Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Remember in that Kah'less episode when Word got really hyped about restoring honour and purity to the Empire? Would have loved to hear in more detail what he thought that actually entailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Is there? I thought it was vacant until they cloned Kahless and he was a figurehead like the Japanese emperor is now.

IIRC Kahless 1.0 founded the empire and when he died he promised he'd return so the High Council were like 'okay then we'll just act as his collective regent until he comes back SOUNDS GOOD TO US'. And then yeah when they cloned up Kahless 2.0 he was shoved into toothless figurehead position. So in theory it's always been an Empire in name even though the Emperor was 'temporarily' dead for most of it and the council and Chancellor governed it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The choice of “chancellor” for the title of the Klingon head of state implies an officer of a royal government. At this point it’s of course purely nominal and the chancellor controls everything as long as he can play politics. You notice, however, the chancellor does not get to directly name his successor—we see in TNG that he has to designate an arbiter (Picard, presumably taking on the ceremonial role that would at one time have been filled by the monarch) who then announces the candidates for the chancellorship and lets them work it out. such a situation would not have arisen if not for the institutional forebears of Gorkon, Gowron et al being literal chancellors under guys like the original Kahless, who really did hold supreme power.

The implication of clone Kahless being made emperor is, I guess, that the chancellors have been sitting there (for maybe centuries) doing the job of a vacant throne that they don’t dare take for themselves, like the stewards of Gondor in LOTR. In which case, Worf’s idea to fix the empire is basically to find the heir of Gondor and give him his ancient sword.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Really surprised Kah'less never popped up or cameo'd in Deep Space Nine

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Feldegast42 posted:

Really surprised Kah'less never popped up or cameo'd in Deep Space Nine
I figure they used up the guest budget between Gowron, Martok, and Kor

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That episode is so hard to watch thanks to the crazy dialog

might just be my bad trek opinions but I kinda liked it

universal translator shouldn't get all the nuance of speech and it's nice when it shows

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No Dignity posted:

Remember in that Kah'less episode when Word got really hyped about restoring honour and purity to the Empire? Would have loved to hear in more detail what he thought that actually entailed

Rule #1 of the New Honorable Klingon Empire: NO LAUGHING.

Rule #2: a father does not have to raise his own son if it interferes with his duties, or he does not want to.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What if that kid has really bad vibes y'know

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rule 3: the punishment for treason shall be dog collars. I will not be taking any questions at this time

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
and furthermore where is the Cardassian Emperor hey

I feel like with the klingon empire saying "Kahless is the emperor" isn't really a Gondor style situation but you've got a figurehead emperor in the form of a sorta-dead-god

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rule 4: Do whatever you can to avoid having a nice sexy vacation on a beach planet with your soon to be wife

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

and furthermore where is the Cardassian Emperor hey

I feel like with the klingon empire saying "Kahless is the emperor" isn't really a Gondor style situation but you've got a figurehead emperor in the form of a sorta-dead-god

There were definitely emperors after Kahless. His descendants or whatever. In “Rightful Heir” Gowron says both that Kahless has been gone for a thousand years and that there hasn’t been an emperor in 300. I agree that in the “modern” day Kahless has become a messianic figure to orthodox Klingons, but they obviously replaced him with regular dynasts at some point, and then got rid of those guys and replaced them with politicians who continued to hold their empire in trust.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, it was a sexy vacation with your future wife's past life girlfriend who had sex to death with future wife's past life and that's just making everything weird

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

There were definitely emperors after Kahless. His descendants or whatever. In “Rightful Heir” Gowron says both that Kahless has been gone for a thousand years and that there hasn’t been an emperor in 300. I agree that in the “modern” day Kahless has become a messianic figure to orthodox Klingons, but they obviously replaced him with regular dynasts at some point, and then got rid of those guys and replaced them with politicians who continued to hold their empire in trust.

It's a shame how up in the air it is, like that ONE episode is the only source we have for it.
Still, where's the cardassian emperor

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Taear posted:

It's a shame how up in the air it is, like that ONE episode is the only source we have for it.
Still, where's the cardassian emperor

It's called the Cardassian Union officially in the shows, and at some point they talk about their history and having poets and a republic or some such. It's just the Klingons and the Romulans that are officially (Star) Empires.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Wow this Winn lady in the last episode of DS9 season one sure was awful, hope she won't be showing up again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good news!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Wow this Winn lady in the last episode of DS9 season one sure was awful, hope she won't be showing up again.

Your pagh is weak my child

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*grabs a Ferengi lobe* your pagh is... very horny.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's just pah! Pagh is Klingon spiritual strength and is best served live.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

Apparently there was a DVD copy of Star Trek: Borg released only in Japan and someone has gotten ahold of that and ripped it and upscaled and retuned all the footage and made it playable online? https://borgremastered.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jBYkjBF8Zw

Haven't played it yet but the quality improvement looks impressive.

Well this is loving cool.

I do wish I wasn't such a goddamn nerd that I immediately noticed the Voyager era uniforms on the ship headed to Wolf 359.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

It's called the Cardassian Union officially in the shows, and at some point they talk about their history and having poets and a republic or some such. It's just the Klingons and the Romulans that are officially (Star) Empires.

I mean I've seen it on outside-of-show things called the Cardassian Union, but in the show they continually and repeatedly call it the cardassian empire

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A lot of people said "the Soviet Empire" and there was no Soviet emperor. Maybe Stalin.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

In Frame of Mind, Riker is a bit out of sorts. We know this because his hair is unkempt. I feel like I've already seen better versions of this already, not least Schisms from earlier in the season. Oddly unremarkable, given the amount of hysterical overacting Frakes is doing. And that's just in the play.

Frame of Mind is one of my top TNG episodes, largely because it very much feels like an episode of The Prisoner, and that loving rocks. Plus Frakes is fantastic at the unhinged look/acting and I will take it any day.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The British had a pretty big empire and they didn't call the monarch the emperor (except as the empress of India).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I did not hate "And the Children Shall Lead". In fact, it might be the best of season 3 so far. It's disturbingly dark and is very Star Trek overall.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Atlas Hugged posted:

I did not hate "And the Children Shall Lead". In fact, it might be the best of season 3 so far. It's disturbingly dark and is very Star Trek overall.

Season 3 has its moments.

Maybe skip the very last episode though...

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Suspicions is where Beverly once again proves herself most on the ball, give-no-fucks, dogged investigator. Sorry Data, your little Sherlock puppet show is a bit too obvious. She's absolutely convinced from the off that she's right in everything she's doing and when it all spirals out of control and goes wrong, thankfully she has Guinan and her tennis elbow (cute button on the story) to set her straight. STRAIGHT INTO A FUCKEN' SUN. She shoots a sea sponge lookin' dude and it makes a huge hole in him and it's rad as gently caress, it's all rad as gently caress. Hell, there was even a Ferengi in this one that I didn't hate. Poor little fella.

Rightful Heir is bananas. At the precise moment Worf is having a religious crisis and goes looking for Our Klingon Lord and Saviour, well, wouldn't you know it, he appears in the flesh. Yes, Kahless, tubby little Kahless. Worf's so easily swayed back and forth here, it's quite comical how quickly he changes his tune, sceptic, believer, sceptic again. Gowron beams in and immediately looks as if he's about to choke slam Picard through a table, which is nice. No idea what to really make of that? Might easily be one of the maddest Klingon episodes if nothing else.

Gully Foyle posted:

Frame of Mind is one of my top TNG episodes, largely because it very much feels like an episode of The Prisoner, and that loving rocks. Plus Frakes is fantastic at the unhinged look/acting and I will take it any day.

Coming round to the idea that I might not have been giving this its fair due, but I've been ill since the weekend and really struggled with an ENTIRE head ache through those two episodes. My teeth hurt, my ears ached, my eyes were sore, that kind of deal. I was just "He's going to wake up on a bed, he's going to wake up on a bed, SEE! He woke up on a bed!" Sometimes you're just not in the right mindset, I guess.

I do need to actually watch The Prisoner some day. Only ever seen the first episode and was immediately intrigued, but for whatever reason, I never went further.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Fun fact; one of the child actors in this episode went on to invent the blaster beam instrument as heard in the soundtracks of Star Treks 1 to 3. I have no clue how I have retained this piece of trivia, other than maybe I am a massive soundtrack ho.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The thing which gets missed about Suspicions is that Beverly should still be receiving disciplinary action despite everything that happened in the episode!

She was going to be disciplined for performing the autopsy on the Ferengi scientist, and even after solving the mystery she still did the autopsy.

It also makes me wonder whether Geordi was going to be hosting these scientists as this feels much more a technical rather than a medical situation, but they adapted it to be Beverly since she’s not really done much this season…

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Look, she flew a shuttle through a sun. Stands to reason that she gets off purely on Rule of Cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MuddyFunster posted:

Look, she flew a shuttle through a sun. Stands to reason that she gets off purely on Rule of Cool.

No she gets off on candles

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Rightful Heir is bananas.

My favorite bit from this episode is the story of the man who was not afraid of the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU77k-xqd4

There were so many people during the pandemic who really needed to hear this. Forget Jesus, these people need Kahless in their heart.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

Season 3 has its moments.

Maybe skip the very last episode though...

Much as I hate the underlying conceit of the episode, I can't argue for someone to skip it, simply on the basis that it has Shatner going all-out

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite bit from this episode is the story of the man who was not afraid of the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU77k-xqd4

There were so many people during the pandemic who really needed to hear this. Forget Jesus, these people need Kahless in their heart.

Star Trek: Forget Jesus, these people need Kahless in their heart

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cenotaph posted:

The British had a pretty big empire and they didn't call the monarch the emperor (except as the empress of India).

I mean, yea we did.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MuddyFunster posted:

Fun fact; one of the child actors in this episode went on to invent the blaster beam instrument as heard in the soundtracks of Star Treks 1 to 3. I have no clue how I have retained this piece of trivia, other than maybe I am a massive soundtrack ho.

Fun fact: the Asian characters' surname is Tsing Tao which is the name of a popular beer in China. I don't know that it could be a surname in Chinese, so I'm curious where the writers got it from. Almost all Chinese surnames are a single syllable and given names are typically two for a three syllable name altogether, though exceptions exist of course. However, the Chinese speakers I've spoken to in the last day certainly don't think they've ever heard of it as a surname, not that it isn't or couldn't be, but it's definitely not usual.

It's interesting to see that Paradise Syndrome is usually rated pretty highly and And the Children Should Lead is often rated as the worst in the whole franchise because I would have thought the two episodes would have swapped ratings. Not that Children is great, but it like it's a functional episode of Trek, if incredibly dark. Maybe it just didn't play to 1970s sensibilities but red-face and fridging a pregnant love interest did?

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Tunicate posted:

No she gets off on candles

This episode has been built up so much over the course of my viewing the show, I'm almost at Season 7 and I'm tingling with excitement. All Good Things...? HA. Sex ghost episode. That is my endgame.

I feel like it's really got its work cut out for it be anywhere near as crazy as The Host though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Fun fact: the Asian characters' surname is Tsing Tao which is the name of a popular beer in China. I don't know that it could be a surname in Chinese, so I'm curious where the writers got it from. Almost all Chinese surnames are a single syllable and given names are typically two for a three syllable name altogether, though exceptions exist of course. However, the Chinese speakers I've spoken to in the last day certainly don't think they've ever heard of it as a surname, not that it isn't or couldn't be, but it's definitely not usual.

The character may well have been named after the beer.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MuddyFunster posted:

Sometimes you're just not in the right mindset, I guess.

Or you could say you're not in the right

Frame of Mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Except why the gently caress is Beverly an amateur metaphasic shields enthusiast? it's because she was crammed into a Worf episode b/c the staff was sick of writing worf stories