Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MrQwerty posted:

yeah, it's a pocket reference, not reading material

poo poo is great to have around in a lab or factory

It’s the more respectable Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Aramis posted:

Brother B&W network laser printer. Hands down. I got one with a feed scanner over 10 years ago and this tank is still working just as well as the day I got it.

Just be aware that the included toner cartridge is rather small, but full-sized refills last forever.

Seconded on both comments. In my experience, ink printers are universally garbage, but a good toner printer just does its job and doesn’t bug you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Electric air dusters to replace those compressed air cans, which are now up to $10 a can. I got this one and I love it. For the price of a few cans you get unlimited compressed air. The different head attachments make it useful for more than just electronics too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The bug-a-salt.

I live in wetlands and get a lot of flies sneaking in at certain times of the year, and I have killed thousands with mine. You know how they wait until you start to swing the swatter and then fly away at the last second? That doesn't happen anymore. And it's more fun.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Electric air dusters to replace those compressed air cans, which are now up to $10 a can. I got this one and I love it. For the price of a few cans you get unlimited compressed air. The different head attachments make it useful for more than just electronics too.

:monocle: Might have to get one of these when my canned air supply is gone.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looking at this I realize I have an inflatable bed air pump that, while somewhat more awkward, can accomplish the same thing. Thanks, I'll never buy cans again!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

poverty goat posted:

The bug-a-salt.

I live in wetlands and get a lot of flies sneaking in at certain times of the year, and I have killed thousands with mine. You know how they wait until you start to swing the swatter and then fly away at the last second? That doesn't happen anymore. And it's more fun.

I must be part dragonfly or something because I'm so loving good at swatting poo poo that the Karate Kid is a joke to me.

Just lead the target a little...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

GolfHole posted:

I must be part dragonfly or something because I'm so loving good at swatting poo poo that the Karate Kid is a joke to me.

I've shot flies out of the air w/ the salt gun :clint:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

root beer posted:

Seconded on both comments. In my experience, ink printers are universally garbage, but a good toner printer just does its job and doesn’t bug you.

They key difference when compared to inkjets, and this is definitely important for a home office, is that the printer can just sit there for months on end and be up-and-running at a moment's notice. No clogged nozzles, cleaning cycles, dried ink. None of that poo poo.

And to elaborate a bit, B&W printers in particular are great because, I suspect, the manufacturers figure that if they can't upsell you color, then it's not worth pushing for other junk.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I got a color brother laserjet like 3 years ago and it's still on the sample toner.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

GolfHole posted:

I got a color brother laserjet like 3 years ago and it's still on the sample toner.

Something like this is what people are saying is good?

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll3280cdw

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

oh whoops, I was mistaken. I actually have a Canon: https://www.canon.ca/en/product?nam...Colour-Printers

Same review though. No complaints, still on original toner, stays connected to my wifi without babysitting, etc.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Personally, I'd go for something like https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl2710dw. It's not the exact same model I have, but seems to be the modern equivalent. The scanner is really worth it for a home office, and for the once-in-blue-moon time where I actually need color, I just get my stuff printed at Staples.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Aramis posted:

Personally, I'd go for something like https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl2710dw. It's not the exact same model I have, but seems to be the modern equivalent. The scanner is really worth it for a home office, and for the once-in-blue-moon time where I actually need color, I just get my stuff printed at Staples.

My daughter likes making color copies of stuff so color is probably important. Are the color ones just not as reliable as the black and white ones?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

My daughter likes making color copies of stuff so color is probably important. Are the color ones just not as reliable as the black and white ones?

I'm no longer in the printer world but I was for a while and the main reason is just that theres 4+ times as many things that can go wrong

Full color printing really is a lot more complicated

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you need a color printer, get a color printer. Color laser printers aren't really any less reliable than B&W printers beyond the expected increased risk of mechanical failure (which is minimal).

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's not exactly a fair comparison. The black and white ones have the reliability of a cinderblock. Modern color laser printers seem to be plenty reliable enough for what your needs sound like.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just so you're not surprised by the cost of a color laser, they are essentially 4 copies of the mechanical guts of a printer shoved inside a single shell

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

GolfHole posted:

When I lived in Michigan I was a fly slayer, I've clapped them to death and done some ninja swats.

When I moved to Tennessee they are faster or more cunning or both.

Maybe cold flies move slower?
Possibly I'm just getting old but I had problems when I was 24 as well, they react fast in the south!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Cold flies move at the same speed but have terrible reflexes/reaction time, in my experience at least. I definitely have an easier time swatting them in the wintertime.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, that’s actually a surprisingly misleading and lovely move by Brother.

By that I mean it’s an inkjet that’s “laser-focused” on being vaguely good at things. Also it apparently has cloud printing, whatever that means and a subscription service for ink cartridges

E: or.. it is laser? Marketing material keeps saying it’s “laser quality” and “laser focused” but nowhere is it labeled as a laser printer. Very odd

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 3, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Cloud printing means it's on your home network so you can push print on your phone or whatever from anywhere and it will print. Or some hacker can use up so your ink maybe I guess

Color laser printers aren't particularly more likely to fail but the replacement drums and things are going to cost a lot more over time. But yeah, if you need color frequently then obviously you do

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Fruits of the sea posted:

E: or.. it is laser? Marketing material keeps saying it’s “laser quality” and “laser focused” but nowhere is it labeled as a laser printer. Very odd

It's definitely laser

"Toner levels" is a giveaway

Calling it laser quality is weird

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

maybealabia posted:

It's definitely laser

27 ppm also, no inkjet could dream of that.

I bought a B&W Brother laser printer in 2011 because my then-wife was in a creative writing program - it's run thousands and thousands of pages, and still works fine the couple of times a year I plug it in to print something.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

poverty goat posted:

The bug-a-salt.

We live near a bunch of farms and in the summer months we get overrun by flies. Sitting outside and shotgunning 50-60 flies before needing to refill the salt is a great way to spend an hour watching the sun set

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I simply have a friend carry a printer to me when in need

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

maybealabia posted:

It's definitely laser

It’s a color led if you look at the print specs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Circling back to this, because it's a good one.

I got the similar X-POWER one and it is so nice to never have to deal with canned air anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Inflating-Maintenance-Performance-Eco-Friendly/dp/B0B52DKNBK/ref=psdc_281501_t2_B0BB6ZZ66B

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have the same one in blue. It keeps my coffee/tea hot for probably over an hour.

Although the inside is permanently stained with coffee.

Anyone drinking coffee/tea out of travel mugs can clean them very well with this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Puro-Caff-Espresso-Cleaning-Machines/dp/B0016C2NZG

Just let a half teaspoon soak in it with hot water for a while and the brown sides will slag off. Also good for French press screens, and tea balls.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crystal Thenis posted:

for my reusables the best tip learnt is get yourself a 100 pack of dental cleaners, the little fizzy foaming tablets. the first time I dropped one into my tea flask it removed a 3 year build up of stains like nothing. super cheap and super easy. usually do it once every week with my tea flask and once a month for water ones.

This worked way better than I expected. There is some serious poo poo going on around the rim but the bottom almost looks like stainless steel now.

Thx homie.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Big Mac posted:

27 ppm also, no inkjet could dream of that.

Some can with full page width print heads

Brain Curry posted:

It’s a color led if you look at the print specs.

Ah, true. I was being sloppy and using "laser" as shorthand for toner-based but LED is technically a different tech than laser, and that explains the "laser quality" marketing because many people don't know about LED printers at all and the output is basically identical

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Learning how to type quickly was a pretty huge boost to quality of life, I forget that most people don't know how to type quickly and get surprised when someone is like "wow you type so fast!"

I know a guy who types so fast that it looks/sounds like he just slammed his hands on the keyboard but out came a perfectly formed sentence. You don't have to type that fast but >100 wpm is pretty nice and not hard to reach, especially if you're 13 and spending all day on aol instant messenger

e: I guess "typing fast" isn't an object, sorry thread

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the one that i will go to is a Big Investment but it's definitely something i feel like everyone overlooks, and that's a modern bed. by which i mean a sleep number or one of its auto-adjustable knockoffs.

I resisted getting one for years because, obviously, they are expensive (thousands of dollars), and i already slept well. i have a very positive relationship with sleep after my childhood of suffering under weekly night terrors (not nightMARES), so after getting those behind me i always looked forward to sleep and rested very well, all things considered.

a modern adjustable bed is a massive gamechanger even for someone who is already sleeping 'well'. having something just automatically handle basic sleep hygiene stuff like keeping support correct, warming your feet slightly, and ensuring appropriate head/neck tilt. the overall quality of my rest is easily up 50% since i got this thing a year ago and it's almost a superpower. i can fall asleep much more reliably, and when i wake up after 7-8 hours, i'm consistently refreshed and energized. i haven't even had a sick day since i bought it because every time i start feeling under the weather, resting actually works to fend off whatever i'm fighting. on the days i need to nap because i did not sleep well for whatever reason, napping in my bed makes me so calm and chilled out that i basically feel like i popped a valium, only it lasts for hours.

yes, it was expensive, but you spend literally a third of your life in bed. getting more out of that time is a massive win for basic, fundamental health.

what kind of bed did you get?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Learning how to type quickly was a pretty huge boost to quality of life, I forget that most people don't know how to type quickly and get surprised when someone is like "wow you type so fast!"

I know a guy who types so fast that it looks/sounds like he just slammed his hands on the keyboard but out came a perfectly formed sentence. You don't have to type that fast but >100 wpm is pretty nice and not hard to reach, especially if you're 13 and spending all day on aol instant messenger

e: I guess "typing fast" isn't an object, sorry thread

A decent keyboard is, though!

And I might not be able to hit 100 wpm but I'm a very accurate 60 or better, and even that is almost a superpower in a lot of circles.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This worked way better than I expected. There is some serious poo poo going on around the rim but the bottom almost looks like stainless steel now.

Thx homie.

Ah that’s so nice to hear ☺️

Enjoy your non coffee stink my guy, happy to have helped!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you know what would probably be good? a cow brush in your house, so you can rub against it

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
1000% on brother laser printers. I have a circa 2008 one that was super on-sale when I snagged it.

My ex called it "waking the dragon" when it turned on, mostly because it would make a racket only on the first powerup, but it would literally make the lights dim in our lovely apartment at the same time.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SAY YOHO posted:

Anyone drinking coffee/tea out of travel mugs can clean them very well with this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Puro-Caff-Espresso-Cleaning-Machines/dp/B0016C2NZG

Just let a half teaspoon soak in it with hot water for a while and the brown sides will slag off. Also good for French press screens, and tea balls.

This stuff is endlessly useful. I've also used it to descale plumbing components (filters, screens, etc) and clean out resiny weed paraphernalia.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you know what would probably be good? a cow brush in your house, so you can rub against it

boot brushes outside the doors are pretty amazing

This cold-brew coffee maker has changed my life, and we have like $1000 in coffee making equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Here is the bed thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And the printer thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862377&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

We have tv, monitor, headphones/speaker, chair, desk, computer building, CPU/GPU threads etc etc

SA is a life enhancer!