to jump the line if they want in

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwarsd to watching! I haven't the faintest clue on how to play so won't ever be doing piloting duties! And hey, if you do well here you might get another dropship!