Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

nonjoke post: =(

e: dumb snipe. suncat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

GXL posted:

Hello all. I am the Costco PAPR man, I am the voicebox light-up bubble helmet man. This will be my penultimate post in the CSPAM covid thread. I can no longer read the posts here due to the latent threat of revisiting the traumatic experience of the Costco sample vendor incident. I have processed my feelings on the matter and am at peace, but do not need to be constantly reminded of it by visiting this place. The thread has been a valuable resource for me over the past few years and I have benefited from my time spent reading it. I give my sincere thanks the constructive, helpful people who have shared their information and perspectives. I would like to be remembered as one of those positive contributors, so I will be posting a final art project in this thread tomorrow, October 4th 2023 at 2:00 p.m. PST. Thank you again.

Dudes rock. Never stop man. Never stop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

it targets parts of the virus that don’t change between variants,

It doesn’t though.

It can be claimed that some titrations showed worse neutralization from recipients of Comirnaty/Spikevax Legacy Edition (at a time when the Omicron-targeting bivalent shots were also available) than from Novavax Legacy Edition.

There is speculation that the better neutralization is thanks to the spike being attached to free-floating nanoparticles rather than excreted at cell membranes, or that the adjuvant is key, but all three vaccines approved in the U.S. present essentially the same full-length spike.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Finally not being able to find a mRNA shot pays off!

Unless of course I am unable to get a novavax appointment either :rubby:,

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

what I'm hearing is "get both"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

mdemone posted:

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mdemone posted:

It’s a solid hypothesis that getting a second shot targeting XBB.1.5 is more important this year than getting a third shot of the original formulation was in October 2021, but the sociological construction of the end of the pandemic is so complete that no one from government panelists to journalist to Max Titers is considering it.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

DominoKitten posted:

so something I’m hearing about biobot

https://twitter.com/babs_zone/status/1709039811804504370
As far as Biobot's current coverage goes, at its peak they'd report data on 240 counties per week. It's now down to around 2/3 of that. All regions are impacted pretty evenly. I imagine it'll fall off a cliff once the October data starts rolling in.

(Deliberately excluding data from the most recent week, since Biobot usually has a 1 week lag before all places report their data, but they publish the incomplete stuff regardless)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

oh gently caress yeah fill me up

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It’s a solid hypothesis that getting a second shot targeting XBB.1.5 is more important this year than getting a third shot of the original formulation was in October 2021, but the sociological construction of the end of the pandemic is so complete that no one from government panelists to journalist to Max Titers is considering it.

I'm still hearing "get both", maybe there is some interference happening here

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Awesome on the Novavax news. I have an appointment for next week to get Pfizered that I'm not gonna cancel just yet though, gonna wait and see if Novavax actually appears as an option anywhere between now and then since I need some max titers in late October/early November.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

GXL posted:

Hello all. I am the Costco PAPR man, I am the voicebox light-up bubble helmet man. This will be my penultimate post in the CSPAM covid thread. I can no longer read the posts here due to the latent threat of revisiting the traumatic experience of the Costco sample vendor incident. I have processed my feelings on the matter and am at peace, but do not need to be constantly reminded of it by visiting this place. The thread has been a valuable resource for me over the past few years and I have benefited from my time spent reading it. I give my sincere thanks the constructive, helpful people who have shared their information and perspectives. I would like to be remembered as one of those positive contributors, so I will be posting a final art project in this thread tomorrow, October 4th 2023 at 2:00 p.m. PST. Thank you again.

I can't quite tell what part is serious and what isn't, so I will just say I hope you keep posting here :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goon lore is now that he’s unable to post because he’s going to prison for executing a brutal fatality on a cheesemonger.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

GXL posted:

Stay safe homie

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sample time is over

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My alive straight MAJOR UNIVERSITY west coast hospital.... is not offering covid vaccines at all this year. You have to get it from your primary care doctor, a thing people definitely have.

:rubby:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

LuxuryLarva posted:

Covid is, obviously, a terrible disease that has killed people I know but I received unemployment benefits during that time period and I have never felt safer, happier, or more free than that moment and it was because rich people felt like they would die if I went outside and coughed and to this day I still get a little twinge of "really? That's what it takes to make them care about me?" and it still feels extremely, terribly, loving dark to think that. Feels dark to say that.

Yeah, we had a brief glimmer of hope. drat you, Tom Hanks' immune system!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hell yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oh no! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention accidentally published the chart for bats and their S‑rank immune systems!

Here’s one that’s more appropriate for B‑rank human systems:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

moth me, bitch

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

LuxuryLarva posted:

Covid is, obviously, a terrible disease that has killed people I know but I received unemployment benefits during that time period and I have never felt safer, happier, or more free than that moment and it was because rich people felt like they would die if I went outside and coughed and to this day I still get a little twinge of "really? That's what it takes to make them care about me?" and it still feels extremely, terribly, loving dark to think that. Feels dark to say that.

Posing a threat to the safety and luxury of the rich is a reliable way to get the goods.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Death of Innocence posted:

Does anyone have any good ideas on covid safe jobs? I know most people would suggest work from home and remote jobs, I have a BA in Economics and I’m open to those suggestions, but as a cursed Millennial nearly all my jobs have been retail, grocery, and food service. I did work at an extremely hosed up family business for more than a decade so I do have business management, clerical, administrative, etc. experience. I was working at a fast casual restaurant when covid hit, and I eventually left for a job maintaining the landscaping around utility poles, which was equally awesome and terrible (threats from chud landowners, working with herbicides, pay was good but not enough to move within commuting distance) and I would like to get back to something like that if I can find the right opportunity. Most recently I have been working as a medical courier, which probably doesn’t count as covid safe, but I got only minimal pushback on my mask. Working as a medical courier does not pay enough. These last two jobs are similar in that I would drive a company vehicle places and then do stuff. Driving a company vehicle means most of the day I am not exposed to coworkers and customers. I would prefer outside work that lets me move around and physically do things, I maybe wouldn’t prefer to sit at a computer. I don’t want to be just a driver, which is also too much sitting. Mostly I need something attainable that gets me out of minimum wage hell and lets me rent like a basic studio apartment and save a little money every month.

My SIL become a medical coder (not the programming kind) by taking an exam after studying a bit. She works for Kaiser and is 100% remote.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Girlfriend will be happy to learn I no longer need the blender to make moth smoothies.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

are there any useful reports of novavax vs. mrna efficacy for what's actually floating around right now?

i'm aiming moth due to seemingly lower incidence of side effects. i don't know if there's substantial evidence that mixing moth + 5g does anything magical. is there a strong theoretical basis for believing it does?

as long as novavax isn't significant less capable than mrna, that's my shot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My SIL become a medical coder (not the programming kind) by taking an exam after studying a bit. She works for Kaiser and is 100% remote.

What's the pay

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Another study out on BA.2.86, in this case using pseudotyped virus instead of pseudovirus:
"Antigenicity and receptor affinity of SARS-CoV-2 BA.2.86 spike"

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.09.24.559214v2 posted:

Abstract
Although the COVID-19 pandemic has officially ended1, SARS-CoV-2 continues to spread and evolve. Recent infections have been dominated by XBB.1.5 and EG.5.1 subvariants2. A new subvariant designated BA.2.86 has just emerged, spreading to 21 countries in 5 continents3. This virus contains 34 spike mutations compared to its BA.2 predecessor, thereby raising concerns about its propensity to evade existing antibodies. We examined its antigenicity using human sera and monoclonal antibodies (mAbs). Reassuringly, BA.2.86 was not more resistant to human sera than XBB.1.5 and EG.5.1, indicating that the new subvariant would not have a growth advantage in this regard. Importantly, sera from patients who had XBB breakthrough infection exhibited robust neutralizing activity against all viruses tested, suggesting that upcoming XBB.1.5 monovalent vaccines could confer added protection. The finding that the longer genetic distance of BA.2.86 did not yield a larger antigenic distance was partially explained by the mAb data. While BA.2.86 showed greater resistance to mAbs to subdomain 1 (SD1) and receptor-binding domain (RBD) class 2 and 3 epitopes, it was more sensitive to mAbs to class 1 and 4/1 epitopes in the “inner face” of RBD that is exposed only when this domain is in the “up” position. We also identified six new spike mutations that mediate antibody resistance, including E554K that threatens SD1 mAbs in clinical development. The BA.2.86 spike also had a remarkably high receptor affinity. The ultimate trajectory of this new SARS-CoV-2 variant will soon be revealed by continuing surveillance, but its worldwide spread is worrisome.[/b]

Bloom Lab have a short and interesting twitter thread on it here:
https://nitter.net/jbloom_lab/status/1707382327620612336

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

drat i thought about buying some nvax this morning when it looked like it was bottoming out but i chickened out because its an extremely shorted stock apparently.

could've made some easy money.

anyway give me that moth juice.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

are there any useful reports of novavax vs. mrna efficacy for what's actually floating around right now?

i'm aiming moth due to seemingly lower incidence of side effects. i don't know if there's substantial evidence that mixing moth + 5g does anything magical. is there a strong theoretical basis for believing it does?

The data we have from the vaccine producers on the XBB.1.5 vaccines are blood sera from: humans (Moderna), mice (Pfizer) and macaque monkeys (Novavax). So there isn't much basis for direct comparison.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

i believe theyre targeting the same variant but novavax provides a larger chunk of protein for the immune system to look at so in theory that might make it generate more durable immunity across variants perhaps possibly but i dont think there's any good cross comparison data on the actual real world efficacy for the boosters

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Platystemon posted:

Oh no! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention accidentally published the chart for bats and their S‑rank immune systems!

Here’s one that’s more appropriate for B‑rank human systems:

so I can stack my mRNA with novavax? looks like it unless I’m not understanding something.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

PoundSand posted:

there’s an anime on Netflix right now that’s about a Japanese salaryman super stoked it’s the zombie apocalypse cause it means he doesn’t have to go to work anymore
Personally I plan to quiet quit during the zombie apocalypse

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

sonatinas posted:

so I can stack my mRNA with novavax? looks like it unless I’m not understanding something.

Not according to that chart, unless you got a dose of Novavax before the updated mRNAs were available.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

The Oldest Man posted:

moth me, bitch

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Not according to that chart, unless you got a dose of Novavax before the updated mRNAs were available.

They haven't updated the chart for the '23-24 Novavax booster yet.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

bed bugs are mild and endemic imo

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
stoked to moth up

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

skooma512 posted:

What's the pay

~30 an hour

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

They haven't updated the chart for the '23-24 Novavax booster yet.

Sure, I am just guessing OP asked because s/he missed the caveat on the left.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

moth me daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sonatinas posted:

The charts are from before the approval of Novavax Kraken Edition.

Now, from today’s Novavax Kraken approval:

quote:

2.3 Dose and Schedule

Individuals 12 Years of Age and Older Previously Vaccinated with Any COVID-19 Vaccine

Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) is administered intramuscularly as a single 0.5 mL dose at least 2 months after receipt of the last previous dose of COVID-19 vaccine.

Individuals 12 Years of Age and Older Not Previously Vaccinated with Any COVID-19 Vaccine

Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) is administered intramuscularly as a series of two doses (0.5 mL each) 3 weeks apart.

Individuals 12 Years of Age and Older with Certain Kinds of Immunocompromise

For individuals with certain kinds of immunocompromise, an additional dose of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) may be administered at least 2 months following the last dose of a COVID-19 vaccine (2023-2024 Formula). Additional doses of Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted (2023-2024 Formula) may be administered at the discretion of the healthcare provider, taking into consideration the individual’s clinical circumstances. The timing of the additional doses may be based on the individual’s clinical circumstances.

In contrast,

quote:

2.3 Dosing and Schedule

SPIKEVAX is administered as a single 0.5 mL dose.

For individuals previously vaccinated with any COVID-19 vaccine, administer the dose of SPIKEVAX at least 2 months after the last dose of COVID-19 vaccine.

Unvaccinated persons would be wise to seek Novavax now, because a prime+boost of Novavax Kraken is liable to set them up better than a single shot of Comirnaty/Spikevax Kraken.